“Good food, great staff”

Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Edmonton, Alberta
“Good food, great staff”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We (2 couples) returned from Tainos today. We were on the 3rd level of the main building facing the street the first night, a bit of noise from the taxis and buses so we moved to bungalow 28 next to the mini club the next day. The bungalow was quiet and closer to the pool and beach. There is a large selection of food at the buffet and the main courses change daily. The waitresses are very attentive and freindly, they remember how you like your coffee, and if you usually have red or white wine or beer with your meal. Our meal at the Japanese restaurant was salty and loaded with soy sauce, not nearly as good as the buffet food. The animation girls and guys are a hoot, they remember your name and where you come from after the first meeting. The lobby bar is simply a big, high ceiling room with a bar, The drinks are good, but there is no music, no ambiance, no view, taxis and buses dropping and picking up people checking in or out, and a hundred people talking really, really loud (especially the French speakers). We preferred the smaller bars where you can hear your companions. Bring insect repellent, the no-see-ums or sand flies bite you mostly from your knees down, and they are super itchy.

Room Tip: The bungalows are more up dated, nicer and a lot quieter than the mail hotel building. The drapes in...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MossL
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear MossL,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your honeymoon stay. It was with a great pleasure to read your review and complimentary comments as well as your constructive notes. I am sure that your suggestions and observations are also valuable for other readers.

We look forward to your return to Iberostar Tainos and I wish you all the best.

Kind regards
Alberto Herrera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Hello everybody,
Our family, 2 adults and 2 kids 3 and 9, just spent a week at Tainos Jan 13-21. We stayed here for a week last year in February as well.
Both times it was an excellent experience.
I've read some of recent reviews and agree that Tainos has Pros and Cons; but yes, PROS definitely outweighs the cons!
The hotel is older, signs of wear in the room. It didnt bother us at all; coz I agree with some of previous reviewers; how much time do you spend i the room? I hope not much.

Rooms/Beds: comfy, we asked to change a pillow - it was done in no time! Our maid, Elien, did a wonderful job cleaning the room without disturbing us (my youngest still had her naps); her towel arts were amazing, as I will post in pictures in the end!

Food: Honestly, I prefer the food to be unsalty/unspicy - use your imagination and spice it up yourself per your taste - there was plenty of sauces etc. The food is plenty and for all tastes. If someone complains - well - I think they might be a bit spoiled.

Beach - outstanding! We made a walk on the shore till Paradisus Varadero hotel - and Tainos has the best beach so far in my opinion.

Lobby- they got new furniture since our last stay which looks great - too much smoke for my taste so I never spent time there. I think some Canadians, because they are suddenly given the freedom to smoke anywhere, decided to smoke 5 cigarettes at a time!

Massage- If you haven't tried - you ought to try Noel's massage! 20$ for an hour massage of the best quality!

Staff - Thanks Star Friends for awesome vacation! Nameiza, Arliene, Tamara, Alexandra, Sheyla, and everybody else I couldnt remember names, and of course Elvis!!!
We will be back!

Last tip: Dont forget to tip! Everytime we come I bring lots of kids cloth from my kids; and some little gifts - it is very much appreciated.
Dont forget to tip the gardeners! They work hard but are invisible.

Room Tip: We stayed in bungalow 28 - chose a room on the opposite side from the pool - afternoons could be noi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LooveCuba
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had a wonderful time at Iberostar Tainos and would not hesitate to go back.
The food was good, not great, but I would always expect things to be different when outside of Canada. There was a large assortment so you can always find things that interest you. There isn't too much change from day to day so you can find something you like and stick to it, however, it get's a bit boring.

The hotel itself is a pretty standard resort. There are always going to be a few changes and touch-ups needed and there are definitely some that need to be done here as well(especially the deadly slow elevators). While we were there, the ceiling on one of the elevators appeared to have fallen in and it was left this way for at least 24 hours, propped open with a lobby tree. Once it was back in action, it didn't resolve the speed problem. To get from the lobby to the third floor takes about 2-3 minutes. The stairs are faster, however they are only located at the very ends of the halls(leading outside) and completely out of the way when your room is located next to the elevator. I found our room location to be perfect, located inside the main resort building, we had quick access to reception, the lobby bar, shops and food, and the pool and beach are a reasonable distance to walk.

Now, what makes Tainos an amazing place? The people of course. As you can see there are a few that seem to really make an impact on everyone. I spent a large portion of my evenings in the lobby bar, so I was especially pleased with the service I received from Sandy, Yudel, Yadil, Reisel and Daylin. After a night of drinking, a nice visit with Frankie in the snack bar was always a pleasure. While enjoying our meals, we had the most wonderful service from Aneytis and of course I would never want to forget our wonderful housekeeper Yanara. She was able to get us the help we needed with an electrical outlet in a timely manner and left us a lovely note wishing us a Happy New Year.

The only problem that I have with the staff at Tainos is the reception. They were not warm, welcoming and friendly like everyone else we encountered. They were cold, rude and not at all helpful. We requested a phone number and were provided with the incorrect information, when I called to ask why it wasn't working, they told me to come to the desk and they would help. When I did that, she looked at the number (which she had written only moments before) and told me it was wrong, corrected it and sent me back to my room. I asked if I could make the call there at the desk and she told me that normally I could, but she already closed the lines for the day and it was too much work to re-open them for just one call. It was only 4pm, so I don't know why things were being closed for the day already. When asked to have a key made as we were only given one for 2 people, I was given a hard time about the other key not working. When trying to exchange money, we were blatantly ignored for over 5 minutes while they folded paperwork, even after making ourselves seen. No one even asked us to kindly "wait one moment" which would have at least made us feel like they acknowledged our presence. When looking for medical attention, the most useful person was Jean(I’m not sure what his actual job title is, but he was washing the windows). He was able to tell us where to go, where to wait, and came to let us know that the medical staff has arrived at the building and were ready.

All in all, we were quite happy with the resort and would not hesitate to go back in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank JEH87
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear JEH87,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your visit to Iberostar Tainos. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel facilities.
Staff members appreciate to know that their efforts have been appreciated, thank you for highlighting the high service that you received during your stay.
I have taken note of all the comments that of course are discussed with the Front Desk Staff.
Allow me to reiterate our gratitude for choosing Iberostar Tainos and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Iberostar Tainos

Kind Regards
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

excellent hotel excellent staff. be back in sept. cant wait. people who complain about hotel or staff or food should stay at home. we dont live in a perfect world. but i believe the great reviews outweigh the negative ones. go stay and make your own opinions. you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank saoirse199
Dear Saoirse199,

Thank you for giving us and other readers of Trip Advisor your very positive comments. I am glad to know that you have perceived the true essence of our hotel.
We are keen to welcome you again I September to the Iberostar Tainos and I remain at your entire disposal,

Warm Regards
Sainte Adele Qc
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Where at Tainos from Jan 1st to 8th 2013. It was our first trip to Varadero. We have been to the Cayo Coco and Cayo Santa Maria for years; used to recently built huge hotel complex.
Was a little skeptic about a small and older complex.
We where a group of 12 and all where unanimous.
We fell in love with Tainos. Old yes but very well maintained and renovated.
Vegetation is mature and great
Rooms are nice and confortable, everything in working order, generous water pressure, flat screen TV, many rooms with bran new furniture
Beach is fabulous, quiet, short walk from rooms
Pool was smaller than the mega complex we are used to, with no in pool bar, but clean and nice.
Food was good (for Cuba) always a good choice, fresh, tasty.
Staff are great , helpful, happy to serve you,…
Only complain, and its very minor, the only place to get a cappuccino is at the lobby bar… that opens at 9AM
Fell in love with Tainos. Only dream to go back

Room Tip: Insist on having your room in the bungalows
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank MiMeSainteAdeleQc
Dear MimeSainteAdeleQc,

All the staff and Management team at Iberostar Tainos wants to thank you for sharing your comments and experience with us and other readers.
We are glad to know that you were able to enjoy our services,
We hope we can welcome you back again in a near future.

Best regards,
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was in a party of four adults (2 couples) from 3rd to 17th January, 2013. This hotel is typically Cuban. The staff are very friendly and can't do enough to help. The rooms are very clean and comfortable (slept like a log every night), the only downside was no tea/coffee making facilities. The food is very good, there is the usual buffet restaurant where the choice and quality are brilliant, my advice is don't pay attention to any reviews which pull the food down and there's nobody more faddy with food than me! There's a Japanese restaurant which is a must (we went twice) and there's a Cuban restaurant which serves traditional Cuban food. The animacion team are very good with shows every night and poolside games during the day, The resident nutcase is a guy called Elvis. This is the only hotel I've ever know anywhere where there was live entertainment by the poolside bar, which is one of two places where lunch is served (the other being the main buffet restaurant. The grounds and poolside are very clean and pretty. There is a bar right on the beach outside the hotel. The reception/money exchange is manned 24 hours a day. The one area which I feel could be improved is the decor in the reception/lobby where a lick of new emulsion on the walls wouldn't go amiss but everywhere else is spotless and the hotel is having an overhaul anyway (new furniture was being delivered whilst we were there) so it's possible this could be being sorted out. There is the main hotel and severe blocks of what they call bungalows which are like two-storey chalets. we stayed in one of the bungalows which are more private than the main building. Overall I found this to be a brilliant hotel, its good points far outnumber its not so good ones and it's not so good ones are trivialities. I've been to Cuba four times now and it's the best Cuban four star I've ever stayed in. Hopefully, I'm going back next year and will be booking here again and hopefully getting a bungalow again.

One piece of general advice for anyone who does not know Cuba is that overall, Cuban hotels are a bit more basic than the same star rated hotels in some other countries, e.g. 5 star is more like 4 star so if you go less than 5 star don't expect the Ritz. That said, as I said before I would definitely use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Request one of the bungalows, but you can't do this when you book, you can only request one when...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MARIEB692
Dear MARIEB692,

It is really nice to read the detailed feedback you had placed at this Webpage. We do appreciate the time you had taken to share your valuable impressions to other users.

We are also more than glad to know that you had a pleasurable time at our outlets, and that you found our food offerings great.

Once again I do thank you for sharing with us your kind notes.

Looking forward to host you in the near future,

Sarnia
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This Cuban resort had the best food . The rooms were clean and yes a little outdated but not more then touch up wont fix. The staff was very helpful and always friendly. Julio had my tea for me every morning without me asking ..... The rooms were cleaned before noon and always had towel art. We even received a bottle of rum for a welcoming gift. Shows every night and bands every evening and afternoon. The beach was fantastic and no shortage of lounge chairs. Would go back in a minute. Thanks for a great vacation.

Room Tip: We were close to everything in room 3202
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank cubachicksarnia
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear cubachiksarnia,

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you very much for your gracious comments.

Do not hesitate to contact us when you decide to come again to our Iberostar Tainos for a bit more pampering.

Kind regards