“Chris -MB " Beautiful Cuba!"”

IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul
Ranked #28 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed March 12, 2014

This was my 1st visit to Cuba. I had read a lot of reviews and had a good idea of what to expect.
Overall Cuba is beautiful. The people are lovely and very hard working, this is one of the safest
vacation destinations that I have been to. My husband & I vacationed with some friends and chose the Iberostar Laguna Azul after reading many hotel reviews. The hotel is lovely. It has many beautiful pools all over the resort, some are quiet and some have lively with activities.The beach is beautiful and there are plenty of beach chairs & shaded areas on the beach and pool area. The ala carte restaurants were very good, especially the International & Cuban and were told the Japanese was also excellent. The buffet had a wide selection of food but I found most of it was not the best quality. The fruit was dry and tasteless and most of the fried food had a bad after taste. They must not change the cooking oil very often so it gave a bad after taste. The house white wine also had a bad after taste, it was a Cuban local wine. The drinks were great and not watered down as when we went to the Dominican Republic. The coffee was bad except in the lobby car where they had an espresso machine. We stayed in an ocean view room and it was lovely. A nice king bed, couch area, balcony over looking a quiet pool and the ocean. The bathroom fixtures did need updating and even though we tipped the maid daily there were usually only 2 bath towels, no hand towels or face clothes, and 1 bar of soap for the week. We did however get our water restocked daily which was a bonus.The shower gel on the shower wall ran out and were not refilled but they did leave a little bottle of shower gel for us. The nightly shows were excellent and they had a nice disco on site. We took one of the Havana days tours booked thru our Sunwing rep. It was a full day tour and Havana was very interesting to see. All of the books rate this hotel a 5 star but I would rate it 4.5 overall. To be a 5 star the room amenities, including towels have to be restocked daily. The food quality in the buffet has to improve also, as I would rate it a 4. The service & staff were excellent and the hotel and grounds are lovely. I would stay at this hotel again and can recommend this hotel for others to stay at.

6  Thank Christinebf
Director D, Gerente at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your review. Priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction. We have taken all your comments and suggestion into consideration and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned points. However, if you decide, to visit us again in the near future, please do note hesitate to contact us.

Wish you all the best

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Laguna Azul from Feb. 23rd to March 02th 2014. We arrived with Air Transat, very satisfied with the airline and the rep. at the hotel Ailyn...Wow, she was great, she loves her job, and it shows!!! Thank-you Ailyn!!! Check-in was quick and easy, we were given a cocktail to enjoy...Nice!!! We requested a room on a higher floor but the first night, we were given a ground floor, no big deal, but the next day we went to see Ailyn, and within 20 minutes we given a third floor room close to the lobby...Wow!!! Thank-you Ms. Ileana Perez from the bookings Dept., SHE was amazing...she took the time to show us our room and made sure we were satisfied with the change, which we were, very kind and professional, Thank-you Ms. Perez.

Now the hotel: WOW!!! Beautiful, clean and the layout was great, close to everything, the room was superclean, spacious and our maid, Angela (I think) was sweet and discreet, making towel art with beautiful flowers, Thank-you!!!

The food: Almost all of the reviews say the food in Cuba is bad... please!!! We found something everyday we enjoyed, lots to choose from, it's not like home but c'mon people!!!

A la carte: We went to the Japonese...WOW!!! and the Romantico...the steak, very good!!!

The beach: What can I say...Breathtaking!!! Clean white sand and the water...crystal clear with beautiful shades of blue and green...WOW!!!

The Staff: We were told, the Cuban people are warm and friendly, well THEY are!!! Special thanks to Sexy Nancy, Lady Gaga, Janet, Junior, Coffee, and the rest of the staff, you made our vacation fun and memorable, you are one of the reasons we will return to your amazing hotel!!!
Thank-you again Ms. Ileana Perez for making us feel welcome, in your beautiful country.

I forgot the name of the gardener who took the time to give me a beautiful flower every morning to start the day!!! (he worked around the grounds close to the lobby).

Room Tip: We were in room 15311, very close to the lobby, we loved it!!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Joanne G

Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice review. It is our highest reward to hear that our clients enjoyed their vacation with us. Should you choose our hotel, or some other IBEROSTAR Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Second trip (travelling with my sister and friend) to the Iberostar Laguna Azul in as many years and am glad I returned to this resort!!!

My stay was February 5th – 12th, 2014. After 19 hours (starting in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario – delayed due to poor weather conditions in Southern Ontario) our plane finally arrived at 1:13am and we checked-in 3:00am. After such a long day all we wanted to do was check-in and sleep. At 3:00am we were greeted with a smiling, friendly face at the front desk. Check-in was a breeze and sleep came quickly that first night!!!
We stayed in block 18 – 4th floor. Room was fine – spacious, clean. Fridge was stocked, bath towels replaced daily, hot water worked, no real issues at all.

Food – some reviews really knock the food. Honestly it’s not that bad. This year we stuck to the buffet – only booked one a la carte The Romantico. I was disappointed in the Romantico. Selection was not the greatest and out of the limited selection a few items were unavailable. As for the buffet – main buffet always has a big selection of food. I stuck mainly to the grilling stations. Fish was my favourite!! Delicious!!! It’s easy to avoid items that you don’t recognize or are worried about trying. There is plenty of food so everyone can find something! Fresh fruits, desserts, ice cream were well stocked. Breakfast is also served in the main dining area. Decent selection of food. I enjoyed the omelet stations that were made fresh for you. There was always a variety of cold cereal as well as fresh fruit! We always ate lunch at the outdoor buffet near the beach. I was a bit disappointed with the outdoor grill – seemed to be only burgers and sausage. I missed the grilled chicken. We brought our own bottles of ketchup, peanut butter and hot sauce. No real problems with food.

Drinks – best drinks are served in the Lobby Bar!!! They are delicious!!! Also always get your coffee here!!! So good!!! Spanish coffee at the lobby bar is amazing!!! They have quite the variety of alcohol and will accommodate your order without batting an eye or losing their smile. The lobby bar was our usual hang out and was quite busy nightly. Good atmosphere, good conversation with the employees and with our visitors. Made many friends here – new friends from Germany and France and had some good conversations with new friends from other parts of Ontario (Michel & Vivianne and Gerry).

Staff – Hands down the best staff!! Everyone is friendly. In the 2 times I’ve been to this resort I have yet to encounter an employee that was unfriendly or rude. From the front desk to the bartenders to the wait staff to the cleaning staff to the groundskeepers … always a smile and genuine kindness when engaged in conversation. I am so impressed!!! It’s the first thing I tell people when they ask how my trip was! Speaking of staff, I was taken aback by how many employees remembered us from last year.
Some employees that seemed to go that extra mile to make our vacation that much more memorable – from the main buffet dining area: Yaima, Maikel, Ysovany. Lobby Bar: Yariel, Yeisel, Luis, Pavel, Leyder. Theatre bar: Evian. Beach bar: Cuba and Alfredo. Amazing staff!!!
We did one excursion – catamaran trip minus the dolphin stop. It was amazing. Got to spend more time at Cayo Blanco . . . beautiful. Our crew was on the Ra was great and we met so many people. Had a blast!!!
Overall had a great trip. At first I was worried about repeating a stay at the same resort but am so glad that we did!!! Iberostar Laguna Azul did not let us down . . . already talking about a three-peat!!!

Room Tip: I've stayed on the ground floor and 4th floor . . . I would definitely try for a room on a highe...
4  Thank yllem
Director D, Gerente at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear clients,

Thank you for having chosen our resort for the second time. On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice and detailed review. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were satisfied with the service of our staff. We will take your feedback about the restaurant into consideration. If you decide to visit us again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. We would be pleased to welcome you again as our guests.Thank you also for taking the time to share your opinion with other travellers.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

A freind and I picked this hotel as we knew the services in Cuba may be less than what we are used to at other all inclusives. This hotel did not disappoint! The rooms were very clean, good assortment of food and very nice beach. I have stayed at a doxen different hotels in Mexico and Punta Cana and yes the hair dryer in the room would over heat, yes there was no water one afternoon, and yes the food is a little bland at times - this is Cuba and that is part of the experience! They work extremely well with the limitations and the people are very friendly and welcoming without being pushy. We were always able to exchange money as needed as requests for extra towels & blankets were quick. I would recommend this hotel. Make sure you visit the town of Varadero, Mantanzas & especially Havana! We did the all day/evening trip to Havana with the Tropicana show whcih was a great day but a lot is seen from the bus window - The hotel room in Havana for freshening up before the Tropicana show is extremely large with a powder room and full living room in addition to the bedroom/ensuite. I would suggest the 3 days Havana/4 days Varadero if you really want to explore the city & see the culture. Also did the jeep tour - this is when you may want to bring some gifts for the children. Only disapointing part of the holiday was 4 hour delay with Sunwing & an unscheduled stop in Regina on way home to Vancouver. Apparently Sunwing is known for not keeping to schedule....

3  Thank HendryBC

Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice review. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients. Should you choose our hotel, or some other Iberostar Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I have been to Varadero, Cuba 6 times now and we recently stayed at the Iberostar Laguna Azul and we cannot wait to return ! It is by far my favorite hotel /resort to date. What impressed me the most is the layout of the hotel, I loved it because it is beautiful, modern, larger yet you didn’t have to walk forever to get somewhere. The elevators actually worked. All bathrooms throughout the hotel were well maintained. Our air conditioning always worked, we always had hot & cold running water. They have an excellent pool towel service. We always were able to find a lounge chair by the pool or on the beach !!!!

Most destinations like the lobby, the pools, the hot tubs, the ice cream shop by the beach, the beach, the disco, the theatre, the a la carte restaurants, the buffet, the cigar lounge/bar were all within a 5 minute walk. Make sure to go upstairs to the 5th floor to the spa/ Jacuzzi area beside the gym to take some awesome pictures of the resort.

Always friendly professional staff at front desk, main bar, stores, pool bars, buffet, a la carte restaurant, entertainment team, beach team, nightly talent at the large theatre…..amazing hard working staff who are so friendly and pleasant.

Book the Japanese a la carte restaurant it was entertaining and delicious ! The buffet was good especially the pastries, croissants, donuts, breads, desserts, pork, chicken, veggies, duck, beef, fish....however I would recommend they change up the day to day hot items for the dinner and add a little more variety as it would be appreciated ! As well the hotel should ensure that the pasta is cooked properly...it is the 1st time I have been disappointed with the pasta being over cooked and mushy......but there were so many other options that it was not a big deal for me but it may be for others.

Beautifully landscaped and well laid out resort, well maintained grounds, we liked the location of the main pools, the number of pools, the location of the quiet pools, our favorite location was the pool bar !!! However the rocks and waterfalls were pretty cool, pool area is very spacious and well laid out with lots of pathways.

Clean rooms beautifully decorated, we had a nice big corner bathtub with handrails & a seat area in tub, excellent friendly maid service, always fresh clean towels, a small room fridge stocked with water, pop and beer!!! Take your bottle of water with you to the pool or beach so you will get a fresh bottle every day….we used ours to brush our teeth with as well.

I am often in Cuba for the winter Olympics and Cuba caters to Canadians passion for their hockey ! Via word of mouth we heard the management & staff were setting up the Disco with a projection TV, 200 chairs for the Gold Medal men’s hockey game on Sunday Feb 23rd at 7:00am. They served coffee, pastries and the bar opened at 7:30am !!! It was awesome to watch and be a part of! Now that is awesome/ excellent customer service.

It was my birthday during our vacation and the hotel sent me a bottle of Havana Club Dark Rum with a nicely written letter wishing me a happy birthday ! Nice touch and very appreciated! Thank you to the hotel manager and his staff.

Over the years I have stayed at the Villa Cuba, Arenas Doradas and Memories which are nice but Iberostar Lagua Azul is by far my favorite ! We plan on returning next February to escape from our crazy winter weather here in Ottawa, Canada ! It was my boyfriend's 1st tropical trip and he loved Varadero and I can thank the Iberostar Laguna Azul resort & staff for making it an excellent & memorable vacation ! We plan on returning to this resort !

Room Tip: We had room 18302 on the 3rd floor which is the mail lobby floor beside the elevators and stairs. We...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Wanda S

Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice and detailed review. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your birthday with us! Should you choose our hotel, or some other Iberostar Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us. We feel honoured to welcome you again as our guests.Thank you also for taking the time to share your opinion with other travellers.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Travelled here with my husband the first week of March 2014. First time in Cuba, but just to give a sense of my travel experience, I’ve done all-inclusive in Mexico and Dominican before, and have travelled a fair amount elsewhere.
Here is my review.

Beach: the best I’ve seen… white sand and turquoise water. We never had trouble finding beach chairs and palapas. We would often leave our belongings on our chairs while we were swimming, and always felt that our things were safe. Looking at the neighbouring resort, we saw that their beach looked crazy busy, so we were glad to be on a section of the beach with some space!

Pools: Great as well. Quiet and more “lively” options.

Resort Layout: Thought this was great! For a bigger resort, it was really easy to get around. The grounds were beautiful, clean, and well-kept.

Rooms: I emailed before arriving and requested a top floor room far away from the theatre/disco area with a king bed, and we were pleased to be given a fourth floor room in building 18. This overlooked one of the “quiet pools” and had a great ocean view, without paying for the upgradeOur room was large and spacious. It was a bit musty, but we didn’t mind. It certainly wasn’t perfect (sink didn’t drain properly, closet door came off hinges, bed not the most comfortable,) but it suited us fine! Our maid was great and kept our fridge restocked every second day as promised, and gave us extra water when we asked for it.)

Food/Drinks: I do have to say that the food wasn’t quite as good as what I’ve had at a Mexican 5 star, but really nothing to complain about. We were always able to find something at the buffet, and on a couple of occasions we tried out the Ranchon grill as well for burgers, fried and pizza. At the buffet, I really enjoyed the omelet station at breakfast, and the FRESH pasta and pizza was good as well. I saw some other reviews talking about a lack of fruit at the buffet… we always had lots. (Bananas, papaya, pineapple, etc.) We tried the Japanese, Tex-Mex and Romantico al a cartes, and they were fine, nothing too amazing. A nice change from the buffet though. I recommend booking these right away, to ensure you get a reservation. I believe it was 9:30 am each day that you could book the a la cartes. Our first day we went down at around 9:20, and were able to book before the line grew!
My husband did feel a bit sick one day, but threcovered pretty quickly! Not sure what it was from. We ate and drank just about everything. I didn't get sick at all.
Drinks were good and there was always a bar close by. I loved the mojitos and Blue Hawaiis. Kenzi at the pool bar was great, always making sure you were taken care of. If you are a coffee drinker, definitely hit up the lobby bar for the coffees there, they are delicious, and much better than the buffet coffee.

Service: Good. A bit inconsistent in the buffet, but I don’t mind taking care of myself if needed.

Entertainment: Excellent! We saw a few shows at the theatre and my husband participated in some of the pool games. The “Star Friends” were great, and encouraged people to participate without forcing people to join.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort to someone looking for a good option in Cuba. Great value for the price. The beach and the resort grounds were beautiful and clean. We really enjoyed our stay here, and I would definitely return to Cuba.

Room Tip: Request what you want ahead of time. We were in building 18 in a kingbed room facing the quiet pool...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank krhow

Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice and detailed review. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Should you choose our hotel, or some other Iberostar Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us. We feel honoured to welcome you again as our guests.Thank you also for taking the time to share your opinion with other travellers.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Me and my parents stayed at this resort from Feb 28 to March 7. From the moment we arrived at the hotel the place pleased us. It is beautiful and very clean. They let us go in the room even thought it wasn't completely ready so we could change. The pools and Jaccuzzis were very nice. The beach was beautiful and so was the water , so clear ! The food was better than expected. The A la carte restaurants were good. We went to the "Romantico" which was truly delicious ! The Italien was also great but the Cuban wasn't as good.

The animation in the resort was AMAZING !!! I'm a 18 years old girl and I was very happy to make some friends. The animation staff were so friendly and nice. They made me live great experiences. They were always so happy to see me and my parents. Always full of energy and smiling. I was always with them and they made my trip so much fun ! I would return to Laguna Azul in a heartbeat just to meet them again : Nayla, "Heineken", "Refael Nadal", "Chris Brown", "50 Cent" etc. They organized a lot of activities such as beach volley ball, pool volley ball, water polo, dance classed, spanish classes and more !

The rest of the staff was also very nice. Our maid always did some nice sculptures with the towels and the waiters were friendly. The shows at the theatre were very nice, for the dance shows it was similar but always nice to see. The dancers and singers were very skilled. The disco room was fun.

I keep very good memories of my vacation in this resort ! I highly recommend it to anyone (couples, families, friends etc.).

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family