“FANTASTIC. FORGET THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS. EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME!”

IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul
Ranked #27 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
London, Canada
“FANTASTIC. FORGET THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS. EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME!”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

First things first: Forget the negative reviews. I honestly believe the people who criticized the food, the rooms, etc. are a little nit-picky (no offense!) Everything was FANTASTIC.
Firstly, the rooms are great. Very spacious, clean, full bathroom, TV, etc. The balcony alone made the room! It overlooks the whole resort and is nice to sit on and read in the shade. :) Again, the rooms are spacious and the hotel is not too crowded.
Secondly: food. The buffet had so much variety. There is something there for everyone. Everything from sushi to chicken to pizza to fries to Cuban food....for the really picky eaters or small children there are even sandwich supplies, hot dogs and burgers :)
Next is the service. Cubans are the best people anywhere. The waiters and waitresses are incredibly nice and helpful; they do so much for so little with huge smiles. Make sure to bring money for tips, they deserve them! Ask for Raul at the buffet; he is as warm and welcoming as an old friend.
Entertainment is incredible. Everything is included. The dancers are spectacular, as are the singers and hosts. This is NOT amateur talent; these guys are worthy of America's Got Talent. Shows also varied incredibly. We saw magic, Lion King Musical, Vegas Night, and Cuban Night themed shows all in one week. These people are so talented.
The disco was great! Awesome music and fun, exciting atmosphere. We went every night for a week! :)
As for the pools, there are several. Our favourite one had a waterfall with a shaded area to sit underneath. There was music playing and poolside dance lessons, and also water aerobics and games. They really try to get people active! :) One thing to note: People complain that towels run out fast...but that's because people were being careless and exchanging them far too often, rather than leaving them on the chair to dry as they would normally. So those complaints are not fair! Anyways, there is also a swim-up bar. If you want a quieter atmosphere, there are other pools to choose from.
As for the beach, the water was clear, blue and the perfect temperature that we Canadians never get! Also, the sand was clean, and you will have no trouble finding a chair and a mini tiki shaded area to sit. There are many activities, such as a boat ride, paddle boats, and snorkelling. Also, food and drink is two mintues away and your plates can be brought to the beach and eaten there. The beach is very clean though; there are spots to get rid of dishes.
One night, there was a beach party with music and drink on the beach. It was quite an experience to dance under the stars!
All in all, the experience was so fabulous. Just understand that you are going to a different country, so there will be small differences. It is hot during the day, water pressure might be less than you're used to, but air conditioning keeps everything cool. Definitely recommend this; the price is amazing for the experience you receive :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank holagurrrl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,268)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Saskatchewan
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Feb 2009 was our first trip to Cuba. It was SO horrible that my husband said NEVER again would he go back. I new it was because of the resort and wanted to go back and give it a second chance. So that is what we did, my 18 yr old son & I as my husband was still adament not to go back to Cuba.

So here I was a lady travelling with a teenage boy to Cuba. I had so many thoughts going through my head. Well we flew with SunWing again and still have nothing but good to say about them. We arrived in Varadero and was welcomed with the amazing heat. (We left -34 and 4' snow banks at home). The airport was smooth and so was the shuttle to the resort.

We arrive to the resort...or shall I say Cuba's Mansion. It is absolutely breathtaking!!! Check in went smoothly. Only issue was that the Money Exchange was closed when we arrived so we had no CUC's to give or bell hop. Being in Cuba before I know they appreciate "giftie items" rather than money. So I was able to find something to give him.

Our room was perfect! Huge with 2 little bit larger than single beds, a swarm of pillows, night stands, couch, table, dressing table, dresser, armoir, TV, mini bar stocked with water and soft drinks, coffee pot, 2 robes, umberella and a beautiful bathroom with large corner tub/shower. Also our balcony overlooked part of the beautiful gardens.

Being with an 18yr old boy we had to find FOOD. He found the 24 hour snack bar which was ok to me but my son was in heaven. They made pizza which only had sauce & cheese, hamburgers, hotdogs, fries. They said open 24 hours and they were. My son woud be there at all strange hours of the day or night.

Staff made note that I was there with only my son and no husband and they seemed to go out of their way to make sure we were ok. They were always calling Matthew (my son) to come and join in activites which he liked. I never at all felt unsafe or CRAZY for going without my husband.

Food at the buffet was great. For me I found the pasta station and frequented it daily. There was a large selection for any appetite. The beverages were tasty as well. Since I was solely responsible for my son in a far away country I did totally contain myself from quenching my thirst all the time :D

We were allowed to go to 3 a'la carte. We chose the Steak house, Romantico & Japanese. At the Steak house I had a huge steak that covered my plate (literally covered) while Matthew chose some disgusting lobster thing. He said it was good, to me all seafoody things are gross other than the typical fish & chips. The Romantico was set up very elegantly and yes it could be romantic if you weren't their as a mom/son date. Food was good and displayed beautifully. The Japanese was both our favorites. You are seated arounda grill with 7 other people ( a total of 8) and you are given a personal chef. He prepares your meal right in front of you. He was very interactive and even juggled his cooking utensil. He then called my son up to juggle with him. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Japanese a'la carte to everyone!!!

Entertainment was very good. The first nights show, Matthew didn't want to go but I insisted. Well he was reminding me about the next nights show as he didn't want to miss it. There was lots of variety from, typical show girl dances, to circus acts, to Michael Jackson performance, to even a magic show. All was wonderful.

We didn't do anything for excursions other than take the double decker bus into town. There we did a little bit of shopping. Most of all that is were we handed out so many things to the locals. They are so very thankful and appreciative. We received hugs and even saw a couple tears. My son took one whole suitcase full of clothes he out grew and handed them out. He even said he wasn't expecting to feel all warm and fuzzy inside :D hehehe an 18-yr old tough guy with feelings!

My only regret with this holiday was that my husband was stubborn and refused to come along. I know for a fact that he would have a new outlook for Cuba after staying here.

Room Tip: I left a little bag on the bed filled with things like pantyhose, jewellery, stationary, toothbrush...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank murandjo
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Excellent service from all members of staff they cannot do enough to please you. Room was extremeley spacious for 2 adults & 1 child. Location exactly what we wanted nice & peacfull when you wanted it to be. Best of all was the beach & pools - heaven, just like you see in the brochures & postcards.

Room Tip: Room 18110 ground floor overlooking a quiet pool. Main pool is far to noisy in the daytime too much...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank SuperCoops2205
toronto
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This was my first trip to cuba. I had arrived july 26- aug 2 with my two children ages 4 and 9.
Let's start off with the positive points.
I stayed at room 17406.
House keeping was super clean, left me plenty of water. My room was cleaned before noon.
King size bed was comfortable.
Room smelled pleasant, large tub, excellent water pressure. Really, no complaints.
Surprisingly, the temperature of the ocean was warm.
Most of the staff provide above average service. I did notice the further back in the dinning room we sat, the crappier the service. I was not offered a beverage for at least 15 minutes until the floor supervisor noticed. The service staff were in there service area yapping away. There section was filled with no more than 3 tables.
Lucy's club was always very enteratin. There were clown and magic shows.

The negative points.
What annoyed me most was those damm flies. They were practically dinning with us. They tend to sit on the white table clothes and land on your food.
The buffet was repeitive. I lived off cucumber, tomato, bread and pasta.
The worst resort food i have had yet.
We had to wait for the pool attendent to provide us with a cushion for our sun chairs.
If you are in need of more information. Please feel free to send me a message.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank chefwin
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We went to Sharm last year and this year we wanted another sunny vacation! what a great pick! i absolutely loved it!!! food was good (but do take tablets for upset stomachs as it's impossible to avoid). People there are really friendly and I had a great time with everyone. However I must say the cleaner (Carnidade) did make me mad. I'll explain, just a day before we left we found a note in the room asking for a "good tip as i worked very hard for you this 2 weeks". I thought this was an absolute joke! However I chose not to make a big fuss about it. I always tip, but ask me and you lost me! I didn't tip, my boyfriend did though.

Food- i really liked it, been portuguese I'm used to everything they cooked. One very important thing to consider is, if you going to the buffet don't mix and match food! simply because you will get bored of it! I choose to have fish one day, meat the other, vegetarian options, salads, hot dogs, burgers, pastas, but all separate! if you put a bit of everything on your plate you'll get bored in 3 days!!! so... don't! !

Beach- just amazing!!!!! but do take a day for varadero beach! is sooooo nice!

Shooping- not havana, not resort, not las Americas shopping centre.... go to the flee market in Varadero! 1. cheaper, 2. better and 3. with a bit of patience you might haggle :)

Excursions- I did 4, loved Havana overnight, great places, great pictures and Greico (tour operator) was 10 stars! we also did the Motor experience- old jet skis driving it around for 2 hours, this was OK, tip: do take your camera, you will NEVER fall. Dolphins, really good, dirty water you might say? well its a NATURAL RIVER!!!! don't expect beach water! very nice, and take your camera as you can take nice pics with them. Finally, we also did the jeep safari, really good raw Cuba! just what the package says. Tip: do take shampoos and whatever you can to give away, kids LOVE IT!

I'm not sure what else to say apart from, DON'T DOUBT IT, JUST BOOK IT! :)

Disfrutalo mutcho!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Richyportugal
Quebec/Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This hotel is definitely to relax and enjoy modern installations. The ambiance is good but if you are looking for a trip with friends you should definitey consider browing other 'midle varadero' hotels. I have nothing important to complain about, it was a really great place to stay!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank al2cand
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2011

where do i start this is my experience at the laguna i have been to cuba many times so i do no what to expect check in i thought was a little slow only 7 couples still took over 1 hour when we did get to our room well worth the wait fabulous views room no15507 our maid was wendy we did leave small gifts each day she did a great job

food
after 4days i had to go to the doctors i did feel very ill the doctor told me i had food poisoning and was put on very strong antibiotics which i had to take for 5days the main buffet was the only place i had eaten eggs under cooked and stone cold in the morning. fish on the same bars as veg seafood mixed in with meat dishes. soup the same for 14days and nights if you can not eat the food you can generally get by on soup but not
here.
alicart cuban all food we had was cold when it should have been piping hot
japanese very good food how it should be cooked great chefs
romantica the best for our selfs good service and food
staff could not fault any of them gardeners to reception all great
this hotel i will remember for all the wrong reasons the pools the beach the shows
where all good but you do not go on holiday tobe laid up for 5days.
would i recomend this please iwould love to say yes but i can not
i will remember it for all the wrong reasons
has i said before we have been to cuba many times and never had any reason to complain but the food in the main buffet is very poor

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple