Melia Las Antillas
$222
$187
Cancelon
4,550 results
All reviewsel conucodon peperonelobby barthe concierge loungea la carte restaurantsfishconcierge servicemain buildingitalian restaurantmojito barfifth floorfood and beverage managerthe grillpastaother resortspool restaurantmelia las
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Hi, my name is Keith and I am from Canada. Just got back from our 4th visit to Melia Las Antillas. My wife and I along with 2 other couples have been going for the last 4 years, usually in October. We have always found the staff warm and friendly and being repeat guests even more so. We have developed a good relationship with most of the staff we have regular contact with and find they have a great sense of humour. In particular Marilyn, Tomas, Tania and Odalys in the buffet, our regular servers, are always happy to have us in their section but I have found all the staff in the buffet very open and friendly. At the pool and snack bar the situation is the same with Tatiana, Mileidy, Asmara, Amejo and Yitzy providing service and laughter. Just remember to treat the staff as people not servants.

I have read so many reviews criticizing the food and accommodation but you have to remember the hotel is 13 or 14 years old and the food is for the most part buffet style and you should be able to find something you like. Personally I like the layout of the hotel as you don't have to walk too far to get to the pool or beach. I prefer to have a room in the main building but only because if it rains I don't have to walk in it to get a drink or have some food. The roof top patio in the evenings provides a great view and a little cool air. The gardens are in great shape and the beach and ocean are super. Can't wait to go back again.
If it's your first visit to Cuba just remember one thing, if you don't expect too much you won't be disappointed. You probably didn't have to pay a lot to go in the first place especially if you are from Canada.

Have fun, be happy.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Keith W
Fabrizio T, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Dear guests,
It is really nice to know that you really enjoyed your recent stay here with us. Thank you for letting us know about your holidays at our resort. We will read this review to our staff for sure and will be our pleasure to welcome you back any time. You are already part of the family.
We hope you can make it Las Antillas again very soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Our plan was a two week vacation, lots of golf and adults only. Our first choice was the Melia Las Americas but, once the "unlimited green fees" was added to the Sunwing package for the Las Antillas, we chose to save the $500 per person and stay here instead. We are so glad we did!!
We were 2 couples and stayed from October 4-18 in the 6100 block. (6107 and 6108). Crappy, crappy view but we didn't care. The only time we are in the room, other than to sleep, is for about an hour and a half between activities and supper. The view from our room is of little concern to us.
Batsy (I think that is her name) was our housekeeper and we have nothing but great things to say about her. The room was always clean, she always greeted us with a smile and we never worried about leaving anything out in the room...nothing disappeared. Our shower head holder was broken the day we arrived but, as it was only a minor inconvenience, I said nothing about it. On the third day, we returned to the room to find that it had been fixed. I know we can thank our housekeeper for this and, as a thank you, double the tip the next day.
At the Lobby bar; Almica, Roni and the servers were awesome! Lots of handshakes, smiles and kisses on the cheek when we arrived for drinks after dinner. We were always served promptly and even received a couple "special" beverages from time to time. One of my favorite parts of the day was the 5:30 am coffee in the lobby bar, chatting with the staff and learning about their lives, the country and their families. This made for a great connection throughout the day with all of them.
Don Peperone's is the best place for lunch. I sure wish I could remember the name of our server there but she was great!! After a while, we never needed to order. She knew...cervezas, ranchero pizza and arabiatta pasta!! We made sure to tip her well every day.
In the buffet...Irene, Yamila, Ketel...the list goes on. Well, well looked after every day. We pointed out to Ketel one morning that the buffet was cold. She immediately stopped everything, found a manager and the problem was rectified immediately, never to return again!! AWESOME attention and service. And then there was Carlos in the buffet...we had so much fun with him, teasing him about the camels out front and how we were going to bbq them. He is a student of tourism working at the resort. A real gentleman and fun guy to talk to. Chino and Nicky of the animation team were a blast!! We played lots of beach and pool volleyball with them and they really helped make the days fun! We were able to get to know them, learn about their lives and enjoy lots of laughs together (along with a cerveza or two). I can't forget Juan Carlos and Johnny at the cooking stations in the buffet or the fantastic service at the reception. Always smiling, always helpful. I have forgotten the names of so many staff who made this vacation so memorable. I feel bad for that. We met the gardeners, security on the beach, bar tenders at all 3 bars, servers at all restaurants (poor guy at the seafood restaurant...I was pretty loaded the day we ate there...my wife had to keep me quiet as the other patrons laughed at me). Truly though, the management of this resort must be proud of their staff. They made this vacation what it was...a truly magnificent time. We love Cuba. This is our first time to Varadero as our last trip to Cuba was to Jibacoa and I was a little concerned that it would be too touristy and not as friendly as the "out of the way" Jibacoa but, I was wrong. From Havana all the way to Varadero, the people of this country are what makes a visit there so special.
As frequent travellers, 2 to 3 times annually, we have decided that Cuba is our destination. Thanks again to the Las Antillas family! It was an absolute pleasure to be part of your family for 2 weeks and I look forward to seeing all of you again soon!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
12  Thank John C
Fabrizio T, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Dear guests,
Thank you for letting us know about your holidays at our resort, it is a pleasure you have enjoyed your vacations and that you are willing to come back without hesitation at all. We will inform all the staff you have mentioned your opinion from this recent visit. We are sorry about the view from the room.
We hope you can make it Las Antillas again very soon and be part of our big family.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

First time to Cuba and stayed at Melia Las Antillas and had a fantastic time. The resort is beautiful - grounds are so well taken care of. The front desk people made registering such an ease, concierge explained everything to us and took care of all dinner requests for us, rooms were big and cleaned everyday - room person took the time to make us towel designs everyday, the pool was beautiful and the beach so well groomed. Was a little worried about travelling to Cuba as have been told by so many people that the service is horrible and the food even worse. Well this couldn't have been further from the truth. The service was AMAZING and the food was fantastic - very tasty and a great selection (if you went hungry then you are the most pickiest eater I've ever met !!). Drinks were great and shows top notch. The people working at this resort truly want to make your stay the best it can be. Have nothing but good things to say about Melia Las Antillias and will definitely put it on our return list !!! If I could have one complaint it wouldn't be about the resort but the other guests who didn't think to bother to leave a tip for the fantastic service they received (so many people simply got up from the table and left nothing. You would never dream of using a gift card (prepaid meal just like you have at a resort) and not think of leaving a tip even for crappy service but think it is ok to do at a resort.) The servers go above and beyond and deserve a tip !!

Room Tip: Main hotel rooms closest to all the restaurants/buffets, outbuildings/modules closer to the pool and beach. You need to decide which one is more important - from main building to pool is about a minute walk and that much again to beach.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank lynn c

Dear guests,
It really makes us very happy all your comments about our resort. We truly thank you for letting us know about your fantastic time with us. We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your holidays and that we will be in your future plans.
We look forward to the possibility of have you among our big Melia family.
Best wishes and hope to see you very soon,

Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this resort from September 19th to the 29th (10 days). We enjoyed nearly every aspect of our trip.

Our only goal on going on these tours is to veg. We had gone to Cuba the year before, to a reputed 3 star, and had not been impressed. But we very much liked the simplicity of Cuba and its beaches, and tried again, albeit with few expectations. My wife had done a lot of research and landed on Melia Las Antillas as being a good bet.

This is our third time with Sunwing, and we give it very high marks. I had concerns that the flight was not a direct one as it was scheduled to make a stop at Camaguey first (increasingly the flight to about six hours). Not only did we learn a little more about Cuba, but the camaraderie was wonderful. We also used the time to buy some Cuban pesos. We got in late we found that everything about the trip was thrilling.

Asking for a quite room, we were lucky enough to get to stay in Module 6400. This was a very quiet spot located next to the main building and was far enough from the noise of music coming from the pool, entertainment or the lounge. The bedroom itself was clean and very nice, with the air conditioning working fine throughout our stay.

We enjoyed the buffet, going there morning noon and night. Overall we found the food to be very good – surprisingly so. We loved Lobster (Friday) night. And because we stayed for 10 days, we had it twice! Next best to lobster night was Turkey night. BTW the Lobster is grilled - and if you like lobster line up as soon as the restaurant opens for dinner.

Next to lounging on the beach the lobby bar was our favourite place to be. The bar was the only part of the vacation that let us down a little bit: I agree with one reviewer that said it did not seem to matter if you tipped well or not, the staff seemed a little unfriendly. But the looby / lounge area was nicely set out and decorated, and airy - it was a really nice spot to relax, and in the evenings they generally had some musicians playing.

The beach was beautiful, sandy and the water warm. My wife spent hours floating and I swimming, in generally concentric circles around her.

We thought that the staff were excellent in every way.

We went to each of the shows. The entertainment is not a highlight of the resort but is fun.

Smoke! A surprising number of people smoke, and it sometimes it pervades the beach, the bar (as it wafts in from the Terrace), and the Cabaret.

Reviews on Trip Advisor rated Melia as a 4 star and we thought that the estimate was accurate. And except perhaps for the reservation that I had about the Bar, we found that the resort very well run and the staff highly motivated, friendly and helpful. I thought perhaps the Melia Las Antillas seemed to be trending to a 5 star: I hope so, as we plan to return!

Suggestion: We tend to tip for everything and recommend tipping moderately generously, particularly the waiters in the Buffet and the Housekeeper.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Edwin L

Dear guests,
Thank you for having taken time to let us know about your holidays, it pleases us to know that you had a wonderful time among us and that you are already thinking in coming back, hopefully our services will be already improved by then.
We have taken note of your recommendations regarding the bar and some actions will be taken in this regards. We thank you once again for enjoying your holidays with us and look forward to receive you once again as part of our big Melia family.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed in Melia Las Antillas for a week vacation with my partner. Very nice services, good food, great beach. I would definitely recommend it for a nice vacation. The personnel was polite and professional and specially very friendly. This is an adult-only hotel so if you really want to relax, it is excellent. Something that could be improved is the animation.

Room Tip: The view to the pool area is very pretty.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank larry w
Fabrizio T, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear guests,
Thanks for taking time to let us know about your recent stay at our resort.
We are glad that you found wonderful the service, that you also liked the people, the food and the beach. We are sorry you did not enjoy the entertainment program; we will take into account your advice to improve it. We hope you come back again real soon and be part of our big family.