“Amazing hotel and trip”

We can't find prices for this hotel
IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul
Ranked #27 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed January 21, 2011

we just came back from Cuba, the hotel is amazing. Super clean, great staff, always smiling.
the beach is amazing. It was a bit windy and cloudy the first couple of days so we sat by the pools. the water was cold, but once in it, it's really nice.
we took the catamaran trip with our ten month old son. it was a perfect day: snorkeling, taking pix with dolphins, then an amazing beach on an island where you can have lobster.
i took everything with me for the baby, food , diapers, medications so I did not need anything for him there. they actually don't have much stuff,but there is one supermarket ( americana plaza where you can find wet wipes and diapers but i don't think the quality is great).
the cleaning lady decorated our room every day. i left her a gift almost every day ( mainly items from the dollar store, creams, shampoos, . I noticed they appreciate it very much when someone gives them clothes.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Nanousy
Write a ReviewReviews (7,296)

Reviewed January 20, 2011

We all would go back to this resort in a minute. We had a few days of overcast weather, but this did not spoil the trip. we can't say enough wonderful things about the beach, staff, and overall experience of this resosrt. we would recommend this hotel for anyone to vacation at!

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 19, 2011

What a stay, the hotel, the food, the staff all great. I was a little worried about going to Cuba with two young children (7 and 9) after reading some of the bad reviews about the resort, but once I got there my worries went away.

Cuba Airport
There is a bank to exchange money when you land. You leave the arrivals area and then go back into the departures and along the wall is a bank where you will get the best exchange rate. When I was in Cuba the hotel rate was 85 and the airport was 90. There is a duty free shop in the airport once you go through the security checkpoint when you are leaving. Don’t worry about having CUC the duty free store and the food places will take foreign money.

Hotel
The hotel is rated as a five star and is a five star for Cuba standards. I had no problems with this hotel. This hotel is better then some of the hotels that I have stayed at on the Walt Disney property. The staff are very friendly and are always helpful. The staff went out of their way to make my kids enjoy themselves. I only made it to two shows and both were great; my daughter even got to participate in one of the shows. The hotel was very clean; the staff made an effort to pickup anything that was left on the ground. I will be going back to this hotel again.

The food is good and has flavor at the main dining area. The buffet was generally the same thing each day but they would through something new every so often. There was a good selection of items that you could get freshly made for you at each meal if you didn’t see something at the buffet that you wanted, i.e. eggs, pancakes, pasta. My kids and I didn’t go hungry. I never ate at the outside buffet location, they had limited selection and I think that’s the area everyone was complaining about the flies. What did they think would happen; I know when I eat outside at home I have bees and flies always showing up. The best kept secret for eating locations is the restaurant that is next to one of the quiet pools. Its open from 10am to 4pm and you can order hotdog and burgers from a menu, it’s never busy and you get tomato and lettuce with your burgers.
The a la carts restaurants are a must do, I did the following three. The Japanese restaurant is good; it is great if you get the cook that can do everything with a blindfold on. The Romantico restaurant is the best a la cart that I had. The Italian is ok but the Japanese and Romantico is a must. My wife says that the steak at the Romantico is one of the best steaks that she has ever had.

Day trips
We did two day trips. The first day trip was into Varadero to the flea market, we went with another couple that had two kids and we all got into a taxi and it cost all eight of us 16 cuc to take the taxi to the flea market. It was fun and that’s were we got all of our souvenirs. There was more of a selection of items then what was being sold at the resort on the beach and several items were cheaper. The taxi ride back for 4 of us was 15 cuc. The second day trip was the catamaran, snorkeling, beach and dolphin day. It was one of the best days out that I have done on any of my vacations. The kids really enjoyed it and it was money well spent. The catamaran ride was great, the snorkeling was good, the beach was excellent and the kids loved being kissed by the dolphin, oh and the drinks on the beach and the catamaran were all including in the price. They even served lobster or chicken on the beach with rice and french fries, this was also included in the price. If you book a day trip, book it with your travel rep at the hotel, he or she will save you some money and headaches. I booked my catamaran trip with my sunquest rep and saved 51 cuc.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Jayzzz21
Reviewed January 19, 2011

My husband and I spent a week at the Iberostar Laguna Azul and had a great holiday. I am not sure why another reviewer said that there was only one treadmill because we saw quite a few along with bikes, step machines and weight machines. Food was plentiful and very good by Cuban standards. I saw one mosquito and a few small flies outside and that was it! Beds were comfy and the rooms were very clean. We loved Addiel and the lobby bar. He was amazing and very popular with the tourists. We did not meet one person who had a complaint about this hotel when we were there. To read some of the older reviews, you would think that we were not at the same hotel as the reviewers. My husband and I fully enjoyed our 2nd trip to Varadero and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elvisfananne
Reviewed January 18, 2011

My boyfriend and I did a duo trip with Air Transat to Havana/Varadero from Jan 2-Jan10, staying first at the Parque Central in Havana and then continuing on to Varadero at the Iberostar Laguna Azul.

Our experience at the Iberostar resort was excellent - great room, great food (considering how many they are serving to), great beach, great service and we were also pleasantly surprised by the quality of the entertainment staff.

Room:

Based on the reviews I had read here we asked for a room in building 20, close to the beach. We were happy with our 2nd floor partial ocean view we received - the walls/floors are a little thin but we had no problems sleeping and luckily no rowdy people in our buiding. We had some issues with what we thought were power outages but found out the final night that there is a slot to keep your key card in as you walk in the room which controls the power.

Food:

We ate at the buffet for most lunches and dinner two nights. Having just spent 3 nights in Havana where meals were on our own we had nothing to complain about. Always lots of variety, sometimes a little repetitive but if you went to the order stations the chef's there always had something different if you didn't mind waiting for a few minutes. We also ate at the Japanese restaurant and at the Cuban restaurant, they were ok but I actually liked the buffet better.

Entertainment:

We were planning on skipping the magic show the first night but are glad we didn't as it exceeded our expectations. We also watched the synchronized swimming and some of the other pool activities which were entertaining.

The lobby has great musicians around the dinner hour every night. The saxophone player was excellent on our last night there.

Pool:

We spent a few days by the quiet pool beside building 20. There is a snack bar there during the day and you don't have to go very far if you just want to relax. The pool is on the cold side but very refreshing if the weather is hot. Most people gather around the main pool where the activities are - but even when it was busy there were always plenty of pool chairs that you could find in the sun if that's what you wanted. We were told the resort was not full so not sure what this would be like when its at capacity.

Beach:

We took advantage of the Hobie Catamaran's and went out for a short sail with one of the guides there who told us a lot about Varadero beach. We found out near the end of the stay that the guys who run the catamarans will also take you out to an area for snorkelling for about $20-25. Had we had more time at the resort I think we would have done this, as some people we spoke to had done both this and the Cayo Blanco tour and found that the snorkelling off the Hobie's was actually better with more variety of fish.

Staff and Service:

The staff were very friendly and there was no pressure to tip (although many people were). We were impressed with the bartender in the lobby bar, we sat there one night and watched him make about 10 different drinks in the span of only a few minutes.

Excursions:

We did a short Varadero tour with Cubanacan for $9, it included stops at Casa de Al (Capone), a flea market to buy souvenirs, a rum/cigar shop and the Dupont mansion for a Cuba Libre. I highly recommend the Dupont (Xanadu) mansion as the Dupont's have a lot of history in Varadero.

Overall we had a great holiday and this resort was excellent. Would not hesitate to recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank teenytinywahine
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Wonderful to find out that although I do not smoke, the open air lobby does helps keep the cigar and cigarette smoke from being a problem and I enjoyed sitting in this area. The beach, pool and grounds are kept very clean and I most people picked up after themselves. You cannot go in the ocean on "red flag" days so be prepared for cold water if you jump in the pool as it is not heated. The entertainment staff are fun and really work hard to ensure everyone is having a good time. Guests are encouraged to take part in easy activities such as bingo and target shooting. Every winner gets a prize - a bottle of rum !!. I like children, but our family was not travelling with young ones and it was a pleasure to stay at a resort where the children were mostly well behaved. We only had to endure one incident of a kid wailing their eyes out in the buffet restaurant. Yes the food quality rates only a 3 star, fresh bread and sweet rolls are reliable and it is worth waiting in line for the custom made omelet. Salt & pepper are on the tables and hot sauces in the buffet. Unfortunately, the bar service is very slow if you are a lone female and it can sometimes take up to 45 min before you get a drink which was very disappointing as I'm not the type to chase down a waitress. I find this is not my style and a little embarassing. I usually tipped 1 peso, but this didn't always guarantee as second round. No vanilla available in any of the places we checked in Veradero or Havana. There is a terrific selection of cigars and rum at the airport with excellent prices even after you clear security. The stores and booths are open early if there are flights departing and I wished I saved more pesos and I would have bought more cigars for friends back home. Going back to Canada, passengers were able to carry liquids on to the plane.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2011

We've been to Cuba several times during the last 20 years and at different places.
Varadero has the best beaches, always clean and beautiflul. I can't imagine a nicer beach than this! The hotel is nice looking. The lobby is huge and there are musicians there every night, and you can have a very nice and relaxing evening there listening to them while having a lovely drink. The food however, is another story. I know 5 stars in Cuba is really not 5 stars and I don't go there for the food. I must say none of us got sick at all, and that is a real big plus when you're travelling with kids. There is NO REAL MILK
and NO REAL ORANGE JUICE (only reconstituted powdered stuff, which is kind of disgusting, my daughter who is 3 and an avid milk drinker refused to drink it). The food
was okay but very inconsistent. Maybe because it's a new hotel, they haven't worked out the kinks yet. We ate twice at the italian restaurant. The first time the food was the best
we had during our stay (choice of pasta plus entree), but the second time we went we could only get one or the other. We ordered the pasta (which was 4 raviolis) and we weren't allowed a choice of entree like the last time. Our kids portion was bigger than ours! We thanked the nice but inexperienced waitress and told her to forget the dessert
and we would go to the buffet to get more food. I was very surprised for an all inclusive,
where you can eat all you want, they would not try to make us happy especially since we had a great meal 3 days before!!!! One other thing, like another travelller mentioned, forget the pools, they are FRIGID. We only swam in the oceon. It was much warmer!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family