$200
$376
$207
Cancelon
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $232/night.

7,786 results
All reviewspizzamain poollobby bara la carte restaurantsfishmain buffetjapanese restaurantquiet poolchickenbeautiful resorttex mexother resortsfriesevery other dayrecommend this resortbring your ownstar friends
Reviewed April 18, 2010

I visited this resort April9-16 of this year and had a nice time.Check in was quick and courteouseven at 10p.m.Rooms were clean -had enoughtowelsand toilet paper all week.Pool towels were scarse so hold on to yours until a.m. to exchange it.The beach was beautiful but wear sandals or water shoes as lots of broken shellson entire beach...just needs groomed at night.Lots of shade on beachunder talapas.Pool area was not clean though..spilled drinks and ???. needs hosed down at night..never saw it done entire week there..rain is not good enough.Washrooms around pool area dirty ...no soap...hand towels and sometimes no toilet paper ..yuck..needs more staff in this areas.Gardens will be lovely when plants grow in ..all new still.Kids play area was nice too.buffet ...what can i say..food was boring..same all week and i have worked in food service all my life..need s variety.The hot food was hot and steamtables were up to required temps as thermometeron each unit and believe me i checked..same with the cold food..on chilled slabs..good work dietary workers...but keep bread area coveredand pizza area ...too many flies.Tables were dirty...needto change table cloths more often ...need overlays on each tableand change whenever there is spills.That can been done- i knowit from experience.The24 hr, snack bar is good and good pizza at buffet at quiet pool on west side .Dinner at Cubanand Romantic restaurant was fabulous..remember to try themTook day trip to Havana..incredible city ...Rosie our guide from cubatours was a wealth of knowledge..lunch was fabulous.I recommend this day trip.my only major complaint was staff needs to learn how to handle any conflicts between guests.Iwas verbally and physically attacked by a crazy ladyover a white towel.husband said i took his towel off the loungerhe had saved at 7 a.m.luckilywe had proofthat .we were there at 6.51 as shown on family members camera .photo of sunrise from that seat..WAs hit in head and she tried to pull towel from under my head...poor activation staff member didn"t know what to do ...security came withno success even after showing them camera time .Only after threatening to call police and laying charges did she get removed from the area.she ruined my last day..very upset ..but not their fault..poor fellow said he never had something like this happen before ...definatly not his fault
.would i return here ...YES..they are new and can improve over time with instruction.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank crazynan
Reviewed April 18, 2010

We just returned from this resort on April 16th and had a wondeful time. I just do not get some of the negative comments in the various reviews, perhaps expectations are too high. This is the Cuba after all, it will be different , the food, the culture and everyone moves at their own pace. Frankly I want it to be different when I go on vacation , you are there to relax and unwind..
My wife and I arrived late in the evening, check in was very quick and we were then taken to our room which was neat, clean and quite large. The next day I had a chance to explore. The resort is large , but very compact so easy to get around. The pools were beautiful and we never had a problem getting a chair at the pool or beach the whole week. Certainly would recommend getting a spot early for the pool if you want shade but for the beach it did not matter- more chairs then I have ever seen at any resorts and always a place to find some shade. We spend all the time at the resort with the exception of one day when we went to Varadero to explore. We ate at the Cuban, Romantic and Steakhouse- certainly the Romantic was the best in my opinion- great Tenderloin. The main buffet retaurant had a great selection and if you could not find somehting to eat you were not looking hard enough- great fish, pasta , chicken and pizza. Also especially liked to bread in the morning. All the bars were great but especially enjoyed the lobby bar with all the evening entertainment . To me tipping was an option only , not expected but greatly appreciated and we certainly tipped for the service we received .
yes there were some minor things that you had to go with - now always able to change your beach towel, having to wait to get served sometimes in the bar, the food was not always labeled and things were not always on time but these are so small and should not really affect your vacation. You just need to go with the flow .
About the only negative thing ( if you can call it negative) was the beach was beautiful but had lots of shells so you had to be careful when walking in your bare feet . It certainly was the best beach around from all the resorts in the area . I have been to Punta Cana several times and feel the beach was better there .
Otherwise go and enjoy and forget the negative reviews. My wife and I have been to the Carribean at least 10 times and this resort would be rated in the top 3. Every vacation is what you make of it - if you want to find fault there will always be something to complain about .

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
10  Thank curtip55
Reviewed April 17, 2010

We had checked into the Iberostar Playa Alameda, which was also rated as a four-star (we'd give it a three by Cuban standards) and checked out within two hours. It was a good move and we were overall very pleased with Iberostar Laguna Azul. We are experienced travellers and so are our children. We were told by the Air Canada Vacation staff there there were no five star resorts available to families - that they were all adults only. Perhaps if you were displeased with this resort and are not travelling with children you might prefer an adult only 18+ resort.

Money can be exchanged at the Laguna Azul but if you wish to get cash you cannot do this. I walked (5 mins tops) to the La Salinas resort next door which has a bank. They will only give you cash on a Canadian credit card and you must take your passport. They are open 24 hours but frequently close from 5 - 7:30 for the lunch break.

The Bus Ride:
Fine, our Air Canada guide was just learning English, a bus ride is a bus ride. What information he did share proved to be useful.

The Resort:
Compared to the Iberostar Playa Alameda it was heaven for $418.00 more. It was clean, airy (despite the smoking in the lobby) and the staff were very efficient on check-in. The resort is fairly new so there was little wear and tear, the majority of the material used was marble.

Our Rooms:

We are a family of four and had two rooms across the hall from each other. There were no bugs (a big plus), shampoo, bath gel, conditioner and soap provided and replenished as needed. Bath towels changed each day but sometimes no hand towels or face cloths provided. This did not concern us as long as we had clean bath towels. The first maid (first night) was not overtly friendly, however, the woman who cleaned our rooms for the remainder of the week was excellent. She left beautiful and amazing towel art as well as figures made from bedskirts utilizing found objects (our sunglasses, hats, scarves, night dresses and other items left out). We tipped 2 pesos per room plus our gifts and we brought a range of items with us that we thought might be useful and/or difficult to find and/or of poor quality in Cuba. We tip practically the same amt in Canada and thought it at least fair to do the same there. Robes were available in our rooms, English television, sitting area, definitely enough room to be comfortable.

The Pool/BeachTowels:

We had trouble getting the towels for use outside on one day only. We waited til the afternoon and found that they had run out. It didnt really matter, we kept the ones we had and hung them over chairs on the balcony that night. They did til towels became available. Our advice is to get them early in the morning and we suspect that the lack of availability had to do with laundry facilities (perhaps why washcloths were in short supply and dining room linens were not changed as frequently as they should have been).

The Food:
For an all-inclusive with buffet style service it was great. It is hard to serve hundreds of people at once and to cater to everyone's needs. We are a family of four and we all eat differently - we were all satisfied. The dining room is very well staffed. The service was the same tip or no tip but you could not miss the thanks when a tip was received. Staff were constantly cleaning and tidying the buffet area and moving the food around to keep it all neat and tidy - any dropped food was immediately cleaned up. Desserts were pastries, pies, squares, cake, fresh fruit and amazing ice cream. One criticism would be that the dining room linens needed to be changed more frequently - again we wondered if something was up with the laundry service.

The Drinks:
The best drinks were at from the bar in the lobby - also the best coffee and cappucino. The pina colada's weren't bad, strawberry daiquiri's good when a sweet drink was needed, mojito's were good but the best were the Hemingway's (not too sweet).

A La Cartes:
We didn't book early enough ended up not eating til 9:00 p.m. which was hard on the children and interfered with them getting to the start of the evening shows which they enjoyed attending. The Cuban was fine, the food was what one would expect (rice/beans, etc), we thougth the waiter worked too hard for his tip. The Romantic was our favourite with amazing, professional service, great food that one would expect from any first rate restaurant, and the third, the Italian, I would not recommend. I don't recall that the food was very good (they forgot to serve the soup course), my main was terrible. The service was so slow and the two female waitresses did their best to ignore everyone equally - definitely no smiles there. I skipped dessert as we were there from 7 - 9 and needed to get seats for the show. This Italian A la carte I would definitely not recommend - as much for the poor service as the food.

Interestingly enough, all al a cartes are served by the same kitchen.

Room Service:
We didn't use room service.

Getting your Seat at the Pool:
Drop down early on the way to breakfast and leave your beach towel and book, etc. We did this and had no trouble. My husband particularly liked to be in the shade of the big rock in the centre and I in the sun. There were 3 pools, quite a few huts, swim up bar, ice-cream, etc. Someone complained about mats for the beach chairs - the staff came around with them. We simply asked the staff and they brought the number we needed.

The Pools:
Warm and clean.

The Beach:
We didn't see any jellyfish. The beach was quite nice, the water was very warm. Easy to get beach chairs but go early if you want a hut. Again, as with poolside, ask the staff for lounging mats.

The Entertainment:
Typical of caribbean resorts. The aerobics in the pool were fun, bingo every day, lots of games for the kids. Arrive before showtime at the theatre to get a seat. The entertainment was okay - efforts were made to do it well. The staff worked hard at the pre-show warmup - depending on one's temperament this could either be fun or a nuisance. Take bug spray.

Overall:
Good value for money and we are glad we moved from the Iberostar Playa Alameda. Hopefully the Latin American countries will begin to cut down on smoking and the areas where people can smoke will be designated. Thankfully no smoking in any of the restaurants but smoking was permitted in the lobby, around the pool, in the hallways, in the outdoor eateries, and in the rooms. As non-smokers and with kids who are revolted by it we could have done without it. But it is unavoidable at any of these resorts in the Caribbean - thankfully the people who smoke are becoming fewer.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank NLcleanfreak
Reviewed April 17, 2010

My friend and I just returned from a week stay at the Laguna Azul and what a great we had. We were a bit concerned on our choice of hotel after reading the reviews posted the few weeks before we left but there was no need for any concern. Not sure how some reviewers could post some things that were but I guess they have expectations that are far and above the average person. I have travelled extensively and am considered picky so those who know me know it must have been great!

The food was good and always something for the pickiest of eaters. The buffet was varied from pasta, pizza, steak and a good salad bar. Breakfast was always good with lots to choose from and re-filled quickly. There were many signs posted over food to say what a dish was. Of course not common things like scrambled eggs but if you need a sign for this then you may have a problem ;)

A La Carte Restaurants
During a 7 day stay you can choose 3 of the 6 restaurants. We chose Cuban, Steak House and Japanese. All were very good. The Tenderloin at the Steak House was so tender it melted in your mouth. The Japanese was our favorite since it was amazing food and very entertaining.
We booked our restaurants the day we arrived and had our choice and our wait time to book was about 30 seconds...lol

Pools
There are 3 large pools all with their own restaurant/snack bar. All have servers who ask if you want drinks etc. The pizza is very good and seemed very popular.

Room
Our room was very clean and spacious. The bathroom was also spacious and the tub was amazing. There was no fan so when taking a shower it got quite humid throughout the room. We never had an issues with water and always had the hottest you wanted. Face clothes were not avaialble after our first day....but we survived but it seems it can be a cause for a ruined vacation without them....go figure! lol

Beach
Very large beach. Sand not as nice as another I resort I have stayed in but much roomier and more shaded areas to choose from.

Service was amazing. So many people to serve you at all times. You barely finish eating or putting down a drink and they are there asking if you want anything else or take away your empty glass or dishes. No tips are required because you get the same service no matter what.

Room Service
Room service is available from 11am-11pm. We did use this one evening and it was quick and very good.

Entertainment
Same old same old. They are the same anywhere I have stayed which is fine but to complain about it like so many is ridiculous.

Reception
They were always friendly and helpful and greeted with a smile.

I have been to Cuba 6 times in the last 3 years and would say this is now my favorite resort. I just hope they continue the great service, food and build on the good they have.

I have no qualms recommending this resort to anyone. I plan on returning and bring some more friends cause I know they will love it too.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tiggersue2u
Reviewed April 17, 2010

It's funny, I read the bad reviews and it's as if we didn't go to the same resort! I can't believe how picky some people are. Everything was great, we had a wonderful time and didn't want to leave! The plusses: the friendly staff, the location, the weather, the a la carte restaurants (Japanese and Romantic are great), the entertainment. We never had problems finding a chair on the beach and never got there before 10 or 11 am (I read you had to get there before 7 am: not true!) Things to improve: the buffet (label the food), improve coffee in the buffet section. Also not true you had to tip the pool boy to get a chair pad! We alwaysgot towels except one day. The Travel Agency rep explained that ALL the towels from ALL the resorts are sent to the same place for cleaning which explains the shortages some days.
The excursion to La Havana was great, well worth going! Catamaran great, we fed the fish.
We would definitely go back!

• Stayed: April 2010