“Xmas Vacation with the Kids”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ocean Varadero El Patriarca
Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We decided that since the kids are all in their 20's, the only way to spend time with them anymore is to have a holiday taken together - and with mom and dad paying they were more than happy to come.
This is a new resort (about 16 months old) and so everything is still shiny and new, although the beds are not very good to sleep on after a few nights. The food is typical Cuban food - not good but you can always find something to eat. I find it odd - they have all the right ingredients but cannot put it together right for some reason.
The bars were great especially our friends serving at the pool bar - just phenomenal people. That and the friends we made while playing in the pool - and of course Jenny - from entertainment, makes us want to go back again, regardless of the food.
Our kids enjoyed every bar and closed each one most nights there and we made so many friends that when we left, there were over 14 people in the lobby saying good bye and in our group photos. It was one of the most memorable vacations because of the people we met both locals and tourists.
The weather and the beach were also spectacular and never had any issues with chairs or loungers around at the pool or beach.
I know of others that have been to Cuba at other resorts, but I would recommend this place based on the great time we had.

Room Tip: Do not lose your beach towel - they are treated like gold there as we discovered when someone took m...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MotoringAround
Write a ReviewReviews (3,749)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We went at the end of february, with my mother and father in law. The four of us really enjoy our vacation. We want to specially thank those who take really good care of us at the buffet. I'm talking about Leannes (Lily), Adrianna ;-) xx,Yayi and Miguel. Nice people, great service. They make you feel like home. Always welcome you with smile, and they give you great services. We also want to thanks the second Adrianna, the one who brings back cappucino from the lobbey bar... with smile. We know you all work hard to give us good services. Thank you very much.
We also want to thank Ariel, at the beach restaurant. Always smiling, singing and ready to give want you want as fast as possible. such a nice guy!!!
Nice hotel, great people and beautiful beach.

Thank you to all of you and sorry for the others who gave us great service at the lobbey bar and at the pool... I dont know your name, but I remember your beautiful smile and face,

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Marie B
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Mikes Coffees are the best and the girls know their job plus super friendly they are the real deal....Anaixa and Karima Roxana Anysleidr.....thanks we had a great time chatting and having coffee with you girls.....

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We were a group of 12 going to Cuba Jan 19-26/2014 and stayed at the Ocean Varadero El Patriarca. The resort was very clean, great staff, only the "gourmet" restaurant was not as expected, but the Chinese restaurant was fantastic. The rooms were good and the cleaning staff exceptional and very creative with the towels and so on. You can exchange currency at the airport in Varadero, we brought a bunch of "Loonies and Twonies" but the coins cannot be deposited by the locals, just like Canadians cannot deposit coins in a US account. I recommend changing some Canadian to Pesos to be able to tip the bus driver, tour guide, and resort staff. If the locals have any Canadian coins, they will try to sell them back to you dollar for dollar, so if John has 10 loonies, he will try to sell them to Canadians for 10 Pesos because he cannot do anything with the $10 in coins, remember coins have no value, but paper pesos do. Cuba was not at all what we expected and 10 out of 12 would go back no questions about it. Varadero was very entertaining, safe, and fun. Take a tour on the city bus, sit on the upper level but watch out for the palm tree leaves.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the ocean or swimming pool will be a lot more quiet than if you are facing the poo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Robert L
Reviewed March 5, 2014

After reading many glowing reviews on this resort we were really looking forward to our holiday.
We were there from Feb 23 to March 2, 2014.
It is a very small resort, taking about ten minutes to walk around the facility.
The rooms were very nice, spacious and clean.
The beach was excellent with nice soft sand (not crushed seashells) and lots of shade.
The staff were very pleasant, but that is the case in all the resorts we have stayed at in Cuba. What separates Cuba from the Dominican is the friendly Cuban people.
The drinks were great with friendly fast service. There is a piano bar there, but hours are strange as we never saw the doors open.
One thing that was really sharp, were the giant Cactus trees. The patriarch of Cactus plants.
The food in the beach buffet and main buffet were very good, but the variety did not change very often. There were 3 "a la carte" restaurants, Italian, oriental and gourmet. The portions were child size and not very good. In other Cuban resorts a meal in the restaurants was always a treat. This was not the case here.
We took a bus trip to Havana (59 pesos) and it was great. If you have never been to Havana you are missing out on seeing something special.

Normally, the number and quality of the "a la carte" restaurants is what decides a resort's star rating. For this reason Ocean Varadero El Patriarca is not a 5* resort. A place like "Melia Las Dunas" in Cayo Santa Maria is a 5* resort and is in a completely different league for quality.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank John R
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This was our first trip to Cuba, we really enjoyed our stay at this resort. Overall we had a great time at this resort. its quiet, clean and spacious.

All the employees at the front desk were always very friendly and helpful. They did exchange CDN money there no problem.
Resort was very clean, rooms were clean and we never had an issues with bugs. We did stay on the higher floor.
It never felt too busy there were always chairs available at the pool and beach. It never felt crowded
The beach was AMAZING, clean and the water was just perfect clear and warm.

Although many people provided amazing service, on occasion we experienced moments where it took a long time to get service or if we ordered even waters they wouldn't come back with it.

Food wasn't for me… it wasn't bad they did a great job with what they have for food items. I stuck to breads and pasta station.

Mikes coffee house was had great smoothies, but the coffee wasn't very good. They also ran out of a lot of stuff the entire week they didn't have chocolate and by the end of the week they didn't have straws.

A lot of beach chairs were broken so go early to secure a spot with a good chair.

If you go into town a bus ride is 5.00 round trip a cab is 18.00 one way.

We also booked a private day trip tour to Havana through Cuban Connections… it was reasonably priced and worth it. It was the highlight of our trip, we felt safe, comfortable and were very lucky to have a private guide and driver for the day.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kelmar81
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I travelled to El Patriarca on November the 11th 2013 for seven day, I would like to start saying that I flu with Air Transat airlines in the Club Class, best extra cash spent ever ... the service was great , the flight attendants and pilots so polite and professional , they literally made you feel like royalty big thumbs up to Air Transat, arrive to Varadero around 4:30 pm, the bus take to the hotel and let me tell you, the first impression of the hotel is very nice and appealing, lobby and reception area very sharp / fancy looking, my check in process was painful, it took almost 1 hour for the front desk agent to check us in for a line of 6 people, no kidding... then when it was my turn , he just asked me for my hotel voucher without saying welcome, good evening or anything, I found that to be very disrespectful since the front staff is the first impression you get when you arrive to a hotel, after 15 min , I got my hotel keys and the room number, I had to wait another 20 min until someone took me to my room, the room itself was ok, I liked.. the bathroom area was big, they had a tub and stand shower head as well, very modern looking , as for the buffet food I gotta say that it was all right not the best that I have tried, but not the worst neither, I didn't like that the staff at this restaurant wasn't helpful at all, the drinks were ok, could have been better, totally recommend the staff at the lobby bar great peeps, and their service was really good...., the pool was nice, and the beach is stunning the best part of my trip......, I do think that the hotel has room for improvements it has been open less than 5 years and it showing a bit of run down, lots of balconies being repaired while I stayed there..., anyways I did had a good time but wouldn't return to this hotel not for the amount of money that I paid for ........ not a five star resort........

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple