“golf trip”
Review of Hotel Bella Costa

Hotel Bella Costa
Ranked #34 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed January 3, 2014

They had a good variety of food and the rooms were good.Golf course next door to the hotel and the course will pick you up just outside the front entrance and take you to the club house.We took the golf package but they get you on a 40.00 dollar cart rental each time you play.That's the only extra cost and the course is long and lots of water.So bring a few extra balls with you lol.Beach was beautiful.I hope i helped you golfer make a decision

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Allan2014
Write a ReviewReviews (3,539)

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have been meaning to write my review for quite awile now, but life gets in the way. I am now planning my next visit for 2014.

I absolutely love going to Bella Costa and cannot picture going anywhere else in Varadero.

The reason I find this resort so wonderful is how people are made to feel comfortable and welcomed. Everyone is so pleasant. A smile is priceless...and no tip is needed to receive one or to give one.

The first 2 visits I stayed in the Villa section and loved it. In June 2013, we booked in the hotel section and was extremely pleasantly surprised. Beautiful views. Room was kept clean. I have no complaints. NONE. I am quite lazy and asked for 2nd floor, we received it.

The staff at Mirador restaurant were amazing. 3 names stand out, Diana, Jackelin and Fermin. WOW...they can teach a thing or two to some high end restaurant staff here in Toronto. Made us feel special, talked to us when we engaged them in conversation and helped us order our meals, I am a picky eater and thoroughly enjoyed our dinners there.

The food is not something I will rave about. I am extremely picky and stick to certain foods. I have asked for some of my meats to be grilled a little more and it was done with a smile on the chef's face. What more can I ask for?

The pool bartenders, well these gentlemen were amazing. We would be walking up to the bar and they would start our orders, give us a wave, ask if we wanted anything else. The cappacino's they made for us...well, let's just say I crave them now and wish Tim Hortons or Starbucks would make them like our Bella Costa way. Alexis, Cuquito and Gilbe are 3 that stood out to us...but ALL of the bartending staff at the pool were fabulous.

The lobby bar...we didn't spend too much time inside...but when we did..Barbara was and I am sure still is a gem. She reminds me of an aunt in the family that welcomes you to her home.

The entertainment staff, bar none, is the best I have seen in all of my 20+ years of travel. I have been to numerous Carribean islands, DR, Mexico, Aruba etc and Europe. Jesus and his team are exceptional. Jesus is by far an asset to this resort. Him and his team will make their rounds to all guests in the day and if you want to participate, then you can, if you don't, they tell you to be careful of the sun and let you be. No hassle to play games or do exercises or even to dance if you don't feel like it.

I was so impressed with this last stay that I sought out the Manager, on my last day, to inform him of how happy we were. I realized that this gentleman, after meeting him, was walking through the grounds daily, interacting with the guests regularly. He was very accessible. This initself is not a normal occurance. When you lead a team to know that the customer experience is their number one focus, wonderful results will occur.

I applaud the Bella Costa and hope they change nothing. Whenever I am asked about my travels, Bella Costa is the first place I recomend.

Thank you for making all my stays memorable and I look forward to returning soon.

Suzi C.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank Suzi C
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Just returned from 8 day stay (December 20th to 28th 2013). Traveled with our 2 teenagers and our older children for a total of 7 of us. Had 4 rooms.This was my wife's and my first trip to Cuba and we were not expecting the resort to be pristine but we were very disappointed by the rooms. Reality is you really don't spend much time in them but issues did put a damper on the overall enjoyment of the trip. Biggest issues were:
1). 3 of the 4 rooms had door closer arms on the entry doors that would drop down and catch the top of the door letting the door only open about 6 inches. If you are tall enough you can just push the arm up and open the door. My wife is 5'2" and got trapped in the room more than once. Strike plate on the bathroom door was falling off and that door would stick shut as well.
2). Our beds were terrible. We were supposed to have 2 rooms with king beds and 2 rooms with twin beds. Our room had a true king bed and the rest all had 2 twin beds. To make a king bed in one of the other rooms the two twin beds were just pushed together. Oh well not the end of world but regardless the mattresses were all very uncomfortable and the sheets were not big enough for the one true king bed we did have and would come off the bed each night.
3). One room had water leaking in from the ceiling in the bathroom
4). One room had little or no hot water for showering
5). No screens are on the balcony doors and all the balcony doors howled with the wind
Other reviews talk about about chipped tiles and mold in the bathroom and we had that in our room as well. Our older daughter and her husband were with us on this trip and this was their second stay in Cuba. They said the rooms were not even close to the rooms where they stayed before (forget the name of the resort) but they rated the food better and other amenities better here. The rest of the resort we found to be good to great. Service was great by all the staff we interacted with. We found some really tasty food and some not so great stuff but there was enough to chose from that no one went hungry. My biggest beef about the food is that most of the buffet food was luke warm or cold all the time, even when it was just brought out from the kitchen. Also some of the food was miss labeled. There are actually 3 beaches to choose from although one was posted as an exclusive for some guests but we were not asked to move when we checked it out for a day. Had a great time at all 3. Beaches and pool can get crowded but we always managed to find a spot. Would come back again if the beds and the rooms were updated

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Allan J
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed one week up until Dec. 25th. The flight from Hamilton with Sunwing was smooth and quite fast, they served pizza or smoked meat on a bun, the movie Red 2 was a bit inappropriate for children. Arrived early afternoon, and it was lovely, warm and sunny. Bus trip to hotel was about half and hour, and nicely air conditioned.
Check in was quick and up to our room on the third floor, asked for an upgrade however the hotel was full for the holidays. No biggie. Our room overlooked the golf course. Was dated, nice orange and yellow, but always clean. We are a Days inn kind of family and were fine with the room, If you are a Hilton king of family or cannot overlook broken tile, old furniture, don't bother. However, the room was big enough for the four of us, two double beds pushed together, and they brought in a single. Tons of sleep room. Find the dark out blind to help with the sleeping in. The maid Marta was amazing, always left some sort of blanket and towel creation for our daughters (age 6 and 9). Air conditioning made a noise, but it was nice to drown out the snoring, but did not keep the room as cool as would have liked.
Food: well we have a very picky eater, who I will say at least tried some of the foods she was familiar with however cause it wasn't like home she would not eat it. She did not like the sauce and taste of cheese on the pizza, the milk was not cold for her cereal, she did not like french fries unless crispy(usually soggy) did not like mashed potatoes (boxed), did not like any ice cream except vanilla (offered, cream, lemon, my fav.'t coconut). She was able to find buns and butter, brought our own peanut butter, and cheese whiz. She did enjoy the pasta bar a few times and tolerated the tomato soup spagetti sauce. Ate the plain white rice, but sometimes they would add mushrooms or bits of meat. She did eat the fresh turkey and chicken that was roasted or cooked, but did say it was hard to chew cause it was so dry. She did not like the cheese's they offered at all, simply wanted a marble. I got excited one evening they were offering scalloped potatoes, but they were very crunchie and too hard she exclaimed. She did not like the fresh squeezed orange juice in the morning, or even the sprite cause it was not the same as home (I warned you she is very picky). By the forth day my daughter simply just didn't eat, frustrating from a mom's point of view, but I knew she wouldn't let herself starve.
However my other daughter always found something to eat. Breakfast was always the best, eggs, donuts, toast, omlets, bacon, fresh juices, fresh fruit, pancakes, french toast, not to mention the left overs usually from the night before make into some sort of dish. Lunch was usually at the beach, pizza, pasta, or burger which we browned a bit longer on the griddle. Fries, chicken or pork offered, beans and rice usually. As a mom, I missed simple lettuce. There is always plenty of shredded cabbage, carrots, tomato, cucumbers, peppers. But usually could only find oil and vinegar to put on to it. I would love to have met with the chef and Canadianize, and kidized some of the food that they offered. They had a few different kind of beans out, if he could just mix them and make a lovely bean salad, I believe less would have been wasted. I know that certain things are hard to come by in Cuba, but from what I saw on the buffet, they could easily make potato salad, cold slaw, shepard's pie, spagetti sauce with real tomato. They had awesome little meat balls except they were served as a breakfast sausage instead of ontop of the spagetti. They usually had one soup available that I enjoyed, but would have to add things to them as it was usually just a great broth, missing the veggie and or meat. We were offered shrimp, lobster, fish, roast pig (twice), roast turkey, roasted chicken, steaks, ham, on different evenings. The choices always plentiful and everyone should be able to find something to eat, just have to use your creative juices, and imagination at times. All in all I would rate the food at a 2 and a half out of 5. What I did eat was good, but could have been better, or warmer. But certainly did enjoy that I did not have to cook, or do the dishes.
The entertainment for the kids at night was always a delight, and then the adult show after was enjoyalbe as well. My kids got to participate in the kids shows, and had fun on stage. Christmas eve, was constant entertainment throughout the hotel, and into evening, and they had the best dinner offered that evening. Not to mention Santa came with presents for the kids, super thanks for the extra effort, as we were leaving Christmas day.
The pool was cool to get into for mom, but lovely and refreshing once into it. Fresh towels always available, and usually loungers free. The pool bar, had amazing staff, and were super with the kids, loved these pina colada's the best.
The beach was always busy, we had great weather, and everyone loved the warm clear ocean water. Did however get a bit red, so need to remember to keep on top of the sunlotion. After the beach we would shower off and go for a dip in the pool to de-sand a bit.
It was nice a shallow, and typically easy enough to find a chair to sit on.
Great coffee at the lobby coffee bar, however if you are a tetley tea drinker bring your own tea bags. Even offered hot chocolate too, and after the shows you could get a little snack at the lobby bar, sandwich or donuts.
My daughters both got a bit of a bug, one in bed all day vommiting and cramping, it didn't last long, and from mom's chatting sounded like it was happening all around with the kids. Our maid kept checking on us, offered water, and was a real gem.
Staff were always friendly, with a Hola greating, tipped, but it certainly wasn't expected. Manager always present and available, nice that all had name tags. Everyone always dressed appropriately and professionally.
Took a taxi into the market, 15 peso to and 10 peso home. Got some lovely gifts to bring home, and always barter, walk away and you can return later to have an even different price.
Kids club, my girls used once to do a Christmas eve show, that was a hit, staff amazing and very friendly.
Check out was smooth and quick.
We exchanged money at the front desk, not the best rate, but by the time I paid for a taxi to go to the bank it was simply easier. $200.00 canadian=186.00 pesos, but it can change day to day.
Airport was busy but smooth, had to wait but never too long. Great duty free, quick boarding and take off.

Would I return, if I was taking my children, yes, it was the perfect size resort and had lots to do and see, and the kids loved it, espeically the fact that there were lots of other kids to play with. As a couple only, I would go somewhere else as this place is not a loud, stay up all night, drink til dawn, heavy drinking place to stay, it is definately for families.
I think that the hotel could easily be rated higher with a simple few changes to the food.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank quessy
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Just retuned from 2 great weeks at the Breezes Bella Costa in Varadero Cuba. The hotel was good, the food was excellent, the weather and beach were fantastic. But as always the Cuban people were the star of the vacation. The service was excellent and the staff were always warm and friendly. Just to single out a few of the wonderful people we met who provided us with such excellent service, a big thank you to Jaksser, Elizabeth and Jose.
You have to try the roast pig on Saturday for lunch, lobster tails in the buffet on Thursday nights and the super Cuban coffee at breakfast. Really do not understand how someone would not enjoy the food here.

One thing that I did not like has nothing to do with the hotel, but with the tourist at the resort. Why do some tourist think the beach is a garbage can or an ashtray. the hotel staff tried very hard to keep the beach clean, but it is very difficult when the guest keep leaving all their garage and cigarette butts on the beach. I wonder if the do that in their yard at home?

If you like to just relax, have fun, and enjoy the weather this is the place for you.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Robert B
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Breezes Bella Costa was my first experience outside of North America. I really enjoyed myself and may return again. The Staff was totally amazing. I especially want to thank Jaksser and Elizabeth in Jimmy's and Barbara and Javier at the lobby bar. They went above and beyond! Our room was interesting but liveable. A few repairs would be very beneficial. The real complaint I have is that our King bed was actually two twins pushed together. The view of the pool and ocean was amazing and provided us with many photos. My wife was ill for a couple days but our daughter was sick before we left so that is likely the blame. One water bottle was provided at check in and the restaurant staff will gladly refill it as often as needed, so don't drink the tap water. The best part of our stay was a Catamaran tour to visit dolphins. Our tour guide, Elvis (really) was amazing and Oscar the dolphin was wonderful. We also took a full day trip tour to Havana including the Tropicana show which was enlightening to say the least. If you do this tour be prepared to be overwhelmed with people trying to get your pesos one way or another, although you are always safe. My only real problem was no internet was available. There is a computer room available with internet for sale but it is very slow and unreliable. All in all a great vacation.

Room Tip: The poolside (Oceanview) is amazing although there is a stage show every night running fairly late a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kerry B
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We were at this property for a week in April. The property is a typical Cuban resort. 4 star is really 2 star at best compared to other resort destinations. The staff were the best part of the trip as they were very hospitable and really tried hard. The food at the buffets was ok. The lobster night is a good time and lots to eat if you like lobster.

We went to all the a la carte restaurants. They do require long pants to go in so bring some if you plan to go. The food there was presented well but again no where near 4 star.

Our room on the first night was not very nice as we arrived on a Saturday and the property was full. There were ants under the covers. The beds are horrible. At least 30 year old matresses and either hard as a rock or too soft to sleep in. The AC was not working. There was a leak in the ceiling. The bathroom was full of mould around the basebaords, and the window was cracked. We finnally were moved to a pool side room were we found the beds to be bigger but the room still had a very sterile feel to it. Don't stay near the pool if you want quiet as the show goes on late and is pretty loud.

The best part of the vacation was the golf and the beaches. The courseplayed very fair and was still interesting after 5 rounds. Make sure you have the included golf pack. $30 cart fee is paid each day and the store your clubs. Every morning the cart would pick us up at the gate for an easy ride to the club house.

The beaches and the ocean was the best part. Just liek a post card. Blue water and white sand. Very beautiful. I would play golf every day and my GF would head to the beach at 8 am so we both got what we needed out of the vacation.

Room Tip: Take tabasco sauce, Clamato and seasonings for food. We brought 2 bottles of Clam for Caesars and it...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple