“Cubans are wonderful!”
Review of IBEROSTAR Tainos

IBEROSTAR Tainos
Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just returned from our one week in Varedaro. Thank you to all the fabulous staff. Super Daylin in the lounge, and Alexandra at the front desk. So many nice Cubans we met.
Plus side of our vacation was spending time with our friends in the sun at this great resort.
We loved the food. The food was plentiful and although not that exciting, there was a lot to choose from. One down side, is the hours of the food. Ie. if you wanted ice cream at 10pm you had to wait til 1130 pm. Another area they could improve was the deserts. Beside the yummy ice cream there was alack of appetizing deserts. There was lots of similar tasting cakes and cookies but a little bland. The cooking staff were amazing and worked very hard to help you out. I regret not trying the Cuban a la cart. The Buffet and Japanese was great.
The rooms were huge and clean. We asked to move twice, once to get closer to our friends and then to get a king bed. They were so accommodating moving us from 2nd floor to another 2nd floor then to a main floor right next to the beach. However the last room was older and quite mouldy smelly, but we sucked it up as the staff had helped us so much. So if you can get 2nd floor bungalow that seems to be best.
The beach is close and awesome, clean and lots of activities to do. Only a few vendors snuck up on the beach to try to sell, but Truly the best part of Cuba is the fact when you say no thanks they let you go with a smile.
My husband and I regret to think that this will not last as we friendly Canadians want to show our appreciation by tipping like crazy that we will change the tourism to be more aggressive for our dollars. Previous reviews say that tipping isn't expected but we seen bathroom attendants to the tour bus attendants requesting tips!
Ensure you always have tissue handy for the restrooms as this is often provided by an attendant or not at all. Also some places (not sure when and when not) require you to not flush the paper. At the airport the attendant told us NOT to flush the paper.
Lastly you are to get a bottle of Cuban Rum when you leave as a gift, we did not and forgot to ask for it. Don't forget to just ask for what you need and you will be served with smiles.
Overall we loved Varedaro and Iberostar Tainos and would easily return again.
Brent and Bernie

Room Tip: 2nd floor bungalow
3  Thank Bernie122
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Bernie122,

We are deeply pleased that you have come to Iberostar Tainos for your vacation and that you have encountered our service and food amazing.

Thank you very much for your nice notes on your stay with us. We look forward to welcome you and your family soon again.

Warm regards
Alberto Herrera

Write a ReviewReviews (4,203)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just returned from 2 wonderful weeks (Feb. 25 - Mar.11) at Iberostar Tainos.
This was our 8th trip to CUBA, but 1st time to Varadero. We were 2 couples in our early 50s and loved every minute of it!

FOOD: Very good - great variety of tasty food at the buffett & poolside bar, you can always
find something to eat anytime of day. Japanese restaurant was also very good.

DRINKS: Good variety of cocktails & imported liquor (Canadian Club, Beefeater Gin, etc)
also awesome cappucinos & espressos.

STAFF: Excellent - Giselle at guest services, entertainment staff especially Elvis & Joanna,
bellboys Ernesto & Julio, ALL the bar & restaurant staff (too many to name) were very,
friendly, welcoming, and helpful!!!!!!!!!

BEACH: Great - lots of loungers & palapas

RESORT AREA & Pool: Great - always clean, never a shortage of loungers around the pool.

ROOMS: Very clean. We stayed in the bungalows, which were spacious, however, a little
dull & dated. TV reception was quite poor.
However, we did see that they are continually upgrading/renovating the rooms.

Location of Hotel: Was great - we were able to walk to the Dolphinarium & across from there to
Aquaworld & Chapelin Marina, where we fished off the docks ($10/person for
rod & bait) ate a wonderful lobster dinner at "Triton" restaurant for $14.75.
We were able to catch the double decker bus to Varadero nearby.

We felt very much "at home" here and will definately return!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear TeeGee62,

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you very much for your gracious comments.
Do not hesitate to contact us when you decide to come again to our Iberostar Tainos for a bit more pampering.

Warm regards

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel room was clean and the bed comfortable. There was only one chair (dining room type) around the small table in the room. The draperies were hanging off at one side but this was fixed by the housekeeper the second day we were there. We stayed in Room 3314 (second floor bungalow). Partial view of the pool - nice and quiet. Friends of ours stayed in the hotel - sink was falling off the wall and room was generally very rundown. Bring an electrical adapter - all plugs are 220.

The buffet was only okay - we didn't go hungry but it was not as good as the Breezes Jibacoa where we stayed 2 years ago. We didn't go to Cuba for the food. There were menu cards that had a the name of the dish in 5 or 6 different languages but the weird looking stuff had no card. Potatoes look like potatoes - no explanation needed, but it would be nice to know

TIP: The entertainment team works very hard and they should get tips more than the buffet servers or the housekeepers. Those young people worked their butts off all day trying to get people involved in everything from bingo to archery. Their boss was always on them to get people moving, even when they told him people just wanted to relax and enjoy the sunshine after 2 days of rain. They were always so friendly and happy! We learned a lot from talking to them about their country and how they live. It was fascinating.

We went on the island tour bus ($5 CUC all day hop on and hop off). It was a great way to see the Varadero peninsula.

We went on the Jeep safari. I wish someone had warned us that children in the villages come out into the middle of the road begging. Do up your windows and look straight ahead. They will reach in to the vehicle if you aren't careful. They want sunglasses, tshirts, hats, etc. Apparently a young child was killed last year by a vehicle. Maybe they should be taught not to stand in the road!

Overall, the hotel was fine. I wouldn't go back to Varadero again - just a tourist trap - no history, etc.

Room Tip: 2nd. floor bungalow Make sure it's away from the pool. If you face the pool you will have noise...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Lianne V,

I wish to thank you very much your feedback in regards to your experience with us. I have taken note of all the comments that of course are discussed with the involved department heads.
Once again, I really appreciate your constructive comments which highlight specific areas that we need to rectify to improve our standards, and to reach for a perfect service.

In Iberostar Tainos we all work with that goal in mind and we will not stop until we have achieved it.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Just got back from a relaxing week in Cuba. We stayed at the Iberostar Tainos, a wonderful place. We were welcomed by the staff, Ernesto greeted us with a drink and brought our luggage to our bungalow. Our bungalow was fantastic, right by the pool. Our teenage son's had the bungalow below us. Both wonderful rooms. The buffet was great everynight with a variety of foods. The servers, Orlando, Jean, and all who waited on us on a daily basis were so friendly and got to know us very well. Off to the lounge bar where we were looked after by Daylin, I love this girl, she is so cute, the bartenders and the other servers treated us all like gold. Julio had taken care of my husband by the pool everyday and kept us refreshed. Our boys were very comfortable being left to do their own thing at the resort. They had something going on every hour for entertainment. After suppers we enjoyed the live singers or bands they had playing, all very talented. The saxophone player was awesome! The beach was kept immaculately clean, the grounds were the same. The people that work at this resort get to know you ,call you by name, answer any questions they can and make you feel at home. We truly enjoyed this vacation. We even got to know the manager, my son told him he had a great place and wonderful staff! Our maid kept our rooms in tip top shape. These people are very kind and generous, we enjoyed ourselves so much we would definetly go back to this resort again. The Elliott family would like to Thank everyone who made our vacation a wonderful, relaxing, enjoyable and fun!! Miss you guys already... Roberto you have wonderful staff and a beautiful hotel, we can't wait to come back and see you guys :)

Room Tip: We stayed in a bungalow which was just awesome.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Donna C

Dear Donna C,

On behalf of all our staff at Iberostar Tainos we would like to thank you and your family for choosing our hotel for your vacations. We are glad to know that we were able to make your days with us wonderful. I will forward your review to our animation team & restaurant service., they will be happy to know that you remember them and their services. It is a pleasure to assist a respectfully and caring family like yours, who appreciate the effort that the staff make day by day. I would like to thank you as well for your nice words about my assistance, and I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope we can welcome you back in the future, I am sure we will meet again.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We first stayed here 4 yrs ago and again from 1st-11th March. We'd stupidly booked ourselves into Sol Sirenas Coral resort for 2 weeks but it was such an awful experience (that you can read all about on my review of the place) we upgarded and came "home" to Tainos. That was the day our holiday started and NEVER again will I make the mistake of going anywhere else in Varadero when we do go back.

The staff here are second to none. Each and every member of staff is so friendly and hospitable they are an absolute credit to themselves and to each and every one of their guests. Beautiful people and clearly very happy to work there too. We recognised a few old faces too. Elvis, George, Joanna spring immediately to mind.

SO good and attentive is this place that we were invited to a "repeat guests" cocktail party.
We received a bottle of Rum and a his and her silver keyring!!! And the lovely lady who presented it to us was SO genuine in her thanking us for coming back that I nearly cried!

We have nothing but good things to say about Tainos. Thank you for having us back- at such short notice! We WILL return again one day.

Anybody reading this who is STILL not sure..... Just book yourselves in and enjoy. Otherwise pay for me to go!! The only thing that could possibly make you frown would literally be the weather!

2  Thank happygoluckyuk66
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear happygoluckyuk66,

We are deeply pleased that you have come to Iberostar Tainos for your second time vacation and that you have encountered our service amazing.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I am tempted to write a horrible review of the Tainos so as to discourage others from choosing it as a destination – the old supply and demand driving up prices theory. Alas, I can’t do that because a bad review would be the furthest from the truth.

We stayed at Tainos from March 1st to March 7th. Actually we only arrived at 7:30 am March 2nd courtesy of Sunwing, a.k.a. the airlines that loves to delay you and make you wait and wait and wait. ( I won’t bother you with the details or the additional surprise delay of our return flight.) Because of the very late arrival, we spent most of Saturday sleeping. We didn’t miss much because it rained all day and into much of Sunday morning when the clouds finally broke and the sun made its first appearance. From Sunday on the weather improved but it remained somewhat on the cool side for Cuba, especially in the evenings.

The Tainos is an older, smaller, compact resort built on a human scale. This makes it conducive to meeting people and making new friends. We met people from four different continents and many Canadians. Everyone we met was friendly and welcoming. The ambiance and intimacy of the place seemed to affect everyone positively. Everything on the property is located close to everything else. Being older, there are things in some need of repair and maintenance which was ongoing while we were there. The villa rooms are small, but everything works –good AC and plentiful hot water. The furniture is a bit dated and there was a lack of drawer space. The beds were relatively comfortable, and we had a new, decent sized, flat screen which I think I turned on briefly once or twice. I only sleep and wash in the room, so it was adequate for my needs. If you’re expecting large, newly furnished, luxurious rooms, go elsewhere. The housekeeping services were excellent, and the room was kept immaculately clean.

The grounds are mature and very well-tended. The beach is long and beautiful, and the pool is large, clean and refreshing.

The gym was a major disappointment for me because I like to squeeze in a short workout early in the morning. Most of the equipment in the gym was broken or temporarily out-of-order. In addition, it didn’t open until 9:00 pm which I found to be late. Apparently, new equipment is waiting in a warehouse off shore somewhere for paper work to be completed allowing it to be brought into the country.
The food was plentiful, diverse and well prepared. One could literally eat all day if one wanted. Bar service and selection was excellent and quick.

Live music at the Tainos was a real treat. I have never been to a resort which featured so many excellent and talented musicians. Even the evening show was accompanied by a live band instead of recorded music which is something I have never been treated to at any other resort in Cuba or elsewhere.

As so many others have commented, the staff is outstanding – welcoming, helpful and more than accommodating – the best I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Please be generous and tip well. They are not well paid. Moreover, treat them with respect. Keep in mind that the person pouring your drink or picking up your dirty plates was once a university professor, an engineer or other well educated professional.

The only peeve I have about the Tainos is that most of the men’s toilets in the common areas had no toilet seats, no paper towels (a roll of toilet paper is not a good substitute) and too often no toilet paper. I don’t get it. I expect it at the Varadero airport, but not at the resort. It reflects badly on the resort and the Iberostar brand – end of rant.

Honestly, I was more than satisfied with our choice and experience, and I can’t understand some of the ridiculous complaints from the usual whiners that have appeared here. I look forward to returning next year.

Room Tip: I recommend a villa room.
3  Thank ShadowCanada

Dear ShadowCanada,

Thank you for choosing our Hotel, the Iberostar Tainos for a part of your travel to Cuba and that you liked your stay so much.
Comments like yours are very important to keep working every day to exceed the expectations of our customers and achieve ever greater improvement of our staff.
Do not hesitate in contacting us if you are planning to come again to Iberostar Tainos.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at the Iberostar Tainos from March 2nd-March 9th having previously visited this resort in 2011. I must say that we had a really awesome week and would absolutely return to the Tainos for a 3rd time. The amazing staff, great location, and stunning stretch of beach are what make the Tainos such a great place.

Service: By far the best asset of the Iberostar Tainos is the service you will receive. Every member of the staff is pleasant and willing to go above and beyond to make your stay a memorable one. We were so happy to reconnect with some of the people from our last visit. I want to give a special mention to Diana at the buffet who remembered us instantly. She welcomed us with a hug and a smile. You cannot meet a more friendly and genuinely good person and she is a real star. I was also happy to see Yudel at the lobby bar again, who also remembered us and was great all week yet again. We were disappointed to not see Orlando this visit but we did also make some new Tainos friends. Roxanna and Yanita at the buffet were also amazing, attentive and hilarious. Daysi at the pool bar is super efficient and friendly. Those are but a few of the great people at this resort. Our maid did a great job all week and there were countless other bartenders and servers that made our stay great. Additionally reception staff were very efficient and friendly. I want to also mention the hard work of the Guest services manager Giselle. She was very helpful booking our a la cartes as well as informative if we had any general questions. She hosted an exceptional champagne reception for returning guests and really took the time to talk with you. One last mention, Elvis was of course Elvis. Absolutely hysterically funny and talented. I joined in more activities than I usually do not because I felt pressured but because he makes you want to. At no time did I feel any of the Star Friends were pushy and left you to relax if you wanted to. The team at the Tainos is top notch and yet again made our trip memorable. there is a reason so many people were at the reception for returning guests.

Food: I won't get into the food a whole lot because there really isn't much to say. It was well cooked and there were plenty of options to choose from. I am missing the fresh cooked omelets in the morning. Sure I can see how some of the food gets tiring for people but that is the nature of a buffet anywhere. They work on a rotation and try to have a wide variety so that everyone can find something. If you can't find something to eat than there would be no pleasing you. Don't expect gourmet choices but you should certainly not go hungry. The Cuban a la carte was decent but nothing special. We really enjoyed the Japanese again although I was a bit disappointed that they changed things up a bit. There aren't really menus anymore and a little less flair with the cooking but still impressive nonetheless.

The Resort Itself: We found the grounds to be well taken care of and the new furniture in the lobby is a big upgrade. We also really appreciated the new sun beds which were far more comfortable than their predecessors. Our room was basic but very clean and we had no complaints. There were however some issues with the resort that are obviously being addressed. The boardwalk to the beach was apparently disposed of and the the beach bar has been gutted due to damage from Sandy. They were tearing down the beach bar and starting to rebuild by the end of the week. Currently there is a surprisingly good temporary bar set up so don't fear beach lovers. The fountains were all drained and they spent the week scraping the old paint. It is clear that there are improvements on the way for the Tainos and I truly believe that with a little work and some updating this will be a resort that going forward will keep getting better. Sure some of the resort can look a bit dated but it will be clean. I would suggest management look at fixing up the gym a bit. Only one elliptical, one stair-climber, and one bike worked. Most of the equipment was not in working order. The grounds though as I said were immaculate and the gardeners should get a lot of credit.

One last thing I should mention and this is not reserved for the Iberostar Tainos at all. We noticed a number of annoying vendors that have popped up all along the beach. The walk back and forth all day loudly calling on people to buy their stuff. The security guard had to tell a number of these vendors to get lost because they were bothering people. Certainly not the fault of the Tainos and they did a good job keeping the vendors away mostly but something you should be aware of.

So that's my review of the Iberostar Tainos. We spent a great week there and will certainly be returning. Don't let the small hiccups deter you from visiting such a great resort. As I've said, the strength of the Tainos is the amazing team that work there and the beautiful beach. Sure it could do with an update in some areas but the other factors far outweigh this. If you want a resort that has great people and welcomes you like it is your home, this is the place for you. We just can't stress enough how exceptional we were treated. The Tainos will always be our Cuban home and I strongly encourage you to book this resort if you are considering it. See for yourself why people keep coming back and why we will continue to. Thank you to the team at the Iberostar Tainos for a great week!

Room Tip: Bungalows offer the best mix of location and privacy.
9  Thank IslanderOnTheGo

Dear IslanderOnTheGo,

It is really nice to read the detailed feedback you had placed at this Webpage. We do appreciate the time you had taken to share your valuable impressions to other users.
Staff members appreciate to know that their efforts have been appreciated, thank you for highlighting the high service that you received during your stay.
Allow me to reiterate our gratitude for choosing Iberostar Tainos and for taking the time to share your comments with us.