“Lovely spot.”

Ranked #33 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
Cayuga, Canada
“Lovely spot.”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with a friend 1 week March 2013. Beautiful grounds, spacious room, free safe, friendly staff for the most part although some staff in the lobby store might benefit from some customer service training. Food was very good and there were lots of option. Wait staff in buffet restaurant were excellent. Room maid always left us charming towel sculptures. You get what u pay for and this resort was a cut above other resorts I have visited in Cuba. Lots of well stocked bars and snack options. Beautiful lobby. Didn't try any of the specialty restaurants so unable to comment. Beach, what can I say, spectacular. Security presence on the beach made us feel very safe. Lovely pool, pool bar, snack bar, afternoon aerobics class, salsa lessons and games to keep guests entertained. Very pleasant experience.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Marion B
MPV_General_Manager, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, August 23, 2016
First of all, greetings from Melia Varadero Peninsula.
We regret the fact that you never has come a response from management. We would like to come back to share with his family Melia Peninsula.
Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were clean, the grounds were very well- kept. Mostly, though, the staff was fantastic. Very friendly and helpful. I was worried about the food as a vegetarian but there were tons of options. People complain about the food in Cuba, and yes, it's different. They don't use tons of salt or spices. But there's salt on the table and hot sauce available if you need it. Another good thing: there are lots of families. We heard from people at other resorts that there were a lot of loud young people partying at the hotels where they were staying. That wasn't an issue here. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tiffany M
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We visited the Melia Peninsula Veradero March 14-21 with my parents (2 seniors), daughter 11, husband and I. Overall we had a great vacation and came via air Transat vacations.

Check-In

Check in went smoothly. We came in late so our room was ready immediately. We'd requested ground floor rooms very close to each other as my father has mobility issues. We were told they weren't guaranteed because our booking was close to the departure date. All of our requests were honoured and we appreciated very much that no further changes had to be dealt with. We were in block 29, close to the beach and pool and loved the location.

Orientation

This was informative and important to attend especially if it's your first time in that area.

Rooms

Rooms were spacious and more than adequate. Rooms were a little musty but it quickly disappeared once the airconditioning ran for a while. We had a room with three beds as we had triple occupancy and still plenty of room. I can see that rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor had better views but I did like the convenience of the ground floor and of course was essential for my father as he was in a wheel chair for almost everything. The beds were getting a little worn putting it mildly.

Grounds

The grounds were spotless and absolutely beautiful and well maintained.

Layout

The layout of the hotel is very very spread out. There's lots of walking. This was a problem for some people but others enjoyed the walk in the beautiful gardens and the good concrete paths were easy to walk on. I didn't mind the walk at all and neither did the rest of my family. I could see it as a problem if you have mobility issues and you don't have the necessary aids for walking ie. Wheel chair.

Beach

Beach was gorgeous. The hotel was filled to capacity and there were usually plenty of lounge chairs. The only thing was that you had to be at the beach by 7:45 to order your shade. There were very attentive attendants on the beach to place your lounge chaises under the papillas. It would be nice if there were more papillas on the beach. Maybe one more row. One day was too windy to be on the beach. The hotel is behind trees and shrubbery and therefore the beach isn't really visible from the hotel, but it does block a lot of wind on windy days. We had one very windy day and the difference was incredible and had a pool day that day.

Veradero

We also took one day and went on the double decker bus for 5cuc to Veradero. We also had a horse and buggy ride and really enjoyed that as well. Taking the bus was super easy.

Staff

The staff was okay and generally friendly. Sometimes we tipped and sometimes we didn't. We found we had good service either way. Sometimes we found that we thought we had a certain server and before we knew it we didn't see them anymore and sometime later have another one. Sometimes left us confused as to who we should tip.

Bar

We liked the lobby bar best. They served the best drinks and had decent capucinos and always looked very professional. We had mojitos and pina coladas the most. Most staff already knew what we wanted. Didn't care for the beach bar and pool bar was a little better. Tiny cups, a little bigger than dixie cups. Too funny sometimes. The availability of straws were a hit and miss. I really wanted them for my drinks.

Yes the food. Not that great but we came expecting it, there was always something to eat. I think I ate spagetti most of the week and that was actually pretty good because they actually cook it in a pan in front of you and it was hot. The fish was decent as well. Usually I recognized the dinner before in the lunch the next day. I didn't really care as long as it was properly stored. No-one I know got sick so......My daughter had a lot of crepes and pasta. For breakfast we ate mainly omelets and they were fine. The biggest complaint really is that I think when the resort is filled to capacity there should be more staff at the hotplates and grills because at times, or almost all the time, the line ups for the stations were way too long. I sometimes spent so long in a line up that some of my family was finished eating. It wasn't the cooks fault, they work as fast as they can, especially the young man cooking the omeletts. The deserts, like the cakes, were fantastic. I was a little concerned about cross contamination at the meat station, since the same cooking utensil was used for cooked and raw chicken, pork and beef without cleaning between use. I didn't eat anything from that station for that reason.

We had two a la carte dinners and we're so glad we didn't miss them. We went to the french restaurant which was great. We loved the ambiance of that restaurant. Great service and very well appointed. The biggest complaint we heard about this restaurant was that there wasn't enough food but this was very much focussed on quality and not quantity. We all ordered the steak and potato and had crepe suzette for desert. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

The second a la carte we chose was the Japanese and that was great as well. Very entertaining chef and totally delicious food. We were all thrilled that we chose that restaurant as well. No complaints, only praise.

I often wished that there was more outside seating at the main buffet. Very often we couldn't find seating outside. There was always plenty of seating inside. It's a nice enough buffet restaurant but it gets way too hot in there and I think that there should be a way to open the windows or some other form of ventillation.

Entertainment

There were daytime activities. On the beach in the morning, like beach volleyball, dance lessons, aqua size etc. We didn't participate in them but they were there to be enjoyed by whomever wanted to participate. We somehow seemed to miss it all the time. In the afternoon there were pool activities. My daughter enjoyed the animal show there but for the most part we were at the beach during those activities. The animation staff didn't really interact much as I'd seen in other resorts. The night time shows we totally didn't like. The started late, 9:45, and they were all the same in the long run. We usually love to attend the night shows but really these all seemed to blend into the next one with the dancers and didn't look forward to them after the first three nights.

Currency exchange

That's probably the most deplorable. I know that this is seperate from the resort but this woman who is in that currency (bank) exchange booth in the lobby, is one slow piece of work. I know this is Cuba time but this is NO excuse. At all times there's a long line of people waiting to get on with their holidays to exchange their money and this is almost their only option. We were told we could exchange our money in town but you need money to get there first. I almost lost a whole morning waiting in line to get 60 pesos. Then she spends 1/2 hour on the phone for a personal call (another guest in front of me who understood spanish told me that). Then after me standing in line for 1.5 hours, yes that's right with only 15 people in front of me she tried to close her curtain so she could go for her one hour lunch. NO WAY...I insisted I get my 60 pesos. I got them but the lady behind me had yet to wait another hour and had to wait 2.5 hours to get her money. That's a lot of frustration and wasted vacation time.

Check out

Was smooth. We were able to stay in our rooms an extra 4 hours for 7 pesos an hour as the bus came to pick us up at 7pm for the airport. We were very happy we were able to do this.

Overall we had a great vacation. Decent rooms, gorgeous grounds, edible buffet, great a la carte, nice drinks what more could you want. I would recommend the Melia Peninsula to others especially those who want a relaxing vacation. It's a good place for the money especially.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 29 close to the pool and the beach. I would be happy in any of the blocks 18 or...
2 Thank jostrid
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

From England for 11 night March 2013 standard room with The Holiday Place, London
Greeted with champagne at check in and us and luggage driven to nice room by food and drink manager.
Spacious room, only one beer a day in mini bar despite making request for more.
Pretty hotel, gardens and beach especially so. Sauna and gym pretty small and basic but 1/2 hour massage £20
Biggest disappointment was beach bars were just huts that shut about 4pm
Staff were pleasant, especially on the buffet terrace. Inside the buffet was too hot for me. Food is about 4 star but the 24 hour pizza/ burger bar is just what we needed if you like to stay up late. Find a barman you like and give a tip and you won't go far wrong. If you don't want to watch the shows there are bands and piano players every night.
Saw big queues at the hotel bank and the excursions seemed expensive, I'd get a quote for a taxi and do what u want, we did. All day taxi for £100 took us out as far as Santa Clara.
There's hop on,hop off open top tourist bus for £3.50 a person a day that stops at most hotels on the strip or its £10 one way taxi into Varadeo where there's a long strip of craft markets and fairly typical cuban down market cafe/ restaurants.
If you can find the Viazul bus station, it's about 2 hours into Havana.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank huntergraym
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We have spent one fabulous week in Varadero between 6th and 13th March at the Melia Peninsula, thanks to Virgin Holidays. The room was very nice and clean. The hotel was top class and the food excellent (4 thematic restaurants + one large buffet restaurant). The staff was always very nice and smilling. The Head of Food (Raul) was excellent.
Definitely, a very good choice.
Well done.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Raphael M
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Montreal departure family of 4 for the week of March 10-17, booked with Tripcentral.ca $4065.00 taxes in. $79.00 to park at PET.

Despite the March break crowds both Air transat and customs processed us very quickly. We arrived before noon but our room wasn't ready until after 4pm. I bought $450.00 pesos, it cost me $485.00 Canadian.

Our room was very simple and somewhat clean, there was a bunk bed for the kids so they were happy. There's been some reviews about the beds being hard, mine was the opposite. I must have had the honeymoon bed because it was sunk in the middle. The safe is finicky and always took several tries to get it open.

Ah! The ongoing debate about the food. We are pretty picky eaters and so are our children so we were pretty worried going in. The most common complaint about Cuba is the food, I have to agree.

The food overall is pretty bland, our kids mostly ate pizza,fries,ice cream and piña coladas all week which was fine for them.

I think one of the biggest problems I have with their food is the preparation, the buffet had a meat frying station where raw meat is sitting under heat lamps until it's cooked on the fryer, I hope it' s well done to kill all the bacteria growing on it in the heat.

Also only 1 toaster, so after waiting in line for 15 minutes to get your omelette (which was very good) you would have to wait another 15 minutes to get toast. I just didn't bother with toast any more.

Also at the pool snack bar I noticed that they were pre-cooking burgers and storing them in the bottom drawer of the fryer, this drawer is not refrigerated and usually not closed completely;immediately to the right of this open drawer is small garbage can pretty much the same height of the open drawer, I could see that the garbage can was attracting flies. Needless to say I didn't eat any of the burgers.

The Mexican restaurant was ok, the food was cold and my wife found that her rice had a sandy- crunchy texture to it, I didn't think it was sand but similar. The Italian was ok I had spaghetti with Gorgonzola sauce, the noodles were done to perfection but the sauce was very bland. The live guitars, violin and singer was a nice touch. The best meal of our stay was at the Japanese restaurant the food was tasty and the show was fun as well.

We enjoyed the beach but found it to be very windy, is it always this windy in Varadero? I also really wish that people would use the garbage cans that are provided. There's nothing worse than seeing empty cups tumble weeding along the beach, along with empty wrappers and cigarette butts everywhere.

The main pool was good, always something going on, music, activities or shows. Beware the water is very cold, not a big deal as long as it's warm outside. At the pool snack bar one of the guy's working was named 'Goody' he kind of looks like a little Tony Soprano he did a great job getting everyone's orders filled. He worked extremely hard all day and then we seen him working the lobby bar at night. Amazing guy.

Also there is ice cream at the pool snack bar-orange pineapple was our favourite.

Mini disco for the kids was great, our kids loved going every night- chow chow Mickey Mouse!

Lobby bar has the best drinks, cappuccinos' and Spanish coffee.

Here's my take- if tourism is going remain Cuba's main source of income for their economy they really need to work on their standards and variety for food otherwise they will not be able to compete with Mexico, Florida and Dominican Republic.

As far as this resort is concerned it was ok, but if they work on a couple thing like some of the maintenance issues and the food they can improve.

We got away from the cold and snow for a week so we were happy, but we will probably not return to Cuba.

Room Tip: Kids under 6 ride for free on the double decker Varadero bus.
1 Thank Brigitte H
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We just returned home today and stayed over March break. Hotel was older and in some disrepair than our previous experience over the New Year at El Patriarca. Very clean except for my daughter's bed that had small ants roaming about. Once we told our maid, a lovely girl, about this issue she changed the bedding immediately. We thought our rooms would be a large suite, but once again, the closet and drawer space is very limited. People are very accomodating, but we found our stay at El Patriarca to be much warmer and friendlier. Never enough chaise lounges pool side and not enough shade. No umbrellas except for palapas at the beach. The management should accomodate for the number of occupants by seeing that lounge chairs are provided. Food was generally OK. Let's say we didn't starve. My husband mentioned that they ran out of bacon on a few occasions and it wasn't replenished. My daughter is a vegetarian and the a la carte restaurants truly tried to accomodate her. We booked a day trip to Havana through Transat and I have to warn you. The second stop is pretty needless. It's at the Parliament square which is currently undergoing a refurbishment. My advice...DON"T leave the bus. Everyone swarms you and asks for money. BEWARE of the young fellows drawing caricatures of you. When asked upfront they will say it's a gift to you, but before you know it they ask you to take a picture of them (with your camera) and it costs 5 CUC each. If you look at their ID badge in tiny print in the corner is a "5". So for my daughter and myself it was 10 pesos we didn't plan on spending. They laugh it off and say that they work for the government and it goes towards the "restoration" fund for the parliament buildings. I'm sorry. I don't mind giving pesos/gifts to the hotel staff and people in the street who need it, but I don't like being tricked into donating to government agendas. When we arrived at the historical site of Havana, a must see for all of the heritage, we would have had more to give to people had this not previously happened. The mimes in the streets were amazing as well as the beautiful Sacred Heart cathedral...a must see!
The local amusement park in Veradero was fun and we took the double decker bus (5 CUCS per person) to get there which is a must do. You can use your pass all day. Cuba is wonderful and we will return, but not to this particular hotel. We will either return to El Patriarca (Priviledge suites) or stay at Paridisus next time around.
If you go, just use your smarts....we will from now on. Live and Learn!

Room Tip: We were told upon check in that there weren't any larger rooms. We were on the ground floor in...
2 Thank GMac057