“Back to basics.............”

Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“Back to basics.............”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Just a heads up on Villa Cuba. The location is marvelous. Close to town walking or taking a taxi or any other mode of transport. This hotel is really for those who want to lay back and relax.
The beach is the best here. The main pool is clean and refreshing. Some Villa's on the resort have swimming pools for those who stay in the villa's all are maintained daily. The grounds of Villa Cuba are gorgeous with tropical plants and tree's in every state of bloom. The gardeners are happy to discuss their charges and will even snip a piece off for transplant at home.
( yes I know not legal but we all do it ! ) The food is bland to most, but why not carry a small care
packet with you with the things you like, garlic, chili's, and ketchup. There is always something available. The staff of Villa Cuba is what has us going back. From the Doorman, Bellboys, reception desk ( who only hear complaints as they do here ) dining room staff everyone responds to a good morning. The rooms are bright and airy in all mode of rooms. The new
social activity group are wonderful, the shows in the evenings are interesting and fun for all.
This is not a fancy hotel which you can certainly enjoy and pay for this is a come as you are
laid back relaxing hotel. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a relaxing laidback
trip.
Going back in September and know exactly what to expect and enjoy.

Room Tip: Elevators can be dicey if you have walking problems I would advise hotel rooms on the 3rd or 4th flo...
5 Thank sylvia19722014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2014

There are a lot of advantages and disadvantages to this resort. It is very close to town which is it's biggest advantage. One day I walked to town and it only took about 30 min. The night entertainment at the resort isn't good so you need to go to the nightclubs off resort if you want to party and they are very fun. The staff will tell you which club to go to throughout the day and they organize the cabs there. It generally only costs $1 to get to the club because everyone pitches in for the cab. The food isn't bad but there is a restaurant across the street which is really good. Food is really good in Cuba... when you eat off resort. The pool has a weird smell but I didn't go to Cuba to swim in a pool I went for the ocean and the beaches were gorgeous. The rooms are a little outdated and I didn't have hot water for showers which was pretty annoying. It is a good hotel for the price but if you have high expectations it may not be the resort for you

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Jessica D
Toronto
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Don't do it! The service is horrible and staff are miserable...food was as expected...horibble...rooms yuck....beach gorgeous...There are some things I am willing to overlook but this place has too many negatives, keep looking elsewhere, there are nicer for the same price - I have been!

3 Thank VJaneToronto
Ailin S, Director Comercial at Be Live Experience Varadero, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thanks for take your time to share with experience with us, we feel a lot you has not enjoyed your stay in our Hotel and for the future we will be working in those aspects that were not of your pleasure, and we hope next time you enjoy stay here.

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Reviewed May 6, 2014

I have been to Cuba 4 times now... Lets be honest you don't go to Cuba for the food!
We went on a girls vacation and I will say this hotel was close to the clubs and shopping. During the day we took the double decker bus and toured around.
The staff was a bit miserable, don't get me wrong there was some real great people there but for the majority of the time people seemed inconvenienced to answer your questions.
The hotel is huge, there are a ton of stairs and the elevators were slow.
The food... YUK. Get to the al la carte before 10 am or you will not get a reservation (we didn't get one) I heard the food was better there.
The beach was amazing! I am not much of a pool person but I did enjoy the pools.
The entertainment was meh. Loved the coffee bar.
Our room was infested with ants, they sprayed but the ants came back, or never left.
I was eaten alive by mosquitos (my friends were not) so I would suggest tea tree oil or bug spray of some sort.
Would I go back to this hotel? Prob not... Simply because I like to check out different places each time!
One suggestion for the hotel, get a bar on the beach!

Room Tip: Maybe try the villas by the beach?
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Me and Friend travel to cuba departuring jan.18-25, 2014. From YYZ-VRA CanJet airlines T3 early morning about 3.5 hrs flight. We know what to expect from cuba we been here before and different provinces of cuba. We arrived at the varadero airport just realized my hard case luggage been damaged. I reported to my rep right away while I was there at the airport with pictures and copy of the report from the Cuban authorities. Then straight to the bank airport to exchance my Canadian dollars to Cuban tourist pesos.(Remember there's 2 currency just make sure you got the tourists currencies pesos NOT the local currency which is you cant use it unless your Cuban) and better rate exchange than at the resorts. The bus drove us about 30 mins. to our resorts. As soon we arrived at the hotels damned I never seen this line up so big before and people are very upset due to short staffs I guessed or something else. To check-in it took us about almost 2 hrs.& were very exhausted with hungry. Got into our room nice place ocean views, king size bed, big washroom, separate toilet European style décor can't complaint about my room clean everyday with new towels, free safety box, AC running well mini fridge, flat 32 inch Lcd tv. Main concern :1 bottle of water for a week not good and you must refill your own. Buffet restaurant pretty much almost everyday are same food . You must BRING your own HOTSAUCE or KETCHUP they're always run out & sometimes they steal. Ala carte 3x per week they're ok can't complaint. The beach always awesome but you must bring your own bubba jug too far away from the beach and sometimes they run out of ice, Beach towels pls. do not lost it otherwise you will be paying 15 pesos. There's a bank close to the hotels about 3 mins walk make sure bring your passport if you wan to exchange your money. If you want to rent mopped just in front of the hotels & you must bring your license about 18 pesos for 24hrs.and you must refill the gas tank about 3 pesos to fill up. The gas station it's about 3 mins away from the hotels. No animacion/intertainer by the beach and sometimes they run out of beach chairs better go early. There's no 24 hrs. bars only snack bars. After midnight no more drinks unless you go to the night clubs just walking distance except pirate cave(Pirata cueva) Its open only Mondays. International night clubs just around the corner of barcelo solymar the best time to go is sunday. This hotels is more older people and if you are a party animal and looking for something better go somewhere else and research. There's a night club in this resorts but always empty and free drinks. Security always onsite, the front desk specially yanieska I believed thats her name lo si en to Iforgot all their names and they're very helpful. Well spoken English. Its a lot of stairwells and during at night they have different show. Snack bars ham & cheese, hotdogs,burgers and make sure they're all well done. They have Villas with small swimming pool but I don't think they clean the swimming pool I never seen anyone to clean while I was there. They have a nice bar area upstairs and over looking the whole varaderos. If you are animals lover lots of kitten or cats. I will recommend this to the people who want to relax or chill and I will go back again soon when the price is right. This place is close to night clubs, bars, restaurant, etc. just walking distance. Just make sure you got the ocean views and it's worth it. Electricity I charge my S4 and its good no problem at all I was worried before. Varadero always safe days and nights you have nothing top worry but you cant bring any local person inside your resorts. Good luck and have fun with safe. Before you go better research and ask...People main concern is FOODS and some rooms. Be open mind, Cuban people are very polite and professionalism down to earth and very respectable. Night clubs entrance fees 10 pesos, beers 2 pesos coronas 3 pesos, red bull 3 pesos.

Room Tip: Make sure get the ocean views , Fill up your mini fridge of bottle water or anything. Ex change your...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jose G
London, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2014

As far as service goes, there are a few gems here at villa Cuba, but the general vibe coming from the staff here is that they are not happy. Other than the morning staff at the pool bar and George at the coffee bar, the staff is pretty miserable here.
Do you like laying on the beach? Well, you won't get to do that here. Not unless you're up before 5 am to claim one of the very few huts the beach provides for the hundreds of guests they have.
Enjoy laying poolside? Nope. Not unless you are there before 10 am to claim a chair.
I have been to Cuba several times and have never before received such an unwelcome feeling. Staying at villa Cuba gives one the wrong impression of how truly gracious and friendly Cuban people really are.
My suggestion is to stay at a smaller resort, or at least one that is able to provide the necessities to enjoy the main attractions.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank jennifer w
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Buffet food is ok, but a la carte restaurant are really good. Specially the asian one.

I went to Varadero with 13 friends. It was a great trip, but honestly, I'm wouldn't go there with my girlfriend for a romantic trip.

It's a place to have fun, there's a couple of animations and we went there for the price. It was cheap for Cuba in January.

Oh and, there's a lot of stairs in that hotel, prepare yourself for a good walk if you travel there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends