“we were scared but it was fine”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Oasis

Hotel Oasis
Ranked #61 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
edmonton alberta
“we were scared but it was fine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

we didn't expect much after reading reviews beforehand. we brought toilet paper and pillows and pillow cases. we had a toilet seat and toilet paper at the hotel so we considered ourselves very lucky. the pillows were fine. we picked a balcony suite on the second floor. it was on the quiet side of hotel which was nice. we didn't even notice any sand mites. they are not out in the heat of the afternoon sun. they come out in the morning or the evening...you know...when you are trying to get the sunset pictures and you foolishly are walking around in your bathing suit and skirt.
it is right on the beach. really nice. we learned the way to walk into town from another couple and it didn't cost us a thing to walk into town. we took some tours.
we brought tons of stuff to give to people. I had a hard time getting out of the airport because some of the light wands I bought for the children lit up in my bag and they could see it. I don't know if they thought it was a bomb but they held me back and the woman didn't want to let me pass. some little guy helped us get our bags...I didn't ask him to...then he asked for money...I said I hadn't switched to Cuban money yet...he said that was okay and took my $5. then we ran on to the bus...we must have held up the other passengers...then the tour guide on the bus to our hotel told us we should be giving him a tip of $5 and the bus driver too. so I gave him $5 also...ten dollars gone and we were just at the hotel. we learned after that...after we got change we just gave tips of one or two pesos.
the guy at the front desk...his name was nelson...he was a sweetheart and carried our two heaviest bags up to our room and there is no elevator....I felt so bad for him. he also helped us reserve dinner in this special room that was really nice. he had two children. a very kind, respectful man. it felt good to give things to him for his children.
there was also a woman with dark hair working at the front desk . she wasn't sweet or warm or kind. we asked her if we could exchange our canadian money for cuban money and she said yes. then she gave us 83 cents on our dollars. then we were talking to this other woman who came the same time as us. she asked us what the exchange rate the woman at the front desk gave us. we told her. she said that same woman just gave her 86 cents on the dollar. she came back with us to the front desk and told her we were her friends and to give us 86 cents on the dollar so she did. that woman was never helpful and knowing she tried to cheat us and take advantage of us left me with a bad feeling.
we didn't really get a chance to give the things to the people who needed them. it was so disappointing. the people working at the hotels get all the neat things. we tried to give out things in varadero...we got to do it a little and that felt nice...but there is no elementary school in varadero...and the high school kids we met acted liked snobs and wrinkled their noses at the things we were passing out. we brought crayons, colouring books, toothpaste, toothbrushes, hair elastics, wooden toys to make, gum, chocolate bars, light up wands, drawing pads, pencil crayons, erasers, pencil sharpeners, candy, magic cards, little cars, bead kits.
we went on two tours: the day trip to Havana which was nice, and the trip to the sugar cane fields...where they give you two bottles of rum at the end as a gift. you also get a chance to taste sugar cane juice which is soooo delicious..
when we got off the bus in Havana all these people crowded around you asking for things...money, clothes...something for their children but there were no children with them. it felt terrible...everyone attacking you all at once...we got back on the bus right away and felt safer. when everyone came back on the bus, our tour guide told us if we bought anything from anybody we might get arrested because you are not allowed to...of course he told us this after not before.
later on. on the walking tour part it was good and nice. if you go to any museums you have to pay extra if you want to take pictures. we saw some stilt walkers and if you take pictures of them or anyone else they may insist you pay them.
the trip to the sugar cane fields......our tour guide. who was a sweet little guy . stopped the bus to pick up this woman who would explain everything to us about our trip...except she only spoke Spanish and for the most part we were all Canadian and we all spoke English. she had a son with us. I gave him one of the bubble gum banks and he thanked me and when it was time to take the train he came and stood near us....I think he was hoping I would give him more things. his mom, the Spanish speaking woman told our tour guide to tell me not to hand out any things to the children following the train because last week their was an unfortunate accident with a girl and the train. she stood beside me too to make sure I didn't...and all these children came up running behind the train wanting us to throw them little things and the other people did...but I couldn't. which was too bad.
when we were planning the trip it felt so good spending what little money we had on toys and things to make their lives a little nicer. we were thinking such nice, loving helpful thoughts. the reality was a little different. maybe if we got a chance to get closer to the people who were poorer or more isolated. I carried all of the stuff we had left into town...it was 6 and a half km to the bank...and we walked to the end of the main street...way past the bank...till we found out there was no elementary school....and then carried it back...we stopped off at the beach and there were some kids playing there. I was thinking how to pass the things out to the kids respectfully and one woman refused our things...I then tried to motion to her maybe she could pass out our things to the other children that were on the beach beside them and she gave these hand motions like "you expect me to do what?" I don't know if we just ran into snobs or we just had bad luck but if really left a bad taste in my mouth. I wouldn't bring things down again I don't think. maybe if I didn't have my hopes up trying to do what we thought was good.
now about the hotel. they have cats and dogs there. we read about them before the trip. the cats and the little white kitten are really neat. the dogs are nice. it was so nice to see animals there and the staff didn't treat the animals mean or scare them off all the time. the little kitten, when you would try to feed it...it wouldn't take food from your fingers...it would touch your hand twice with its paw to tell you to drop the food and then he would eat it...the kitten was so cute...and always chasing something...a leaf...a little stone...and he would sit on the chairs on the outside tables..and then fall off the chair...it was adorable.
the dog with the bad leg...someone said her name was isabelle. she is doing good. still limping a bit...and hanging out with the brown dog...he has a open wound by his back leg the size of a nickel...and he gets sand caught in it...and sometimes the little black bugs get in it and bug him. they are really nice dogs. the cats and dogs give it such a nice relaxed environment.
there is one cat there...a white male cat with only one eye...the place where the eye is gone...this liquid keeps running out of his eye. he let me wipe the liquid away with a Kleenex. I feel so bad for him and when we sit outside on the patio he would sit beside us on the tile or on the chair. the bossy male cat in charge of everyone...he is black and white...he would try to bully this poor one eyed cat so I had to tell the other cat to leave him alone...at least while we were eating he was safe from the bully. someone said if you took any of the animals to the vet you could bring them home to Canada. I already have two cats but someone else might want to bring some home.
we read the reviews about very little food...or plain food. I like plain food. there was rice, pasta, potatoes, chicken, beef, pork, soup, shredded cabbage, sometimes shredded carrots and shredded beets...fruit....pineapple, orange slices, papaya, cake with delicious icing, cookies and ice cream and soft drinks...or water...if you wanted delicious pineapple juice they had it at the bar but you should bring a cup....we brought big plastic cups from home so that was good. less trips to the bar that way...we tried to tip a peso at the bar. the menu was good and healthy and sadly to say I didn't lose any weight.
breakfast they made great French toast and they cut up ham that was delicious...and fruit and fruit juice. we didn't catch on till our vacation was almost over that the chef in the corner made omelets. he also made special dishes at supper time too...we gave him a peso if we got something from him...but his food was delicious. most of the staff in the kitchen were nice. it was a good experience. sitting on the patio was my favourite..and the table in the corner where you could look out and see the palm trees and the ocean was the best. we did see some plates where people just wasted food. it was such a shame. and there was a young tall guy there who ate but then took the food off the premises to feed his friends and he would laugh about it. that really wasn't fair.
our beach was really nice...we mostly had it to ourselves...but it was full of garbage. I don't understand why the Cubans didn't seem to care. bottles, glass, plastic, Cubans would come to the beach at night...just outside the fence of the resort...they would start little fires...drink..party I guess...and then they would smash bottles...it wasn't safe to walk there in where they had been smashing their bottles if you couldn't see very well or you were walking barefoot...and the dogs...it wasn't safe for them either. we picked a bit of the garbage up and left it by a tree and we assume some of the staff took it away....but it just seemed a lack of self respect to let it get like that. it is such a beautiful country. the beach was amazing and full of corral and shells and sand and yet they didn't seem to care if it was clean or safe or not.
there were at least two grounds keepers there. one was luis. he was nice and easy going and a smaller guy who acted nice too...he showed me the banana trees. but when they cleaned the yard..they mostly just picked up the big leaves that fell off the trees. maybe they didn't think the beach was their area. I don't know. that was disappointing as well.
the guides all told us how cuba is wonderful because schooling and health care is free. then my friend told me they saw a documentary on cuba and it said Cubans had to work for the state for 2 years to make up for the free schooling.
our door locked which was a bonus. the toilet kind of ran all the time...but it still worked and we just closed the bathroom door if we wanted it quieter. when you walked out onto the balcony you had this big beautiful tree right there. you could see the ocean from the balcony. a little tiny gecko came into our room....I finally got a picture of him...he would always run away. he was adorable. there were no cockroaches in our room. that was really nice. the tv plug didn't fit the plug in but we didn't go to cuba to watch tv so that was fine. where we went for the sugar cane tour...there was a factory the guide pointed out to us...it was where they made toilet paper...he explained that sometimes when it shut down for a bit it was hard to get toilet paper. jour air conditioning worked but we only put it on a little to cool down the room then we switched it off. in the reviews we read people said there was no hot water. we didn't find that. it was cool for a very few minutes and then it warmed up and was great...and actually cool when it is hot is good sometimes.
it was so humid in cuba and it seemed that it was almost impossible to keep the walls from molding. if they kept up with painting them all the time...but even in Havana and in varadero some of the buildings looked in rough shape.

there is corral there...it is hard and it is so easy to cut yourself on it. a guy at the hotel told us if a person touches corral with their finger they kill it...it oxidizes it. that is really sad. I never knew that before. this one guy on the beach told his girlfriend to stand on the corral in the water for a picture. she told him it hurt. I wish he was on the corral. she could have gotten badly hurt.

we left some things for our maid and some pesos but she came in and saw all the stuff on the bed we were planning to hand out and I think she wasn't impressed with what we gave her because even though she thanked us I sensed she had a little contempt for us.
we did get a really good deal...unbelievable. the flight was held up....but they gave us a meal voucher which was nice. we were very lucky. the weather was gorgeous.
when we went into Havana the tour guide said we could visit the market for 40 min. I saw a church with stain glass windows across the street. I wanted to go there and get some nice pictures. there was a big, tall, white guy with tattoos, and a jean jacket with the sleeves cut off....he seemed rough...trouble...I tried to walk around him...there was a woman in the church and they were taking donations...especially if you used .the bathrooms...so we asked her if we could leave things for the children there and she said yes, I took my pics and used the washroom and then the rough looking guy....he looked kinda mean and scary...came in and started going through all the things we gave the woman...and I realized the socks and pencils and colouring books and crayons and candy and chocolate would probably not make it to any children....it was kind of sad. I gave some little chocolate bars to this one boy outside the church...he looked about 8 or 9 years old...to share with his brother and his mother. I went to pass them some gum each and I realized the boy wasn't sharing it with his older brother who was a teenager and I told him to share it...so I made sure the older boy got one gum but I bet he didn't get a little chocolate bar even though I told the younger boy to share. the next guy said to me...right after I came out of the church:" hey ladies...are you ready for me?" the guy was maybe 17 and leaning against a wall..that was creepy. it makes a funny story but yuck.
I would also like to talk about the treatment on the flight down to cuba and back. it was wonderful. they took really nice care of us...and gave us juice and food...even a little chocolate...and some banana bread. I didn't really expect anything...and oh yes, we got a glass of champagne....and hot towlettes. pretty neat. and headphones to watch the movies..i got to see gravity on the way back but I kept nodding off to sleep. the pilots did a really nice job...it wasn't scary at all. the flight attendants were helpful and courteous. I was really impressed.
I hope you find this useful and you have a nice holiday.

Room Tip: higher floors are better.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
19 Thank Fran L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Nanaimo, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Like so many others, I no high expectations of this hotel, but for the basic price of $205 plus taxes, I could not go wrong. Booked on Tuesday for the Sunday flight, as this is what I would do again. The hotel has a nice beach, with Palapas, beach bar, but not beer as it is only available at the pool bar and the plastic glasses are very small, so bring your own coffee mug to use for coffee and drinks. No ice was available for drinks during my stay. The first room was not acceptable, so next day the staff were very accommodating and I stayed in 104 which I feel is the best room, with a large balcony, large room with 2 English speaking tv channels, hot showers, twin beds and partial ocean view. The maid, Maria Louisa was very helpful, making towel animals every day. It pays to tip, not like the Russians, as I got great service, especially from the chef at the egg station in the morning, as he would prepare the eggs any where you like. He always recognized me (as I gave him a good tip at the start of my stay, as well as the other servers and of course the maid got a tip every day) as he would shake my hand and say hello to me. The pool was cleaned every day and the nightly entertainment at 9:39 was great. Other guests complained about cockroaches but I never saw one, but brought down a small plastic spray bottle and sprayed around the patio door and on the floor beside the walls, but this is a tropic destination and one can see these bugs, but is not due to neglect on the part of the hotel. To walk into the outskirts of Varadero takes 55 minutes, with another 30 to get to the bank. From Calle 10 to Calle 60 are various shops, flea markets, cafes, ice cream places, bars, restaurants where one will enjoy the walk and shop with definitely no pressure and very good prices. There is a once a day 5 cuc daily shuttle tfrom the hotel at 10 am to Varadero where it connects to the hop on hop off bus and the shuttle returns at 2 or possibily 4 pm and it is worth the price to stay on the hop on, off, bus for the entire trip to the marina, at the far end to see the peninsula and then get off around calle 60 and walk towards your return stop, or even enjoy the beautiful sandy beach in Varadero, right in town, where locals swim. A nice beach is at calle 44, at the shopping mall and right across the road is a local take out restaurant where for 2 cuc you can get a delicious meal, (the large billboard with prices are in Cuban CUP, not CUC, but just ask how much in Cuc) with large servings on a china plate with a fork and sit beside the curb, no chairs, and enjoy a great Cuban meal for a low price. The airport money exchange ran into problems so did not get any cuc so I went to the banco on ave 1 and calle 32 (the hop on stops there) and got $138 cuc for $160 Canadian. Ask for lots of 1 cucs to give as tips. There was a special price of 59 cucs instead of 70 on Saturday to Havana and I would definitely recommend it as it can be booked with the Sun wing rep at the hotel, from 3 to 4 pm every day...great English speaking guides and will stay with you all day, stopping off at interesting places.....You can pay for the excursions by credit card. Do not even think of buying souvenirs at the flea market where they stop, as the sellers are so aggressive, but instead buy the very same items in Varadero and keep the money in town, as the vendors here and not aggressive at all and the prices are similar or even lower. Would I stay here again? No, as I would move up to a 3 star or 4 possibility Kawama or others in Varadero but not at the 5 stars further away from town towards the marina. You really get what you pay for and I had a great time there, but the rooms definitely need upgrading and the pool area did not have containers where you could leave your empty glasses or garbage. The beach was not cleaned on a regular basis, but still nice to be close to the water, although the wind could come up in the afternoon and large waves would develop. I checked out a few rooms in Vardero which were for rent and they rent out for 35 cuc although the Pullman Hotel right in town rents rooms for 34 cuc with breakfast, and looks very attractive, and meals in town are very reasonable, with beach access across the road. This is another option a person could consider, as rooms are readily available.
The hotel must have cleaned up their act as the last several reviews have been positive.
If further info is needed, please advice....Jim

Room Tip: Room 104 is best. Have a balcony (only 2 floors). If room is not suitable, they will offer you...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank jimmieddd
Arnprior, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

We have taken many trips now & this was the worst ever. When it rained the sewer drain in the bathroom backed up all over the floor & the stink was terrible. We both are not picky eaters but this buffet was very very bad. We had to go out to eat quite a lot. It was not many choices & the same thing every day & leftovers made into something else at night. The shows were good & the people that worked there were so nice & helpful. We would never go back again. There weren't enough beach chairs or pool chairs for everyone & most were broken & torn at the beacjh & the beach is never cleaned.

Room Tip: upper level but none very good different problems in each.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

My sister and I stayed at this hotel in mid-February 2014. We knew going in that it was a 2-star and expected it to be so.
The room:
-we lucked out and had a spacious room with three beds
-very basic, our TV worked and so did the A/C which was awesome
-our water did not get hot, which wasn't that big of a deal to us because after hot days in the sun it felt nice to enjoy a cold shower
-pillows sucked, I would advise to bring your own, they were very thing
Service:
-our maids were very good, and left us really cool bed art every day
-on the second last day, we didn't get new towels and that really sucked, but we had brought our own, so it wasn't horrible
-the staff is very friendly, however most don't speak english very well, so miscommunication happens a lot
-Aerie on the beach was spectacular. I would go back to this hotel for him.
Food:
-the food is limited, not a big variety
-my sister is a vegetarian, so it was very hard for her to eat because they do not list all of the ingredients on the food
-biggest problem was, there was too much of a wait time between meals. breakfast was over at 10am and lunch didn't start until 1pm. that was over at 3pm and dinner started at 7pm. there was a snack service between 10-5 but it was only sandwiches or hamburgers.
Beach:
-the beach was great, it's not too deep and the water was clean
-the sand here was very sea shelly, but nice regardless
-there is sand fleas, but they are very common in cuba no matter where you go

All in all, I had a wonderful time, because it is what you make of it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank Erika M
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

February 20-27, 2014. First time to Varadero. This small resort, built in 1956, surprised us. We have stayed in another 2 Star rated place near Havana (Las Terrazas) and this is a definite step up. The pool was always maintained, the beach was indeed a private one, and there was a large selection on food choices available in the buffet room. Prior to arrival, someone had suggested that guests might tire less quickly of the menu if one didn't take something of everything at every meal. So, I consistently had lots of fruit, but selected only a few items from the hot buffet, trying to have only chicken, or pork, or fish, etc. I tried some things which initially looked unappetizing, but they tasted really good (the soupy dehydrated mashed potatoes)

Having arrived at 3 a.m. (flight delays in Halifax) we did not quibble about the room given (153). We just wanted to sleep. Later, we requested a room change (the patio door did not open and the bed was awful) We moved into 115 and were very pleased with the spaciousness, the comfort of the beds (pillows were not) and a balcony which was away from the busy pool and evening event areas. The AC worked... a little too well.

I did not notice until the 2nd day that the 2 X 4s which joined the top of the balcony rails together was NOT together (see photo) It was mentioned to staff, but nothing was done. I'm just so grateful that we did not lean on it to look at the view! It was a death trap. As it was, I had a clothesline which kept anyone from the corner itself, and it reminded us to not lean on the rail at all.

I also detected a strong cat smell (male spray) the second night we were in the room. There are a lot of feral cats on the property and they had access to our room if the balcony door was left open. After that we had to leave the door closed when not in the room. The balcony door (plate glass) does not slide easily, so one needs a certain amount of strength to open and close it.

It was commented to some of our fellow Canadians that "we" were gracious and generous in our tips. This was in contrast with guests from another country who "left not a penny" but were eager to be at the bar at 7:30 in the morning until late at night. I know this was an "all inclusive" and supposedly tips are not required, but come on.... at some point one naturally shows appreciation for the good nature and service one receives. The staff were friendly and polite, in spite of some bad manners of a few individuals.

We have learned to be relaxed and to go with the flow and to enjoy the beauty of the weather, country and its people. Oasis has our vote on "another visit". We brought home many happy memories and dreams of returning again.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LyndaLunn
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

The hotel was created in 1956 so it is smaller and has developed gardens, the lay out is lovely. Our room was large and had an exquisite view from the balcony-the sea was about 20 yards away and we could hear the waves while sleeping. Our air conditioner, beds, bathroom and room amenities were good. The maid was a little over the top with the xxx rated towel, bedspread and curtain art- but we got used to making our own bed again afterward. The water was a sublime color of blue/green and clear, warm and my husband saw many small fish snorkeling near the pier. The sand is fine clean and white. The beach chairs, shade palapas and bar all most pleasant. The pool is clean and there are plenty of chairs. You may leave a $10 deposit at the front desk and have a beach towel for the time you are there. The food was very healthful, plain, lots of fresh fruit, chicken, beef, pork, fish, and they always had vegetables and rice. Fresh omelettes and eating outside looking toward the sea- wonderful. There are a lot of Russians staying there but we found them fun and interesting. The staff do their best to please you. I would stay here again as it has a faded charm that I like. We viewed the end of the peninsula and thought it looked sterile and plastic. We were only able to change money at the hotel once as they 'had no cash' . I suggest you change at the airport upon arrival. The bank ATM's work but only with credit cards no debit cards. Sunwing was what you pay for.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank peacethroughtravel2
Brazil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Lets start with it is a 2 star in Cuba so don't expect anything near perfection. This is what you will get all for a great price. The staff are excellent, friendly and accommodating. The food is limited but better than some 4 stars I have stayed at in Cuba. We had lamb, pork, fish and rabbit -yes rabbit try it! There was always fresh fruit, vegetables and breads. For breakfast the usual scrambled eggs, hardboiled eggs, fresh omelettes, sausage etc. An assortment of cakes for dessert and always ice cream so food was just fine for Cuba plus they had ketchup and hot sauce not always available in Cuba.

The web site says the bar closes at 10 it doesn't it is 24 hours in the lobby and the Cuban coffee and expresso are always available too.

The rooms were always clean and bug free clean sheets and towels every day (don't forget you need bug spray for the sand fleas anywhere in Cuba) We had hot water and working lights etc. better than Memories can say! Yes there is cracked plaster, some mold on the shower ceiling get over it or stay somewhere else!

The Beach is beautiful and private always lawn chairs available at the beach and pool which was cleaned every morning and pristine. The entertainment was hey 2-3 star but they had it every night and we enjoyed it.

There is a great little town called Santa Marta where an excellent meal can be had at "the Cafeteria" for 1 yes 1 peso we ate there often! a 5 peso cab ride from the hotel or rent a scooter from the hotel and go yourself!

For the Money you can't beat this resort ask for for an ocean view patio room we has number 10 or an ocean view balcony if you prefer. I will definitely visit again for the value and quality received for it!

Room Tip: Choose a patio with ocean view or balcony ocean view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo