Yes indeed. Better know what to expect. I read the reviews here and I didn't! In Europe, we are used to a certain degree of luxury, you may not find in Cuba. And that was my first impression. But, once I got over it, I noticed that everything and everybody was determined to make me feel great in Cuba. Overall, services were good. People, stop complaining about food! At least our experience (5 friends traveling in a group) it was up to the standards: I think there were 50 dishes you could choose from daily and they would change every day. Pool bar was always open and that was a convenience when you has to take a breakfast at 6 o'clock in the morning before leaving with the tours. Tours were great, and I encourage you to take Cayo Blanco, Habana (overnight stay!!), and Jeep Safari to explore some country site. The tours were great and almost every tour guides knew 5-6 languages well enough that they can chat, and they were well informed and prepared. Going back to the hotel, for us the main attraction was the beach; clean, wide, guarded, not crowded, good sand quality. In contrast the sea water was murky, and hot (30 degrees Celsius), but in a nice way. You should expect a clean bottom sea, and a gentle descend of the sea floor. Sunbeds and umbrellas were free and available, we had no problem finding available spots in the mid day as you would in most European resorts.
The pool was ok and the entertainment fun. The choices you have most evening are to say in the resort and enjoy some band singing. If you have kids there are evening shows at the Theater that they might enjoy.
For what it's worth, the A/C was functioning well and it was efficient. Rooms were clean, and the people were friendly. Some of my friends, they got upset that bar and beach beverages were served in plastic cups, instead of the usual glass.
In the end, as a general remark, maybe not so much related to this resort, but as a general advise, you should connect more with the Cuban culture. You may know it or not, but this is what you are looking for.
I am not planning to return, as there so many other places to see, but should I return this resort is high on my list. Do I recommend it? Yes, definitely!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All inclusive resort ideal for families, with a dedicated children's area, a marvelous tranquil beach, full of activities for all ages. Honeymooners also get special treatment in a quiet special area. Tennis courts, gym, non motorized water sports, drinks, a la carte and buffet dining included. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Melia Peninsula Varadero reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tryp Peninsula Varadero Hotel Varadero
- Tryp Peninsula Cuba
- Peninsula Varadero
- Tryp Varadero
- Varadero Peninsula
- Tryp Peninsula Varadero Cuba
- Tryp Peninsula Hotel Varadero Beach
- Varadero Beach Tryp Peninsula