Ocean Varadero El Patriarca
$144
$133
HotelsClick
3,913 results
All reviewsprivilege sectionpiano barprivilege poolmike's coffeea la carte restaurantspizzaprivilege guestsprivilege roombeach restaurantbeach towelsrain showergourmet restaurantmain buffetfishprivate poolrecommend this resortmain pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and i got back on feb 26, 2013 from this beautiful resort this is my 8th time in cuba second time in varadero we stayed in building 12 upper floor our check in was fast and curtious was impressed right off how clean everyting was from lobby to ocean our room was spotless and very modern flat screen and all lol the grounds were well taken care of and well on there way with plants flowers for a new resort im sure will improve the pool was amazing and had areas to play or areas to relax lots of umbrellas for shade the beach well its varadero so its one of the best you will see the staff were friendly and ready to do anything to make your stay something to remember the food was very good maybe a bit more variety would be nice but the a la carte's were great for sure and didn't have to reserve in advance the shows were alot of fun and usually they found a way to get ppl up on stage for some fun too lots of excursions availabe or a double decker bus downtown to a flea market an experiance for sure
the reps were on hand to help you with any problems questions
so were never left wondering what to do or where to go
our only problem was that our balcony faced the disco and was very loud untill 2am
one thing i would recomend was when leaving you see your rep and get the V I P lounge at the airport when leaving it was 30 convertable pasos each and gave you a beautiful lounge air conditioned and all inclusive food and beverages and really curtious staff that looks after you
i would really recommend this resort i have went away every yr for the last 20 yrs and this was one of the best if not the best i have been too

Room Tip: the rooms close to the disco made it hard to sleep was loud lots of bass and runs untill 2am
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank firejockey19
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We were here from January 26th to February 3rd, 2013.

We arrived at the hotel around 1:00am in the morning and waited in line at the check-in desk for at least an hour. Not a big deal because there were many buses unloading at that time and we were on vacation anyways. When it was our turn to check-in, the procedure was quick. The staff at the desk were very friendly and the bellhops quickly took our luggage and us in the electric golf carts to our room.

Our room was very modern looking and very cold (excellent air conditioner). We had one king size bed and a pull out sofa. The room was also equipped with a flat screen TV, mini fridge with pop, beer, and water, powder room and a separate bathroom with toilet, huge tub, and separate shower. Early in the morning when taking a shower, we had to let the water run for a long time before it got hot. Somedays it was hot right away while others took 5 to 10 minutes of waiting.
Everyday the housekeeper would do a great job cleaning the room, also very friendly. One day our room went without fresh towels because the company that the hotel gets to launder their towels had problems (we were told) but we had pool towels from the previous day that we used. They dry pretty quick in the hot Cuban sun :)

The pool was pretty big, though not deep. Good for kids and those just wanting to cool off. The swim-up bar was great and the staff working were very friendly, very knowledgeable. Always remembered who we were and what we were drinking. TIP: Bring your own travel mug from home and take to any of the bars with you to keep refilling, otherwise you just get small glasses with your beverage. They go through a LOT of small plastic glasses in a a day.

By the lobby there is also the lobby bar and a Piano bar, both very busy. There was lots of seating in the lobby, but the piano bar was fairly small. There was also a small store just off the lobby where you can buy bottles of booze, cigars, chips, etc.

There are 3 À la Carte restaurants (Italian, Asian, and Gourmet) a Main Buffet by the lobby, a Beach buffet, and a pool bar where you could order snacks throughout most of the day. The À la Carte restaurants were VERY busy when they opened up at 6:30pm and started getting less busy around 8:30pm on. These are very small restaurants and fill up fast. If you want to eat early, I suggest getting there around 5:30pm and wait in line. The menus are limited in these restaurants (choice of 3 apps, main dishes, and desserts usually), but it was good food. They also had a very extensive wine list.
The main buffet was very big, no problem finding a seat. The buffet itself was good, many choices of beef, pork, chicken, and seafood dishes. Bacon was hard to come by at breakfast, they would bring out a huge tray of bacon and it would be gone in minutes. Us damn Canadians sure like our bacon :)
The wait staff is very attentive and are usually around quickly asking what you would like to drink, taking dirty plates away, etc.
The beach buffet was open for lunch and early supper (it closed at 6pm I believe). It had a few different menu items than the main buffet had as well as fresh BBQ (pulled pork the time we went). Again lots of seating and a pretty good buffet table(s).
The Pool/Snack bar was a great place to unwind in the evening. Have a few (ok a lot) drinks, and some pizza or hamburgers, etc.

The disco was fairly small but when you get a lot of people in there and the music is pumping it makes it that much better, a real party place. We were at this resort for my brothers wedding and after the wedding supper/dance was over, we all went to the disco and they even allowed my son and nephew in to dance (as long as they weren't drinking they said, lol). The kids thought that was the greatest thing ever that they got into a bar. They had a blast dancing into the wee hours of the morning.

The beach at the resort was beautiful, white sand beaches for miles. You had to get there pretty early though if you wanted to get some chairs under one of the umbrellas. There was also a beach bar to keep you refreshed throughout the day.

All-in-all, this was a great resort. Never had a problem with any of the staff, they were all very friendly and remembered you every day. Very professional and they all do their job very well. I believe the hotel was booked solid at the time which meant waiting a little for different services, but you can't be in a hurry when you are on vacation. Loved it, Loved Cuba!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank WayneTower
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I went to Cuba for our first time and celebrated our 10th year anniversary. We just got back on Feb 26, 2013 and we were very pleased with the staff at the resort. The pool was fantastic, the beach was beautiful, the room was amazing up dated, the entertainment ( show ) was something that will always be remembered.
Plus the bartenders worked really hard to please the people and made the guests feel like home. The food to us was really good we had no problems.

Here are the names of a few people that work at the resort that made us feel welcomed....... Geraldo, Jorge Luis, Yania, Yanimara, Nestor, Roberto, and Carmen. My husband and I would go back here any time.. So if anyone reads this please give them a try.... You will like it....

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Rina M
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

We just returned last night from a fabulous vacation at ocean varadero. I was a little nervous about going to Cuba , but from the moment we arrived all my doubts were gone. The resort is not to big but has everything you need. The beach is beautiful lots of chairs. Go early if you want shade (before breakfast). I tried all 3 al la carts they were all good. My fav was the Italian went twice , and my husbands fav was the oriental we went 3 times lol. Make sure you go to the piano bar at night and see Tania. She is a real gem. I am also missing my guys at the pool bar Jorge , Ayla and Justo they make awesome whiskey sours and Miami vices. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to any one. Go have fun. It made a Cuba believer out of me.

• Stayed: February 2013
11  Thank Morag B
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I vacationed at the Ocean Varadero El Partaricia in January 2013. My experiences there was very good being in Cuba for the first time. The weather was a little cool the first few days, but after that it got really hot. On the positive side I found that the resort was family oriented, the food was very good. They served a lot of fish and chicken and veggies (every day) - it was a variety of food for everyone's taste and made different ways (stews, plain rice, rice with veggies, grilled fish, fried fish etc.) The A la Carte Restaurants were good - I found that the Chinese one was the best. They also had Italian and Gourmet which weren't bad either. The staff on the whole at the resort were friendly. They made us feel comfortable. The room and pool were very clean. The beach was clean and beautiful (seaweed free).
On the negative side, there was too much smoking (all over the resort); there wasn't a good mixture of ages in the vacationers (lots of retirees); for the A la Carte Restaurants it would've been better to make reservations; however, the resort didn't allow that. People were made to line up and it was first come, first serve. The cost of the excursions were expensive.
In the future, I wouldn't go again in January or February because they are the cooler months.
Overall, I had a great time and would recommend the resort to anyone planning on travelling to Cuba.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family