“A decent all-inclusive”

Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Crawley, West Sussex
“A decent all-inclusive”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spent a week here after three nights in Havana, staying in the main section of the hotel not the Royal Service.
First impressions of the huge, open reception and main bar area were good and we enjoyed a drink here most evenings before dinner.
Our room was on two levels with a balcony overlooking the lush grounds. Inside was clean with all the ususal facilities, although having wardrobe storage very near the bathroom/washing area was slightly strange!
For a Communist, second-world country the standard of finish is as expected although some may feel it's not up to a 5 star standard (more like 4).
The only worrying aspect is a lack of fire equipment outside our block - just a sign indicating where the emergency equipment should be!!
The beach and pool (with swim-up bar) were amazing and certainly push the experience to a 5-star.
The main restaurant is an la carte buffet and can get very busy with some hit and miss waiter service for drinks but the choice and quality of food was very good
There are a number of other specialist restaurants (Mexican/Romantic/Italian/Japanese and Beach Barbecue) available for the evenings which are available to book at a small desk near the entrance to the main restaurant each morning.
Be warned that they may get fully booked very quickly ( I reckon Royal Service guests get first dibs!)
However if you book up a number at the start of your week it shouldn't be a problem and offers something different as well as waitress service. We liked the Romantic and Italian but thought the Mexican was poor service and not very good food.
The beach barbecue takes place most nights at the beach restaurant but if you can't book, the same think happens at lunch time with no need to book offering meat, fish and a big dish of paella every day - delicious.
All in all, a good hotel which we thoroughly enjoyed

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jimCrawley
residentmanagerPVA, Gerente at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for posting your review on trip advisor regarding your recent stay let me say that your your recommendation are much appreciated,
We also apologize for inconvenience you had and be sure that your comments will be analyzed in order to improve.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future again!
Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
england
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed in Royal Service during the first two weeks of June. Royal service really is a hotel within the hotel. The pool and surrounds are a delight! The beach in front of Royal service is pretty and quiet and we spent a lot of time chilling on the beach with a bottle of champagne in an ice bucket!

The staff are very friendly and good fun and we had two excellent butlers especially Luis who was very attentive and helped us plan our holiday. Staff at the pool bar are great - attending to your every need especially Mojitos, Daiquiris, Molata's etc. Fresh fruit is brought around at 11am.

We enjoyed the small catamaran (based near the punto nautico in the main hotel) - they will take you out for free for half an hour to try it out. We snorkelled from the small catamaran and a professional photographer took lots of underwater photos of us with the fish for a small price.

The food is inconsistent - we had a few meals on our spacious balcony at our room and watched the sunset whilst eating delicious king prawns and lobster. At other time we left food - including lobster.

The rooms are spacious and we loved the daily bubble baths prepared by our butlers and found the outdoor shower very refreshing!

Thank you for a most wonderful holiday, but try and get the food right.

Room Tip: try and get a first floor room - better views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RiversideGirl
residentmanagerPVA, Gerente at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback following your recent stay at Paradisus Varadero. We are please to know how much you enjoyed your time at Royal service. We have taken note of your suggestions and comments regarding your butler Luis ,and we will tell him these positive comments.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Kind Regards
Devon England
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I concur with Hilary's report 100 per cent as we were there at the same time. I could not fault the hotel and lovely staff and our rep Yordi was a delight she had us in stitches.
Something they could not control were the Mosquitos I was bitten all over as were my fellow residents and flies on open food was not acceptable I reported this but nothing changed, apart from that it was a lovely hotel and I really enjoyed my stay the free massage was an added bonus with Holiday place. If you do go to Cuba please take clothes, cosmetics etc for the locals as they struggle with ration books and low wages to get what we take for granted we had teachers, civil engineers etc working in our hotel as in an ordinary job they get no extra I.e tips it makes a big difference to their lives. My favorite staff which is really rude as they were all fabulous were my lovely Ivan in lobby bar Durian in Royal Service Oslayda in the Rock House and our gorgeous Maybeli in the miramar bar they made our stay extra special. There is a lot of the world I still need to see but I will return next year haha x thank u so much.

Room Tip: Upgrade go Royal Service we had a pool view and it was lovely.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marilyntozer
residentmanagerPVA, Gerente at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for posting your detailed opinion at tripadvisor, because it is important to know positive and negative points about our services in order to improve these aspects you were not satisfied about.
We look forward to offer you an outstanding and much better service in your next visit according to your expectations.
Kind regards.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I returned from Paradiso Varadero a couple of weeks ago. I stayed at the Royal Service which is equivalent to international 5* standard. For a wholly owned government hotel, it holds it own. The room was large and spacious with a sitting area and the bathroom was separate from the WC. The bathroom had a jacuzzi and a separate outdoor shower (bliss). You can have a special bath prepared by your Butler daily or when required at an additional cost of 10cu. I would highly recommend that you try this at least once. The room had a mini bar with premium alcohol and this is replenish on request. As a non-drinker I settled for a selection of freshly squeezed juice - definitely true to nature!

On my first day, I found the choice of butler assigned to be disappointing as he failed to outline the services on offer, restaurants, Spa etc. Once I brought this to the attention of management the matter was rectified. You are assigned two butlers on a rotational basis, ensure you are fully briefed on the services on offer and seek confirmation of your restaurant booking. I admit that I did not visit any of the restaurants as their menu indicated a preference for international cuisine and I didn't travel all the way to Cuba to eat pasta! The hotel management were accommodating enough to prepare Cuban food on request- melt in your mouth gorgeous. The breakfast and lunch menu seem to be quite limited,however you are able to access the main hotel's restaurants should you wish.

The housekeeping service was not up to the required standard and once this was raised a notably improvement was observed. It is important to articulate what you want.

I never used the pool area but I noted that to get the Bali beds you have had to be there early to reserve the bed or your butler could do this on your behalf. The pool bar waitresses seem to ensure everyone had ample drinks and snacks. I enjoyed the beach area for lounging and I used this opportunity to chill out with fresh coconut water which are plucked daily. The beach is not accessible from the Royal Service end but you can enjoy full access from the main hotel.

You can take a leisure stroll to the main hotel in the evenings to enjoy the shows or request for a ride in a buggy car. You can also enjoy a visit to the town of Varadero during the day using the open top bus for 5cu. Please be aware that the prices of items on the commercial strip varies with the top end being cheaper than the centre. Remember to haggle!

Take up the offer to enjoy the hydrotherapy experience in the Spa. I had a rum and coffee massage with Vladimir in a hut facing the beach, after which I chilled out in the relaxation area -bliss! I also had a refreshing and restoration facial which proved to be well worth experience. A visit to the Spa is a must !

The drawback were lack of basis things like a bedroom slippers and the robes were worn-out. Also you need to take a travel adaptor as the hotel doesn't have one to loan. In addition, consider taking things like pain killers, plasters, toilet wipes etc.

It may be prudent to have your room sprayed with insecticide during the evening turn down service. However, as there is a gap between the door and the flooring this defeats the objective but I sealed the gap with a towel.

I found most of the staff attentive, professional and personable. My butlers were accommodating and made me very comfortable and nothing was too much for them.

I took the catamaran excursion which I found to be an enjoyable and worthwhile experience.

The staff valued the gift of leftover toiletries. This would reduce your baggage weight and minimise the opportunity to be ripped off at the airport.

It's important to note that the localsl prefer any currency other than American dollars .

Overall a worthwhile stay and I would be revisiting at the earliest opportunity.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Oyin209
Dear guest ,

Thank you for such a detailed comment about your stay in Paradisus Varadero.
First of all I would like to apologize for the dissatisfactions you encountered during your stay, we are going to pay close attention to all the negative remarks you have written in order to prevent similar events in the future
We look forward to offering you an outstanding and much better service in your next visit according to your expectations.
Kind Regards.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We returned a few weeks ago from our 15th trip to Paradisus Varadero. We stayed in the Royal Service part of the hotel and as always everything was of a very high standard. From the moment we arrived and were greeted by exceptional staff, all our needs were catered for and nothing was too much trouble.

The rooms were well maintained and very clean with an abundance of towels and toiletries, supplied each day by the maid. The mini bar was stocked each day and extra drinks supplied on request. The rooms are an absolute delight.

The butler service was available throughout our stay and made reservations in all the restaurants throughout the complex. All restaurants were definitely worth a visit and the standard of service was very high, and once again nothing was too much trouble. The buffet restaurant has a limitless choice of food and even the fussiest of eaters would find something to tempt their pallet.

The pool bar in Royal Service is excellent and Jorge and Cheena ensure all day that you have ample drinks and always remember your chosen tipple. They worked tirelessly keeping the pool area free of empty glasses and plates and ensuring you had enough towels around the pool. They would also take your order for a snack lunch at the pool if you so desired. Once again nothing was too much trouble.

How nice to walk around the beautifully maintained gardens where even the gardeners would greet you and wish you a nice day. They could always tell you what the weather was going to be.

The main part of the hotel is also well maintained with very friendly staff who are always ready to assist you. We have stayed in this part of the hotel many times and once again the rooms are very nice and well appointed and you do have the choice of having a room right next to the beach with a sea view, but even garden views are lovely because the gardens are so well cared for.

The beach is absolutely fantastic and with plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas and is wonderful for a stroll as you can go right along to the peninsular. Paradisus definitely has the best part of this long stretch of sand and as its name suggests is paradise.

We are one of many customers that return each year to this hotel, because of its location, its excellent accommodation, good restaurants and snack bars, and the most friendly and welcoming people you could ever wish to meet. Their aim is making your holiday as memorable as possible, and they certainly do this. It is the only place that we have found that we totally chill out and feel refreshed and when we get back to England feel that we have really had a holiday. We are already looking forward to our return visit in November 2013.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JohnCherrillP
residentmanagerPVA, Gerente at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear friend of Paradisus Varadero:
We are glad to know that your recent stay at “your home” Paradisus Varadero was wonderful and we take the chance to thank you for your high review about our staff, services and facilities you have enjoyed.
We hope we will get the chance to meet you again in the next future!
Warm regards.
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This was our first trip to Cuba and to the Paradisus Varadero. We have nothing but good things to say about this resort. We were in the Royal Service area and were treated beyond expectation. We will definitely stay here again. Thank you to all the staff for making this trip enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Renee B
QualityManagerPVA, Gerente at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Renee:
Thank you so much for your comments about our resort and in particular regarding the Royal Service. I have shared your comments with our team and they will be delight to see you again soon!
Best regards!
Shropshire
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We have just returned again from Paradisus Varadero. This was our 6th visit to the Royal Service section and as always was outstanding. We would like to thank all of the staff for making our stay perfect in every way. We had some lovely walks along the beach to the peninsular and what is nice is that you do not get any hassle on the beach from the vendors selling their hats and jewellery.

We would like to thank Jeorge and Cheena around the pool in particular for keeping us hydrated during the day. Snacks are also now served around the pool at lunchtime which is a great new service and means that you do not have to leave your Cabana apart from swimming in the pool.

The gardens are kept beautiful and the rooms are cleaned every day with fresh towels and a nice towel art on your bed which is nice to come back too after a hard day around the pool.

All of the butlers tend to all your requests for the restaurant bookings, although we did go down to the buffet most evenings as this suited us as we could eat when we wanted to and the food was excellent with plenty of choice. The Romantica Restaurant is a must as well as the Royal Service Restaurant. Fourteen nights was not enough and we are already booking for two weeks in October to see all our Cuban Family again.

We have heard that Thomson Airways will not be flying to Cuba next year which is a great shame. We have used their flight from Manchester to Varadero for the last four years and, when available, opt for the Premier Seats upgrade which is well worth the extra money.

We would personally recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of visiting Cuba, because you can be sure of having a great friendly holiday, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Royal Service is worth the extra
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank kotasteve
QualityManagerPVA, Gerente at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear friend of Paradisus Varadero:
What a lovely review from your recent stay with us, it was such a pleasure to read it.
We are really glad that our resort and especially our Royal Service have left you with such an impression of the Paradisus Hospitality once more, I have shared your comments with our staff and they are very happy to read your comments. Thank you for recommending us!
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Paradisus!
Best regards