Hotel Oasis
    • Restaurant
    Hotel Varazul(Varadero)
    Hotel Acuazul(Varadero)
    • Pool
    See what travelers are saying:
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed January 27, 2012

Jan 12th to 23rd 2012 . If you want to be on the outskirts of town, like speaking Russian, don't care what you eat, and want a cheap, "almost all-inclusive" vacation in the sun, then this is your place. Otherwise don't think twice about this Motel. ( That's not a "type O". The sign out front, that once had lettering on it, said Motel Oasis.)

My vacation was less than expected. My first room on the ground floor overlooked the loading dock and the garbage pick up area of the parking lot. The hallway was dark and damp. Needless to say I, and the other 2 people I came with all refused our rooms. All the other people that checked in at the same time as we did, checked out after seeing their rooms. We three, stuck it out, and got decent, spacious rooms later in the day. I didn't have great expectations for the food, but I did expect to be able to put my coffee in a cup, not a soup bowl, and I did expect to have a plate to put my food on. Tableware, sometimes seemed to be optional. The hot beverage machine never worked the entire stay. Although it did produce hot water regularly.

I fixed 3 toilets in the first 2 days of my stay, and my sink popped of the wall, and drain disconnected the first time I leaned on it. I was able to reattach it without incident. On the 4th day, I tipped the housekeeper 5 Pesos, after she put extra effort into the towel arrangement. That was the last time I saw my towels! Two days later I realized they probably weren't going to reappear so I searched some out for myself. ( The front desk tried, without timely success, to help.) I must comment on the fact that almost all the staff at the hotel were very, very pleasant. They were happy people who genuinely wanted to please. I really enjoyed the sun, sand, and snorkeling. .........and if that is all you are looking for, you will enjoy your stay.
    I could go on with more negatives ,but I think you get the idea. Oh, I will say one more thing.....Do not go to the "Italian" specialty restaurant. It truly was the worse dining experience I have ever had.....in ANY country!
    Just to end on a positive note......I'll say I felt very safe in this "Hotel", and singles can have their own room at no extra charge.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Main building. I stayed on the second level in 113. I recommend ( ....and I use that term loosely.) the out buildings on the right side of the pool. That would be the eastern section of the hotel. They are bigger, brighter and quiet at night.
    • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
    3  Thank Beanaroundtwice
    Reviewed January 27, 2012

I was at this hotel in January 2012 and have mixed reviews...you get what you pay for in cuba....for this cheap vacation and knowing i would not be spending much time but for sleep at this hotel i wasn't expecting much and didn't get much....the beds were not bad compared to other locations in cuba....the hotel staff was not the friendliest and only spoke to me because my fiance speaks spanish and is cuban...we changed rooms because we were supposed to have a double bed but were given a room with three twins instead!! we didn't have bed bugs and the room was reasonable clean...the tv was a bit fuzzy and when you put it on channel 21 it turned off....there was no hot water most of the time....the food was actually good but there was no selection....as for the other hotel guests they were mostly from russia, they were rude and loud and there were several fights by the pool and bar area the police were called a couple of times which is not the fault of the hotel but rather the people who can't behave under the influence of alcohol....there were stray dogs everywhere about 8 looked like they live there on a regular basis...this isn't a problem except they barked in the middle of the night in the halls....the bar closed at 10 before the shows were even done....so it wasn't horrible but it wasn't the greatest either

Room Tip: get a room with a balcony
    • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
    5  Thank titaluoma
    Reviewed January 17, 2012

THIS WAS THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED AT IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!! NEVER GO BACK!! STAY AWAY. IT WAS SMELLY, DARK, MOLDY AND THE FOOD TASTED WORSE THAN WHAT MY DOG WOULD EAT!! Sunwing sold me this vacation package and BELIEVE ME, I will never use them again!! The hotel was so outdated and used that I felt like I was going back in time. The food was cold and often re-used and I only stayed for ONE DAY. I ended up getting transfered to a hotel that was equally as bad!! If you pick a hotel based on Stars, make sure you understand that 5 stars equals 3 stars and 3 stars = NO STARS, IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE, AND I MEAN THIS ! NEVER GO TO THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
    10  Thank VancouverAdventurist
    Reviewed January 2, 2012

I went to Cuba to be engaged to my love of my life. She is a beautiful Cuban girl who has a young daughter. I had to settle with this hotel due to the amount I spent on ring, hotel+flight, plus an additional $250 for my fiancé and her daughter to stay. This is not my first trip to Cuba and getting married to a Cuban I know what to expect. We woke up with bites from bugs daily, my poor step daughter! The water had no pressure at all and also no hot water most of the time. We were careful to lock up each day, but had brought mist valuables to her family house. We returned to the hotel the day before my departure when my fiancé had noticed her personals scattered about. Upset she was so she called a family member who is also a police officer and he sent police to hotel accompanied with K9. My fiancé's family shows up and for this I now feel embarrassed considering I am there for permission to marry. The police informed us that this was the 3rd time that week they have been at this hotel. The hotel manager then told my Fiancé that we had caused there hotel embarrassment and we were to leave. I then contacted sunwing who offered to put us in another hotel for one night for an additional $150CUC. If you been to Cuba then you know it is difficult to get money there, and for this is unexceptable! Then sunwing convinced the manager to allow us back, however I never returned where I was not wanted and embarrassed. I was not the only one of the guests who got kicked out that week so if you stay here prepare!! Note: I was there for love and with children, my fiancé and I were NEVER drunk or rowdy!!!! This hotel NEEDS NEW MANAGEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011
    3  Thank Kevinallangregory
    Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed here last summer for 1 night as I had to catch an early flight out the next day. The place is very simple with regards to food options and are very limited and not very good. This place is very economical ($35cuc) and in my opinion should not be picked if you are looking to stay around the hotel all day. This place is perfect if you are on the go, its close proximity to downtown Varadero gives many good options for food. Only reason I stayed here was due to the fact that it closer to the airport..

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family