“Near Perfect Paradisus”

Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed February 18, 2009

We have just returned from a 2 week trip, arriving in England when the temp was -2c at Gatwick. Although we did have cold days during our holiday (26 Jan - 9 Feb) when some strange NE winds blew across the island the temps stayed in the 20c's. Extra layers were required to keep warm in the evening. This is our second trip to Cuba. Three years ago we went to Paradisus D'Oro near Holquin. So it was good to be able to make comparisons, which can be useful and risky at the same time. The resort had a very diverse range of naionalities, many from Eastern Europe but very few from the UK.
The Sol Melia managed Paradisus Resort must occupy one of the best beach locations in Varadero. Long wide beach with excellent sand, safe and clean for all swimmers and regularly monitored by the life guards on duty. The colour of the sea, everything you could wish for in this part of the world. The beach was also a good location for finding some nice shells brought in with the tides.
The resort has a marvellous layout with all rooms sited in 2 storey buildings scattered around a vast estate. The gardens which are very well looked after are a joy to walk round and an opportunity to work off some of the excesses of good eating etc. The middle of the resort is where you will find the concentration of restaurants, entertainment areas, bars and pools. One of the pools is immense and free form. Something to meet everyones needs. The sunloungers and beach towels freely available are a great bonus when trying to get that obligatory winter sun tan.
The Resort has a very large Buffet restaurant and a good selection of A' la carte places to eat. Japanese, Italian, Steak House and French Style are on offer. The latter, entitled "Romantico" was our favourite. Very good food and excellent professional service from the staff. This was complemented by a 4 piece Ensemble which provided a lovely selection of clasical music every evening.
The main buffet location was of a good standard, providing a range of hot and cold options. There is the perennial problem of sparrows finding their way into the "open" walled restaurant and finding a good supply of food. Yes, they are are a pest, but a good loud hand-clap soon moved them. We did raise some concerns we had about food temps. with the managers and this was soon resolved largely to our satisfaction, but I am sure further improvements could be made.
Junior Suites are on the whole very good. The first floor rooms are, it seems, of a better decorative state than others. They have brighter colours and newer soft furnishings. We were made aware that there is a programme of refurbishment underway. This is good news and I am sure, when finished, will provide the standard we all expect in a 5 star location. We did request a move to another suite, this was achieved very easily, and we remained happy for the rest of our holiday.
Construction of Royal Suites and Spa is underway and when this new development is completed in September/October 2009, it will surely provide something "Very Special" at this great resort.
Entertainments in the evening are of a good standard and day time activities are led by Pedro and Lola and a very energetic team of supporters. I am sure they could do with some new investment in equipment and games.
Golf is available at the nearby Golf Varadero Club. I didn't manage to play myself, but a fellow guest describes it as a challenge although a bit pricey.
Staff in the resort were absolutely wonderful. Very attentive, polite, courteous and professional. They all had a very positive attitude towards their roles in the resort and also towards the tourism industry.
The Bars provided a good service overall and table service in the Lobby Bar was wonderful. We did struggle to persuade the Bar Staff in the main Lobby Bar that wedges of Lime were an essential addition to generous G&Ts. The manager soon got on the case and for the rest of the holiday there was always a plate of limes available. A source of many a chuckle betwen the bartenders and myself.
We needed to speak with the General Manager and his Deputy on a couple of occasions. We found them to be very approachable, very attentive and of course, very focussed on resolving issues. We kept in touch with them during our holiday and gave them feed-back on the improvements they were implementing. They really appreciated our efforts to speak with them.
Definitely a resort we would like to return to for a bit more Winter Sun in a very friendly location.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ray511
sw1963, Director General at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Client,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacations. We are pleased to know that overall you have enjoyed our services. We will take your suggestions into consideration to keep improving day by day. We hope you can visit us again soon.
Our best regards from Paradisus Varadero

There are newer reviews for Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 7, 2009

Hi there,

Well, where do I start?

I went to the Varadero, Paradisus on the 20th of Jan. and got back on the 28th of Jan.

I had an amazing time at the Paradisus! It was my first time in Cuba and I am planning on going back many times. I had no complaints whatsoever about the Paradisus. The food was amazing, The accomdations were great ( expect some are facing an alley or parking lot and we got a room like that but went to the front desk and they gave us a better room ), The entertainment was amazing and the staff there were so kind and caring.

There are some a la carte restaurants. There is a Japenese restaurant called "Sukura", another restaurant that is mainly for romantic evenings, and there is an Italian restaurant. There is one more but we never got the chance to attend to it. All the restaurants food is to die for. My personal favorite would be Sukura because the food is amazing and they cook your food on a grill right in front of you and I have never experienced that before so it was entertaining for me. There is also a buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner! And there is a couple snack bars around! The only thing is that the a la carte restaurants book fast so make sure to book your dining ( not saying you won't get in, just saying there is a chance you may not ). I never worried about my food when I was there. In fact, I think I ate more there then I have here at home. Sometimes, you need to tell them to cook your meat a little longer but that's about it.

The accomdations are really pleasant and cozy. The beds are a little hard but it doesn't hurt your back. Air conditioning works well. Mini-fridge with kola and 2 water bottles ( Gets re-filled everyday by your maid ). A safe for all your personal and valuable belongings and a T.V. ( not that we used it that much but its nice when your turning in early ). I have no complaints about our rooms. The maids cleaned them spotless everyday and made doves out of our towels. It was really nice. Our room was on a top floor and we had a patio. We had an amazing view. We were over-looking a pond and lot's of palm trees and we were right by the tennis courts. It was beautiful to wake up in the morning and sit out on the patio and look at the view and the sun rising. How I would love to be back there right now instead of here in Ottawa with all this snow.

The entertainment was amazing. Every night at 9:45pm, there would be a show of some sort performed by a group of professional dancers. Every night I would be amazed and stunned by the show these professional dancers would put on. I never once missed the show. I even got the chance to dance up on stage with all the dancers and I was embarrassed because I couldn't dance like them but I tried and I had fun anyways. That was a blast. I loved how they got the audienced involved too. Every monday, instead of the show, they have a beach party and every thursday, instead of the show, they have a dance party in the main lobby. If your a person who likes to party and dance, I suggest you go to these because they are incredibly fun. There is also a night club that you can go dancing in. There are many games to play also such as Volleyboll, Tennis, Archery, Ping Pong, Pool, Life-Size Chess, Life-Size Bowling, Basketball And Soccer. I did most of these activities and had a blast. There is also a Gym that also includes a Sauna, Hot Tub and Massages. There were 3 bars that I saw but my favorite would have to be the pool bar because it's a swim up bar which is nice.

The staff there were just so kind and friendly. I wouldn't walk past someone without them saying Hola first. They were patient with any questions I had and they answered them with full detail and still a smile upon their face. Not once did I see anyone with a frown. They always had a smile on no matter what and I like to see that. The staff also had dance lessons going for the guests everyday at some time or another. I met some amazing people that I will always keep close to my heart. I met a professional dancer named Ariel. He is the one that came and got me out of the audience and on the stage to dance with them. I was nervous at first but he was trying to teach me so I just went with the flow and had the time of my life. Let me tell you, he made that night very interesting for me. I met a bartender named Amoury at the pool bar. He was the best bartender. He would make jokes and have fun while making peoples drinks. He even sang to my family and I a couple times. He was hilarious and very friendly. I met a few other people as well but forgive me, their names have slipped my mind but I will keep them close to my heart as well.

Not only did I meet people at the resort whom worked there but I also met other tourists such as Tom and Laurie from London, England. Great people. I also met Natacha and Graeme from Montreal ( which is about 2 hours from me ). I became very close with Natacha and I now talk to her everyday. I am very glad to have met her and now have a friendship with her. She too, love the Paradisus resort! No matter whether it be staff or tourists, you always meet new people from everywhere and you make great new friends.

I had such a fantastic time here that I plan on going back in just a couple months from now. I would most definitely recommend this resort to everyone. It is truly fantastic and I am very pleased that I chose to go here. It was well worth it. I am very excited to be going back there again soon.

That's all I could possibly say at this time. If there are any further questions, please feel free to contact me and I will answer any questions you may have.

I hope I have done a good job telling you how truly amazing this Varadero, Paradisus resort is.

Take Care,
Mary-Lynn12

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank Mary-Lynn12
Reviewed February 3, 2009

We enjoyed every minute of our stay at the Pardisus Varadero. The property and the beach were lovely. The rooms nice and very clean. Staff extremely helpful. Food was very tasty, nicely presented and hygenically prepared. We ate at the Romantica Restaurant one evening and it was lovely. This was a true five star experience compared to where we stayed elsewhere in Cuba.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Skigirl9
Reviewed January 31, 2009

From: Friday, January 16th 2009
To: January 30th, 2009

Came home yesterday from this dreambook holiday that was both relaxing and invigorating. I have nothing negative to say about this resort, and from what I've heard, we probably most likely stayed at the best resort on this stretch of the Varadero beach---which is, just as I was told the most beautiful beach in Cuba---It was our first time in Cuba and I will definitly go back and when we do, it will probably be Paradisus Varadero. A few people I met were repeat visitors, and most of the staff have been working there since its opening (8 years, circa 2000) which to me, means that people are satisfied with their jobs and how management treats them.

To my boyfriend of two years and I it was a relief from the bitter cold (-30 celcius when we left Montreal) and a welcome embrace from the warm sunshine (corny turn of phrase but whatever, that's just what it was to us)

Upon arriving, we were shocked by how charming and spacious the lobby was---the pictures we'd seen on the sites did not do justice at all---and checking in at front desk, we were offered champagne and a bellboy drove us to our villa.

The resort is made of 2-storey villas, ours was 3315, a top floor room facing a beautiful lushful garden close to the tennis courts and recreation clubhouse, which includes the lifesize chess board, skeet & archery lanes, and a life-size bowling lane and shuffle lane... There were beautiful ponds around, swirling walkways leading to the beach and to the restaurants.

When I first got there, I knew I'd get lost and I did after getting blitzed and drunk at the 24-hour lobby bar. I have no idea how I got home then, but let's just say that blackout was better than knowing how I actually fell-down drunk!!!

We did not leave the resort for the entire lenght of our stay, for finances did not really allow to pay for the excusions offered at the resort, but staying put and being catered to, like we were VIPs was amazing.

On that note, the staff was amazing. Friendly, not pushy just genuinely warm and amicable. Grillo, Amaury & Yousi at the beach bar, the lobby bar folk (whose name unfortunately escape me but always smiled and lit up when they saw me) really were an unexpected bonus to the whole experience. They remembered everyone's drinks, even your name---mine is now Natachita, which made me smile every time Grillo called it out!

The food was actually very decent and from what I heard from people who stayed at other resorts, better than average for Varadero. It was 5-star in every way.

My favorite restaurant of all six was the Japanese one, "Sakura" I think, where I would sit at the sushi bar and indulge in my sushi boat craving, I was addicted to their sushi and their playful staff who really get into the whole Japanese "dinner and a show" kinda thing. The tables at that restaurant resembled a Beni Hana but it was all in good fun and convivial.

In the morning, for some reason I can't explain, we'd wake up at 5am, go down to the lobby, have coffee and then walk the beach for an hour or so hunting for shells, I'd just walk in the wake breaking upon the beach and just stare out onto the horizon, my mind drifting away in peaceful bliss...

I met some amazing people I wish to keep in touch with, a couple from Guelph who made me laugh every time, a Chilean family who are just so much fun and loving, honest and full of value, it was refreshing to see a family with 4 boys (ages 24, 22, 18 and 14) traveling together and sticking together.

A German guy traveling alone, enjoying a 2 week time off for the first time in 14 years... A girl from Edmonton I met on my last night, it was her first night of a two week stay by herself and others who only had a week and wished they could have stayed a little longer.

Two weeks was not too long, one week would have been too short. By the end of those fourteen days, I just didn't know what to drink anymore and didn't really want to either.

There is a lot more I could say, and probably will think of what else I could have said once I post this review, but I took a 1000 pictures (two digital cards) full of beautiful memories I will cherish for a long time!!!

I recommend this resort to anyone.

The only thing is the mattress was kind of hard, but some people may like that, I'm just spoiled and I had to wear my boyfriend's sweater at night and at early morning cuz it was cold, but January is their winter...

I took a few good dips in the ocean and swam up to the pool bar, I kayaked and paddle boated and got into their daily salsa lessons.

It was great.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Natachita
sw1963, Director General at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Dear Client,
Our best regards from Paradisus Varadero

Reviewed January 16, 2009

This is to help those who, like us, were perplexed by the contradictory reviews of the Paradisus Varadero that appear on both this website and other fora. We visited the Paradisus for the first time 7 years ago and back then it was rated as a 5+ and we absolutely loved it; the resort was only 2 years old and everything was pristine except for a relatively small patch of the pool bottom lining that had disintegrated (but was repaired shortly after our first visit). In spite of several negative recent reviews we read, our family of 4 packed up our hopes and went again for one week at Christmas time. Now that the resort is 9 years old, it is decidedly shabby in spots and the rooms desperately need renovating. Room renovations appear to have begun just recently and the refurbished rooms look lovely (!!), although not many are available yet. The updated hairdryers will be a bonus for people like me who have trouble with their hair when visiting the Caribbean – the old hair dryers are like a tube of vacuum hose awkwardly hung from the wall and not good for styling.

We understood from staff and from the drawings displayed in the foyer that Sol Melia is expanding by adding on a very high-end spa resort facility where villa guests will have their own maids. For those who can afford it, it will undoubtedly be lovely.

To preface our next comments, we should mention that we’ve also stayed at two 4 ½ star resorts in Cuba (Cayo Coco and Holguin) and at a 4 ½ with a VIP/Elite package in the Dominican. During our trip this time, we found the Paradisus to be generally comparable to, and yet shabbier than, the other 4 ½ star resorts we’ve visited. We also observed that the entrances and foyers at other resorts along Varadero (where we stopped on our way to Havana and the airport) appeared more run down and not as well appointed as the Paradisus. We made the same observation as we walked along the beaches. In summary, the Paradisus is a 5 star in some respects and in some respects it isn’t; this may explain why the reviews are so varied, i.e. it depends what matters to you most.

What we love about the Paradisus:

- Size; at just over 400 rooms, there is an intimate feeling, no vast distances to cover and you can easily get to know the staff. (NB – we had a great walk down "memory lane" reconnecting with long-time staff members).
- The resort layout is terrific.
- The entrance, foyer, washrooms, theatre, a la carte restaurants and other public spaces are truly lovely.
- The beach, pool design and grounds are gorgeous.
- Pool is bromine, not chlorine.
- There are about 3500 palm trees that are now very mature and the gardens are beautifully kept.
- The bar and serving staff are very warm, friendly & helpful plus seemed to appreciate our efforts at speaking Spanish.
- Japanese restaurant was great. Romantico and Italian restaurants are solid.
- The entertainment was top notch (eg, the Cuban National Philharmonic Orchestra played one night; a daytime aquatic-synchro-dance show; a nightime aquatic ballet in the pool; poolside stilt and clown show; beach show involving actors and trained animals; always bands in the restaurants and lobby bar; nightly dance/stage shows). Animation at the beach and poolside everyday (how about a rum and cigar tutorial?) and Spanish lessons every day if you cared to avail yourself of them.
- The food at the buffet is generally fine. If you happen to want bacon every morning for breakfast, you will be disappointed as it is fatty and in short supply. Lots of other fine and healthy food choices however. We would recommend avoiding the Steakhouse— beef is not the Cubans’ forte. For our part, we don’t go to Cuba for the food—we love Cuba for the warmth, friendliness and heart of its people and for its music and culture (not to mention the rum, the mojitos and the cigars).

We should emphasize that our initial disappointment with the condition of the room soon gave way to better times lolling by the pool, body surfing at the beach, reminiscing with old employees and making the acquaintance of newer staff. As far as earlier references to shabbiness, we will list the things we experienced only so that others who go in the next few months (i.e. before the renovations are complete) won’t be surprised or disappointed. Here goes: our tub had 2 large patches where the enamel was missing; paint and tiles were chipped here and there; the lamp shades mysteriously disappeared halfway through our vacation for a few days; a wall sconce was hanging from the wall; and neither of the first story patio doors in our 2 rooms would lock. Our room key also was old/overused and stopped functioning and we had to get it recharged once and then eventually replaced.

The pool had several small and large patches throughout where the tile has come off. When we mentioned the state of repair of the pool to certain staff, they told us that in March 2009 the pool will be closed and the whole thing repaired. It wasn’t clear whether this would be a matter of a couple of weeks or the entire month (also bear in mind the concept of "Cuban time"). While we like to spend one or two days at the beach, mostly we’re pool people, so had we arrived to find the pool closed, we would have been greatly disappointed if not downright upset. We add this information as a caution strictly for pool lovers, and with the emphasis that we didn’t confirm the facts with the hotel management.

And finally, just in case it’s helpful, during this trip -versus our first trip to the Paradisus- we noticed there were fewer Canadians (an observation the staff echoed) and we were struck by the number of young couples with small children/babies. There were few families with children the same age as ours (14 and 12). At our last stay, the baby club/kids club was GREAT and some of the childcare staff are the same. The location has changed—it used to be situated in the beach restaurant but now they’re using a renovated hotel room which is brightly painted and well-equipped. Without a doubt, the level of care is as fantastic as it ever was.

Would we go back? We weren't sure we would return after the first time, but we did. We aren't sure we'll return again, but we might. Buena suerte.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
8  Thank fromourhouse
Reviewed January 11, 2009

The place was great for families, but people looking for nightlife will be disappointed.

Food: Phenomenal for Cuba...and generally good. The buffet wasn't incredible, but there was enough variety and change every day to accommodate breakfasts and lunch. The beach grill has some great food, but it can be pretty slow. The pool grill has great sandwiches, but was always slow. The a-la-cartes were excellent, and you can eat at each as many times as you wish. We had a couple meals there that were equal to a mid-range restaurant in Toronto.

Rooms: Good but nothing special - the beds are pretty hard, but the rooms are cheerful, clean, and functional. Only complaint was that the A/C was impossible to turn completely off, leading to some chilly nights.

Activities / entertainment: Well organized, and plenty of variety. There were events for kids and adults, and we always found plenty to do. There were a dedicated beach volleyball court and a sand soccer pitch that were very well maintained. If you want to bring a nice giveaway for the staff, bring a pair of $10 athletic-type sunglasses - they don't have any.

Service: Outstanding, and compared VERY favourably to the last time we were in Cuba. The staff were friendly and helpful. Like anywhere else on the planet, a tip at the bar gets you noticed more quickly in a crowd (but wasn’t necessary to get adequate service).

Other:
- The hotel store has a very good humidor, and the cigars are priced the same as in the state stores
- The resort is pretty spread out – if you have any mobility issues, think twice
- The resort is pretty much at the end of the Varadero strip – so taking a bus that stops at multiple hotels can eat up a lot of time
- If you want affordable transit into Havana, ask one of the tour operators if you can piggyback on the tour, without any of the lunches, entry passes, etc.
- If you end up in Havana, have lunch at the Decameron (near the intersection of Linea and Paseo)…awesome.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank normalguyToronto
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Had a wonderful visit to the Paradisus, the staff were all really nice and it made up wonderfully for having the trip with his parents!! ;)

Check in was a breeze, had a drink while waiting for them to finish the minor paperwork, they took you by cart to your room so you didn't have to carry your bags. Once we got to the room it was very clean and open, the worst thing we found was a cute little frog on the patio outside. We overlooked a garden where in the mornings the groundsmen would cut down a fresh coconut for you to drink from, very fun!

The buffets were good, obviously not much flavour to some things but when you have no spices to work with you take what you get... however... I didn't go there for the same stuff I could get at home... The fruit is amazing and the seafood is nothing short of incredible!!

For lunch, don't miss the beach-side fish fry... it's unlike anything I've ever had before!

We took two day trips, one to Havana and then to the Tropicana at night. The tour guide was fantastic and after walking around all day in the heat, they took you to a hotel to shower and eat before the evening entertainment.. much appreciated!

The second trip was on a catamaran to somewhere in the caribbean sea where we went snorkelling with hundreds of fish (and my boyfriend found Canadian $50's and a bunch of CUC on the sea floor!) in crystal clear water. We then proceeded to an island with a beach where there was sand like powdered sugar (Cayo Blanco) then off to swim with dolphins! A day like that of childhood dreams!

Back at the resort there was always a fantastic beach to lay on, and the bartender at the swim up was more than happy to keep the pina colada's coming!

The different a la carte restaurants for evening dinner had lots of fun options to keep the nights exciting. They had evening entertainment with lots of 90's pop music (the night we stayed up late enough did anyway) but we were enjoyed the mornings on the beach too much!

Tippings are recommended but try and be consistant...however don't think it has to all be money...Before we left Canada we went to the dollar store and some other places and picked up lots of stickers, markers, crayons, ball caps etc and left a couple things (as well as a few coins) for them every day...we always came back to find the extra blanket or towels folded into swans with fresh flowers for decoration around them!

The only thing I didn't enjoy about that trip was the flight home... overall a beyond fantastic experience!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple