“great place for great price”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Peninsula Varadero
Ranked #31 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed March 18, 2013

no complaints about the hotel/service/staff or food! the only negative feedback is that the beach is not powder soft, more mix of broken shells and also when we booked we should have paid attention to where varadero is located on cuba as this area is windy and therefore the beach has lots of waves and it is not super hot! if you are looking for shallow clear water with powder soft beach this is not the place....but it is large and lots of space for everyone as a plus.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank eliza k
MPV_General_Manager, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2016

First of all, greetings from Melia Varadero Peninsula.
We regret the fact that you never has come a response from management. We would like to come back to share with his family Melia Peninsula.
Best regards

Write a ReviewReviews (4,731)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Have just returned home after a fantastic ten days at the Melia Peninsula Hotel and I have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. Before setting off for Cuba wpe like many other first time visitors consulted Trip Advisor. There were quite a few less than flattering reviews of this particular hotel which tended to fill us with a little trepidation before we left home however upon our return I can only say those feelings were unwarranted. The hotel layout is spacious as are the rooms, the gardens are beautifully kept, the beach is fabulous and the food is very very good. I was lying on the beach one day when a rather large shore stroller happened along and remarked to a guy near me that he had stayed at the Peninsula previously and "the food wasn't that good". I felt like interrupting his conversation and telling him to go take a look now....he'd be presently surprised! Like any hotel of it's age there are a few scruffy bits that need tidying up but nothing major. Apart from location it's greatest resource is it's staff who are excellent. In particular I would mention the manager Raul and Entertainment supremo Pablo, also our Virgin rep Silvio who each delivered "exactly what it said on the tin". All the waiters and service staff in the restaurants and bars are a credit to their country's tourist industry. Polite, friendly and efficient.. This was our first time fully inclusive and believe me it was no hardship for a pair of perennial self caterers. It is probably the best way to do Cuba although I would recommend spending at least one night in Havana at the end of your holiday. What an amazing city. I half expected to bump into Humphrey Bogart or Al Pacino round every corner. See Cuba before it changes. The country is a living breathing history book.
Mervyn & Lynn Jess - N.Ireland

Room Tip: If you are a beach person rather than a pool person ask for a room near the Laguna restaurant.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Mervyn J

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We are urban family with two kids (11 and 13) from Toronto. We have been travelling all around the world from most luxurious to B&B kind of accommodations and resorts. So fare, we consider Melia Peninsula Varadero as our “family cottage” for every time of year and every occasion.
If you like family type of relaxed holiday, that is for you. From time to time we really do like to repeat our trip to Cuba and it is always Melia Peninsula (former Trip Peninsula ).

Check in and General: There is procedure with filling the forms, etc. but many resorts such as Beeches, Turks and Caicos are the same. It takes all together half an hour from the time you arrive to the moment you enter the room. Shuttle bus is always included in a price with refreshments and some helpful information for first time comers. If you need medical help for the kids it is available through the hotel (even antibiotics if needed).

Rooms: We usually stay in Family Junior Suites on the ground level. Ground is very well maintained with lots of lawns and space, so kids are always outside. Place is extremely safe so we were many times at the same type of room since kids were age of two. Room are spacious and you can get any kind of beds for the kids from bunk beds to rolling beds for the kids. Rooms are with the fridge and safe deposit. Usually complementary bottle or rum is present. Shortly, whatever you need, you can get.

Food: Food is very “normal” regarding to variety and style of cooking. If you are looking form American style of fast food, you will not get it. If you are looking for fresh catch of the day, good poultry (mainly organic from local farmers), good barbeque, some Mexican and Italian food, than you are on the good place. Plenty of pastries, fruits, many times freshly squeezed juices, local cheeses, bread, and also very generous amount. If you need something for the kids you will definitely get it. Drinks are OK at the beach and very good at the bar in main lobby. You can also get fresh espresso any time of the day at the place close to the lobby. Small tips for good stuff and service is always welcome.

Pools: We do not use very much pool except at the end of the day kids pool. Kids pool is great kids/adults pool with great baby safe entrance made as lagoon. Main pool we usually visit during the special show time they usually have as a form of synchronized swimming (they are excellent).
Beach: Beach is extremely safe and long with plenty of chairs. Stuff is always helpful to find you chair if you need. Paradise for the kids. We usually take a walk all along the beach to the Paradisus resort and back. Catamaran is always great experience, as well as snorkeling tours or deep see fishing. Restaurant at the beach for us is something that we like the most, so convenient, outside meals with the plenty of nice landscape around. Next door is Cuban Cabin (nice to see or take salsa lessons, playing local instruments or making figures of the palm leaves).

Ground: Landscape is paradise for the kids, elderly, disabled and couples for short or long walk. You can play tennis or ground chess. Something for everyone. Be prepared to see millions stars on the sky. Amassing every time we visit Cuba.

Entertainment: Shows are on very high level (despite with limited sources of costume and other equipment) with excellent talented dancers and singers. Lobby area is usually spot for nice piano performance or salsa and jazz players, singers and dancers. Many time spontaneous participation of performers and guests. Stage is separated little bit of the accommodation, so you are safe of noise and maddens if you need privacy.

Excursions: We have never done any of excursions (we did them many time at the other places), except of course Havana (many times). Do your own arrangement you will not regret it. Havana has been change a lot last 10 years (many nice places to dine, spots to see, local artist and paintings to buy, and of course nice music).

All in all, always good experience.

8  Thank Sonja M

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great experience, we loved the restaurants (Raguna, Leondola) and the layout of the property. An advice if you want your room cleaned, don't leave your safe in the room open because they are not allowed to enter in, if you forget to close it.
For the most part it was nice, the only thing bothered me is the gap between the door and the floor. It's easy for living creatures to get inside. We only had one incidence regarding this issue, not a big deal since we knew it was not related to the room not being clean, but rather the gap under the door.

Room Tip: 2111 located not fat from the pool and close enough to get a morning coffe or drinks anytime, witho...
1  Thank Ohlovethebeach

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I went in February with Family. for some reason my review never made it. so I am writing my experience again.

we were about 12 people in Total. Some that travel every year and for others this is the first time they travel. My wife and I travel once and sometimes twice every year. we have a 3 year old son and a 1 year old daughter. my 3 year old have been to Jamaica, Mexico, cruise, Florida and other places with no problems at all. now my experience begins.

I traveled to Cuba 8 years ago and promised I would never go back but because we were a large group and budget was an issue i had to accept it. Let me tell you I went with very low expectations hoping i won't get disappointed, with that when I got there I was counting the days to leave.

We arrive at the hotel and the first impression is holy crap this is old. Like really bad to the eyes old. bad first impression but nothing we can do about that. We arrived at the hotel at 1pm and check in is at 4pm. that is fine they took our luggage and put it in this room that is suppose to be locked but yet all you have to do is push the door open (very secure). they gave us our bracelet and went walking around. ordered some drinks and they were nasty. these bar tenders don't know how to mix drinks if they had a book in front of them. you would think they should at least know how to make "mojito" it is the Drink of Cuba and they can't do one if their life depended on it. but will talk more about that and the food later later.

4pm arrives and i go to get my key and thankfully my room is ready, I say that because some of my family members had to wait until 6pm to get their rooms. we go to the room. Big room. bunk beds for the kids. really outdated but we are not people that care about how a room looks like as long as it is clean and comfortable. Having said that we go to the bathroom and we have 2 bath towels. 1 of them has this big red stain on it. VISIBLE to the outside. and only 2 beach towels. called the front desk , was told that someone will bring towels shortly. We took the kids to the pool which was in front of our room. Kids were playing and having fun 30 mins later still no towels and still no luggage. I start walking around the building for the maid room asking them if they were suppose to get me towels and they said no. 45 mins pass and still no towels then we look at my son and he has this RASH all over his arms , legs and stomach. thinking it was something he ate we rushed him to the room and yep still no luggage. Run to the front desk go in the room and I find my luggage there and the workers are just outside chatting. I took my own luggage to my room to give my son benedryl. Still no towels. we washed both kids with one towel until i called again and later on we received the other towels.

Second day we go to the beach, it was a nice day we had fun. Beautiful beach. they have 2 bars but for some reason they don't both do everything. if you wanted a certain drink you had to go to one but another kind of drink the bartender will tell you to go to the other one. GO FIGURE???? on the way back to the room we stop the change the towels and this guy sitting points his finger to a paper on the window that says NO TOWELS PROBLEMS WITH LAUNDRY.
No problem I figures we are here to have fun we can change them tomorrow.

Third day we wake up and my daughter has little pimples all over her.. looks like bed bugs bites. she had a few the day before but now it was alot. not sure what it was we rubbed some polysporen on them and walked to get towels. Of Course Still no towels. I tell the guy we can't use the same towels as yesturday they are really dirty and he tells me to go and speak to front desk. So my wife takes the kids to the pool and I Speak to front desk then I speak to Customer relations and I tell her what I thought about the 5 stars they had at the entrance of the hotel. Told her about my kid with what looks to be bed bugs ... Finally she is able to find me Towels and they sent a team to my room and sprayed the room and put protection on the beds and had no problems after that. But my son got this allergy reaction all over his body again and he did not have that the day before at the beach. for some reason my son is allergic to something in the pool. not only my son but also my brother had the same reaction. not sure what kind of Chlorine they use but let's just say we did not go to the pool again.

the problems go on My niece who is 2 got Gastro, my daughter had an eye infection they both had to go see the doctor who is really busy in that resort. when we went his assistant told us he can not see you now he has a few reports to write and to come back in one hour. we met a couple there on their honeymoon also with Gastro.

we had some bad weather after that and we did not do much so I will tell you a little about

Entertainment: for the kids is AWFUL. No effort or imagination. same 2 dances every night and same game. my son was bored out of his mind on the 3rd day. kept on sayin he wants to go to Mexico where he had so much fun at the mini disco. the adult entertainment was not bad.

Food. It is CUBA and food is bad there. we know that. but it makes it really bad when you see the same thing in the buffet for 7 days. but I guess you can always have pasta and fish. A la carte was just as bad. Japanese actually was one of the Best. French was the worse with people getting sick and throwing up later that night. I was ok but my wife was not. I guess it depends on what you ordered. it is like roulette how lucky do you feel.

Drinks. the worst I have ever experienced. there is a shortage of blenders. Iasked once for a Daiquiri and it was a mix with ICE CUBES in it. ICE CUBES... if your the person who likes to get drunk and not care about what you drink you might enjoy something like that. I personally like to enjoy my drinks. the drinks were so bad that one day I think I had one drink all day. the only place where you can get a decent pina colada is actually at the lobby bar.

We had a really nice waitress though in the morning. one thing was different from my last trip I found that the people were nicer on this Resort then the Melia Las Americas.

that was my experience and I never ever want to step into Cuba or a Melia again to experience it again.

Room Tip: the higher blocks the closer to the beach you are. But it does not matter what you ask for in advanc...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank alfred f

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My mother and I arrived at the Melia at 4pm on a Tuesday, booked for one week. We ended up with a hotel room that was on the first floor, although we had requested a higher up one. Apparently, the resort was booked solid - and we didn't mind the change at all. A friend had been given a higher up one, and could not walk up the stairs. She was switched without a problem. Our bathtub plug did not work, although we didn't complain about it. I'm sure they would have fixed it if we had.

The food at the resort was what you'd expect for most of Cuba. Not great, but nothing bad either. The banana crepes were PHENOMENAL as always. The line up was long (I suggest more grills and cooks) but totally worth the wait. We had Italian and Mexican for our A la Carte choices. The Italian restaurant had great atmosphere, but the pasta wasn't very good at all. The Mexican was perfect. Wish I hadn't missed the Japanese, as it appeared from the window that everyone there was always having a blast and very pleased.

The staff was very friendly and exceptionally courteous. At first, it appears that they aren't, but once they know you a bit, they warm up. Tips help (obviously!!). We brought lots of goodies for them, from soaps, shampoos and nylons to gum and candy. Our waitress Barbara who served us breakfast and lunch was the best waitress you could ever ask for. We never waited for anything with her!!

The beach was clean and flat. March was the perfect time to go for weather. Not too hot, just a bit of a breeze. No rain the entire week. About 25 degrees celsius. The pool was COLD!!! But refreshing.

We had one excursion - to Havana. Only complaint there was the bathroom on the bus - it was flooded and rather disgusting....but other than that, the trip was good. Havana was a beautiful city to walk around in. Next time I'd probably hire a car so we had longer there.

Make sure you bring lots of sunscreen, as it was $28 at the store at the resort and in town. And an extra towel is handy, as they are gold there (for the beach, not the bathroom). Also, there are no actual face cloths (just hand towels) which is common for Cuba. Not sure why .... so curious!

Also had a massage there - which was great! Less than $50 for a 50 minute massage. Totally worth it!!
Overall, the resort was clean, safe, and charming. Not a 5 star by any means, but really - for the price, it can't really be beat!

Room Tip: We had unit 19 - which was close to the pool, the beach, the gym, and the buffet. Perfect!!!
3  Thank HeatherTo77

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is above average for Cuba, i will state that first and foremost. Food was great, the pool is very nice, and the beaches go on forever! Here are a list of pros/cons/and travel tips:

Pros:
-Rooms are large and clean, there is an easy to operate in room safe, as well as rooms have a shower and a tub
-Drinks were easy to find (bring a bug reusable cup if you like to drink lots, very rarely will you get served)
-A la carte restaurants were great, we recommend the Mexican and the Japanese ones
-Beaches were well groomed and kept clean
-No shortage of water sports at any one time
-Beach party was great (wish they held this more often, as opposed to an indoor disco)
-Lobby store was very well appointed, you could find pretty much anything you need
-Varadero tour bus runs by this hotel
-taxis (the old fashioned car ones) run about 100 USD to take you from here to anywhere in Havana

Cons-
-the facility is spread over a large area, it might be difficult for people with mobility issues to get around
-the towels MUST BE EXCHANGED AT THE GYM/SPA, we did not find that our until much later in our stay
-Service in restaurants was in general sub-par...due to the fact that most areas were so severly understaffed
-minibar in the room was almost a waste of time, only one beer in it a day, and one water....for 2 people..... not adequate at all
-there were not enough chairs on the beach. If you are not there at 8am to find a chair you will be laying on the sand.
-the buffet restaurant is always crazy busy, and breakfast stops at 10am. They do not seat you when you arrive so you always have to check if there is even a spot to sit, then someone has to sit while the other person gets food.
-food lines in the buffet are long, there are a lot of "grill stations" so it makes for longer waits
-the money exchange booth is extremely slow, and has very long lines of people. Be prepared to wait.

Tips:
-As for a room by the adult pool, it will save you some walking, and the pool is quite close to the beach as well.
-bring a cup for your drinks, there is not any drink service in most places
-be prepared to walk everywhere, things are pretty spread out
-we were able to get an extra a la carte, just try asking when you book yours
-plenty of people selling cigars on the beach...if you are interested in that you just have to ask any one of the peddlers that frequent the beaches selling their wares

Room Tip: As for a room by the adult pool, it will save you some walking, and the pool is quite close to the b...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple