“Great Experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Peninsula Varadero
Ranked #30 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hola: A most enjoyable and relaxing stay at Melia Peninsula Varadero. Staff very helpful. Spacious clean rooms. Very good buffet, multitude of choics. Fresh meat and fish grilling everyday,also omelettes, pancakes, crepes. Delicious huge selection of breads, buns and pastries. Also good cheese and cold cuts choices and fruits and vegetables. Try also a la carte at Japanese and French Restaurants. Great beach and pool area, plenty of lounges. Lovely grounds. Long wait for money exchange. Otherwise no complaints here. C.& W. Burlington, On. Can.

Room Tip: We were near pool and beach. Perfect for us.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
MPV_General_Manager, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2016

First of all, greetings from Melia Varadero Peninsula.
We regret the fact that you never has come a response from management. We would like to come back to share with his family Melia Peninsula.
Best regards

Write a ReviewReviews (4,773)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I just got back from the Melia Penisula Varadero ( used to be Tryp). This is our third time at this property and I love it every time I go. It is a mid size resort with beautiful greenery and lots of tall palms.the Melia group just took over so are just starting to make some changes to it but all seem very enthusiastic about its future. Rooms are clean and comfortable( tho beds are a little hard)There are four al a cartes and the food is great in all. Japenese and Mexican were our favs.
The beach is one of the best, long white sand and water perfect for swimming or anything you want to do. sometimes a little windy as you are on the point but don't let that stop you. guys on beach are very helpful as well.
Not a big party resort so if you are looking for that, look elsewhere. but for a quieter, special place I highly recommend it.
Would go back again!

Room Tip: NOt many rooms on beach but not far to go in the 18-28 buildings
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank beachloverhalifax

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The staff at this hotel make your holiday a truly memorable experience. From the Manager to the chambermaid, the staff are charming and cannot do enough for you. The Mexican a La Carte Restaurant deserves a special mention for the excellent food and service and the accompaniment of a three piece group consisting of a female singer a violinist and guitarist who played songs for every nationality in the restaurant making it a most enjoyable evening.

Room Tip: We had three rooms and all were to an excellent standard

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were on vacation at the Melia Peninsula last week. The beach is fantastic, our room was clean, we enjoyed the tennis court. There are many activities at this resort, such as dance lessons or spanish lessons. Many sports activities as well. As for the food, well if you expect a gourmet experience, go to Italy! The buffet has a lot of choices, the food is more than ok. But the seafood was delicious. Stick to cuban specialities. We went out of the tourist zone and the grocery stores for cubans lack so many produces, how can you expect a 5 stars meal if the country itself has difficulties getting food to their own people. I would truly suggest a visit to Havana while you are in Cuba to have a glimpse of people's everyday life.

The staff is nice. The only problem of this resort is the girl working the currency office. As you may know, you cannot change your money for cuban pesos anywhere except in Cuba. And if you try to change it at the hotel, beware this girl steals from clients. You have to count your money and remind her to give you the whole amount. She is taking between 1 and 5 pesos per person. She also decides when she opens, changing opening hours. And unfortunately she is the only person to be able to give you change in the hotel area. All the staff always expect a tip because they earn only 1 peso a day for 10 hours of work. We understood that but it would be easier for tipping if the lady at the currency office did a more efficient job. Same thing with the little boutique, they will use the same trick on clients. Be extra careful, count your money everytime, argue, and they will pretend they "forget" or made a "mistake" and you will have your money back. But only if you argue...

That being said, we had a very good vacation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mianne76

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We were guests at the Melia Peninsula Varadero resort, in Room 2325 from January 26 through February 9, 2013.

The Melia offered a relaxed vacation. We encountered only pleasantness during this stay, especially as related to the lobby staff and resort workers. The office staff responded reasonably to our e-mail requests regarding room, and checkout arrangements. We were a bit apprehensive going into the vacation. However, over the course of the visit we developed a sense of belonging that may account for the numbers of guests we encountered who are repeat visitors.

Mey, sales promoter, has a most pleasant personality when dealing with guests booking the specialty restaurants. She is both efficient and friendly, a trait not often found in our experience at various AI resorts.

Dunia was our maid for the duration. We felt very comfortable leaving our room in her care. Good job Dunia.

We enjoyed the dining experiences at the main buffet. Mainly, that was due to the waitresses (like Barbara who was very helpful and concerned about my wife's brief stomach disorder) and the waiters we encountered. We thought the food preparers at the main buffet dining room did a pretty good job given that certain fruits, vegetables, and spices, etc. are not readably available in Cuba.

The facilities are showing some wear and tear. For example, some chips missing from the lobby floor tiles. However, cleaning up after the guests was constant and effective. That helped to keep potential bird, fly, and other insect problems to a minimum.

Finally, the ground workers and maintenance staff are to be appreciated. We believe that service parts are often hard to obtain, which may account for lack of working water fountains near the 2300 block, etc. We truly believe that the resort's ground were as pleasing to the eye and camera as any Varadero resort we passed through or passed by. We were especially pleased with the effectiveness of the plumbing in our room, always quality hot water on tap. Also, the sewage system apparently worked efficiently. We sensed no sewage smell anywhere we walked on this resort.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Retired_Farmers

Reviewed February 21, 2013

My title sums up my review I`m afraid! I love Cuba, love the country, the music, the history and the people but after my latest experience at the Melia I won`t be coming back in a hurry. By no means was the hotel awful but I was disappointed is so many aspects of the resort and found it a far cry from a 4.5 star hotel. On a positive note the staff were wonderful but I have come to expect this in Cuba. What is becoming tiresome is the lack of money spent on these resorts year after year and yet they manage to retain their star rating. Taking the bus tour into town only confirms this when you witness some of the rundown hotels that somehow are still advertised as 4* - shame on the travel companies for allowing this.

This hotel needs a drastic facelift. Everything is old and dated. The childrens area is very rundown, there were screws falling out of the play structure! The food was typical for Cuba - okay if you eat from the fresh stations(omelette, pasta, stirfry etc) It still blows by mind why these hotels insist on attempting to cook food that they don`t eat themselves - why bother cooking burgers when they are overdone, no cheese, bread,no ketchup and buns :( Please!! Give us some credit and why not cook fresh fish, pulled pork with black beans and salads with tomatoes and cucumber. I have traveled thougout Cuba and ate in numerous casas - the food was fantastic. The wine and mixed drinks were also poor, I could only get a decent coffee from the Lobby (from the beach this is a long walk!) I don`t expect great wine but at least it should be drinkable!

Our room was large with comfortable beds. The bedding however was smelly, our television had no English channels (not normally an issue for me but when the weather fails you and its too cold to leave your room its nice to have an option to watch a movie or at least something!)

In the afternoons they had a wonderful Cuban band playing but I want to hear more music. The piano lady was lovely but I`m in Cuba and hearing classical piano albeit nice doesn`t quite fit the mood!

This was my 10th time in Cuba - 5th time in Varadero. The beach is lovely and the hotel grounds are beautiful and have been in every resort i have stayed at there. I do think its time Cuba started moving with the times and starting spending some of that money tourists spend in their country and put it back in to the hotels and tourist areas. I wont go to anything less than a five star in Cuba as of now - in fact I`ll probably choose to spend my money elsewhere until things start to improve a little.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sands76
TPV_General_Manager, Gerente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Dear Friend
Receive a nice regard from the Melia Península Varadero. First of all we appreciate that you have made your comments as we will work on the statements and achieve the satisfaction of our clients. Really deeply regret that we could not meet your expectations, and we can assure you that we will consider all the suggestions and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned points. We do hope, to have another opportunity in the near future, to make your holiday unforgettable.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I gave this hotel a 3 stars because the staff is friendly (even though they were pushy in wanting our clothes),management were always there and ready to listen (but did nothing with any of our requests unless we really fought for it and it went to customer relations) and because the beach is gorgeous. But other than that.... not worth the money at all. Spend an extra 100$ and go to Mexico or DR

we were 13 ppl. all different ages. from 1 year old baby to 72 year old grandpa. We had couples, singles, parents and children. All of us were disappointed ... no exception!!!

Being an avid traveler and traveling with my kids (3year and 1 year) everywhere I go, I could say that it's not a family friendly resort.

Food : below average. they only good thing for breakfast was omelette, or toast with butter. line up was always long since there's only one buffet area. Lunch and supper, grilled fish or pasta was good. Very repetitive and very bland and not much variety. ok for cuba standards.
I brought food for my kids with me so that they can eat properly. BTW: if you are traveling with children ... THEY don't have apple juice. You can however buy it from the store at 0.60CUC for a 250ml. or bring some with you. They only serve you orange juice or guava juice (sometimes pineapple).
The 24 hours snack bar service was extremely slow.... I mean 20-30 minutes wait to order a pizza, and they had french fries only 2 days of the whole week. (barely good).

A la carte that we tried : mexican was horrible, japanese average, french (4 of us got really sick that night).

Drinks: They don't know how to make mixed drinks, they don't have blenders (except lobby bar), so don't expect good margaritas or daquiris, stick with pina coladas and cuba libre. cappuccinos were good

Pools : average... (however my 3 year old and my brother in law, both had an allergic reaction to the pool, my 3 year old swam in the kids pool the first day and both his legs were swollen red, the next day was spent at the beach and he was fine, the 3rd day he swam in the kids pool, his legs were all swollen again. ... thank god I brought Benadryl. ... and we didn't take them to the pool again. (btw, he's been to jamaica, florida, mexico, on a cruise, st-maarten, st-thomas and never had a reaction.)

Beach: very nice however very far from the room we had (block 11). We had to walk what seems endless when you have 2 kids and have to carry a whole lot of toys and towels and stuff.
bars at the beach : 2 of them, one opened 11-4 and didn't have much selection and the other was a bit of a walk. So needless to say, we didn't enjoy much of the drinks.

Cleanliness : rooms are old and smelly. big and spacious however. When we entered our room the first time, one of the "clean" towels hanging had a red spot on it the size of a toonie (very visible). disgusting. the thick blanket in the closet had dirt marks on it too. So we asked to change them.

the grounds were acceptably clean.

For 2 days they had issues with the laundry and no fresh towels were provided.

lots of mosquitoes.. (bring repellent and after bite)

Another issue : my 1 year old was running around the lobby on the day we arrived and she fell in the pond (situated right in the middle of the lobby, with no fence). She didn't injure herself, but she got an eye infection from that water. The infection didn't go away after 2 days without us seeing the doctor and he gave us antibiotic drops. We told the customer relations of what happened and we said that the pond is not safe and should be fenced or put something around. I know it's the parents responsibility to keep an eye on their kids, but kids do run around. They didn't even apologize or didn't even ask if they can do anything to make it better.
We got a phone call to our room to see if she was better.

Kids show : SAME EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!!! our kids were bored out of their minds. No effort put into it. (compare to shows at other all inclusives).

Rum: as example the 7 year old Havana Club : at the resort 16.90CUC ... at the duty free 21.90cuc ... if you go to another shop at the airport, rest next to the duty free it's 19.90CUC
there's a coffee shop in the middle of the departure area that will sell it for 13 CUC
So really.... no fixed price, so you gotta shop

True the weather was horrible for 3 days, but the staff tried to keep everyone entertained in the lobby.

exchanging money at the lobby : expect long lines.

trip to varadero on a double decker was good, however it was a good 30 min ride with the stops along the way. Negotiate prices of any souvenirs you want to get. They will even exchange items for souvenirs. (Makeup products, hygiene products, clothing).

Bring all the medication that you can think of.... you might need it. Gravol, immodium, tums, benadryl, tylenol, antibacterial hand wash,

we had 2 cases of severe Gastro ... (a 2 year old and 24 year old).

overall, will never go back and won't recommend it.

Room Tip: not worth the upgrade.
1  Thank suntan_girl

Dear friend,

Receive a greeting from Melia Península Varadero. We review all comments and really felt sorry that you had that perception of the hotel services. During that time we present difficulties with the laundry service, which was perceived by customers and also the weather was not favorable. We can assure you that we have taken into account all your comments and suggestions to work on continuous improvement in customer satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, we hope we have that pleasure.