“Wedding at Resort Feb 19 2013”

IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul
Ranked #28 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We just got back from this resort (Feb 16-23) and I must say, we had a GREAT time. All 21 guests at our wedding were happy with the vacation at this resort. Server Kenzie was always there to bring drinks and a smile.

Wedding Coordinator Giselle, was amazing and provided the most beautiful, stress-free wedding on the beach, complete with a private dinner reception on the gazebo's. Would do it again in a heart-beat.

Resort, VERY CLEAN!!!

Food good, but not always very warm. Lots of variety though!!!

Lots to do. Great Circus Show and Magic Show. A show at the theater every night!

Rooms, Grounds, Beach and Pools kept beautifully.

I would highly recommend this resort!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Emily R
Director A, Manager at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear Friends,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice review. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients. Should you choose our hotel, or some other Iberostar Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My fiance, and 2 friends didn't stay at this resort, but went down for a wedding. First let me say, that we tried to stay there, but it sold out, and we couldn't get any rooms. I was the maid of honor at the wedding. My cousin was getting married, and she paid $2000 per person for her room, $2200 for the wedding package, $900 for the photographer, $400.00 for the wedding dinner & $400.00 to rent out the disco for 2 hours for the first dance. After all the money she was paying, you would think that the hotel would be accomidating, but they were not. We had to go to the Ibersotar Laguna Azul for the rehearsal dinner and for the entire day of the wedding. When we went for the rehearsal dinner, they wanted us to pay $60.00 per person just to be there for dinner! If I was just some person who wanted to come over to the resort, I get it, make me pay, but after she paid all this money to get married there, they were not willing to give her a break at all???? We ended up paying, and at the end of the night, just as we were about to leave, we were standing in the lobby, took our temporary day pass off, (I will add here, that my cousin had been there for a week already, and they ran out of bands, so she didn't wear one the entire time she stayed there, along with a few others who were there for the wedding!) and were saying goodbye to people. The security litterally rushed us and started yelling that we couldn't be there and telling us to get the (--) out! I showed them our wrist bands, but the pushed us and insisted we leave. We talked to the woman at the front desk who we paid and she explained to the security that we did indeed pay. The next day we came back for the wedding, we drove through security gate in a cab and there was no one there, so we didn't stop. When we got to the front entrance a staff member came running out and held the doors closed on the cab and would not let us out. He was yelling at the cab driver to go back to security and he will send someone there. We went back to security, drove through, they said go ahead and we drove right back up to the entrance. We again had to pay for the day. The resort is beautiful, specially for a wedding, but I couldn't believe how the staff acted. The resort we stayed at was the Melia Las Antiallas, which wasn't as pretty as the Iberostar Laguna Azul, but I would give it a way higher rating just because of the staff alone. I would NEVER stay at this resort, and am glad that we couldn't get a room to begin with.

5  Thank Canada_MexicoBlondie

Dear Friends,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your review. However, we feel sorry that our hotel was not up to your expectation. We assure you that improvement, in all our services are an ongoing process and our priority is guest satisfaction. We do hope, to have another opportunity in the near future, to make your holiday unforgettable. If you decide to give us another chance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Ten members of our family just returned from a 7 day vacation in Cuba on February 23rd, 2013. We stayed at the Iberostra Laguna Azul and had a wonderful time. The resort itself is beautiful but does need a bit of maintenance in the rooms (broken shower heads, telephone did not work). However, any of these minor inconveniences were overshadowed by the wonderful service of the staff at the hotel. There are a few who deserve some special mention including Iallen and Roli who work in the buffet and lobby bar, Barbarita who works in the lobby bar and Kenzie who served us at the pool everyday. While the staff in general were friendly and helpful, these four in particular made our stay memorable and will keep us coming back. Roli is a keeper! This was our 4th time in Cuba and 4th resort and this by far was our favourite. Thanks for the wonderful memories.......

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Barb124
Director A, Manager at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We spent five days at the Laguna Azul, a hotel which I would highly recommend. The staff was lovely, always smiling and never making you feel that you had to tip them.

We only eat vegetarian food and the salad buffet was a paradise for us. We subsisted on vegetables and fruit the entire time and we were able to have staff cook fish for us wrapped in foil at one of the specialty restaurants.

The only negative things were that the pool is not heated so was really to cold to swim and the room was damp and had a musty odor.. However, this is often the case in Caribbean countries

Room Tip: Buildings 18,19 and 20 face a "quiet" pool but are a mere 3 minute walk to the action
2  Thank joannkf1234

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We vacationed here from Feb9-16, 2013 and just loved it. At first I thought the resort was large but after a couple of days...not at all. You could walk to all restaurants and there was a choice of pools depending on the mood one was in. The staff was great, the rooms were clean, the beach was beautiful and he resort itself was spectacular. We met some great people. The Japanese a la carte was the best so be sure to book. You will not be disappointed. The main lunch buffet is the best. I realized this on my last day. I am vegetarian and had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever finding food. My husband is not and he also thought the food was good. Totally enjoyed everything and would go back.

Room Tip: Not near the disco if you don't want noise. Also we were on the third floor and found it tiring...
1  Thank hcwindsor

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this resort for one week. It is a nice place with nice and friendly staff.

Overall it offers a good value for the buck and we had a great time there. However there is room for improvement.

The resort is in a good location with rather quick access to the city and the water activities (that are located on two opposite ends. It had a nice powdery sand beach. We found nice spots in the shade with relative ease and did not have to race to secure one early in the morning (and it was pretty much the same around the main pool). The staff were very nice and friendly and responded to you with a smile, except for the swim up bartenders which I found them with lots of attitude. The night entertainments were nice and they put together nice shows and entertainments. The entertainment team were very talented, however you'd see them almost every night, performing a different show each time.

The pool area looks nice and the swim up bar offered a variety of drinks and cocktails.

The room quality was average. The bed mattress was old and not very comfortable. The bathroom was very very average. The closet had a very strong wood/mould maybe??? smell and all our clothes got quite stinky. We ran into quite a few challenges in our room(s) during our stay: Yes, I mentioned room"S" because after about 15 minutes into unpacking and turning the ceiling fan on, the fan made a large "POPING" noise and started to shake vigorously we thought it'd fly off any second. It was so scary neither of us dared going under it where the switch was to turn it off (and no, neither of us are that much fussy/iffy either!!) The issue was so bad that after waiting for the technician for almost half an hour, they told us that the unit needed a replacement and we have to move to a different room! (You can imagine how much fun repacking and unpacking the luggages must have been...) and in our second room, (yes, the story continues) we had to call the technician in yet again, to deal with the mini fridge that was growling real LOOOOOUD (It was so bad an loud that I had to wrestle with the freaking thing in the middle of the night just to be able to unplug it and they ended up carrying it out with a dolly the next day and replacing it with a new one!)

Of the variety of excursions available, we tried the Catamaran, trip to Havana and the Jeep Safari. They were all awesome! Being in Cuba for the first time, the trip to the capital city was very exciting. The scenery (yes including the vintage cars, and lots and lots of them!) was magnificent and very unique with lots and lots of places to see one day or even a week is not adequate enough for...

The Catamaran was in top shape and the crew were super nice. A delightful and relaxing experience enjoying all shades of blue, from the deep see to the reef shores and the sky.

The jeep safari was also very special! getting the chance to go site seeing (including the reef snorkelling, the river plunge and going to a farm and trying the super yummy FRESH sugar cane juice! while driving your own car was out of this world. Very exciting and entertaining.

However... ;) the main lobby is open air and not air conditioned. It became even more inconvenient during a heavy tropical rain when lots of water started to stream inside and you could see couple staff with their mops trying to battle (of the losing kind) with the force of nature.

The food was ok but the Cuban version. Make sure to set your expectations accordingly!

One very inconvenient challenge that we had was: the beach towels :( that dreaded towel card, plus the fact that the fresh towels were not alway available and even for two days they asked us to deal with the damp ones in hand, simply because the delivery truck was lost somewhere in Cuba and had not showed up (and I kid you not, this was their explanation) was rather very inconvenient.

Overall it is a nice and above average resort to stay and its pros do outshine the cons in general. But the cons are there and surface every once in a while!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Art M

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was at Iberostar Laguna Azul from February 10-17 for a friends wedding. The weather was about 32C the first few days, and then rainy and windy on the last day and a half. We were there with 52 people total and flew in with Sunwing (which by the way was a trainwreck and I would NOT recommend going with them. We were delayed 8 hours in Toronto and I had problems that delayed me from going home on the way back by 3 hours because of terrible customer service. DO NOT FLY SUNWING)

FOOD
As far as I’m concerned, great quality considering it’s Cuba!
Breakfast: Breakfast buffet was good although the scrambled eggs were a bit runny. I prefered the buffet in the large food building near the ice cream shack.
Lunch: Snack bar all the way!! Pizza, fries, pasta, sandwiches.
Dinner: The dinner buffet was great. We ate there 3 nights. Lots of variety, fresh cooked in front of you, and always seating available. We had 3 a la cartes. Cuban was lobster and disappointing considering we were IN Cuba. Tex Mex was wonderful! My friend had beef and I had fish. Both very happy. International was also great. We had the steak and it was cooked perfectly.

STAFF

Everyone was very warm and welcoming. The front desk staff was not as bad as everyone says but definitely not the friendliest. We had to go to the front desk 4 times on the day of the wedding because we blew a fuse and nothing worked in our room and we needed to get ready. Bartender at the pool bar was great if you tipped, not so great if you didn't. Waiters/waitresses at buffet and restaurants were wonderful.

POOL/BEACH

The beach was great, white sand and clear water.
We had a quiet pool in the back of our room, but being with a large group spent most days at the main pool right by the pool bar. Always available chairs which was wonderful. Water was a nice temperature. Waiters coming around to take drink orders from your chair.

ROOM

Probably one of the nicer rooms I've stayed in Cuba. Two beds (or one King), a couch, table, TV, etc. Nice big washroom. They refill your mini fridge every two days. We started with four towels but after the first day were limited to two. We were on the main floor with our patio looking at the quiet pool. It took us a day or two to get used to the layout of the buildings to find our room but once we did it was alright. We were building 18 which was great.

ENTERTAINMENT

I did not go to any shows but did hear good things. Poolside entertainment with dancing and games but nothing to write home about. They played games where you could win a bottle of rum. We went to the disco the night of the wedding and it was packed and lots of fun.

EXTRAS

We paid 101 pesos for the catamaran trip. I had done it before and loved it. Our bus was an hour late picking us up from the resort so the day did not start off well but got better once we got on the way. Great music and engaging hosts on the catamaran. The catamaran fit about 60 people, had an open bar. We stopped in the middle of the ocean to snorkel in a coral reef. Lunch was lobster, shrimp, french fries and rice on a gorgeous white sand beach. Postcard perfect. Had approximately 1 hour of beach time since we got there late. Got to go in the water with dolphins and pet them and get kissed. Really cool! Overall, fantastic day and highly reccomended!

EXTRA
Towels and safe are free which is great! I didn’t feel that pressured to tip as many people on here say. It didn’t seem to make a difference at the bars or in our room. Took a few small things for the maid (shampoo, soap, toothbrushes) but that was it. There were little booths set up around with great Cuban treasures and jewelery you could take hom.

OVERALL

This resort was one of the nicest I've stayed in Cuba. Very clean and welcoming. Nice room and good food. I'd rate it a 4+ instead of a 5 but still wonderful. Overall great vacation and if you are looking to go to Varadero, definitely the place to go.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Director A, Manager at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013