“Back again”
Review of Hotel Bella Costa

Hotel Bella Costa
Ranked #34 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We travelled from Jan 23 to Jan 30 2014. This was our 3rd visit in three years. So obviously we love this resort. We have been to Cuba 5 times and have stayed at Breezes Bella Costa three years in a row.

The staff remember us as soon as they see us and they are just so friendly towards us and I see towards eachother. Because we were returning guests we were given an amazing room on the top floor at the end of the hall. It had a a huge wrap a round balcony. We had ocean view, from one side we could get a clear view of the Dupont house and at the other end the golf course and the Ocean between Varadero and Cuba. We had a bottle of Rum and a nice card from guest services welcoming us back. They had a returning guests dinner that was amazing.

Pool bar bartenders Alexis, Rene and Sergio go above the call of duty to make you happy. They now call me family. Brought a tear to my eye when I walked up to the bar and they were so excited to see me back again.

Check in all three visits extremely fast and pleasant.

Jimmy's buffet has something to offer for every taste. Breakfast lunch and dinner. Oemlette station is very good. Some mornings I opted for just fried eggs and sometimes the omelette. Their fresh bread is always fresh and so good. Fresh orange juice soooo good. For lunch and dinner the pasta station is also very good. But they have lots more to offer than that. Thursday night is lobster night and it has always been good. I cannot comment on the alacart restaurants because we have never been in three years. I don't like planning ahead what time I want to eat and Jimmy's buffet has so much variety I never got sick of the food.

Each year we have gone out for dinner one night and went to The Casa Del Chef in town. The price has never changed and it is 14 pesos for a Broiled Lobster dinner. Soup, Salad, dinner and dessert. They grilled the lobster right on the patio and it was amazing. If you are not a lobster fan they have a wide selection of dinners.

Breezes Bella Costa also has scooters to rent right in the parking lot, if you want to explore on your own. Very resonable.

There are always taxis and horse and buggy's during the day.

For the first time this year we were introduced to the Beatles Club, all I can say is WOW!!!!!!! If you like Rock N Roll, this is a must. They did Led Zepplin, ACDC, Rolling Stones, Red hot Chillie Peppers and on and on. And they did all the songs amazingly. Beers were 2 pesos and liquior 3 pesos. No cover. The setting is outside on a patio. Sound system is awesome. Get there by 9:00 to 9:15 to get in otherwise you stand on the street.

If you have never been to Cuba keep an open mind. You will not eat the food you are accustomed too. If you like spicey bring some hot sauce. If you only like Heinz ketchup bring it. They try very hard to please us and they are amazing friendly people if you treat them like they are. When I get home I always stop at my local pub and get a steak because I miss my beef.

I also make sure I drink lots of water in between beverages during the day and I bring a can of crystal gatorade to keep hydrated.

Treat these people like family and that is what you will get in return plus some.

I will be going back to this resort for the 4th time next year.

10  Thank LindaLoo04

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Overall we really enjoyed our vacation. We were there from January 5-12, 2014. It was exactly what we were looking for, a relaxing week of sun and sand at a very reasonable price.

I was travelling with two kids and my mother so I really appreciated the 2 bedroom villas available only from Nolitours. The extra space was fantastic. I don't know that I will ever be able to go back to 4 people sharing one little hotel room.

The rooms were a little run down, and it leaked like sieve in the crazy rain storm we had one night, but it didn't dampen our vacation (although it did dampen all our towels soaking up the water!).

They have lost a lot of beach to erosion. There is plenty of coral visible and water shoes would have made getting in and out of the ocean more comfortable. However, if you travel to the other side of the hotel, and walk for a bit you find the gorgeous sandy beaches you're looking for in Cuba.

We were always able to find shade and lounge chairs down at the beach, regardless of what time we finally got there. This was a nice change from some resorts where people are putting out their towels at 6 am. While we never swam in the pool, there were usually lounge chairs available on the deck as well.

The food....well, it's Cuba so I didn't have high expectations. There didn't seem to be as large a selection as I have seen at other resorts I have been to in Cuba and the line ups for specials (grill, omelettes, pizza, pasta) were long and discouraging. We were always able to find something to eat, but there is definitely room for improvement.

I would think that a resort that seems to cater to families would have more child-friendly selections. But having experience traveling with my picky children, I brought along some snacks from home that helped round out some of their meals.

As everyone has said, you can't beat the people in Cuba and at the resort. Everyone we came across was happy to help you with anything you needed.

I would definitely go back with my kids. The extra space at a reasonable price definitely made up for some of the minor shortcomings of this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank tattooedmamma
Reviewed February 4, 2014

This was our second time at this resort, we were there 18 of us for our wedding from Jan 25th to Feb 1st. What a wonderful week, the weather was just amazing and the people are so great at this resort...some remembered us from the first time we were there :-)

If you want to get married at this resort you will have the time of your life, the wedding planners Haydelis and Anita are the best :-) Our pictures are so beautiful. Thank you so much ladies for everything that you did for us.

We had the Ocean View family Suite once again with Nolitours and it was great, I really recommend this room when you have kids.

The beach was beautiful but one little downfall is that the Nolitours side of the beach is mostly all gone since they got hit by a hurricane so not really much of it left but to the left side the beach is beautiful. I would recommend reserving chairs since it gets crowded very early.

The food was really good, we ate at the Japanese (our favorite), Italian and Cuban and they were all amazing. The Buffet was also good a bit of everything and the Grill Buffet on the beach was really good, good homemade pizza.

The pool is also really nice and clean, lots of chairs but I would again recommend reserving them first thing in the morning.

Are favorite drinks were served at the lobby bar and the pool bar, really nice and friendly staff at both places.

The front desk staff are always willing to help with any questions you have, we had such a great time with them :-)

One thing I can say please DO NOT listen to the negative reviews if you do you will miss out on something really good. We've been there twice and will be returning and if you look at the reviews alot of people go back which this is a good sign :-)

Thank you Breeze Bella Costa for making our week and wedding so memorible.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Pat-Chantal
Reviewed February 3, 2014

First time to Varadero Cuba. The resort was amazing, our room was great. Had an ocean view room. Very kid friendly !! Entertainment everyday and evenings, 4 restaurants on the resort, Italian, Japanese, Cuban, and a mix of food in the other, so you can always find something you will like. The coffee is amazing as well. My husband loved the freshly squeezed orange juice each morning, we also loved the pasta. We spent most of our days at the beach. It was amazing, the water was warm, weather was beautiful ! Visited Varadero and also old and new Havana. Will I go back in a heart beat..

7  Thank Denden238
Reviewed February 2, 2014

we arrived jan 6 for 1 week whit air transat ,staff at the resort is very frently from front desk to bar resturant and lobby and maid's all did a amazing job to keep the place clean and organised ,we stayed at the 6 th floor no bug's gread grade vieuw at beach and tuxcan ,bud 1 week is to short, so we will be back2 weeks the next time ,our tour to havana was great very very good tour guide learned a lot a bout cuba, negatif the nois of the tuxcan but if you can't bead them join them gread shows wath them from my room , thanks to JANEN and CHINA in the buffet , and DAVIT for entertainment , see you on our next trip.

Room Tip: go 6 th floor ,no bug's
5  Thank 177bart
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This is my 3rd trip here and was automatically treated like that when I walked in to check in. The staff at the desk recognized me and verified my name. I had my room number right away and was told by 3pm as what is the norm. I asked if sooner. I was told check again at 130pm for which it was ready. I was shown my room. One of my favourite luggage guys told me to go to my room and he would grab my luggage with no waiting for him. With-in a few minutes I had my luggage and my shorts on. I was at the pool right after that and had Alexis one of my bartenders friends see me 5 feet away and had my first beer in my hand by the time I got to the bar. It was that kind of week with alot of the staff. I am family with them now. I see security guys see me come up to me and shake my hand a welcome back and shake my hand when I was getting back on the bus coming home. I had that experience in the restaurants all the time also. I only go once a year too. I am not a frequent during the year here. I love the food. I love my pasta and the food in the Japanese restaurant. I enjoy the pizza's in the outdoor restaurant for lunch and the breakfasts in Jimmy's in the especially the omelets. The beach although the geography of it has changed due to storms coming through is still nice. The hot tubs have improved greatly since I was there last January. People I talked to love the excursions. I went to the Beatles Bar in town. The cover-band was amazing. The drinks are cheap and they don't go cheap on it. I rarely ran into people who made major complaints. You have to remember you aren't staying in a $500 a night room. I slept in it and that was about it. I had a decent room this year. It had some issues but nothing I haven't seen before like no holder for the toiler paper. I had the same issue in Jamaica last year. I don't think I could really say anything bad about this trip at all other than I should have stayed longer this time. I will be coming back at the end of January next year if not sooner.

Room Tip: 6th floor is quiet and has a decent view. I had golf course view with a great look at the ocean. I h...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
7  Thank Ian C
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Generally I wouldn't post a review, nor do I take reviews to heart when I read them, but I felt compelled to review this resort. The room was an absolute dive! There was mould in the air conditioner, balcony, and bathroom. I called down to the front desk after our first night there, and I was told the hotel was too full, and they would not move us. I was extremely upset about this- 7 days in mould?! Really?! This was supposed to be a amazing resort!! I asked them to give us some bleach or equivalent so we could clean it ourselves- they pretended they did not comprehend what I was saying! Trying to dry your bathing suit was near impossible- everything was + damp/wet.
Food was terrible as well. If you enjoy seafood, then you will probably make out okay. I survived off bread, eggs and ice cream! Martino's, however, for the a la carte was great! Super service and great tasting food!
The resort itself was fine- water and beach was amazing, but lots of spots with corral- risk of cutting your feet open! There were some spots on the grounds that required some work- chipped stones etc creating a potential fall risk, especially for seniors!
I would NOT recommend this resort! Although the resort in itself was fine, everything else was terrible! We arrived Friday, and were ready to come home tuesday! I wouldn't pay any more than 500$ for this place! Overall, veery disappointed!

• Stayed: January 2014