“okay”

Melia Peninsula Varadero
Ranked #31 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed the week of Jan.31st-Feb.7th. The only complaint is the incompetence with Air Transits Tour reps, absolutely ridiculous. Miss. Dominik,, was beyond stupid with her replies to us regarding trying to get info on Cuba or a map, unacceptable, P.S. It will be my duty for future to get as high up at her company to inform them of this, she does not deserve her job. I loved the coffee bar it was awesome. Buffet was okay, Most staff were really nice. I was a tad disappointed in the room but warmed up to it very quickly. The beach was splendid at this resort, easy access and comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dhana p
MPV_General_Manager, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2016

First of all, greetings from Melia Varadero Peninsula.
We regret the fact that you never has come a response from management. We would like to come back to share with his family Melia Peninsula.

There are newer reviews for Melia Peninsula Varadero

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Had a few great days here in january, the service was overall good with or without tipping! Quite different from what i have gotten accustomed to in Cuba .

The bar made ok drinks and had (for cuba) a good selection of different types of beverages. Also satisfied with the number of bars during the day and night time. Never had to stand a long time in a queue to get a drink, which is good considering that the resort had many guests.

The main buffet usually had a acceptable variety of good food. The laguna buffet seemed to serve the same type of food every day and had problems with birds eating from the paella.
Snack bar was good with a wide selection.
I only tried the japanese ala carte and it was great, some of the best food i have had in cuba along with a good show.Highly recommend it for its good food and entertainment!

The shows were good but a bit short, i felt that overall the resort had less activities and interactions from the entertainment staff (at least during the day) than other resorts i have visited.

The resort itself was nice looking with the outdoor area in the main buffet and the bar being the best place to take a drink or eat. The lobby was also very nice looking. Some areas around the health club could use some renovating (like the non existing minigolf) and the sauna didn't seem to function properly.

The regular swimming pool didn't impress me too much and it was very cold. When we came there in the afternoon there were usually no sunbeds left. The kids pool seemed great for kids though.
The beach in varadero is of course very beautiful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank TravisTouchdown

Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was our first visit to Cuba and we chose to stay at the Melia Peninsula Varadero resort. I must say that the entire experience was excellent. We booked through Transat Vacations and they are very organized. The resort is beautiful, and the beach was amazing!! Soft sand, no coral or rocks in the ocean to cut your feet on. The staff were always greeting us with a smile and the service was great everywhere we went. We ate most times at the buffet restaurant but also booked suppers at the Japanese, Mexican and Cuban restaurants (all of which I highly recommend). We had heard negative comments about the food being bland and quite honestly had no issues with our meals the entire time we were there. Service at the numerous bars and the lounge were always excellent. The best people at the resort are: the waitress in lounge always brought me Havana Specials (sadly no name but I did take her picture) was one of my favourite people to talk to, our housekeeping staff and Luis with his paper roses! Downside was that the drinks on the beach were in small glasses so I recommend bringing a large travel mug for more generous sized refills.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leanne C

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Like most Canadians, I've heard the grumbles and the naysays about Cuba - hard beds, bad food, not a five star experience, etc, etc. But after my first ever week in the country, at the Melia Peninsula Varadero, I must say I completely disagree. I had high hopes for this trip, as Cuba's always been on my list, and even still, the experience exceeded my expectations.
I found everyone, from the moment we got off the plane, till the minute we boarded to return home, warm and welcoming and very genuine, and that absolutely included all staff at the hotel. No matter where or when you encountered them, they were always friendly, and did everything they could to ensure everyone was having a great holiday.
The grounds are very nice here, and the gardens are meticulously maintained. The rooms are large, with sitting area, spacious closet and bathroom, and terrace or balcony (a bit of wear was showing, but everything was clean and well taken care of). Some third floor rooms have great views over the resort. The public areas are great, with a lively central lobby area, great pool bar, and an AMAZING beach (upon which you can walk in either direction for miles).
The food was very good, and much better than I expected it to be. There wasn't a ton of variety in the buffet, but it was always well prepared, and by all accounts, all four a la carte restaurants got rave reviews (we loved the Japanese and French).
The whole experience was definitely unique to Cuba, which has it's own way of being, but that's what sets it apart from other destinations. This hotel, as well, did its best to set itself apart, and I'll happily recommend this to others, and am considering coming back as well!

Room Tip: Top floor of building 23 is great; it's centrally located and has great views of the property.
17  Thank Skiwithjill

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We (6) of us just returned from a week at Melia Resort I would like to express how wonderful the staff were during our stay including David, Carlos around the pool and Arelys ,Judith, Noel and Alareas (spelling?) sorry to those I did not include. The food was good none of us were hungry ever. Our cleaning staff was tremendous absolutely wonderful. Gardeners were pleasant and gave us flowers. The beach here is WONDERFUL ! Thank you from your friends on the Crowe in Ontario. :)

Room Tip: All seem good no beach views only three stores so not many stairs.
19  Thank Dianne C

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I don't know where to even begin. I will try to say it all, but it is too much to even describe in words. First off, we got married here. Deneb our wedding coordinator was so amazing. She made our dream wedding come true. We cannot say enough about how much we appreciate the work she put into making our wedding day everything we wanted and more. I took a picture to the hairdresser and she made my hair look exactly how I wanted it. Flowers were a beautiful tropical arrangement. I am not sure if you wanted specific colors for flowers if you could get them, but I didn't have a color theme. Not one thing went wrong for our wedding. Thank-you so much Deneb. Our rooms were very clean and we were well taken care of by our maid Yunisala. If we needed anything, we called reception and it was taken care of. A few people in our group found bugs in their room but big deal. I found a lizard in my room in Mexico. People find bugs in their homes all the time and don't freak out. Only one English channel with poor reception, but oh well, we certainly did not come there to watch TV. As for the food....we are picky eaters at home...why would it be different there. We definitely didn't starve. We always found something to eat. The less picky eaters in our group enjoyed a wide variety of the foods available in the buffet. For those who have commented about the need to tip servers for good service....we tip waitresses in the bars/restaurants at home, so why wouldn't we tip the servers here. I have paid for way worse service in Canada, so we tipped our servers, not to get special service, but to thank them for the service they were providing us. As for other comments made by others about rude servers...we did come across the odd one, but for the most part, they were all great. We try to justify poor service in our local restaurants by thinking the server is having a bad day, or there is some issues in the kitchen. No different here. No one is perfect and everyone was trying their best to make sure all the guests were happy and having a good time. Please have an open mind and just go there to have fun and meet some wonderful staff. Don't try to find every little imperfection and pick it apart. Go here to relax and maybe when it's busy you might have to get off your butt and go to the bar and order a drink. That's what we have to do in our favorite local establishments when the servers are busy. We were in this beautiful resort while it was freezing and snowing a ton back home. What is there to complain about? The servers we got to know best were Yo Yo, Villa and Iris in the pool bar at night. We loved our crispy cheese pizza! Jaunito in the buffet at night and Elaine, Elizabeth and Fanny in the buffet during the day. We cannot say enough about the great time we had here and can't wait to return next year!

Room Tip: Higher number rooms are more central. 17 and up. Lower numbers are by kids pool. The real high numbe...
24  Thank pamela_k76
TPV_General_Manager, General Manager at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Receive a nice regard from Melia Peninsula, thank you so much for your review, it is very important for us. It is a pleasure that you enjoyed your time in Our Resort. I will make sure to pass on your comments to our staff. We have taken your suggestion into consideration and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned services.
If you decide to visit us in the future, will be a great pleasure. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This property is right on gorgeous Varadero Beach. It is rated as 4.5 stars[?????] and has just been taken over by the Melia chain from Tryp. The buildings and rooms need some TLC. There was evidence of work being done while we were there. Rooms are all very large junior suites. I LOVED the large walk-in closets. Always hot water for a shower and bath amenities were nice. If you are a facecloth user bring some from home. Towels were very nice. Beds comfortable.

Furniture in room had seen better days. Was looking worn out and run down. Rooms were hit and miss on some amenities. I did not have the CD player as promised. Did have a coffee maker but no coffee supplies. Mid week the entire unit disappeared...? My balcony door had no lock - thank god I was on the 3rd floor. My 'maid' service for the week was fabulous. My parents was very inconsistent. On 2 occasions they had to make several calls to the front desk to get toilet paper, kleenex and fresh towels. They and other guests on ground floor rooms complained of cockroaches. Patio furniture was non -exsistent, I had none. Or if people had it it was in bad condition. Rusted, busted and very uncomfortable looking.

The beach area had nice well maintained beach chairs for guest and a well staffed beach bar. Unfortunately, we had a cool spell so the beach activities were only available for one of the days we were there. Pool area looked well maintained. Lots of activities available.

Food was okay. Buffet got a little monotonous. Service was always excellent. Especially if you sat in the same section and tipped your server. All service people now expect tips. The Mexican a la carte was so-so. But all three of us really enjoyed le Bistro. Also, heard excellent things about the Japanese restaurant. Food at pool bar was inconsistent as well. I had an excellent pizza there one day and the next it was barely edible. My Dad and I had burgers one day for lunch mine was fine and within hours he was sick and remained sick for over 24 hours....

Go for the beach and location. Don't have high expectations for the rooms. It will be interesting what Melia will do to turn it around?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family