“Being taken care of”

Ocean Varadero El Patriarca
Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This All Inclusive Hotel has almost about everything we expect from a 5-star Hotel. Comfortable and spacy rooms, good and plenty variaty in restaurants and buffé as well as the different bars and the coffee-shop. Polite, friendly and efficiante staff. Clean and well-maintained areas like the pool, the gym and the public spaces. Also the hotel's SPA and buity-/massage area (not included in the all-inclusive package) were very inviting, but with the somewhat stiff prices, we never used that. Finally we enjoyed the daily evening entertainment with proffesional music- and dance-groups. Overall we had a very nice and relaxing week.

Room Tip: Upper floor in the bungalows = less disturbance from the pathway that runs throug the area. Rooms aw...
4  Thank andreT138

Reviewed January 30, 2014

My Wife and I traveled with another couple January 18 - 25. their first time in Cuba our second. We had vowed never to travel to Cuba again but this trip, for them, changed our minds. We will return again mostly thanks to their newer resort, great staff, better food.
I would like to highlight some of these areas. First the Resort is only two years old, so in good repair and every thing works, for example air conditioning, doors windows, lots of hot water. We chose to pay extra for the "privileged area", well worth it. Our room, cleaned expertly by smiling friendly DARLIN had a nice modern look to it with separate glass shower and a big soak-er tub. Lots of room and a big balcony that looked out over our seldom used privileged pool. also a glimpse of the turquoise blue ocean.
For the extra money we had a separate place to have breakfast served at an outside area where you ordered from menus. Beautiful place to sit talk and HEAR each other without shouting as you had to in main dining room with all the clanking of dishes and voices in an enclosed area. The servers, YULAINY and MAYLEN were excellent and as they got to know us we were greeted each sunny morning by hugs and their warm personalities. They would remember how I liked my coffee and what I liked and didn't like to order. Very top notch and professional. They also worked in our small private attached bar where all the "premium" liquor was served.
In this same building was the desk for our concierge YADIRA who performed/looked after everything we asked and inquired about. She even arranged a birthday cake, (more on this), she is training one of my favorite people LAYS, pronounced LIES. This week she will be working solo, so go easy on her. Speak with her and see if you also can detect an English accent and kiddingly as her how it came about. (tell her hello from Phil), She is fun! Here you have access to a computer room too.
Most mornings you will find one of TWO "butlers" at your disposal. We loved JAY best. He never instructed us to go to the front desk to get/arrange something...HE went and DID it, quickly, efficiently and always with his big Colgate smile. He alone was worth paying the extra to be on the privileged side. The other butler, (name forgotten), was older, tried to act more professional but NEVER assisted us in any requests. he always explained where WE could go to get our request accomplished. No personality either, he won't last. For example we asked him to arrange for a birthday cake for TANIA a server/entertainer in piano bar and he said maybe tomorrow, (a day late), so we asked YADIRA, (JAY was on a day off), who produced one no problem for us, on time! She is a sweet great lady. The other butler never followed up with us the next day, useless man.
Visit the piano bar but get there early. Nice little band and they love audience participation. So does TANIA, another of my favorite people. She is funny, sweet, professional and very good for the bar. It should be called TANIA'S BAR! SHE makes it fun.
Now to my favorite place to be looked after, I'll call it "JORGE and IDA'S BAR", located on the privileged pool side area. There you sit relaxed no hustle and bustle from other guests and noisy speakers making you shout. JORGE is a great guy, funny and makes anything you want to drink and will become a friend before your week is over. Bring him a HARLEY hat from Phil. He had a different hat on every day. God we had fun. IDA is the best! She loves a joke and looks after you so well. She loves to tease JORGE and any other staff who happen by. Ask her if she is "commando" today and which guy is like a "Ken - Doll"?
The main buffet area is fine for meals, I never went hungry and still gained 5 pounds. The A la Carts, well they are ok but was not impressed, they tried and we did go to each once. With the privileged bracelet you can make reservations, (JAY made them all for us) and walk right in past the long line of waiting common folk! Haaa! We were called "Fancy - Pants" by a rude lady in line. SORRY! Haaaa.
Overall this is one of our best trips south. We ave been to Mexico 3 times, Jamaica 9 times, Dominican twice. The beach is beautiful, ocean looks incredible, on a windy day great for body surfing, hardly any beach venders, lots of shade and chairs to lounge on. Also they have sky diving, (accompanied), that land you on the resorts beach front you are staying at. My wife did it and felt very safe and loved it. She has more guts than anyone in our group.
Yes the food could be better, more plentiful, but we did not come to CUBA for the food. We came for rest, relaxation, the beach, the warm ocean, fun and finding a new experience and maybe a NEW resort to return to. WE WILL,
Do remember to tip well. They need it.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the privileged side, well worth it. Use the butlers and Concierge to book anything...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
12  Thank pwelton52
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Just returned from a week in Varadero (Jan 18-25) and what an amazing vacation. This was our third trip to this hotel and it is still improving. My sisters and I have never returned to a hotel twice so to go back somewhere 3 times, says it all!

We stayed in the Privilege Section, this is adults only, your own pool with private bar, as well as separate breakfast and lounge area. When you check in you don't go in line at the front desk but in to the Customer Service offices. There we were met by one of our butlers (Romilio) who greeted us with welcoming drinks. He even recognized us as returning guests.

We requested rooms side by side facing the pool and it was no problem. Thanks to Tatianna (our maid for the week) for taking such good care of our room. Special thanks to "J" our butler for the outstanding way he took care of all our requests. Also to Yadia for her outstanding help and friendliness. Many thanks to everyone who took such good care of us at the lounge, (Maylan, Maria and Annalie). Last but not least many thanks to Ayda and George at the pool bar. They always made us feel good and put a smile on everyones face. If you are ever there ask George to make you a mojito special !!

The A La Carte restaurants are very good, we really enjoyed the Oriental, went back twice. The advantage being Privilege, you also get to make reservations where the other guests are "first come first served". We ate at the buffet a couple of times and there is an assortment of dishes for every taste.

Special thanks for Chef Miguel and Mayelin for an unbelievable evening.

We will definitely be returning next year !

Room Tip: Our building 41 was in the shade all day. If you want a room in the sun, ask for building 44 or 45.
9  Thank WendyM770
Reviewed January 29, 2014

The El Patriarca is only a little more than a year old. We took the Privilidge package and had a beautiful suite with a private pool at the back and an almost ocean view at the front. What we enjoyed most were the breakfasts at our little private restaurant near the beach. There we were served by two great ladies Maylen and Yulaimi. They were the greatest servers ever and they made our stay at the hotel even more enjoyable. This is a great breakfast spot and it can compare with breakfast restaurants anywhere.Our butler/concierge, "J" was a delight always ready to serve and anything we needed he was there to see to it that we got it .Besides the fact that he is extremely personable he is also quite a social director. At the spa we were treated like royalty by Dailys and her excellent staff. She is pleasant and always in a good mood and we Had excellent massages from Margarita and Frank. This was an excellent experience and we got to use the facilities at our leisure. The Italian resturant was very good the night that Ariel was there since he is so professional and adds a touch of class to the place. We were served by Lili who was excellent. At the buffet we were lucky to get Leydis and Lilima who were caring and pleasant. The best of the best will always be Maylen in the privilidge restaurant at breakfast, but all of the above made our stay very pleasant. On the down side the food needs to improve in both the quality and preparation. Some of meals wer not good and at times at lunch our supper I ate Ice cream and desserts which were not that great at times. The choices are limited I found. Thank god we were well served bsice it made the food almost palatable. This hotel needs an upgrade in the food serves since it is the only weakness. At the prices they charge for an upgraded Cuban vacation they need to get better. If they want to charge top dollar they must compete with other vacation destinations or suffer the consequences. Yes I am a picky eater but chuck roast should not be served as steak nor should the fish be smelly!
Francesco M. ( Montreal,Canada)

Room Tip: The Privilidge Upgrade is well worth it>
4  Thank Francesco M
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I don't know how much I can add given that 900 people have already reviewed this resort. In general, I liked everything, but the food was only a bit better than average, but not great. I'll simply add some of the stuff I haven't read.... This was my first time in Cuba.

Service:
Well above average, I thought the staff treated us great, even arranged a birthday supper for my wife (with birthday cake) before I had a chance to ask them - they phoned me and said "let's talk about what we can do for your wife's birthday". Wow! Servers in the restaurants and buffet were very attentive, and very polite and in general, really nice.

The other great thing they did was stay available for us when our plane was 7 hours late arriving. Even at 3:30AM there was staff at the front desk waiting for us (they knew the plane was late), and porters were available to carry our bags to our room. Way to go guys, it was wonderful that you handled it so well when we were so tired.

Entertainment:
I watched the shows at 9pm in the amphitheatre and mostly liked them. I thought the aquatic show at the pool would be lame, but it turned out to be the best one. Great music with synchronized swimming

I went snorkelling twice (20 pesos each time) and had a good time there too, zipping out to the spot on a catamaran. Lots and lots of fish, you won't be disappointed.

My wife went for a massage twice and loved the spa.

Great beach walks, and swimming, and kayaking.

We went to the town of Varadero three times, but I didn't find a lot to do.

Food:
Although I would have preferred more fresh fruit and raw vegetables, I appreciate that there were temperature sensors on many of the serving stations to ensure the food was stored correctly. Food was abundant, and I never went hungry. I'm not sure the separate restaurants were a lot better than the buffet....

Rooms:
The place appears new, I was perfectly satisfied with beds and everything else.

Summary: I wouldn't hesitate to go back to this resort, in fact, I'd have to be convinced to go somewhere else in Cuba.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 62xx block and there was no problem with noise. I appreciate the little patio we ha...
4  Thank rick_clark
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Awesome vacation! January 18-25 2014... Food was good, beach was beautiful, loved the rooms! Staff was fantastic (besides one lady at the front desk). The lobby bar was great, the staff was fun, friendly and made you feel very comfortable. I'll do my best with the names Gerry, Nestor, Gorge, Justo, Roserto, Chavelis, Ivelise, Meilyn, Yania, Elieser, Nuriel.Great people.. As for sleep quality, the pillows were way to flat for my liking, but overall good. Spa, this was my first massage I thought it was good, boyfriend not so much. It was nice inside and clean. TIP - If going into town bring your own toilet paper and sanitizer, resort paper a little rough also. We can not wait to go back, thanks for a great experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Molly M
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Just got back from a week's stay at the Ocean Varadero El Patriarca and had a wonderful time.

FOOD - As you have probably heard the food in Cuba is not what you're used to in places like Mexico, Dominican etc. so do not even try to compare it to resorts you've stayed at in other countries. This was my first time in Varadero but 4th time to Cuba and comparing it to my other stays in Cuba, I would say the food was good. Mind you, I am Pescatarian (eat fish but not poultry or meat) which at times limited my food choices, though I never left hungry! The bread and pizzas are awesome and I might have developed a Churro-addiction. I found the buffet was the way to go (a la cartes disappointed) but overall it was good.

ROOM (6522) - Lovely, modern rooms. Really enjoyed the decor and the green-themed design. We had a problem with our shower door where a quite a bit of water would leak out but as I was on vacation I couldn't be bothered to report the issue so just sopped it up with towels. We were given a hospitality room to shower in on the last day as our flight was at night and I noticed that shower didn't leak so it was more an isolated problem. We left our balcony door open at night for fresh air but as we were near the disco we could hear the music, though it didn't bother us (kinda liked it actually!). Just be aware if you are sensitive to noise request a room away from the disco.

BEACH - Nice beach, would rate it a 4 out of 5 as there are quite a few shells around, more so than I've seen at other beaches I've been too (however are great for collecting!) Plenty of palm umbrellas for shade and always chairs available. Lots of space and definitely better than the adjacent beach which was covered in rock. The pool area was very nice and a great alternative if you wanted to move away from the beach.

STAFF - Very pleasant and warm staff.

GROUNDS - Beautiful, well maintained grounds. The resort itself is medium-sized so perfect for a nice stroll but not too large that you need to take a tram (which I have had to do before in larger places).

ENTERTAINMENT - The music groups that toured the lobby in the evening were fantastic. Piano bar is super fun and lively. The shows were hit and miss, a lot of dance performances but the magic show was fun. Never made it to the disco so can't report.

OVERALL - Here's the deal, I paid under $1000 from Toronto (sale), and for the money this place was FANTASTIC! I can never understand people who complain and nit-pick about every detail when they are paying what they are paying. If you want a 5-star ultimate resort than go somewhere that is triple what you are paying and you will get it. You are on vacation - focus on the warm weather, go for a walk on the beach, drink a few mojitos in the beautiful lobby and relax. Promise you'll have a good time, the Ocean Varadero did not disappoint!

Room Tip: If you are bothered by noise request a room away from the disco.
7  Thank Kristina B