“GREAT RESORT”
Review of Melia Las Americas

Melia Las Americas
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed March 10, 2010

If you are the type of person that likes a first class resort then this is the place for you.
Spend the extra money if a quality resort is important to you.
No need to look elsewhere.

The resort is very clean and well maintained and the enviroment is very comfortable.

We are 3 guys that went together (over 50 ) We each had our own room.

The staff is very friendly and accomadating for the most part.
Getting a drink in the lobby bar can be difficult though as they are very slow in reacting
when you try to place a n order. You have to be patient.

THE FOOD -- very good with lots of variety at the buffet. There are chefs to make you omlettes or grilled meats, special pasta dishes etc. The food is presented very well
with lots to eat. Plenty of deserts and fruits and icecream as well.
The JAPANESE restraunt is excellent with the chef concocting a mixed meal for you.
You don't even order here. he just puts on a show and makes a great stirfry

The weather was not cooperative so we didn't spend much time at the beach or pool
but kept busy other ways.
I rented a scooter in the town of VAREDERO and cruised around the streets distributing
gifts to people i saw walking or sitting in front of their home. This brought me great
pleasure as the people are so appreciative of anything you give them due to the high prices and unavailability of items in the stores.
Life is a real struggle for people. They need so much and earn so little.

i gave out -- SOCKS, BANDAIDS, HATS, PENS, PENCILS, CRAYONS, COLOURING BOOKS, TOOTHPASTE, TOOTHBRUSH, SOAP, FLASHLIGHTS, GUM,
The people just loved it. it was a great experiance.
I gave the staff in the hotel lots of stuff and I did the same during my trip to HAVANA.

Make so you visit the DOLLAR STORE before you leave and load up.

The nightlife at the reort is a little slow. People congregate at the lobby bar and see the
nightly show which is fine, but not much else to do.
There are lots of nightclubs in VAREDERO if you are in to that. i went once.
I did that scene in my younger years.
Also by 11:30 I was dead tired from being up at 7:30 and on the go most days.
The town is only 8 km away and we walked there one day (for exercise) and took a taxi
there a couple of other times.

Once again this resort is GREAT on all levels. You will be very happy here.
However i wouldn't reccomend it for SINGLES as I hardly saw any here.
Any questions you can email me -- callmesteve77@rogers.com

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank voltaregion

Reviewed March 10, 2010

Stayed at this resort with friends. Was very well treated by all staff especially Raul and Orlando from the Lobby bar who made our stay very enjoyable. Food was good, beach was amazing. Very good bang for you buck. When you arrive, ask for the very best Mojito in Cuba from Raul at the bar. Restaurants were amazing.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Golf_101__
Reviewed March 10, 2010

Back from another great trip to our beloved Cuba. The weather this trip was not great and made golfing impossible on many of the days. This was our third stay at the Melia Las Americas in four trips to Cuba. once again the hotel was perfect, staff incredible and food was better than I remembered last trip. But I felt so strongly about the following that signing up with trip advisor was a must.
I will start by saying my wife and I are both fairly accomplished with conversational Spanish and enjoy the practice while in Cuba. At the meet and greet our group met the general manager of the hotel. I am not possitive about his name but believe his name is Stefano. The days that followed this man seemed to keep popping up. I saw him eating cheeseburgers in the public relations area, drinking at the lobby bar etc etc. He was dressed like street person and was thoroughly disgusted when i saw him "adjusting himself" on two different occasions. All that is not a big deal i suppose but I caught him three times talking to the employees like they were garbage. I know exactly what he was saying and the rude dismissive attitude was beyond belief. Whenever we saw him we would follow him just to see what would happen next, it became a bit of a joke with us. The Cuban people are truely some of the most wonderful people on the planet and it really bothers us when they are not treated properly by other tourists. but when the general manager of the hotel acts like this!!!! Until the Melia chain gets there act together with who they have running their hotels we will be forced to find other accomodations in Varadero. Before staying at the Las Americas again i will have my agent call and find out who is running this beautiful hotel.

1  Thank Okanan
Reviewed March 8, 2010

What a wonderful holiday. Returned on March 6th and we're already planning our trip there for next year. We have only stayed in Cuba once before and it was a "terrible" experience at Tryp Cayo Coco...Melia Las Americas was clean, beautiful and the food was "outstanding"!!! Yes, the lobby bar was a bit crowded but staff are making pretty fancy drinks that take time...a Mojito isn't a "quick" drink to make and I noticed many people ordering them. I felt the staff did a great job conisidering they were making speciality coffees and drinks.

We golfed 18 holes every day (7) and both my husband and I found the golf course to be one of the better ones we have played at...it was so convenient to be able to leave our clubs at the pro shop after each round and not have to "haul" them down everyday. OUr weather was a bit cool and windy, but you have no control over that!!

I would definately go back and I hope that the Duo Talisman will be there again. We felt "very bad" for the gentleman in the band. He is a phenominal guitar player and is playing with a guitar that should have been retired "years" ago. If my husband and I could be sure he would get it we would send him one of our son's many guitars.

Loved our trip!!!!!!!!! Loved the service.....will definately be going back again.

5  Thank golfloverontario
Reviewed March 2, 2010

First time visit to Cuba and would go again. Overall, Melai is the equivalent of a 4 Star Mexican All Inclusive resort. Rooms were clean, very good maid service and check-in was ok. The beach was very good. Bar service was terrible especially at the main lobby bar-long waits, poorer drink mixes.Bar tenders need to lighten up a little-a few smiles wouldn't hurt! Bar service on the beach was not great either as just not enough servers.
Meals - really no major complaints at the buffet. Good selection. Fantastic service by "Aurora" at every meal during the week. Italian restaurant was disappointing. Japanese restaurant was very enjoyable.

Hot tip/fantastic deal - go to the golf proshop beside Melia and get a coupon for dinner at the former Dupont mansion now operated by the Cuban gov't. 4 of us went at $40 Pesos a person which gets you a 4 course meal including dessert, 2 bottles of wine and choice of any main entree on the menu. The food was great as was the service.

3  Thank Adjusting
Reviewed March 1, 2010

This was our fourth trip to Varadero, first time in this hotel. Stayed here during 3rd week in Feb. The weather sucked but the hotel was very good and it’s hard to have a bad time in Cuba anyway! As I require a gluten free diet I contacted the hotel via email before arrival to check if they could handle it. They told me they'd done it before, but I was a little skeptical. Upon arrival, Ana Rosa at the Customer Service Desk had a copy of the email, all of our meals in the various A La Carte restaurants had been organized and pre-booked and all the Chefs were aware of my diet. It was a breeze. They recognized our room # and adjusted the meal accordingly or made helpful suggestions in each restaurant. There is always great trepidation associated with travelling while requiring special dietary needs. However, I never felt any ill effects at all, and appreciated the staff for being so efficient, friendly and accommodating; they made it a worry free, totally enjoyable experience. Buffet was fine, lots of choices, and very helpful friendly staff. The food at the Robleza was tasty, but at lunch the wait was far too long a couple of times. The Arcada - not good selection for me, but my husband enjoyed it. The Japanese restaurant was an experience we both enjoyed (my meal was made separately, but was good). It was fun to meet other couples over a meal. The lobby bar was an excellent place to get a Cappuccino during the day and drinks at night. There was a nightclub in the hotel, with a couple performing, which was nice and the bar staff were fun, friendly and outgoing. Beach facilities were outstanding. Golf course is terrific, but bring your own clubs-it's expensive. Our hotel room was upgraded to a Jr. Suite and was very comfortable and spacious. All in all, an excellent hotel and we strongly recommend it for a relaxing holiday.

12  Thank overfiftyWinnipeg
Reviewed February 28, 2010

read T A before we left and everything they said was true.......hotel was not 5* more like 3*,rooms shabby,food mainly luke warm,service at bar was dreadful you could wait up to 20 mins to get served, but it was not busy they are just slow.
poolside bar just the same,they ran out of tonic water so no g&t for me,but if you like rum rheres tons of it.
if you dont smoke wear a mask as they all smoke BIG fat cigars.
i am not being awful,just telling you as it is,for £3,000 i would of liked it to of been a dream hol.