“Never Again..”

Ranked #32 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Golden, Canada
“Never Again..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Good the Bad and the Ugly...First the wind.. and rain 3 days of it.. then when we could finally enjoy the beach with the cigarette butts and littered plastic drink glasses and smokers galore we couldn't use the paddle boats till the last two days of our trip.
Sorry I had to work too hard to try to enjoy this Vacation.. and it just didn't cut it. Food not only was it the same at every meal breakfast lunch and Dinner.. only 2 a la cart included to change up the monotony . Even though I am a chef Im not really picky but unsafe food preparation and presentation of food on the buffet with the half rotten displays of fruit to decorate the buffets really turned me off. I could really say I could choose only 4 or 5 items (mostly cured meat or pickled) to eat the whole time i was there to be safe and not get sick. When you are cooking raw pork and chicken and beef on a grill leaving it out on the hot counter on uncovered plates and using the same utensils for the raw as the cooked and serving is totally unsafe. Everything appeared not fresh and tasted the same way. They had raw bacon daily. Everything looked dirty and greasy as well.. Drinks were good at the lobby bar and the grounds were immaculate Service was spotty TV's had only one english channel CNN and sounded like a helicopter. NO WIFI and NO internet worth using .. if you need to establish contact back home forget about it in CUBA unless money means nothing to you.. Took one tour to Havana $59.. you had to bring your own water and toilet paper ended up on a bus for most of the Day. with a Toilet that didn't flush.. nice eh. Tour guide didn't hesitate to ask for tips.. and actually stated if we liked the tour we should give $10 dollars he took us to two parking lots told us to get out and walk around. The restaurant we had our lunch at was ok with the exception the the sick cat covered in feces begging for attention in the restaurant at our table and the dog that was covered in sores as well inside the restaurant..The tour guide took us to a hotel and told us it would be rude not to order a mojito while he sat there for at least 30 minutes chatting up some other tour guide took us to a cigar and rum store that was so small only half the tour could fit in a little too close for comfort for sure. Lastly we finally arrived at old town Havana took us on a walk gave us 23 minutes to shop and ended up waiting another half another at another bar (our meeting place) while he downed a couple of pina colada's nice life he has. Airtransat staff at the hotel were not very good at all. I was certainly expecting better for the star rating of this hotel. I surely enjoyed my airtransat trip to the Royal Decameron in Mexico over Cuba. I personally would never go back to Cuba again. People say this is Cuba. Well I have traveled in Nepal and Thailand and other remote area's they are trying to put lipstick on a pig.. Cuba could be so much more.. if they just cleaned up the beach trained the chefs.. and if the tour companies took a lesson from Vallarta Adventures.. the whole experienced soured me and I will not chance it again...One thing I can say is I did feel safe good job too since anyone can open your patio door as my children didn't have to use there room key the whole time we were there . Oh we did use the spa.. very interesting massage never had one like that.. don't go if you are shy was it relaxing?.. It was different ... you be the judge.. yikes..Enjoyed the Italian a la cart and the French was nice too half the atmosphere of the italian though. had a wonderful bottle of wine it was Spanish and cost 15 cuc worth the upgrade. I would suggest to the resort rake the beach have the chairs on the beach set up in the morning not someone out there getting you one making you feel you have to tip him. have tables with ash trays have someone cleaning up the drink glasses or have more garbage cans around so hopefully people will use them. Make more a distinction between your buffets perhaps some french toast or pancakes in the morning.. keep hot food hot change up your veggies...you have lots of citrus use it to flavor up your food.. how about having a ittalian night or cuban night or french night on your buffet and lastly give at least 5 optional al a cart nights out of 7 they did that in Mexico and I paid $300 a person less for that trip.. it was rated only 4 stars.. To Airtransat.. Dominique your rep there said no questions till the end of her presentation then left before letting anyone ask any didn't talk about the resorts facilities.. was not approachable.. then again if I was stuck working in cuba I might be the same way..

Room Tip: Don't stay on the bottom floor rooms smell bad and patio's door don't lock
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank JoyMichelle67
TPV_General_Manager, Gerente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
First of all received greetings from Meliá Península Varadero. We really surprised that you had that opinion of the hotel, because we have no reference that you has had these situations during your stay in . We feel sorry you had had that perception of the hotel, as it is unusual these comments without having evidence during the stay of customers.
Regarding to the inconvenience of the wind, is a punctual change of weather. We have transmitted to the Cheff your points of views about of the food, in order to take action and improve this. However, we expect that you give us a second chance to show our services.

Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Prince Albert, SK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

We just returned from a week at the Melia Peninsula resort. We had visited this resort a few years ago, when it was under different management. We found it great both times! The grounds are lovely, and the architechture designed to replicate an "older" Varadero resort. Last year we visited a more "modest" Varadero resort, and we will not scimp again. The "extra star" was well worth the investment. Our room was clean, the restuarants were fine, and the beach was great! But, we love Cuba for the people- they are wonderful and accommodating. Unless your expectations are unbelievably high, you will find this resort exceeds all your requirements. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the convenience of the ground floor room, and Unit 21 was situated "centrally"...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Clifford C
MPV_General_Manager, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, August 23, 2016
First of all, greetings from Melia Varadero Peninsula.
We regret the fact that you never has come a response from management. We would like to come back to share with his family Melia Peninsula.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed the week of Jan.31st-Feb.7th. The only complaint is the incompetence with Air Transits Tour reps, absolutely ridiculous. Miss. Dominik,, was beyond stupid with her replies to us regarding trying to get info on Cuba or a map, unacceptable, P.S. It will be my duty for future to get as high up at her company to inform them of this, she does not deserve her job. I loved the coffee bar it was awesome. Buffet was okay, Most staff were really nice. I was a tad disappointed in the room but warmed up to it very quickly. The beach was splendid at this resort, easy access and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dhana p
the moon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Had a few great days here in january, the service was overall good with or without tipping! Quite different from what i have gotten accustomed to in Cuba .

The bar made ok drinks and had (for cuba) a good selection of different types of beverages. Also satisfied with the number of bars during the day and night time. Never had to stand a long time in a queue to get a drink, which is good considering that the resort had many guests.

The main buffet usually had a acceptable variety of good food. The laguna buffet seemed to serve the same type of food every day and had problems with birds eating from the paella.
Snack bar was good with a wide selection.
I only tried the japanese ala carte and it was great, some of the best food i have had in cuba along with a good show.Highly recommend it for its good food and entertainment!

The shows were good but a bit short, i felt that overall the resort had less activities and interactions from the entertainment staff (at least during the day) than other resorts i have visited.

The resort itself was nice looking with the outdoor area in the main buffet and the bar being the best place to take a drink or eat. The lobby was also very nice looking. Some areas around the health club could use some renovating (like the non existing minigolf) and the sauna didn't seem to function properly.

The regular swimming pool didn't impress me too much and it was very cold. When we came there in the afternoon there were usually no sunbeds left. The kids pool seemed great for kids though.
The beach in varadero is of course very beautiful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank TravisTouchdown
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was our first visit to Cuba and we chose to stay at the Melia Peninsula Varadero resort. I must say that the entire experience was excellent. We booked through Transat Vacations and they are very organized. The resort is beautiful, and the beach was amazing!! Soft sand, no coral or rocks in the ocean to cut your feet on. The staff were always greeting us with a smile and the service was great everywhere we went. We ate most times at the buffet restaurant but also booked suppers at the Japanese, Mexican and Cuban restaurants (all of which I highly recommend). We had heard negative comments about the food being bland and quite honestly had no issues with our meals the entire time we were there. Service at the numerous bars and the lounge were always excellent. The best people at the resort are: the waitress in lounge always brought me Havana Specials (sadly no name but I did take her picture) was one of my favourite people to talk to, our housekeeping staff and Luis with his paper roses! Downside was that the drinks on the beach were in small glasses so I recommend bringing a large travel mug for more generous sized refills.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leanne C
Prince Albert, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Like most Canadians, I've heard the grumbles and the naysays about Cuba - hard beds, bad food, not a five star experience, etc, etc. But after my first ever week in the country, at the Melia Peninsula Varadero, I must say I completely disagree. I had high hopes for this trip, as Cuba's always been on my list, and even still, the experience exceeded my expectations.
I found everyone, from the moment we got off the plane, till the minute we boarded to return home, warm and welcoming and very genuine, and that absolutely included all staff at the hotel. No matter where or when you encountered them, they were always friendly, and did everything they could to ensure everyone was having a great holiday.
The grounds are very nice here, and the gardens are meticulously maintained. The rooms are large, with sitting area, spacious closet and bathroom, and terrace or balcony (a bit of wear was showing, but everything was clean and well taken care of). Some third floor rooms have great views over the resort. The public areas are great, with a lively central lobby area, great pool bar, and an AMAZING beach (upon which you can walk in either direction for miles).
The food was very good, and much better than I expected it to be. There wasn't a ton of variety in the buffet, but it was always well prepared, and by all accounts, all four a la carte restaurants got rave reviews (we loved the Japanese and French).
The whole experience was definitely unique to Cuba, which has it's own way of being, but that's what sets it apart from other destinations. This hotel, as well, did its best to set itself apart, and I'll happily recommend this to others, and am considering coming back as well!

Room Tip: Top floor of building 23 is great; it's centrally located and has great views of the property.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
17 Thank Skiwithjill
Campbellford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

We (6) of us just returned from a week at Melia Resort I would like to express how wonderful the staff were during our stay including David, Carlos around the pool and Arelys ,Judith, Noel and Alareas (spelling?) sorry to those I did not include. The food was good none of us were hungry ever. Our cleaning staff was tremendous absolutely wonderful. Gardeners were pleasant and gave us flowers. The beach here is WONDERFUL ! Thank you from your friends on the Crowe in Ontario. :)

Room Tip: All seem good no beach views only three stores so not many stairs.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends