“First Trip To Cuba.”
Review of Melia Las Antillas

Melia Las Antillas
Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My Family vacationed at Melia Las Antillas, between March 13-20. I traveled with my husband and two 16 year old's. I booked this resort after reading the reviews back in January, Only 350 rooms, also friends had recommended it. Prior to our departure date, some of the reviews were not so great, I was very on easy upon arrival on the 13th.
When we arrived the Ladies at the check-in counter were very pleasant,(sorry I didn't get names). Our rooms were located side by side third floor in the villas,overlooking the pool.
Our rooms large and very clean, wonderful cleaning staff.
The grounds are well looked after and beautiful.
Over the years, I heard many comments about Cuba food being very blah and not so good, I thought just the opposite, my family and I had no problem finding something to eat on or off the resort.
My husband and I both found the two Ladies at the pool bar to be super nice,remembering our drinks and names all week.(I wish i had wrote names down, instead of relying on my memory)
The pool is big and clean. All kinds of chairs at pool and beach. Entertainment in the evening is good, at the lobby bar and pool. After 10:30 pm not much going on, which suited us fine we were ready for bed anyway.
Money is very easy to exchange on the resort.
We cabbed it into varadaro twice just to walk around and chat with locals, Each evening we dined in town once at Varadaro 60,service is slow yet worth the wait, excellent food.We also dined at Dante's(Italian) in the park also very tasty.
Instead of doing the day trip to Havana with a bus tour, we hired a guide named Hernan,who came very highly recommended and also works at the resort( extra income on his day off). You can usually find him around the towel hut. We were not disappointed,great day picked up at 8 and returned at 5:30 pm. Thanks for a Super Day...
We also did the catamaran excursion, great day snorkeling, playing with dolphins,relaxing and enjoying the breath taking views as we sailed.I also need to mention Sunwing flights to and from were pleasant and comfortable.
I would like to Thank the Manager at the Melia Las Antillas, My Husband and I had the pleasure and opportunity to meet him shortly after arriving.We also continued to see him walking the grounds throughout the week. Great job!
Thanks to all the staff at Melia Las Antillas we left Cuba with some amazing memories...

The Blanchard's
Prince Edward Island
CANADA

Room Tip: We were in Villa's 6625 and 6626 third floor, overlooking pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Cheryl B
Fabrizio T, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Meliá Las Antillas. We are very pleased to know that it was your first trip to Cuba and to read that you enjoyed an amazing time with us.
Thank you for all your positive comments and for note the hard work of our staff.
Allow me to reiterate our gratitude for choosing Meliá Las Antillas and for taking the time to share your comments with us. We hope you can come return soon with your family.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here from Feb 18-25, 2013. We were two couples in our early thirties.

Common spaces: beautiful and well maintained. We loved the atmosphere in the restaurants, bars, and sitting areas. Saw cleaning staff regularly, and felt comfortable anywhere we choose to relax. Loved the older buffets, cabinets, light fixtures, and rocking chairs throughout the building. Only exceptions to cleanliness were the disco and the exercise room. The disco bathrooms were horrendous, smelled very bad never any toilet paper. The exercise rooms had no supplied drinking water or cups and no towels or spray bottles to wipe down sweaty equiptment.

Rooms: both our room and our friends room had a very musty/moldy smell that aggravated our breathing and stuffed us up any time we were in them. This did seem like a widespread complaint among guests here. Original doors and other wood furniture in room made it charming, though a very good stripdown of paint before the next coat would make the hotel feel more cared for instead of just tolerated. The beds were so comfy and i did sleep well despite not being able to breathe. Cleaning staff were great aside from never leaving us any water. They knew we were drinking water as we left our empties near the garbage but never restocked us. We had to beg for it at the bars where all they had was the sparkling stuff or they scolded us for not asking the maids. Sorry but I am not waiting around for the maids to show up to beg for water. The notes and tips we left did not seem to help either. Only other suggestion for rooms would be to replace the ceiling in the bathrooms. I would bet that mouldy smell came from the corrugated tin that made up the ceiling.

Pool: did not spend much time here as It was my first time seeing the ocean and that was where I preferred to be. Hot tub was great though, our last night we were in there very late and as long as we were quiet(ish) the security guy did not seem to mind.

Food: wonderful food at the buffet restaraunt. Tons of selection and though some were odd we could always find great things to eat. Popular in our group were the omelet station where John Danny made perfect eggs, the fresh fruit stand where we consumed buckets of papaya, and the indoor and outdoor grills at supper time. We ate seafood at every meal and thoroughly enjoyed that. If we chose beef it was always very tough, though after seeing some farm animals on a tour that was pretty self explanitory. Jerilyn was our evening server and she was wonderful. Sweet, cheerful, never left us with an empty glass, and would take a minute to ask about our day or answer questions about the resort or life in Cuba. The a la carts had great desserts but that was about the highlight. Waitstaff in the Cuban restaraunt were short bordering on rude, lobster was very overdone. The el romantico was pretty but servings were so tiny we had to go to the buffet following the meal and grab a snack. One addition to the buffet restaraunt I would suggest would be to supply utensils to crack the crab open with. One meal they had beautiful crab but it was all in the shell and you could not get at 75% of the meat. I do not like to waste things and that was exactly what that meal was. So sad to see yummy crab get thrown away because we could not get the meat out!

Entertainment: I do understand the limitations with evening entertainment because of the multiple languages that stay at this resort. Much of the entertainment was dancing shows that got old fast. Our favorite was the synchronized swimming/dance show.

Excursions: we do not like to sit around all day. I think we spent one day total at the beach and an hour or two here or there aside from that. We booked a private driver into havana and for a group of four of us it was cheaper and more relaxed than the bus tour. Our sunwing rep reccomended Oswaldo and he gave us options and offered suggestions of things we would enjoy. The open air restaraunt he chose was our favorite meal of the week with perfect lobster and great appies! The highlight of the catamaran tour was the nets to lay out on. The crew was energized but the snorkeling was poor, the restaraunt at cayo blanco just herded us all through like cattle, and the habitat of the dolphins made a few of us uncomfortable. Would not reccomended the catamaran tour. The jeep tour was amazing! Calm boat ride down the river, amazing (though short) snorkeling with some instruction for us first timers, another open air restaraunt, a peek at farm life, and a quick swim in the saturno cave. Great day!

Did get sad the day after I returned home to find that I had left a beautiful top behind. I would have paid to have it shipped back to me but emails were never answered and phonecalls never returned. Hopefully someone claimed it and it is being used. Would hate to have had I get thrown out!!

All in all a great trip! Interesting while speaking to other travelers, very few had good things to say about their resorts. Not sure but maybe we just have lower expectations? Gave our resort name to many people but I am not sure they will be impressed by that either. When I began to understand what kind of country Cuba is I had no problem tipping(though tipping to use the washrooms while off resort was my biggest gripe).

We will definatly go back to cubs and what an amazing place! I would stay at this resort as well but first I need to explore the rest of the country!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Chrisjen99

Dear guest,
It is really nice to read the detailed feedback you had placed about your recent stay in our resort. We do appreciate the time you had taken to share your valuable impressions to other users.
Comments like yours are very important to keep working every day to exceed the expectations of our customers and achieve ever greater improvement of our staff.
Do not hesitate in contacting us if you are planning to come again to Melia Las Antillas

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We just got back from our second trip to this hotel. Although listed as 5 star, one has to remember that Cuban 5 star is not exactly the same as ours. Having said that, we would definitely go again. The little things which take away from a full 5 star rating are the bathroom plumbling and window fixtures etc but on the plus side, the staff are amazing. They are very friendly and go out of their way to be helpful. The rooms are nice and comfortable and the lounge/lobby is very cosy. The beach is fantastic. The food was absolutely excellent with an amazing variety . We had salmon several times and also lobster. One nice feature about Varadero in general is the excellent open top double deck bus service. It is only a 5 minute walk to the bus stop from the hotel and it runs every 15 minutes from 9 am till 9 pm and the fare is $5.00 per person. Your ticket lets you get on and off as often as you like during this time period for the day on which it was issued. We stayed on the bus and did the complete circuit which took us through the city and out to the point. This is an inexpensive city tour.
All in all an excellent hotel to choose for your vacation.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the 4th or 5th floor of the main building. They have the greatest views from t...
4  Thank Bill B

Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing our Hotel, the Meliá Las Antillas for the second time.
We are delighted to know that you will come back. Thanks for all your positive comments, especially the ones referring the kindness of our staff.
Thanks for being part of our big family and please feel free to contact us for the third occasion.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

This was my second trip to Cuba and first to Melia Las Antillas- absolutely gorgeous. From the gazebos to the little lake, pool, and amazing beach it was first class all the way. People are always friendly and greeting guests, I got to know a few by name including "Gato"...the welcome committee cat in the lobby. The room was clean and well stocked including a nice package of soaps and lotion, the bathroom included a bidet and we never ran out of toilet paper!! Would have enjoyed a little more soda drinks but they were replenished daily so we never really missed them for long. Lots of opportunities to purchase little trinkets and located close to the shopping mall- we took the Coco Cab back to the hotel and I wish I could have toured the whole country in that little cab- the fresh air was wonderful and no glass between us and the view. Always stocked with beach towels and lots of available chair loungers I can honestly say we didn't have an issue the whole week!! Even the one day it rained we went into the jacuzzi and enjoyed nice warm water with the cooler weather.

Room Tip: a room facing the pool has the nicest view of all the palm trees although it can get a little noisy...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Rainbow1313

Dear guest,
We are deeply pleased that you have come to Melia Las Antillas in your second trip to Cuba and that you have encountered our services absolutely gorgeous.
We also want to thank you for your comments about the staff and we are really glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the nearest attractions.
Thank you very much for your nice notes on your stay with us. We look forward to welcome you soon again.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I had the time of my life in this resort: excellent food, world class entertainment and wonderful staff! The beaches on turquoise waters are to die for.
The hotel is not entirely new so there are a few drawbacks in terms of the bathroom plumbing, fixtures etc. but the park-like gardens crisscrossed by a man-made laguna system, the quality of food, entertainment, and not to forget the lovable staff certainly make good on that.
I would go back immediately if I could.
If you go pack whatever you can spare in terms of used clothing, shoes etc. in good condition, electronics, toiletries, medical supplies to give discretely to the locals. Cubans will make good use of your donations. For those of you who can spare a used laptop in working condition please give it to the choreographer of 'Havana Dance Show', Joemis Lopez Portuondo. Their nightly dance performances are world class and a laptop for their auditions would be of great help. They are so hard working for their audience, see for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH5lAT6SqUA
Your feedback is appreciated!

Room Tip: rooms a little bit away from the main building are quieter. The nightly entertainment on the lobby p...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank BeeVancouver

Dear guest,
We were delighted to read that you has the time of your life during your stay in Meliá Las Antillas.
We are very glad you enjoyed the food, beaches and specially the animation staff and the dance performances at night.
Thanks for recommend us and we hope you can come back soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at Las Antillas from March 11 - 18, 2013. I must first comment on the beach...WOW...it is spectacular, the water is the deepest blue, and very warm, the sand is soft as powder....no wonder it is rated in the top 10 beaches of the world!

I do not understand the complaints of the food. Everything we had was tasty, the variety incredible...I had lobster everyday, and it did not have an extra charge! I was a bit disappointed with breakfast, why because they seem to always run out of some key ingredients at the omelette bar, and I like oatmeal and there was never any to be had. The a la cartes were fabulous we ate at all 3 of them. The problem with the a la cartes was they were never more than 25% full, but to get into them you had to make a reservation 2 days in advance. Making a reservation was not the issue, why not fill up the space with customers.

I did find some minor downfalls, but if they improved on these points they would get a 5 star rating:

Rooms and lobby are dated, and could use a major pick me up. Broken tiles, and plumbing that is falling apart should not be the norm in any hotel. I will say that they are in the process of replacing al the bar fridges, and TV's...so they are working on it. The maids and grounds keepers are very hardworking and friendly people.

Some of the bartenders came off as rude, it was like you were a burden, when asking for a drink, even if you were a patient, tipping customer.

Pool service would be expected at anything above a 4 star hotel, and this alone would make a huge difference.

The entertainment team needs to engage their visitors a little more, I hardly seen any of them for the week that we were there. The have an awesome ping pong table, but could not locate the paddles and balls.

The need to provide a binder in the rooms with information on the where's and the how to's of the resort.

The major pro is the staff, we found that 98% of them to be very friendly and very hard working. So here is my honorable mention of the staff that made my vacation memorable: Yitzy, Suset, Elio, Roni, Candido, Ayleen, Marylies and many more.

There was always some form of live entertainment at most of the venues, and it was mostly good, so go out and enjoy your pina colada, watch the water show, or enjoy some of the live entertainment at the lobby bar. Remember you are not in Canada, and things are not the same, enjoy your vacation, and do not sweat the small stuff!

Room Tip: Stay in the villa's but be forewarned, if you are on the 3rd floor be prepared to walk up and do...
7  Thank thewonderseeker
Fabrizio T, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for your invaluable comments and for referring details about your recent experience at Melia Las Antillas.
We are glad to know you had a wonderful vacation at our hotel and we appreciate your comments about the staff and for referring some of them.
We have taken note of all your tips and we thank you for this.
It would be a pleasure to receive you again.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

As our "honeymoon" destination, after 24 years of being together and raising our son and daughter, this was our first trip outside Canada and a wonderful respite from work! We found the facility clean, the staff friendly and helpful, and the variety of food outstanding. There was something for everyone. One did not have to leave the resort for entertainment, food, the beach or shopping for local souvenirs! All was available on site. Evening entertainment was awesome - local bands, dancers, ballet, synchronized swimming, contests and bingo! Never bored; had lots of fun mingling with others at hotel. Met many people from Canada (Calgary, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Montreal) and others from around the world (Italy, Germany). We did leave the resort to see and experience the local culture. Rode every type of transportation provided - taxi, double decker bus, horse drawn buggy, "tilt-a-whirl" taxi (yes, it looks like the ride!) Visited Havana (old and new) and the Bay of Pigs. Our tour guide was wonderful and we certainly learned a lot about Cuba's history and the people that live there. The layout of the resort is beautiful and the beach wonderful! Would we go back? Of course we would and I would recommend Melia Las Antillas to others!

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor and though we had a balcony, we could see very little of the resort...
4  Thank Debra L

Dear guest,
We are delighted to know that you have chosen our hotel for such an important occasion and to know you enjoyed all our facilities, from the variety of the meals to the extensive program of activities.
One of our main goals is that our customers always have something to do and it comforts us to know that you never bored.
Thanks for recommending us and we hope to see you again!