“Beautiful property”

Ranked #30 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Bathurst, Canada
“Beautiful property”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

First time for me and my wife in Cuba. March 26 to April 02, 2013. We were a group of 7. We asked to be close proximity to each other and the front desk personnel were very accommodating and made it happen. Most of us enjoyed the food, some enjoyed a little less. The property is very clean, well landscaped, good animation and excellent night shows and a nice size resort, very close to the beach and the beach is well maintained. We were unfortunate to have 3 days of colder weather (17-18degrees Celsius) and it was harder to enjoy but once the heat came back we were happy again. The bar waiters and waitresses were always coming around to make sure we were well "hydrated". They were very respectful and polite.
The $5.00 all around bus trip to Varadero was fun...very crowded however and had to stand the whole way there but made the best of it and had fun. It is not much more expensive to take a cab if 4 people split the fare and you don't have to make all the resort stops, I would recommend the cab, its a few dollars more if you want a 1950's vehicle for nostalgia's sake! The prices downtown are very reasonable.
I have a recommendation to the hotel, "Please allow the Pool Chair cushions on the beach". The beach Lounge chairs are very hard plastic and its uncomfortable lying on them for a while. We liked the fact that we were not solicited by local peddlers on the beach which is different than Dom Republic. Our friends did a Small catamaran tour and really enjoyed it. Excellent quality-price ratio. As most Caribbean countries...things happen a little slower and ya gotta be patient...you will enjoy your trip if you do. Book your 'A la carte " restaurants upon arrival to not be disappointed...the most popular ones are always full. We ate at Japanese, Mexican, and Caribbean...enjoyed every one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Paul Alcia T
Director A, Manager at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Friends,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice review. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients. Should you choose our hotel, or some other Iberostar Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,278)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Great hotel, great location, great beach.....but AWFUL customers service the WORST!!!!!! I have ever experience so bad that I called my airline to try to get out if this place!! I am still here as I am writing this revie! Where should I start? # 1: if you like to drink water, forget it they give you one bottle per guest every three days, I had called front desk everyday since I been here and they always say the same thing; " yes of course someone will be right there" THEY never came, and when you call and complaint they just hung up on you, BELIVE IT! You go in person same thing nobody here cares! The stuff is snobbi and give you the cold shoulder, the food is not great i have been living on bread and water all week. Customer service at the worst!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Smaza
Director A, Manager at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear Friends,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your review. Priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction. We have taken all your comments and suggestion into consideration and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned points. However, if you decide, to visit us again in the near future, please do note hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Went with group of 9 to Iberostar Laguna Azul and just got back 2 days ago. This all inclusive resort is one of the newest hotels in Varadero. It's big, it's clean, but looks outdated.

Rooms and room service.
I had issues with stuff going missing. Minor stuff though like my traveller's size brand new tooth paste still in packaging, my friend's sunglasses and roughly 12 pesos were gone. They do a pretty good job cleaning. Tip them well and they'll give you lots of towels and stock water frequently. But they often forgot to restock beers and shower gel stuff. Make sure you tip every day not at the end. My other friend's room didn't know they were supposed to tip every day so... well obviously, they didn't get their stuff restocked nor did they get fancy swans and elephant blankets/towels made. Few things I really disliked about the rooms were 1. that they had this old weird stink as other reviewers here mentioned. 2. there were lots of little ants everywhere. 3. As I mentioned previously stuff did go missing. 4.my friend's room A/C broke down so their room flooded. Took the mechanics awhile to come even though room service said they'd come in right away.

Food and entertainment:
Iberostar Laguna Azul asks guests to fill out survey form. I checked off poor for food & entertainment and so guest services called me twice to ask me why so. Pasta sauce was thin, food was way too salty. Couldn't find lettuce for salad. Actually I once ordered a sandwich from the back pool and on the menu it said their vegetarian sandwich had lettuce in it but it didn't come with any. Their sushi was SWEET. Like sweet sweet. Pretty decent variety but horrible food for so called 4.5-5 star hotel.
On the bright side, servers were very very friendly. Especially on the survey day (well duh...) they were extra friendly. The day after the survey day breakfast team service was quite poor (coincidence?) and I ended up raging at one girl because no one would come to check on us.
Jenessa was my server few times. Her English isn't the best but she is a real big sweetheart. I ate pizza and pasta for dinner almost every day because Silvio and Carlos were always there to greet me (they are super friendly). At the back pool bar there's Kensi and Raymo ill never forget. Lovely guys. Randi the fifty cents (yes that's how he introduced his name) was a funny guy. Overall despite few bad Service here and there, these guys made my trip memorable and enjoyable. For future traveller's, i hope you get a chance to meet all those guys.
As for entertainment, magic show was cheesy 70's style kind of show. Staffs there try really hard to get guests to participate activities though which was quite nice. They have all sorts of different stuff going on every hour but overall I didn't enjoy them so much.

Tours - Habana trip & Jeep Safari.
On the orientation day, our group purchased Jeep Safari tour but decided to do Habana trip privately. Jeep Safari trip was definitely worth the $73. You get to drive your own jeep, visit natural cave, get a choice between snorkeling or massage, horseback riding, lunch, boat cruise etc. Make sure you bring change for tips in coins. Definitely recommend this one.
For old Habana ask the staff if they know any private tour guides. I got Hector as my driver and Mabelle as my guide. Mabelle is an English major graduate so her English is very very good. Hector didn't speak too much English but he tried and he was hilarious. I told Hector I loved mangoes so he even made a stop just to get me mangoes which I thought was very sweet. Mabelle is super intelligent and super nice. She only charged us $18 per person but we ended up giving her way more because she did such an amazing job. For lunch she took us to La Casa. Personally didn't really like the pork leg I ordered, but I stole some of the rabbit stew my friend ordered and that one was amazing. Alexandro, the owner of La Casa personally goes to every table and greets everyone. Great service and pretty good food.
I didn't go to catamaran cruise myself but my friends told me it wasn't worth the money. But everyone agreed jeep Safari was a good experience

Few other tips:
At old Havana people dressed up in fancy dress will grab you and tell you to get your friends to take pix with them.... And then they'll demand 10 pesos out of you so be careful.
Just say no thank you to people when they offer you goods to buy. They'll respect it and walk away. No super clingy beggars like Mexico.
Cigar factory I went to was not cheaper. I got a carton of cohiba cigarettes for 25. It was 18 at the resort and the airport. Same for cigars airport was a lot cheaper so try not to buy your goods at Habana.

Overall I enjoyed the trip but wouldn't come back again. Personally felt that Mexico 5 star was more worth it. Trip to Cuba was definitely memorable though. Especially thanks to the people I met there whom made my trip super amazing. I didn't think the resort was worth the money I spent. Especially because they didn't have free wifi. But oh wells, guess I can't expect too much when they still have the embargo on them.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Minajenn

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2013

As part of our package to Cuba, we stayed at this hotel from: 2013.Jun.30 - Jul.04.

Prior to our trip, our travel agent asked if we wanted to be closer to the main building or further away and we chose further away to be far from any noise.

At around 16:30 hours, we checked with only two other families ahead of us, we didn't wait long. Our check-in guy, Santos told us briefly about the amenities and advised us of specialty dining.

This being our first time in Cuba, I had no idea what specialty dining was all about.

Basically, depending on your length of stay, you get to eat at their non-buffet, a la carte restaurants. They have three, Japanese, Cuban, or Italian. As we had a 4 night stay, we had 2 reservations available.

Santos also advised that I would need pants, which I had not packed or planned to have packed! Luckily for me, Santos was nice enough to say that he would bring me pants!

* * Tip #1: bring pants! Which brings me to:

* * Tip #2: book the specialty dining after you check-in, we booked late (the next day) and as a result only got to make 1 reservation at the Cuban restaurant. I heard from a friend after I got back from Cuba, that all you have to do is show up at the specialty dining and tip the greeter/reservation waiter and they'll seat you.

Santos gave us room 20221 (building 20, floor 2, room 21). This building was exactly what we wanted, it's the furthest from their theatre and probably the quietest. See the map photo I posted.

We were also given an information sheet that outlined, amongst other things, the dining hours available. Feeling very hungry, but with nothing open until 18:30 hours, it was suggested to us to go to our rooms and order room service!

We walked to our room, it was clean and stocked with essential toiletries (except toothbrush and toothpaste). And just for you, FidelCastro1941, the hairdryer worked, had only one setting and was described as "adequate" according to my wife.

We had a balcony with chairs, this room may have been termed "ocean view" as a selling point, but because of the trees and being only on the 2nd floor, the view seaward isn't that good. I would say there's no need to upgrade from the 1st to 3rd floor.

So we ordered some food, specifically, 2 pizzas, a sandwich (comes with fries), plate of fruit and dessert.

While waiting we decided to shower. The large tub had a soap and shampoo dispenser, with no soap. We thought this was simply overlooked and would be corrected with the next room cleaning/maid service. We were wrong, for our entire stay, it was never re-filled and we think we figured out why.

After speaking to other hotel guests, it seems that every room is missing something, be it towels, soap gel, or toilet paper. Then when you ask for someone to bring it to you, they'll expect a tip. So they set up the room with the expectation of coming by to "assist" you and get some money while they're at it.

I suggest calling the front desk and asking why the room is missing whatever it is you need and then exclaiming that such a well-recommended establishment shouldn't be making such mistakes.

Maybe then they'll put more pressure on room staff to put things right. I would not tip someone bringing me toilet paper when the room should already have it in the first place.

Our sink plug was loose and required manual insertion and removal. Our toilet was of the water-saving type with dual flush mode, strangely, the lighter flush did not work and upon inspection, the button's stem under the lid was broken. No big deal as we just used the large flush, wasting water along the way. I had no intention of asking them to fix it and whoever fixing it wanting a tip.

Anyway, our food arrived in about 15 minutes and while the sandwich and fries were pretty good, the pizzas tasted like the ones from the frozen food section and microwaved. Ugh..

The papaya fruit was good, but the pineapple was quite tasteless. Dessert was so-so, we'd probably try something else next time. Nonetheless, because we were so hungry, we polished off all the food along with 2 beers. See photo.

The ceiling fan has only one speed of high, it's not adjustable, so we turned it off and relied on the air conditioning to keep things cool which it did a fine job of.

The crt tv had about 30 channels including CTV and CNN which we watched most of the time along with some soccer. There are movies, but they're in Spanish.

* * Tip #3: bring a laptop and if possible a composite adapter (red, yellow, white) to play your DVDs to the tv.

After eating, we went to the beach which had a wide shore. The sand is not very fine and it felt like there were lots of shell bits in it. It was okay for walking through, but not so much for running, which if you do, run closer to the water where there are less shells.

The water looked clean and it was pretty shallow out to a fair distance. The beach connects to other hotels close by. There didn't appear to be much marine life close to shore except one large white/silver fish and a small school of black fish that my wife observed while sitting in the sea.

A separate company is allowed to ply it's business of paddle boats, kayaks, catamaran and windsurfing. We got to go out on the catamaran on two separate days, one with less wind and the second with wind. It's obviously much more fun with wind, but what's strange is that if it's too windy, they close up shop and leave.

So if it's too windy in the morning, they leave and if it's nicer in the afternoon, they're already gone and everything is locked up with a cable lock. It's really hit and miss with these guys, get to them early, when they start, which is at 09:30 hours.

They also offer snorkelling, we were told by our tour guide it was $30 / person, but the guy offered it to us for $15 CUC. Make sure to bargain. A family went snorkelling and they told me that they really enjoyed it.

I asked about windsurfing (I have no experience whatsoever) and they asked me to sign a waiver stating that any damage incurred would be paid by myself. I declined, better to take a lesson. I only saw one windsurfing board/sail available.

The fixed position umbrellas are further from the shore line and people grab up the front row and the ones closest to the bar fastest.

* * Tip #4: bring a large insulated mug, so that you won't have to keep walking back and forth to the bar to get a tiny plastic cup drink. Another scheme to get more tips, make small drinks and have people coming more often. These drink cups can be finished in 2 gulps.

The beach also had a volleyball net and lines setup. Volleyball starts at 11:00 daily and everyday without fail there'd always be a game going. As an advanced, occasional player, I enjoyed myself but it certainly wasn't a bump, set and spike type of game.

Secondly, the rough sand and shell pieces gave me bleeding scrapes to both knees, both elbows and a toe. Other advanced players ended up with some cuts as well. If you enjoy volleyball, this hotel is a good spot for it. A walk to other hotels with volleyball nets during the same time showed nobody playing and a group of people from another resort were consistently coming over to play as well.

Closer to the main building are other activities such as darts, ping pong, tennis, and books to lend.

We tried doing laps in the pool closer to our room building and you can, by maximizing the length and making a straight line from one end to the other, but you'll have to consciously keep track of you direction as there won't be any guidelines.

The other problem is the taste of the water, not a big deal when you're having fun in the pool, but when it comes to training, it's a deal-breaker. My wife lasted about 9 minutes when she couldn't take it anymore. I could have swam a bit longer, but I wasn't happy withe the taste either.

We went into the hot tub by the pool, it was warm for a few minutes and then it was pointlessly tepid, then cool and we had to get out because we felt we would have gotten a cold staying in it for too long. Maybe the other hot tubs are better?

The food selection at this resort is large and varied and not as bad as people say Cuba food is. However, what's strange is that the quality of the food doesn't seem as good as the quality of their hotel in Havana.

The juice here is greatly watered down and for some reason, a lot of food seems to have vinegar in it. If you're a vegetarian, you won't be a happy person, but you'll survive.

I found the squid and mussels they had were really good as well as the mango.

We bought a postcard from the souvenir shop and the lady there shortchanged me 5 cents CUC, no big deal, I let it slide. It's unfortunate that money is such a driving factor.

The hotel store with clothes, alcohol, and other necessities didn't seem as expensive as the stories I heard. What appeared to me to be a regular sized bottle of sunblock was $10 and not $30 that other people had told me. Even so, bring your own to begin with.

On the last day of our stay, prior to our departure, the resort allows you to use a complimentary room to shower in so you don't leave all sweaty and sticky. We asked for a room and it had no soap, shampoo or toiletries. At least, it had toilet paper.

A family we met had also asked for a complimentary room to use and it didn't have anything at all, not even toilet paper! Another attempt at getting a tip, I suppose. The father of the family said that this trip to Cuba had been his worst ever and he'd been to Cuba 5 or 6 times. He was travelling with a family of 6, so that may have complicated things greatly.

Overall, other than rooms always missing something, a great resort.

Room Tip: Building #20 is furthest from all the noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank easyHwolf

Milton keynes
Reviewed July 29, 2013

stayed 9th July 2 weeks,with 1st choice rep Tania was fantastic problems with room she got us changed following day. hotel, drinks, food, entertainment,excellent plenty of choices of food , even if your fussy you will find something, al a cart meals fantastic Italian ,Cuban and the Japanese . All staff including the gardeners where very welcoming Evening entertainment excellent different shows every night professional shows , daily entertainment was also good ,don't forget to see to watch the water ballet in the main pool, don't worry if your on the beach all day entertainment there too. salsa lessons, volley ball and the entertainment staff come around to let you know the evenings entertainment .white wine is good beer ok try cocktails especially zombie yummy and the rum and coke .Open top bus to Valeredo aprox £4 return per person hop on and off all day, cash machine at the shopping centre Las American, Jeep safari brilliant £57 pp. Havana overnight and Pina including Tropicana show great £143pp boat and dolphin swim £59 pp half day trip really good. approx. 1.40 peso to £1. lots of gifts to buy made of Cuban wood are lovely and cheap. Hope you have a great time as we did recommend the iberostar laguna Azul, enjoy,

Room Tip: 3rd floor block 19 facing outer pool is quite with nice views of pool, also same level as lobbybar a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Diane246

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed at the Iberostar Laguna Azul for 2 weeks in June/July 2013. Our room was great, situated at the end of a block with a view of the pool and the sea. Our room was very nice with a large bathroom and the room very spacious too. Air conditioned rooms with a mini bar that was re-filled every 2/3 days with water, cola, orange, lemonade and beers. The only small complaint about the rooms was the bedding constantly felt damp but this was the humidity and nothing could have been done about this. Most staff very friendly with the very odd exception. Food was good, very fresh and tasty. We enjoyed the fresh Shrimp and muscles.

Overall a great first stay in Cuba and would go back in a flash.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

kelowna
Reviewed July 26, 2013

January 25-February 8, 2013
The food in the buffet and the La Carte Restaurant were excellent. the staff (Felix, Daniel, Leyder, Yoel, and Yewisandra were very friendly and helpful. beautiful grounds and well maintained rooms were very nice and keep spotless. the Entertainment was excellent. My wife and I loved the resort.
Would come back.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floor, are great. And stay away from the main dining room, noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple