We arrived during Oct 20/12. Our rooms were very dated and fixtures and fittings were poor quality. There were 5 lamps in the room and on arrival only one of the five were working. The fridge was also not working and the air conditioning unit had a mind of its own, turning itself on and off at will and beeping each time it did so. As if that was not enough the phone would ring during the night waking me up and when I answered it there was no one there - apparently there were faults on the line. After 3 visits from maintenance the lamps and fridge were fixed, the air conditioning unit was finally disabled but the phone had to be left off the hook.
The whole Breezes complex looked tired and we were dismayed to find that significant building works were taking place on some of the accommodation blocks but also on some of the public areas meaning one of the bars was closed and part of the games room had been relocated to the gym. Lying by the pool should have been a relaxing experience but this was spoilt by the sound of angle grinders coming from the nearby accommodation block and, on occasion, from the pool bar where work was being done while the bar was still open.
Food at best was average. We were led to believe there was a choice of a la carte restaurants. In reality there was the buffet, the Italian and the Cuban restaurants. The buffet was open every evening but only one of the other two restaurants was open on any one night and on a couple of occasions only the buffet was open. Food from the buffet was repetitive, generally cold and quite frankly just about edible. Breakfast was probably the best meal of the day - there's not a lot you can do wrong to an omelette!! The waiting staff in the buffet were also not very attentive unless the management were about when suddenly things improved!
There was an entertainment program every day but it was hit and miss as to whether the activities would happen at all. The entertainment staff were pretty good but not always around.
Cocktails varied from poor to good depending on who made them. The complex also ran out of tonic water for 3 days!!!!
The internet was a waste of time - $5 CUC for 30 mins and it is so slow that we couldn't check in for our flight on line within the 30mins.
This was my second visit to Cuba and I would definitely go again. On this trip I spent 3 nights in Havana at the Parque Central (which was fantastic) before going to Breezes for 11 nights. To be honest, had it not been for a really nice group of people that we met in Breezes then we would have requested a move to another complex or returned to Havana.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Los Cactus is a Super-Inclusive Resort for adults -singles and couples 12 years and older , where all meals, wine, local and international beverages, water sports, land sports with equipment and instruction, entertainment and other activities are included in one single price. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Los Cactus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breezes Varadero Hotel Varadero
- Breezes Hotel Varadero
- Varadero Breezes Hotel
- Breezes Varadero Cuba
- Superclubs Breezes Varadero Hotel