“Good family resort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Prince Albert, Canada
“Good family resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just returned from a one week stay at this resort. It was a great set up as it was t a huge resort so it was a nice stroll to all points on the resort. The food was good but the buffet never changed and after a week it got pretty boring. Most of the cooks were good but be sure to check that your food is fully cooked as we found that several times, the meat was still quite raw, including the pork and chicken. So please make sure you check. The shows started quite late at night and if your with kids this would be a serious issue. This is definetly not a party resort so if you looking for night life this is not the place for you. What keeps me coming back to Cuba is not the quality of the resorts because as we all know, a 5 star in Cuba is the same as a 3 star in Mexico, but the service you receive is second to none. The people are absolutely FANTASTIC and you could not ask for a friendlier place to be than Cuba. Over all the resort was nice. I would go back to this resort but mainly because of the staff, not the resort.

• Stayed January 2013
16 Thank bgoode11
MPV_General_Manager, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, August 23, 2016
First of all, greetings from Melia Varadero Peninsula.
We regret the fact that you never has come a response from management. We would like to come back to share with his family Melia Peninsula.
Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We just got back from an amazing family holiday! Our kids (5 year old twins) had a blast at the mini-club. The children pool and activities area were the best we have seen so far in all our trips to Cuba. The grounds are like a botanical garden and the beach is great too! The food was good. Given that Cuba has have limited access to produce they do a good job with what they have. We did try the a la carte restaurants and our favourite was definitely the Japanese. The chef put on a great show and the meal was excellent!
Our room was clean - well maintained and a good size for the 4 of us. The staff were all very friendly and helpful! We are already thinking about coming back again next year!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank OttawaNicki
Pickering, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

The resort is groom and kept very nice. The rooms are nice, spacious and very clean. Our maid Mercedes was amazing. So nice and helpful.
Grounds - Excellent - well groomed and mature landscaping.
Food - good for Cuba. We found everything that was made in front of you, breakfast grill, BBQ, pasta station, pool bar, etc. was great. Everything else on buffets ok and but repetitive.
Restaurant were all good except we did not enjoy the French one but others at the resort did.
Bars - Drinks were all good. Beer was nice and cold. Bartenders were all fantastic except one guy at the beach bar that was too cool for his station in life. Good choice of brands.
Beach - very nice. No complaints. Lots of chairs and huts. The resort was full and we didn't have to go early to get a good location and enough chairs for the 7 of us. The beaches seem to be better the closer you get to the town of Veradero.
Public bathrooms - hit and miss for cleanliness. They need to have staff stationed at public washrooms all the time. I kept my beach towel with me because there was seldom paper towels.
Nightlife - no nightlife and dead after 11 but we made our own fun. Very family oriented resort.
Animation staff - they were there but unlike other resorts we didn't meet any of them. We have always made friends with animation staff at other resorts. They are just not involved.
Pools are all nice, clean, nice swim up bar but with such a nice beach and the blue blue ocean we didnt spend much time here in the daytime. We did have some nice nighttime swims.
Even with the resort full at Christmas time it didn't seem busy because it's big and there was never any real waits in lines. I would recommend this resort and we have been to many. I would also suggest having lunch and when open, breakfast at the beach buffet instead of the main. It so nice here. We call it Shady Grove. Happy travels.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the buildings 20 - 26. The higher the building number the closer you are to the bea...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank cseeney
TPV_General_Manager, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive a nice regard from Meliá Península Varadero. We appreciate your feedback concerning your stay. We are glad to hear you have enjoyed your vacation and we will consider your suggestions in order to improve our service. If you decide to visit us in the future, will be a great pleasure. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,
General Manager.
Beaconsfield, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

The only aspect that I believe they could improve on is the decoration and furnishings of the rooms. These aspects could be updated. But, if that doesn't matter that much to you, the rest of the resort is beautiful: the grounds, pools, ocean, beach, and the activities (for children and adults) were fun. The variety of food is also much better than I had expected. The Cubans were so warm, welcoming, and tried tirelessly to make sure that my 13 year old daughter and I were happy. We had a lovely time. We were both very sad to leave and are eager to return again one day. I recommend this resort without hesitation. If you go: enjoy!

Room Tip: If you like a lot of action, choose a room close to the pool or to the theatre. If you prefer more p...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank louisevalin
TPV_General_Manager, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Friend,
First of all receive a greeting from Meliá Península Varadero. It is a pleasure for us to stay in our hotel has been satisfactory and has left such good memories in you. You should know that our main goal is to exceed the expectations of customers who visit us.
We have taken your comments into consideration and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned points. However, if you decide, to visit us again in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed with my husband and another couple from Dec 30th - Jan 6th. I went in expecting the food to be terrible (as I had heard from others), but overall it wasn't bad. We ended up with 4 a la carte reservations which was excellent. I would however, not recommend the mexican one, it is no Lone Star!!

Here are some of the pro's and con's of our trip:

Pro's:
New years eve was fantastic, great dinner and great party
We watched one show which was excellent - be prepared to see a lot of thongs
Great staff - especially the bartenders!!
Good variety of food choices at each meal
Amazing beach - the water was excellent every day
Free paddle boats
Clean rooms
Japanese a la carte was amazing
A lot of activities to do each day
There is a guy who will set up your chairs for you on the beach
Bar right on the beach
There are guys who will cut fresh coconuts for you to drink out of - they are warm but delicious
We took a taxi into Varadero one day, make sure you stop at the pina colada stand on the way home, they are the best!
Hardly any bugs

Con's:
3 out of the 4 of us got sick
When you order water from the restaurants or bars, it is just filtered tap water in a bottle not bottled water
The maid claimed that our friends stole the blankets from their room, and were very confrontational about it
Our friends did not have any beach towels in their room when we arrived, and we had no soaps in ours
You only get one bottle of water in your room and one can of beer each day, you can of course get as much beer as you want at the bar, but more bottled water would have been nice
When we asked for more water in our room it was a struggle to get it
If you go to Varadero be prepared for children to beg you for peso's and hold your purse close

Overall it was excellent, I would go again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Deanna C
TPV_General_Manager, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Friend,

On behalf of the staff and management at Meliá Península Varadero we would like to thank you for your review. Priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services in order to obtain our guest satisfaction. We have taken all your comments and suggestion into consideration and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned points.
If you decide, to visit us again in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will receive you as our VIP guest.

Best regard
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was there for the week following Christmas, which is the busiest time. The hotel was completely full.

We booked it when it was TRYP, it is now a Melia chain. I overheard one of the staff talking to someone about this changeover. Basically, Melia is a 5 star name, TRYP is 4. The hotel will change star ratings, the prices will go up, but nothing will change. Someone else asked a doormen how the change to Melia affected his day to day.. he said nothing has changed. We payed 1000$ per person all in from Ottawa.

Otherwise...

1) Bottom line is this place is great for Cuba. Overall, everything is good, and on average you'll probably have a good experience, with some hiccups, but I think you should expect those anywhere in Cuba.

2) They put on a big NYE show which was very nice. We got a call in the afternoon of the 31st asking if everything was good with our room. I'm not sure if this was a call everyone got or a follow up to our request for water.

3) You get 1 bottle (1.5L) of water per room for day. I thought this was odd considering the occupancy is based on 2 persons per room. Likewise for "coke", you get 2, but then you only get 1 can of beer in your fridge. We did score a few extra beers when we were in the room during the water/beer delivery. We asked for extra water a few times, and we did get it. However, our last night, we ran out (got sick), I called once before dinner (6PM), again at 10PM when we returned, and never got any water. I had to walk to the hotel bar to ask for water. He said there was no water, walk to the pool snack bar to get some. In the end we got water but it was a trip (walking from one end to the other can take around 10 minutes). This was probably our "worst" experience.

4) Some staff are friendly, some are not. Cheerful : front desk, waiters inside the main food court, Vladmir at the pool bar, a la carte waiters. Neutral : snack bar, waiters outside food court, bartenders main hotel bar. Grumpy : waiters in hotel bar.

5) We found tipping in the hotel, in general, to be useless, except at the pool bar. This is probably a good thing, as at a "5 star" resort you should not have to tip to get service.

6) Our friends got hit up for missing fleece blankets during checkout, so add that to the list including pool towels, make sure they are in the room when you check in, and if not, report them. They didn't have to pay, we just refused to give in after getting a guilt trip that "the maid will have to pay for them".

7) Beach felt very safe and secure at all times, security guards (resort AND general police) patrolling.

8) Food was typical buffet fair. Pretty long lines for the grills/omelettes, but nothing unbearable. They will serve you water at meals but they just refill the bottle from the tap, this is throughout the resort. To back this up : My wife asked for a bottle at one spot and was told "I only have one". I also brought an empty bottle to the beach bar asked for another and was given one where the seal wasn't there. I saw a waitress come out with a "fresh" bottle and watched her open it, she didn't struggle at all, and I heard none of the "click click click" of the plastic ripping.

9) We got some diarrhea. We were trying to figure out what food/dish it was based on what we ate... the water makes more sense.

10) There was live music most nights in the main bar.. live music at lunch sometimes at the beach resto.

11) We took a private taxi to Havana for the day, 140CUC for 4 people. We spoke to the front desk, they arranged a taxi, I spoke with the driver the day before to negotiate a price, and was picked up the next day.

12) We asked the front desk for soap which was missing from out bathroom, it was delivered and we also got shower gel as well.

13) The waiters in the hotel bar seem overworked, and we gave up quickly with them, and just waited in line at the bar.

14) The Tuc shop in the hotel wasn't THAT overpriced.

Bottom line, it's Cuba, not North America. I've tried to include both positive and negative aspects of the hotel. If we went again, I would very likely end up at this same resort. I'd bring peanut butter (again), a pillow, a water purifier and a nalgene to minimize risks. (You'll never be able to avoid the water issue completely).

Room Tip: http://goo.gl/maps/2J6PT Rooms are arranged in small 3 floor villas. Room numbers are XXYY, XX is...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank enkoopa
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and it is a pleasure that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure to pass on your comments to our staff . We hope you are feeling much better from your stomach problems, and we always recommend our guest to contact our Medical Center at the hotel in order to help you.
We have taken your suggestion into consideration and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned services. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, we hope we have that pleasure.
Saskatoon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Melia Peninsula from Dec 27 to Jan 2 - Overall our experience was good. We had done some research and e-mailed ahead to ask for a king bed as well as one of 3 blocks. They quickly responded to the e-mail stating they would try to accomodate us. When we arrived we didn't have a king bed or any of the blocks we requested. We were in block 13, by the kids pool, but facing the other direction. I tried to change rooms the next day, but they still didn't have anything, not even a king bed. We decided to accept our room and the location, instead of letting it bother us. It turned out good. Our maid, Eleidys was great - the best towel art in our 4 visits to Veradero - she even left us little notes and a little gift at the end of our stay.
We did three tours, which we booked through our transat rep - Havana day tour, Jeep safari tour, and the Catamaran tour - they were all very good. We took the Veradero beach tour bus to town 1 day (5 cuc's - all day).
Our meals were good - we especially liked the Japanese ala carte. Many people complain about the food, but we could usually find something at the buffet - they always had the grills going - for breakfast we would have the omelette - pastas, grilled fish for lunch/supper. Their ice cream is delicious. They had french fries/ hot dogs at the snack bar by the adult pool - my husband said the hot dog was great.
The grounds were massive and very well manicured. The theatre had good shows each evening we went (we saw 3). The beach as always was beautiful. Overall the only real complaint is that 1 week was not long enough. We love Cuba and would definately go back to this resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple