“trip over Christmas”
Review of Naviti Varadero

We can't find prices for this hotel
Naviti Varadero
Ranked #26 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed March 29, 2013

first time to Cuba - couldn't believe the views - beach front room - old hotel but clean enough. I agree reception staff obviously stressed and overworked! Tour guides (Marvin and Michael) were wonderful. really disliked a la carte - so only ate at the dining room - not great food but I was happy with it - not there for the fine dining. Easy to get into Valadero. I would go again.

Room Tip: definitely get facing the ocean - away from elevator and main area.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Christine W
Write a ReviewReviews (2,285)

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We went there last year. The service at reception was horrible. They treated us really bad and made us wait for hours to get a room while the general manager was watching the whole thing and did nothing. Hotel is run down and some areas smelled like chemicals to kill ants. The place is not clean at all.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Cybill2012
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Unfortunately, I stayed at the allegro varadero from March 8th until the 16th.Before I begin this review, I will let you know that I have been to cuba before and knew what to expect. The food is never that great, and water can be hard to come by. That being said, staying at the allegro was like being on survivor.

The food: It was inedible. First of all, I am a vegetarian. One of their only vegetarian options, a "veggie burger", was a cold bun with ONE slice of onion and ONE sliver of green pepper...no sauce. It wasn't good, but at least it was food and vegetarian. One day I came back and asked for the "veggie burger" again, and received a pre-made ham and cheese sandwich. What did they tell me to do? Pick the meat off...that is not how being a vegetarian works. My girlfriends who, all eat meat, even lived off rice and bread, after trying the burgers and seeing that they were fully pink in the center.

The room: We arrived at the hotel at 9:30 pm, so it was dark outside. We walked a fairly long distance to our room, with no lamps lighting the pathway. There were light posts...they just didn't work. We arrive at our room which is on the ground floor outside, all by itself on the corner of a building. It looked sketchy from the outside...but it got worse. We get inside our room, and are completely shocked by what we're seeing. The floor is covered in dirt, there are dirty hand prints on the walls, the bathroom counter is full of water and there is hair in the sink. We continued to examine our room, only to find that our sheets are stained with questionable brown marks. We also had a family of lizards living in our room. When we discovered them for the first time, my friend screamed so loud that she attracted the attention of a security worker who came to our door. When we told him about the lizards, his responded "they live here". The room was also full of cockroaches and ants. We discovered that creatures were easily getting into our room because the space under our door was approximately 4 inches...we had to stuff a blanket underneath it. We later found out that our room was the one of the only rooms in the building with water and power. I will also say that the beds were SO uncomfortable that I received bruises on my hips from sleeping on my sides.

Service: The bartenders, maids, and dining staff were all wonderful. They were very friendly and accommodating. The front desk staff, however, was practically useless. We were supposed to get a bottle of water a day (to share between three people), but we didn't receive one on multiple occasions. I called the front desk asking for water multiple times, and they said they would send somebody...they never did. We would need to walk all the way to the bar and ask for multiple glasses of water each to hydrate. Also, they run out of toilet paper very quickly, so bring your own or packs of tissue.

The beach: Amazing, except for the fact that there were hardly enough beach chairs. Normally when you go to a resort, they have beach chairs stacked up to the side...there were hardly any. If you want a chair at the beach, go early. The main pool was the only place that ever had chairs available.

The pools: The pools were nice, no complaints there.

Overall, the allegro was the worst place I have ever stayed. In total, I have been down south six times, each time staying at a resort rated 4 or 5 stars. There is no way in HELL the allegro is a four star, it is a two star at most. The allegro made the holiday inn, which we stayed at on the way home, look like the ritz. It does not deserve to be called a resort, it's more like a camp ground than anything. My advice? stop considering the allegro IMMEDIATELY.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank gracezima
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Returned from the Allegro after a week on March 23rd. First mistake I made was paying for an upgrade to the "beach Club". Let me first say, that the beach club rooms are no different then the older rooms in the main building. I chose this upgrade because of the pictures I saw on the web-site that I booked this hotel from, I assumed that, based on travellers photos the nicer rooms most be in the "up-graded area"..NOT!...The toilet in the room was looked at and supposedly fixed 4 times. Basically it was put back together as the plunger mechanism kept coming apart, but was never really fixed. I finallly gave up with them, and just did the old manual flush with the top taken off. It always ran on. Enough with the toilet. The tub shower head was hanging on for dear life and the walls were in need of some heavy cleaning. no more then a 2 star bathroom. To some people this is important therfore I am mentioning it. Plenty of hot water and pressure. Air conditioning worked just fine. The card key lock system on your door is brutal! It is hit and miss on wether you get into your room on the first try. You have to swipe, swipe, and swipe again... Our neighbour had to come into our room and jump over to his room just to get in through the sliders..that he left slightly ajar just so he could get in..rather then ..trotting back to the lobby to get the card programmed again.

Pool Bar..well it has two sides to it, in which the bar tender usually is hanging out on the other side doing whatever??.You would have to yell to him for service. Pool is clean and attractive.

Buffet...Not bad, not as much selection as the main buffet however there arent as many people at the beach club as the main building so it makes sense not to have as much selection. It is a short walk to the buffet from the beach club and there is not usually a line up at the serving areas. A lot of the dishes are not labelled so some times you have no clue what you are being offered. Presentaion is good. Food is Cuba..so dont expect all the flavours of home. Suggestion ,,take small packets of ketchup,mustard,mayo etc.to spruce things up.."whish I did"

Beach/Ocean..what can I say? It's Varadero very nice. Beautiful ocean colours, calm and clear. Obviously if the wind is up..so are the waves

A La Carte...Hmmmm alright, except..Have you ever been at a resort where you couldnt order a beer with your dinner or enjoy a coffee with desert? Well if you stay here be prepared for that. I suggest you take your Bubba into the dinner with you. You will have to go to one of the main bars for your coffee or cappacino. That was a first for me after many vacations to the south. The drink cups are very small throughout the resort..4-5 oz maybe..

The Grounds
Very nice although a little tired..its still considered winter there. There are some nice flower bushes around the resort..and beautiful Palm trees with hammicks swinging from them here and there.

Washrooms.....
Around the resort the common or public washrooms can be deplorable. There are no seats on the toilets, there are no lucks on the stall doors..thats "if" there are stall doors..and seldom no toilet paper. This is a small thing to fix but obviously a huge problem I couldnt get over how nasty the bathrooom was on the second level just off the main reception. There are also many burnt out light bulbs making it even more negative. It is beyond me how the management at this hotel can make simple needs...become secondary to up-keeping this Allegro. They have dropped the ball here in many areas. Paint would really be a simple way to liven this resort up

Front desk..Not the most friendly people I have met. Everything seems to be a chore when asked anything. Check in was ok because it was a10:30 at night. However during the day new arrivals looked rather put off and anxious. Beach Club members are supposed to have a private check-in. This seemed to be non existent.

Staff in general..I think they would prefer to be some where else. Thats in general. There are some who seem to truley be happy and enjoy what they do. Mario at the bar is great.. Maids seems very nice but really only do the basics in your room. Leave small gifts or pesos..it means the world to them..if you want more water or fresh towels..Might be just me but the girls who work the beach grill..are nasty at best

Over-all I came home with a tan a few extra pounds and experienced Havana..Had a good time. But will stay down the pennisula..away from the town of Varadero (direction) The hotels from what I saw from a bus tour are very attractive..

Room Tip: Quieter in beach club..private..and close to beach and buffet
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Dan Q
Reviewed March 24, 2013

we just got back from Cuba and having read all the reviews from any one who has been to cuba, no matter where they stayed, told us not to expect too much and with that in mind we were not disappointed. They do the best they can with what they have, yes sometime they run out of things but then you get something else. The people were wonder full, the food was passible and the rum was great. Pay the extra few dollars and stay in the Beach Club area, food not much better but less crowded and smaller and you get better attention when something goes wrong. More staff per person. We stayed in Veradero because we wanted to go to Havana but next time I think we'll stay in Cayo Coco or some other quite resort. If you need things like water or toilet paper remember to ask several times, the first time rarely works.

Room Tip: get the Beach Club rooms ocean view only a few dollars more but well worth it, but don't believe...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Wilster1950
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Just got back yesterday from a week at the Allegro. It was my second time to Cuba, I stayed at the Rui in Varadero last May. I chose the Allegro because of the price and because of the beach and location. My husband and my two teen sons had a wonderful holiday. We went knowing that we had booked a 3 star hotel in Cuba and we got what we had expected. We had two 5th floor rooms with ocean views, beautiful! The rooms were OK, were not up to my cleaning standards, beds were sleep able , things were a bit broken and tired, the water pressure was low and hot water was hard to come by, sink drain was clogged, but all we had to do was look out the balcony and the rest could be overlooked. The food was not very good, but we could always find something to eat, we didn't starve. The service was good in most places in the hotel except the buffet and the front desk. The buffet staff were almost useless which was a bit annoying, please clean and set the table so guests have a place to eat! The front desk staff were unpleasant and slow. But most of the bar staff were sweet and provided good service. We had little problems getting chairs by the pool or the beach and it was spring break. The pools are simple but good, the beach is beautiful, just wish the sand was cleaner, cigarette buts, plastic cups and straws littered in some places. The end of the beaches are book ended by big rocks, which makes it nice. We went to a few evening shows and they were decent to good. This hotel provided lots of musicians , lots of musical entertainment, which were all very good. This hotel could do wonders by just keeping it cleaner and by doing some maintenance and some staff training. I would go back to this hotel if the price was right. Go to this hotel if you are not picky and high maintenance, you love the beach, get an ocean view, have a great time and enjoy Cuba.

Room Tip: -stayed in the main building (didn't upgrade), 5th floor ocean view. -view was awesome! -stay...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Mayanmom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

been to many places in south ,but this was the worst. very old everything. food was crap. service was crap. this place needs to be gutted and rebuild.nicest thing was the beach.has lots of potentional.varadero is a great place ,and the people are great.would not go back ....

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple