“Most amazing 30th Birthday Ever at Paradisus!”

Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Me and my boyfriend went to Cuba (and stayed at Paradisus Varadero for 2 weeks) for my Birthday. We are very seasoned travelers who have travelled around the world both seperately and together.

This was the best trip of our lives, and a lot of this is thanks to the wonderful staff at Paradisus Varadero :)

I see a lot of reviews about this hotel concerning the Royal Service bit, but my review is going to be about the main hotel (we did not stay at Royal Service). We had wonderful service and definitely the best beach in the entire Varadero (MUCH nicer than the Royal Service part - We thought it was too "cut off" and secluded from the main bit where all the "action" is).

We got a nice room on arrival, however, after Magby (lady who works there) heard that I would be celebrating my 30th there, we were upgraded to a room on the first floor with amazing ocean-view.

The food in All Inclusive Hotels are usually not that great, but the food at Paradisus was amazing! The buffet had everything you could wish for, and they had little "stations" of Italian, Chinese Wok, BBQ meat etc where the chef cooks fresh food in front of you (I fell in love with their hand-made Italian pasta - DELICIOUS!).

We tried the A la Carte restaurants - The Italian one was really romantic, with outside-seating and dim lighting, and the pizzas were really good. The Teppanyaki was fun, the chefs were good, but I would still choose the buffet over the A la Carte restaurants anyday because of the selection. It was nice to have tried it though!

Magby also got us booked in for the Royal Service restaurant for my 30th (which was not included for us as we didnt pay for Royal Service, but we got that out of a nice gesture). The food and ambience was amazing, and it was nice to venture around the grounds (the grounds are massive!) :)

We loved the swim-up pool bar and the beach BBQ (lunch at the beach BBQ everyday - the chicken = amazing!).

I have to say that apart from a great location and a nice hotel, what really made this hotel a 5 star and standing out was the amazing staff. Thank you so much Parra, Lazaro, Andre especially. Please make sure they get this thank you from the UK couple (and I'm the Asian/Swedish girl :))

ALL the staff, including the girls who cleaned the public toilets, the waitresses/waitors at dinner/breakfast and out at the BBQ lunch, the cleaners and maids, were absolutely wonderful.

I have recommended this place to everyone, colleagues and friends, and especially this hotel. Me and my boyfriend will DEFINITELY come back to this Paradise!

Thanks for the most amazing time ever!

2  Thank 112Ling
residentmanagerPVA, Director General at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear 112 Ling,
Thank you for taking the time to share an excellent review about your experience during your visit and birthday. We are delighted to know how much you enjoyed your stay in Paradisus Varadero.
I have shared your comments with Parra, Lazaro, Andre and Magby and they are very happy to read them,
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Paradisus next year , and thank you for recommending us!!!!
Regards.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Considering the current situation of Cuba, the offer of this hotel is quite good. The team is very friendy and open to help with everything. Moreover, the food is not the best but you can select every day some good things. The bar is perfect, always open and with very good drinks. The room is enough for a family like us with 2 children of 4 and 2 years old.
Good experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jaespino
residentmanagerPVA, Director General at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Dear jaespino,
Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback following your first but not last stay at Paradisus Varadero. We are please to know that you enjoyed your time with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a fantastic trip to Cuba and The Paradisus Resort. (Royal Service Area)
First of all, lets face it no one goes to Cuba for the food. However the food here is pretty good with lots of choices and the local cheese, fruit, fish and bread is great.
The service is top notch. Some of the best I have had anywhere in the world. It seemed imporant to everyone that we were having a good time and that anything we needed we had.
The pool was beautiful and clean and the beach was gorgeous. Lots of chairs and beds to lounge around on. On more than one afternoon we took a ice bucket, a bottle of sparkling wine and glasses down to the beach to watch the sunset.
I can not say enough about what a great trip we had and how nice this resort was.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and go for the Royal Service Area. It is so worth it and an excellent value for the co...
2  Thank AprilSirois
residentmanagerPVA, Director General at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear AprilSirois,
We are glad to know that your experience at Paradisus Varadero was wonderful and we take the chance to thank you for your high and detailed review about our staff, services and facilities you have enjoyed during these unforgettable time with us.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future again for 2d time and not last!
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Paradisus!
Best regards

Reviewed October 31, 2013

If you are looking for a real five-star hotel, this is not one and it's way too expansive. The location and the beach are really nice. People are really nice and the service is good. BUT... The bathrooms are really poorly equiped and in a bad shape for a five-star hotel. The food at the buffet is really good and there is lots of different food. Concerning the "à la carte" restaurants it is really a DISASTER! We tried the japanese twice and it wasn't good! The sushis are not good, the tepanyaki are too salty and either too cooked or not enough. As for the italian restaurant, please don't go! The "best" one was the romantico, which was not as bad as the other one.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Swenn K

Dear Swenn K,
We would like to thank you for posting your opinion, because as it is important for us to know positive and negative points about our services.We are delight to know that you have enjoyed the beach, and the services we offered to you and the rest of our clients.
Concerning our rooms,we are in the process of renovating the hotel and soon we will have new and updated rooms. At the same time, we are sorry that you didn’t enjoy of our a la carte restaurants as normally they like to our guests specially the Italian restaurant. Please accept this review as an apology.
I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Kind regards.

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I spent 7 nights here after 3 nights in Havana (hotel Telagrafo, definitely recommend) we loved the Paradiso. We stayed here 17th-24th October. Weather was perfect. It stormed twice in the middle of the night and once for an hour about 5pm. It was very quiet with not too many people staying.

The entrance: we were the last people to be dropped off from the transfer so we got to see the other guests hotels. The further along the peninsula you go the nicer he hotels. The Paradiso entrance has the wow factor, a wooden walkway between fishpond a leads you to reception. There are no walls on the common parts of the hotel, the lobby, buffet restaurant and bar are all open sided.

Rooms: we opted for a pool view and we were very happy with our room (2315) it was close enough to the pool that we could pop back to the room to use the toilet whilst at the pool but quiet. The garden view rooms looked lovely and very quiet but a bit of a trek from the pool, but a little closer to the beach. Room was clean, spacious and the air con was nice and cool.

The beach: the beach is stunning in a bit of a cove. Plenty of loungers, although a few broken ones, and some shade if you want it under pals or parasols. We used the sea kayaks, catamaran and pedalo. The sea is lovely and clear. We would've gone out snorkelling with the water sports guys but we ran out of time.

The pool: the pool is a great shape with lots of areas to choose to sit. Palms surround the pool so you can find a spot in the sun or use a palm for shade.

The buffet: we were more than happy with the food. I wasn't keen on the fresh fruit for some reason but I don't think that's just at the hotel, it was our whole time in Cuba. The bread in Cuba seemed a bit hard. We ate all the different foods including the seafood and had no tummy troubles. If you can't find something to eat then you must be a fussy eater!

The romantic and Japanese: we ate in these two restaurants and enjoyed both. The romantica had lovely food and a string quartet. Small al a carte portions but it was enough. The Japanese was very tasty.

The hotel workers: we found all staff friendly, they all say hello when they see you. Bar staff make great drink. Cubans seem to put 3 spins of sugar in every type if drink! Each drink tastes different depending on which batman makes it. The gardeners walk around offering you sun hats they have woven from Palm leaves and fresh coconuts. Although they don't ask for money I think it is the done thing to give them 1CUC for coconut and a few CUC's for a hat. As I had forgotten my Sunhat the palm hat came with me everywhere (including home) special thanks to our waitress at the buffet dinner. We didn't get her name, she was petit with blonde/brown slightly curly hair, about shoulder length I would guess when not in a ponytail. She looked after us and managed to retrieve our table when someone sat on it whilst we were waiting in the que for fish cakes to be cooked.

The entertainers: the evening entertainers were worth a watch. The Michael jackson show was very good but the most amazing was the water ballet, it took us completely by surprise. Please make sure you don't miss it!

We did 4 excursions whilst in Cuba, 2 from Havana and 2 from varadero. The jeep tour is amazing for seeing the back streets of Cuba, we'll worth it.

A bit if a long review I'm afraid but there's just so much to say about this hotel. We loved Cuba and our stay at the Paradiso and wish we could pop back there just with a snap of our fingers.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank littlemoo24

Dear littlemoo24,
Thank you very much for posting such a nice review about your recent stay at Paradisus Varadero. We are delighted to read you had a wonderful experience with us. I have shared your comments with our staff and they are very happy to read your comments. Thank you for recommending us!
Kind regards from Paradisus!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Hotel PARADADISUS VARADERO – Could and possibly should be TWO hotels. Royal Service at the one end offering beach front suits (Romance option) with butler which could either be perceived as very useful for dinner reservations, tour options and chasing non appearing reps and sorting the mini bar or as intrusive, they are floating about all the time. Royal service offers al la cart evening dinning at the one restaurant on that side. Presentation and service were good but the food was repetitive, selection very limited and poorly cooked. As a general note the meat is tough, the fish selection was fine. The pool on the Royal service side was pleasant and quiet, maximum of 30 people.
The other side a short golf cart away or a fair march had the buffet restaurant, themed restaurants and a very large pool. Not my particular choice.
The beach was good. Our tour rep was lacking in every department. The butler arranged a trip to Havana which was very informative, in fact a must.
Definitely worth a return trip but pick your room carefully, RS without a doubt.

Room Tip: Junior suit romance (Royal service on the beach)
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
residentmanagerPVA, Director General at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear Phillip T,
Thanks for posting your review on Tripadvisor. First of all I would like to apologize for the dissatisfactions you encountered during your stay, we are going to pay close attention to all the negative remarks you have written in order to prevent similar events in the future.
We hope to welcome you and your family in the future to offer you an amazing holiday as expected.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Overall, I am somewhat shocked at the extremely positive reviews for this resort. I'm not sure if I was actually at the same hotel as the other people who reviewed this hotel.

The staff was fabulous, very friendly and helped make our second trip to Cuba more enjoyable. They seemed to be very content and would always go out of their way to help which was very much appreciated.

The beach was beautiful, well maintained and they appeared to make an effort to pick up garbage which is always very nice to see. There is nothing worse than a beach covered in plastic cups, especially knowing how detrimental plastic is for the ocean.

The scuba diving was very well organized and it is evident that Cuba has invested a lot of money into their operations - boats, diving gear, etc. However, it was apparent that the Lionfish - an invasive species - seem to have taken over a number of the reefs in the area which was quite upsetting to see. The reefs did not appear to be very healthy therefore we did not necessarily see the marine life we had hoped to see. I know that in many places there are 'scavenger hunts' to hunt the Lionfish - perhaps this is something Cuba may want to consider to increase tourism..!

The food was ok. We became quite ill (bacterial infection from the food or water we're not sure) along with a number of other visitors after the 4th day of our trip so needless to say the following days were not quite what we had expected.

The room and bathroom desperately needed updating and our A/C did not function properly therefore we were either sweating or freezing every night which was quite uncomfortable. We did not stay in the Royal Service part of the hotel - I suppose this is very different from the 'normal' part of the hotel. I know cockroaches are a problem in many hotels, however I was surprised to see them in the room and needless to say did not sleep very well after. It appears they are renovating some parts of the hotel therefore I'm sure it will be great when this is done but in the meantime you may definitely wish to request the renovated part of the resort...!

Room Tip: Choose a renovated room if possible.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
residentmanagerPVA, Director General at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear guest,
Firstly, I would like to thank you for posting your opinion, because as it is important for us to know positive and negative points about our services which help us to improve our daily service and the hotel’s facilities.
About our rooms, we apologize that you didn’t find your room as you expected. We are in process of renovating all our rooms. We started last year and we will finish this task in the following months. We invite you to see the changes and to enjoy them during your next visit.
We look forward to offer you an outstanding service in your next visit.