“Great week”

IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul
Ranked #28 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Beautiful site, very clean, restaurant food excellent, buffet very good, lots of choices.
Staff very friendly and helpful
Special thanks to PAVEL, ALFREDO AND GEIDI AT THE CIGAR BAR,
ARIEL, MAYRIAM, CUBA AND YOSNIEL at the ranchon playa
XENICEI AND YOKAIKIS at the bar swimmimg pool
as well as GAVIOTA that kept every washroom so clean
We will return next fall.
France and Jacques

3  Thank Jacques D
Director A, Manager at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear Friends,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice review. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients. Should you choose our hotel, or some other Iberostar Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

There are newer reviews for IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just returned from an AMAZING trip at Laguna Azul. Our room had an amazing view overlooking the pool and ocean. Our maid was extremely polite and sweet leaving us little notes daily. The staff at the bars and restaurants were attentive and always greeted us with smiles. they would see us coming an seat us in our usual seats. The shows were very entertaining. The best drinks in the hotel were made in the Lobby bar. It became our nightly routine to stop in for iced cappuccinos after dinner. The international restaurant was by far the best food. Great pools and beaches, would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaside room. It seems they put a lot of younger travellers in block 15 facing the pool as...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank fentonsh

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We have just returned sunday 7th october from cuba veradero,first time in cuba a good experince.When we got there i asked for a good room location because i overheard another couple complaining at the reception about their room,when we got to the room it was on ground floor with seperate beds in block 19,the shower kept slipping down & spraying every where so i complained to reception they said stay there the night and we will move you next day they gave us a nice room in block 11, 2nd floor very much diffrent with a king size bed,tooth brush and shaving kit with all extras.The fridge was not working they replaced it straight away.Food was kind of ok very bland well that's cuba.Maid was excellent kept the room clean and fresh towells everyday not one but four.Lobby bar was excellent, Addele & aevel bar staff were very good entertained us with all difrrent kinds of coacktails we spent most evenings there.The theater was very smoky and hot, entertaintment was good.The a la carte restaurents cuban was rubbish we had to fight with lobster to get the meat out and tasteless,the gourme romantic was excellent.allthough we always got beds around the pool but no cushions also none at beach beds very hard on your back,I found if you tip the staff everytime they looked after you better, one paiso was normal which is 80pence, on daily basis you would end up spending about 10pounds on tips although you are on all inclusive,we paid a lot of money for this Hollidy so i was not at all happy about this i think they should pay the staff better money instead of relying on tipps.Overall good resort but not value for money if you can get a chiph deal then its Ok.Weathere was excellent in october very hot we went around in opentop bus for 5paiso it lasted all day.The excersion we went on was not worth the money was called Sugar & steam the train trip which was included got canclled on the day so it was waste of time.

Room Tip: rooms on upper levels in block 11 facing the pool with king size beds
6  Thank arv26

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I just returned yesterday from my 4th trip to Cuba. I have been to Varadero a few times before and never stayed at this resort and this was by far my best experience. The Iberostar Laguna Azul, is the nicest resort in Varadero. It is a 5 star... Cuba style. The rooms are nice but average... I would of liked to see a separate shower in the bathrooms. The fridge was restocked daily with beers and bottled water. The hotel is clean... just noticed a few tinny ants in the bathroom near the end of our trip. The entire staff at the resorts are really nice and friendly. I can only remember a few names of the many we meet last week. Dorilla at the pool bar is a sweetheart, she was the kindest lady I have meet she made our pool days very pleasant. The moment she would see us come along she would great us and with out even asking would bring us our usual drinks. The entertainment group are great. Lilly she was so funny always in a great mood and had us always laughing. All the guys where "EXCELLENTE" ... sorry I can't seem to remember all their names there were so many. Santos at the front desk exchange counter is the sweetest man ever. He was very helpful through out our stay. Buying alcohol and cigars is cheapest at the airport... well it's actually the same prices then at the Varadero mall add the cost of the transportation and you are better off getting them at your departure. The beach is beautiful... just that the chairs do not have a cushions so it can get a little uncomfortable. The pool is clean... and you have the option of cushions but you have to request them. The few times we remembered and I have to say I was a bit turned off, not the cleanest looking things. The food well its CUBA... we were all safe eating mostly bread, rice, potatoes, eggs, beans, chicken and cooked fish. The Cuba restaurant is the only restaurant that you will get Lobster Tall. It was the most enjoyable restaurant with reservations. The Thai restaurant was average a bit salty... its entertaining seeing the chef cook in front of you and at the same time it's really HOT in there with the grill going. We did not try the Italian considering our backgrounds we are going to be disappointed. The French restaurants was good... the proposition are relatively small. We did enjoy getting creative in the buffet... the chefs doing the stations are willing to twist things up. None of us 4 got sick over the food... alcohol well that is an other story. Over all it was a great trip... by the end of it you will be singing "HEY BABY" and return with some great memories.

5  Thank Sabrina D D

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Laguna Azul is definitely one of the most impressive hotels on the Varadero peninsular and it did not let us down during our stay.

The first room we were assigned - 19218 absolutely stank. A thick, musty damp smell and mould on the sofa and curtains. A quick visit to reception and we were given a much better room in block 12 with a sea view. Our maid Yakilin kept our room spotless with fresh towels everyday and an assortment of towel creations as well as little notes, adding a personal touch. Leave tips for the housekeeping - and for the women, sanitary products which are near impossible to get in Cuba.

The mini-bar is just that - sparse. One 1.5ltr bottle of water, 4 cans of beer and 3 cans of fizzy pop. The restocking was also random and never fully restocked.

We always got beds around the pools and on the beach - only gripe was trying to get cushions for the sunbeds as they are somewhat uncomfortable without them. Fresh towels were also available everyday.

The food was fine - you have to remember that Cuba is subject to trade embargos so the food isn't always the best. Lots of lovely shellfish and vegetables. Salad is a bit hit and miss. We dined at all of the a la carte restaurants. The Gourmet/Romantic was the best and the Italian was the worst. Booking these were easy and we never had any problems.

The lobby bar was ok but we preferred the bar in the lobby where it was a bit more enclosed. Drinks very good and unlike some other all inclusive, premium spirits are included.

The staff here work so hard and when you leave Varadero peninsular you will realise how poor the country is so believe me that all tips are gratefully received.

Tip for when you leave the hotel - take some toilet roll and antibacterial handwash with you. Hygiene is not the best. I've been poorly with a very bad stomach since the day I returned and think it was something I ate outside of the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to avoid floors one and two. Get a room looking out to the quiet pool or the animation pool as t...
1  Thank vicky_c_1982

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Like I mentioned, flies were a big concern around the food and utensils in both cafeteria and beach restaurant, can't comment about the le-cartes because i didn't book any. They never seem to close the doors. At the beach restaurant they had the black birds eating at the food when no one was around. Gross. those things ARE the disease spreaders. they had their feet and beaks in the food. Lots of ants and little spiders in the room but weren't a bother for me. Food selection was OK but could be better. Main service was great after we've complained that we had no soap to wash hands or paper towels. In our friend's room we found bar soap, shower cap and other items we didn't have and wished we did. They also put our single friend in a room with double beds and me and my bf in a smaller room with one single bed. A strange place this resort, I tell ya. Besides that everything else was great, I had a good time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank wildcancer

Dear Friends,

Hotel staff is working day by day in order to solve the situation with the birds and flies.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Food was pretty good but I found the hot food warm and the cold food warm, however the selection was amazing. On the whole I found the waiters and waitresses extremely accomodating, and always smiling. I had one issue were I'd booked a massage for my girlfriend and I and had stipulated a 30 min session,very very time sensitive, and stretched on and before I realised it was upto 3/4 hour, which I didn't want and made me late for somethiing. When I realised what had happened later, I went to the Front desk and explained my concern at being charged for longer than I had planned, and my displeasure, diplomatically of course. This took a couple of visits but was assured that it was taken care of. However at checking out time I found this was not the case and when I raised the issue with the girl checking us out, she became very agitated and even threatened that we would not be able to leave Cuba if we did not pay for this service. Funny really but not what I expected. The one lesson I learnt about this was that do not sign the chit for the massage until after the massage is completed. It had been presented upon my arrival at the spa for signature. We're looking throughout the Carribean for a place to Wed. This place is off the list now solely because of the check out incident

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra for a sea view. I needed to be more flexible than I am to see mine...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Steve M

Dear Friends,

Regarding your incident with the SPA bil, let us know you that front desk only charges what SPA charges signed always by guests.