“short stay”

Ranked #28 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“short stay”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We are a lesbian couple who stayed in this hotel back in April 2011 for 3 days. We took an excursion from Havana. At that time, the hotel seemed clean and had a variety of bars open on the property including a nice cigar bar. The rooms were big and clean and we had no issues with the bathroom or bugs, although we stayed on a higher floor. We had ocean views from our room. The koi pond was alright and we did not notice lots of mosquitoes.
The food at the buffet was pretty bad (bland, lack of options, pork-heavy) but the a la carte was o.k. And the staff was not too homophobic. The staff in general were friendly and helpful.
We did not use the pools, but the beach was wonderful and gave us a true varadero experience of turquoise waters and white sand. After a few months of living in Havana as a student, this all-inclusive seemed like a paradise! The property needs to be maintained, as do many hotels in Cuba.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank viajeradelmar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I went to this resort last summer. We went last minute and definitely got what we paid for. We didn't want to pay much so we got what we paid for. Having gone from a 5 star in Dominican to this hotel in Cuba, it was very different. The hotel was run down, the food wasn't very good but the beach was beautiful and the drinks were always available. We wanted to get away without paying a whole lot and this place wasn't bad for what we paid. If you're expecting an extravagant luxury hotel, this isn't it. If you just want to relax and don't need anything fancy than this place would work for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank 811heatherd

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My very firt advice, pls dont go this hotel. We stayed (fortunately) just 3 night in this place but it was more then enough. The worst thing was the food and the drink. We couldn' eat a good, because the food was really horible and it wasnt just our opinion. The top of the cake, my husband got a serius indigestion from a sandwich. So please dont book a room here, because its not worth.
off: its not about this hotel, but about Cuba. Cuba is a very interesting country with a lot of steretypes but in Varadero you will see nothing from the country, its a hotel-village, nothing more. We spent 2 super exciting weeks in 4 different cities in casas particulares where you can meet real cuban ppl, and can see how they live, I can reccomend this casas for everybody because these are very safe places and the food is so much better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Orsolya_Sz
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was my worst trip ever!! I was there in August with 2 friends. Hotel needs some serious renovations! If you stay in the villa you can't just walk there with your luggage, you have to have the bell boy take you there on a golf cart. Our room was gross, room 6225, as soon as we walked in you could smell the mold and dampness. Black mold on the ceilings, walls, bathroom doors and wood trim....disgusting. All of our things ended up smelling like that. When we got there our safe didn't work and we waited 2 days for it to get fixed. Our door lock on the door into our room didn't work properly, the maintenance guy said he would be back the next day to fix it.....he never did come back to fix it, sometimes it could take you 10 min to get it to unlock. The toilet never worked properly, we called the front desk 3 times to ask for someone to come fix it, 3 hours later there was still no sight of anyone, my friend had to walk up to the front desk and she never left til a maintenance guy was with her, he flushed our toilet and said it was fixed, it wasn't! We had to take it apart and rig it up ourselves.....the service there sucks!!! The service we got from the maids was great! The food was HORRIBLE!! Same food everyday, all day! No theme nights and barely any fresh fruit. The A la Carte was pretty bad too! Needless to say me and my friends didn't feel good most of the trip, upset stomachs, diarrhea and fever. There was more locals vacationing there than tourists. It was a long walk from our room to the restaurant and lobby, and half of the lights on the pathway didn't work....never thought to bring a flashlight. The entertainment at night was pretty good! The Michael Jackson show was amazing! The Beach was amazing!! Just Beautiful!! That was the only good thing....the beach! When we got home from our trip and went to the doctors we had bacteria infections and had to take antibiotics. We did the Havana trip and that was great! I was sooooo happy to be home from holidays and would strongly recommend to stay away from this resort.

Room Tip: Just don't go here!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank LoveLeigh79
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Clean... Excellent room service but food is terrible. Nice place to spend time if you are ready to go out for food. Three pools with pool bar and unlimited drinks. One pool is open all night, enjoyable experience.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Mak31086
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This was my first time in Cuba, I have heard so much things about this country I had to try it.
My god the fact that you had easy access to the beach was great as the hotel was on the beach, the sand was awesome the water was fabulous.
We got to the hotel and was told our rooms was not in the main building of the hotel, we had to be driven their on a golf truck after a 9 hour flight from United Kingdom than 3 hour drive from Havana airport to our hotel in Varadero that's the last thing you want to hear but anyways it happens.
When we got to the room it didn't seem like they were expecting us as we ordered 2 rooms and both rooms had no towels, toilet paper, iron, hand cleanser/soap or even cups.
The room smelt musty and mouldy like it hadn't been used for months.

There was no handbook in the hotel room to advise you who to call if you need assistance as we was given no introduction when we got to the hotel as that is the normal procedure when I travel to other hotels.
All the channels on the tv were in Spanish so not very helpful except one which was a Canadian channel but the volume on that channel was selective. The chairs and sofa smelt mouldy. The view from our hotel was nice as we sat on the porch we were looking direct at the ocean and we saw the sunset it was wonderful. Our hotel card/keys always failed to work so as we had 2 rooms we had to go through one room and climb over the balcony to get into the other, annoying as our hotel room was quite far from reception so that was the only option at times.
At night time there was limited light going back to our hotel so after you left the entertainment room where they would have shows from the stairs all the way past Mangos (where the disco was) we had to use the light on our phones to direct us back to our rooms was a bit dangerous as they had lights all down that way they just never turned them on.

The food was ok if you were a fish eater as that was on the menu everyday, the food was always cold so not sure why it was in the silver containers which you would normally keep the food warm in. The entertainment was rubbish the shows were boring, the customer service from the workers were poor, they would only find a way to speak English when they wanted someone from you as a British person if you get my drift.

The thing that put me right off is my camera went missing from my room it was never taken out the hotel so clearly it was the maid and as we had a different one each day it was quite hard to pin point or approach the right person so I reported it to the hotel reception and the manager, off course they denied saying their staff would never steal they failed to look into so I wanted to report it to the police, apparently all the staff in the hotel do not know who or what that is ( very convient) I had to ring my insurance company in United Kingdom to get the number for the police station.
When I did eventually get in contact with the police a waste of time as they spoke little English and the manager of the hotel was clearly denying everything in their language to make me look stupid. I felt very violated that someone could come into a room that I paid for and steal my property then when brought to their attention the hotel doesn't want to help me but when the police come they deny this whole situation happened.

I would never go back to this hotel it's a big space for no reason they need new management as there is loads of areas that are empty, I'm not sure if maybe one day the hotel was used to full capacity and now no one has money to come here anymore not sure, but maybe the hotel should be shut down and made smaller as that's maybe why a lot of places in the hotel smells mouldy and old. Gym, shops, room, pub in the lobby etc etc, the beach and weather saved the holiday.
Maybe Havana is better I'm not sure but this hotel should be renovated and managed by someone with good management and entertainment skills and maybe a few English speaking workers in site.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
14 Thank Leytonstone84
Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Beautiful vacation stay, great beach right off of your room!

Food.. well, it was good considering what everyone said about food in Cuba.. BRING CONDIMENTS and I do not recommend the burgers.

Entertainment... well there wasn't much unless you went in the city. So we made friends with another couple and took a taxi in together (which I recommend, the old cars are super awesome)! Not much action on the beach or around the pools. The occasional volleyball game, some wind surfing, etc.

The Room... we were in the private beach club sector. Upon arriving the bellhop inspected are room and wished us a good night. We had no toilet paper (I wiped my bottom with a towel.. which was used aha), the tv didn't work, and we didn;t have a jug of water. Our room was also supposed to come with a bottle of rum.. which we didn't get but we weren't in a fuss. Air conditioning was great.. bed wasn't comfy but you don't go down south to hide in your room :)

Over all stay... we made the best of it! We would recommend this hotel to someone on a budget. It worked for us and the time we got together was fabulous. Disco was fun.

STAFF (I forgot to mention)... not friendly unless you tip. Want toilet paper.. clean towels.. water? TIP or wipe with dirty towels ;)

And last but not least, Sun wing was not the most enjoyable flight. We were delayed 12 hours going home and their in-flight staff were anything but extraordinary.

Room Tip: Do not be afraid to ask for what you need despite the faces that greet you at the desk. AND do not...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple