Barcelo Sol Y Mar
My friend and I vacationed here April 23rd to May 1st and had a fantastic time! We didn’t realise till about half way through the trip that Solymar means Sun and Ocean, which there is lots of in Cuba.
Check in- the bus ride from the airport is not very long at all. Once we arrived we were checked in right away and the staff was all very nice. They delivered our luggage to the room for us. We were on the fourth (top) floor and walked the stairs many times because the elevator didn’t look or sound all that safe. There were 21 flights of stairs, yes we counted! We got a good workout from walking up those.
Bars- there was a piano bar near the entertainment room, lobby bar, pool bar, lunch/pool bar and beach bar all evenly spread throughout the resort. They had menus to give you ideas of the drinks to order. Our favourite was the banana dacari’s. They often remind you of something called Cuban time, meaning that what to us would be five minutes, to them would be more like 15-20mins. They are in no rush there to do anything fast which is fine because neither were we.
Food- A LOT OF CARBS! We ate French fries, pizza and buns almost every day. The food got really repetitive for us. There were not many dairy options beside ice-cream which was the best I’ve ever had. We did not like the breakfast there at all, the bacon is usually really fatty and the eggs were cold. The best places to eat at were the two pool snack bars. We went to the A la carte Italian and Cuban. We had the chicken at both, I loved the chicken at the Cuban one, the Italian one wasn’t very good but most other things on the menu there looked better.
Pool and beach- the resort is very large with bungalows spread throughout. There was a relaxing pool that was peaceful, and then there was an entertainment pool with music and activities. We spent a lot of time at the beach because the sand was so beautiful and they played music we recognized from Canada. There were quite a few topless women on the resort and beach therefore may not be appropriate if traveling with children. The weather was very hot every day but there was one day that it rained.
Staff- the entertainment staff was always around, they were fun and George is very good looking! haha The entertainment shows started at 9:30pm every night. Most of the shows were dancing which didn’t interest us too much, but there was a magic show one night that was absolutely amazing! The entertainment staff would take you out after the shows to different night clubs but you had to pay for the cab, entrance fee and for your drinks so it gets costly. There is a hair salon, spa, bank, cigar and gift shops all in the hotel which was very convenient. The hotel room was always very clean, our maid came early which was nice and we left her gifts everyday and in return she would leave us a note or towel art. We didn’t have a sign for our door that said do not disturb so we requested one at the desk two days in a row and never got one the whole week.
Excursions- we were with Sunwing and went on the catamaran day excursion. It was 99 convertible pesos which once we exchanged our Canadian money, worked out to be 140$ Canadian. The exchange is not very good there. The weather wasn’t nice the day we went but it was still a lot of fun. We swam with the dolphins, snorkelled and went for lobster lunch on a different beach. We all danced on the boat and had a good time. You can get a picture with the dolphins and buy it at your hotel later that night for 10 pesos which was well worth the memory. Defiantly a great place to be.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel Barceló Solymar stands right on the sea front of the top spot of Varadero beach, Cuba's best-known tourist destination. With a privileged setting just a few metres from the city centre, this exclusive resort, surrounded by beautiful gardens, offers a wide variety of services characterised by the excellent Barceló All-Inclusive program. Highly recommended for families, couples and those who enjoy diving and water activities in general. Guests at the Barceló Solymar and Barceló Arenas Blancas hotels can enjoy the facilities at either hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Barcelo and Booking.com so you can book your Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Hotel Solymar
- Barcelo Hotel Varadero
- Barcelo Solymar Cuba
- Barcelo Solymar Hotel Cuba
- Barcelo Solymar Beach Resort
- Barcelo Solymar Varadero Cuba
- Barcelo Sol y Mar