“Not too bad”

Ranked #31 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
BC
“Not too bad”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

If you are on a budget and generally easy going this resort will just may cut it.
the rooms were specially nice and by most the food worked great for us.
Being there with a 20 month old, we got to enjoy our time with enough play and food to make the vacation a success.
Service is a bit on a slow side even for Cuba.
Go here for strong drinks and good parties mostly, although there are few quiet spots too.

1 Thank Joker007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Just arrived home after spending 2 weeks at the Solymar Beach Hotel. We were very impressed by the effort that this hotel makes. The artistic displays made out of fruit and vegetables in the buffet were incredible. The food, by Cuba standards, was good and the chefs work very hard. The staff in the restaurant were always smiling, professional and courteous. The entertainment was awesome. We had a bungalow room which I thought was an upgrade but it had 3 double beds in it and was not what we were expecting. It was also on the main floor between the beach bar and pool bar and was very loud at times. We did have clothing go missing from the patio, so I would not get the lower floor the next time. The people that work at this hotel are amazing. There are a lot of young, very drunk people that go to this hotel and I found some of them to be very offensive. I feel sorry for the staff having to deal with this on a daily basis. They left their cups on the beach and in the pool area which was very sad. At sunset when the tide came up they all washed out. It must be hard for the local people dealing with this on a day-to-day basis and the Cuban people are the most amazing people I have ever met. We really appreciated all the effort this hotel went to make our stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: Bungalow room outdated but in a nice garden area.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank elke26
BarceloSmAb, Director General at Barcelo Solymar, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent Stay at Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas.

We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests but reviews like yours serve us to motivate us even more; Allow us to confirm that these persons will be congratulated for the excellent service provided.

We look forward to see you again and provide you with an even better experience.

We wish you a merry christmas!!

nova scotia
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Just got back from a week with my son (22) at Solymar. The hotel is in a great loction if you like to go into town. You can walk to Cala 62 for night life in a few min. The beach is wide and roomy with lots of room and plenty of chairs for everyone. The pool bar has great snacks for a light lunch and the beach house will feed and give you drinks till 6 am. Pretty good dico in the sister hotel within staggering distance.The place is set up pretty good. There was a good mix of people from around the world here. easy to make friends and layed back enough to be alone if you like. The rooms are normal for Cuba, I really like comfort, so the and pillows are never good enough for me lol . We stayed in the bunglows, nice and clean with decent bathrooms. Nice little deck off each one. staff were very good here like most places in Cuba. Food was good and lots to choice from. Lots of cook to order food if you prefer that as well. There isnt anything to complain about at this hotel. Great place for the younger crowd too.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view stay in the main building up high.
1 Thank chevyns
Dear Guest,

I am writing to you regarding your recent stay at our hotel, first thank you very much for letting us know about your experience in our hotel in order to improve our service.

Reviews like this is the fuel we need to keep on working and provide the best service to our guest. Thank you for your beautiful comment about our resort.

It will be a pleasure to have you here again among us.

Kinds regards,

Unity, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We spent December 7-15 in Barcelo solymar. It was better than we expected! The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. We had water leaking from our ceiling the day we arrived. Maintenance promptly fixed it. But we weren't jerks about it either! The rooms are big and clean. Cleaned daily. They leave your fridge stocked with beer, sprite and bottled water They do not have facecloths there so I would suggest you take your own if you like using them! We had a pool and ocean view (room 1124) it was awesome. Our room was noisy during the afternoon and evening till about 11 and then the bar closes and everyone moves downtown. I would suggest that you becareful when exchanging your currency at the hotel. We felt that we came out on the losing end more often than not. Ask for a receipt! The beaches are fantastically amazing! Picture perfect! Tons of beach space so we never found it crowded. The food was average. I have never stayed in a resort before so I have nothing to compare it to. We are not a fussy crew by any means. We always found enough to fill ourselves. The buffet serves alot of fish cooked in a variety of ways. Always has beans and rice available and some salads. Chicken and pork grilled to your liking as well as seafood grilled while you wait. Pasta chef will build your pasta to your liking. Dessert tables are always over flowing!
The hotel is at the beginning of the "strip" so it only takes a few minute to walk to downtown varadero to the markets. We were never once worried about our safety off resort while in Cuba. Most everyone is super friendly, love to try to get you to buy their wares. Its alot of fun! Its nice to know a few spanish words but you can get your needs across in English.
We went on the jeep safari excursion through Sunwing.. Martha was our guide and we had a blast. That tour is well worth the money. It was a day jampacked with activities.
Overall, I can honestly say I did not fall in love with Cuba, but the resort was great and I would recommend this resort for first timers to cuba!

Room Tip: We had rooms 1124 and 1118 They had balconies overlooking the pool and the ocean. They were good r...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Heather H
DearFriend,

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas with all Trip Advisor Readers.

We are pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Ottawa
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I was traveling with my husband who is disabled and my two kids from Dec 4th to the 11th. We worked with an agent because we needed a place that would be the perfect vacation spot dealing with mobility issues. We were told the best hotel would be another NEW hotel at the end of the peninsula. What a mistake, needless to say, we insisted on being moved to another hotel and this is where we were sent.

After dealing with so many issues with the airlines, then the hotel....I didn't know what to expect but anything would have been better at this point. Well I can tell you, we could not have been happier. It was perfect!

This hotel is situated on the edge of town. You can walk to markets, the clinic, the church....you can walk to club 62 where there is great music and dancing on the street.

Our room was overlooking the pool area and the ocean on the 3rd floor. The room itself was large and clean. I would say, if you don't intent to stay up past 10:00, this is NOT the room for you. Entertainment in Cuban hotels are extremely loud and the show starts at 10 and goes until 11:00. Ask for a room facing the street if you have small children or you plan on going to bed early.

The staff were wonderful, especially at the front desk. This will have been my 5th time to Varadero and I have never experienced good service at the front desk until now. The girls were always friendly and always ready to help.

The bartenders were also great, especially the girls at the lobby bar. This bar makes the best drinks.

The beach is perfect. I have read that there is no bad part of the beach, well I can tell you they are wrong...at the end of the peninsula, the beach is terrible but at this area, it is perfect.

Every morning, Ivan would have 4 loungers ready and cleaned for our family. Because my husband wears leg braces and can not walk well, Ivan would find us a place closest to the walkway. He never expected anything in return but was always ready to help us.

There was a lifeguard (I can't remember his name, but he was young and thin) he helped me get my husband into the ocean a few times which we appreciated so much.

The food was what we expected. No surprises. We were able to find something eatable each day. There is a pasta bar and of course there is ice cream :)

I gave gifts to the kitchen staff and I was so touched that one of the servers at the meat station gave me a bracelet his wife made for me. I tell you, the Cuban people are such wonderful people.

Seven years ago, I stayed at Barcelo Solymar and loved it. This hotel is connected with the Barcelo Solymar so you can enjoy the amenities of both hotels. I spoke with the manager at the B.Solymar about possibly booking at this hotel next year because they have 4 rooms which are wheelchair accessible and he wrote out his personal cell number and told me to call him when we plan on coming and he will work everything out for us. I was very impressed. I checked out one of those rooms and sure enough, it has everything someone in a wheelchair would need.

Really, the only negative I have to say was about our maid.
Right off the bat, she was too eager to show me pictures of her kids and grandchild. I always have lots of stuff to hand out, especially medical stuff such as Tylenol, polysporin, thermometers ect....and I also leave $$. The service we received back was minimal at best. Our bed was made and that was about it. We never had clean towels the whole week we were there and one day we had NO TOWELS AT ALL The same for my daughter and son's room..they didn't even get toilet paperl!!! The biggest disappointment was a missing pair of very expensive sandals I had for my son. He has problems with his feet and so we get the best. They went missing out of the room and nothing was done.

There is a bank outside this hotel...best place to exchange your money.
Besides having a terrible maid, we had a wonderful week at this hotel. I will be back.

Room Tip: Facing the pool, expect to hear loud music from entertainment area.
2 Thank cindy_solomino
Dear Guest,

I am writing in reference to your recent stay in our hotel, I would like to thank you for yours kind comments about our services.

I would like to take advantage of this opportunity to send you warm greetings and hope to see you soon among us.

Juan Márqués
Timmins
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Just returned from Cuba 1 week at Barcelo Solymar the staff at this resort is exceptional and to say the least Miguel the manager of this resort is a great guy you can tell from his staff that everyone enjoy his company , thank you Miguel for everything you did for us again this year , we met some awesome people again had a blast for a full week of relaxation , party , local clubs second year staying at the Barcelo Solymar won't be the last made new friends looking forward to next year same date same place ,Cuba is different if you are looking for McDonalds i suggest you stay home open your mind enjoy life ,explore free yourselves from your everyday work and my friends i leave you with this ............

Room Tip: ask for a room with beach view and enjoy
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank filled
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for the time that you have invested in sharing your experience during your stay in our hotel, we are glad to know that you endorsed our property highly.

We are also pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by enjoyable food in our restaurants and our evening entertainment.

DIrector General
geelong
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in November. After reading all the reviews which were not good we still decided to stay there. The rooms were nice, we upgraded to an ocean view for $10CUC per person per night which was worth it. The room was alot nicer and clean. The room was large. Food was pretty average. The Italian restaurant had really nice pizza so definitely recommend that over the buffet. The lunch buffet was ok, however the Hamburgers at the restaurant close to the beach was nicer to eat then eating at the buffet. beach was beautiful. Hotel attracted a younger crowd which is what we were after.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
BarceloSmAb, Director General at Barcelo Solymar, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear emma2196,