“Second Times a Charm”

Ranked #16 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“Second Times a Charm”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

This was my second time to this resort in 7 months. Like last time, the staff and service was amazing. My favourite people at the front desk are: Analyse, Hayde, Eva Lis, Claudia, Tanya, and Mariouska and several others who's names I cannot recall. My favourite bellboy was Ernesto and the maintenance fellow, Julio, was a sweetheart. However, no one tops the sweetness of one of the gardener's who's name is Aloy. Such a nice fellow with a great smile.

As one who has had many, many massages in spa's all over the world (and cruise ships too) I have never had a massage as good as the massages that Noel gives. I highly recommend booking a massage or 4!!! ...and the price is right too... $10 for a half hour back massage... can't beat that!!

The food this time was not as good as it was last time, but it was still better than any other place. The Japanese restaurant is amazing. The food there was fantastic and the chef puts on a show while he prepares it.

We stayed in the main hotel (like last time) and it was wonderful and comfortable. I hear the villas are pretty good as well. The pool is kept very clean and the entertainment staff are always on the go getting people involved in all sorts of games. My favourite was the mini golf because I kicked some guys butt who kept bragging that he was the champ. The beach is also impeccable. Catamarans available any time you want to go for a sail as well as paddle boats and kayaks at no extra charge. The evening entertainment is okay. The kids try really hard to put on a show, but they need a little more practice. There is however this incredible saxophone player; a young guy named YoYi who works in the resort by day... this kid is talented!! I have never heard anybody play with such feeling; he really made his sax sing!

I love this resort so much that we are already planning our return visit in a few months!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tyme2trekk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Yorkshire
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Well this was our 3rd visit in 3 years, we stayed the first 2 weeks of December 2011.Upon arrival to going home we were treat so well and I must say a big thank you to all staff. We met Dejan, the Manager for the first time, and I have to say I do not know of any other hotel manager that takes so much time to introduce himself to guests, to listen to their comments and to continually improve the resort and the service.
The majority of complaints about this hotel come from reviewers I think do not understand Cuba. Let's start with the food. The food at this resort is the best I have had at an all inclusive resort anywhere. Sometimes there is lack of a particular fruit or while we were there there was a lack of beef. Such a shame as their carpaccio of beef was wonderful on the previous visit. The reason there are shortages is because Cuba has to rely on shipments coming in from the countries they are able to trade with. If there is a lack of food at the Tainos, then there will be a lack of food at all the hotels. Having said this, there is so much choice, and food available 24 hours, you never go hungry and the standard of food is exceptional. We were lucky to be invited to one of the bar tenders houses. His cousin works as a chef in the main restaurant. (Adail). The food was magnificent, I have to say, and the presentation was top class restaurant standard. The Head Chef, Allexandro seems to work most hours of the day. He is constantly checking all the food, and if you have special requirements, nothing is too much trouble. One thing I do need to say though is some guests do take more food than they can possibly eat (embarrasingly large amounts).

The resort is small scale and because of this the staff do get to know you. The staff here are the friendliest ever, and many have worked at the hotel for years. Even the gardeners remebered us and greeted us so well. Thank you Giselle for looking after us. Thank you Riesel, Yudel, Fraga, Daylin and Sandy in the lobby. Thank you Beatrice in the restaurant. Thank you Julio and Mary at the pool bar. (Don't even need to ask for a drink!) Thank you Adenes in the speciallity restaurants. The hotel is a little 'shabby' but is undergoing improvements. Dejan told us that he requested new furniture in 2009. He will received the new furniture this year! This is the Cuban way! The wooden walk way down to the beach was closed. Dejan advised that new wood was on it's way. Cubans have to wait paitienty for things as goods aren't readily available to them. Unlike some resorts because the Tainos is so popular, it will not close to undergo refurbishment. Please see my other reviews of this hotel. So many people come back time after time. If you are looking for a wonderfully luxurious hotel then this one isn't for you. However the price of this hotel does reflect this. The hotel is also located on the best stretch of beach. (in my opinion) The reason so many guest return is the people that work there. They cannot do enough for you. The rooms are large, and the bungalows have large balconies. If you request a particular room or location, either prior to your stay or while you are there, the Reception staff do everything they can to accomodate.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
18 Thank seabie73
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2012

We stayed her from 29/12/11 until 12/1/12. I have been to Cuba before and I loved it this time as much as last time. The hotels are not the standard you get elsewhere but the friendly staff just make the holiday. And the staff at the Tainos were fantastic! New Year Eve was a brilliant night with the gala dinner and great show. And Elvis and the entertainment staff were brilliant. The staff in the lobby bar were great including Reisel, Sandy etc who were so friendly and helpful even at 1am!! The service was brilliant with waiter service in the lobby and pool bars something you didn't get in other higher star resorts I have stayed in. The manager saw us twice and informed us of the renovations taking place during 2012 and also made sure we had had a nice stay. The hotel was clean, food good but for me the staff and the fab people we might there made our holiday. I will definitely go back to Cuba for a third time!

Room Tip: Request a bungalow
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nicola W
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2012

This was our second visit to tainos and i can say it only gets better The staff is great Special mention> george ,udell ,frankie, sandy>what a voice Sings while he works! Food is great! The staff makes sure all your needs are met Best beach on the strip We will see all our new friends next year again Not looking for another hotel as this hotel has it all See you in jan 2013 Your friends Karen and Alan Windsor ont

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank alan l
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I visited this resort for first time from January 9 to 16, 2012. In my group was 4 adults and 2 children. We realy enjoyed our stay in this resort. Everything was perfect, rooms (bungalow), very delicious food, beach, very freindly staff, entertainment shows, etc.
Dejan the general manager work ethic is reflected throughout.Nothing is too much trouble for him and he will always try to ensure your stay is a happy one and his staff follow.
We will go there back very soon.
Rooms 3801 and 3901

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank sasavi
Richmond Hill
Reviewed January 22, 2012

First of all, I do not recommend any 4 star hotels in Varadero for your vacation. Choose only 5 stars in Varadero or 4 stars in other areas in Cuba.

About Iberostar Tainos...The renovations need to be done in each room in this hotel.Walls and furniture in the rooms and in the reception area in the main building are in terrible conditions. Ants are everywhere in a room even on 4th floor in the main biding. We requested to change the room right after our arrival in the hotel. The first room in the bungalow we got was horrible: awful smell from the washroom, walls with mold and dirty furniture. The second room in the main building was more or less OK comparing with the fist one to stay for a week. The wooden bridge to the beach are partially broken and closed to walk on. Nobody cleans up the beach from plastic garbage during the day and sea weeds after storm. Everything around is old and worn out!
All equipment used for children's activities is broken: archery, air guns, outdoor chess.
The territory of the resort is small and boring. If you like snorkeling you will not find corral riffs with fish close to the seashore of this resort.

Positive moments: The staff is friendly. Food is good. We enjoyed excursions to Havana and Jeep Safari. Night shows are excellent as everywhere in Cuba.

Conclusion: I love Cuba, but I will never return to Iberostar Tainos in Varadero.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank CosmoMe
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We went to the Tainos about a month ago. We had a great time. It is a very clean, relaxing hotel. We arrived before 6am with half a bus load of people. Of course as most hotels the room is not ready by 6am as guests have not checked out yet. We were travelling with a 15 month old. The receptionist at the desk was so nice, even though she was the only one working at the desk. She made arrangements for us to have another room near the lobby until our room was ready. This was so appreciated as a nap and change were needed. As a whole this resort went out of their way to make sure my son was comfortable. When we got our bungalow room, they had arranged a crib in the room. The room was very large and clean.
The beach is incredible! The beach bar is busy but the bartender was always friendly. We have stayed at other resorts in Varadero and felt the only thing missing was a place to get food on the beach. Other resorts we stayed at we never left the beach all day. The food is only a short walk so it was not that bad. The boardwalk was a little scary looking with broken boards, but they closed it that week and started repairing it.
The food is ok. We have stayed at 5 stars in Varadero with incredible food. The food here was good, but maybe a little repetative by the end of the week.
The shows!!! Oh the shows!!! With a toddler we only made it to a couple but they were awesome. Almost comparable to the Tropicana Varadero. The dancing and music was amazing, and so many costume changes. The evening entertainment in the outdoor square was always entertaining. My only complaint was the music was so good that you often could not find a seat or table there. The area could easily be bigger as many enjoyed the music put on.
This resort is great for kids. They had a fantastic kids club and you would often see them playing games with the kids on the beach. I have to say the women they have looking after the kids are so kind! What a lovely bunch. And after they worked so hard all day they were wonderful dancers in the show. We took our son to the mini- disco every night. He loved it. This is a great family resort. This is a quiet place for a little R&R. I would definately go back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family