“Beautiful hotel and great staff - couldn't be happier”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Melia Las Americas

Melia Las Americas
Ranked #5 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
uk
“Beautiful hotel and great staff - couldn't be happier”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just got back from Melia Las Americas last week after a fantastic 10 day trip to cuba. Usually I would visit other destinations in the Caribbean (Barbados, Antigua, Jamaica etc) but this time decided to mix things up and visit somewhere new. Had a fantastic time - the staff at the hotel are really really friendly - hi to Raul and the girls serving lunch to me and my brother - thanks for a great stay - miss my lounger by the corner of the small pool already...

The hotel... itself is as good if not better than any others I've visited in the Caribbean - rooms are very clean and the hotel is large but not unfriendly....you won't feel like you are on a business trip! Pools are great and of course the beach is fantastic....the hotel has a very long beach....and I mean long so no problems finding space.

The food....was great. The buffet has plenty to choose from and we didn't get bored with the food there. Has the usual egg stations in the morning and pasta cooked fresh in the evenings along with lots of salads and fruit...the buffet was great. The hotel also has a number of "theme" restaurants....personally I dislike the idea of theme restaurants but we gave them a go anyway. Top of the list (head and shoulders) was the fish restaurant which was fantastic....it's also open for lunches and we ate there almost every day. The Italian restaurant was OK - please remember you aren't in Italy or in NYC or London...this is very much Italian "theme". Least favourite was the Japanese restaurant....this wasn't a great experience....although to be fair I've eaten teppanyaki at some of the best restaurants in Europe and China/HK so was probably setting the bar a little high.

Weather...was rainy season....it rained a couple of days but mainly in the late afternoon/evening which was very nice as the nights were much cooler...overall I'd say Cuba/Valadero was fantastic and couldn't fault the resort or the island - apparently it rains more in Havana though.

Room...was kept very clean. We stayed in the main hotel building....as Valadero is a peninsula you have sea views from both front and back of the hotel. Power sockets were 220v....if you are from the UK you need to take a US style plug adaptor. Internet is only available in the hotel lobby and costs about 8 dollars per hour...you get a card so you can use a few minutes to check emails etc....not that Skype is blocked in Cuba so be warned (although I'm sure if you are smart enough you might be able to figure this one out :-)....(but needs setting up before you travel of course!)...I didn't mind the cost of the wireless...I'd rather pay 8 dollars an hour and have something I can use than have free wireless that doesn't work because it can't cope with the bandwidth!

Negatives....The Japanese restaurant...please you guys why not have a Cuban restaurant on site instead....I really wanted to sample some of the local food....there is a Cuban buffet night but more would be better I think. Also more mangoes please....sometimes it felt like a scramble for mangoes....less stuff that you think we want to eat....tinned peaches....err yea I can do without those.

Tipping....OK this one is interesting. Personally I never tip staff during my stay at an all inclusive BUT I wait until the last few days and had out big tips to staff who have gone above and beyond at the end of my holiday...I think this is better than walking around with a fist full of Peso bills and slapping them down on the bar like you are a millionaire (I'm not kidding...I saw this happening)...your choice of course but I think the latter encourages staff to play for tips which will ultimately ruin the atmosphere at the resort for everyone....I did see some of this happening which is a real shame but ultimately the blame rests with us the tourist. Your choice of course....but at least think about it...in the end you'll still be spending the same but at least you'll know people are being genuine.

Overall we had a fantastic stay....the few negatives weren't enough to knock anything off. I saw a few bad reviews before I left but decided to go ahead anyway...I'm glad we did. I appreciate that if you get ill on holiday that isn't great but people do get sick. Water on the tables for breakfast/lunch/dinner was always straight out of a bottle....if you have a weak stomach I'd suggest using the mineral water in the rooms to brush your teeth as an added precaution (I did this when I visited china)...I used the tap water in Cuba and was fine...as I said my brother and I both had a great stay....food was great and we'd definitely go back...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank London_Rocks99
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
We appreciate immensely your taking some of your invaluable time to share your experience at our Hotel with others.

I am very glad to know that your visit to Melia Las Americas was fantastic and you wish to come back in the future.

I am also happy to read that you found our staff friendly. We will be very pleased to pass your gentle opinions to all, because comments like yours motivate them to continue improving the quality of the services they provide.

I hope to have the honor of greeting you in Melia Las Americas soon.
Best regards,

Bernard Meyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (993)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

First time in Cuba and loved it!
People and staff were very friendly- esp Julia the cleaner and the bell boy who has worked there for 12 years.
Weather was amazing and Varedero is one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen.
However booked with Virgin holidays and they promised a new 4/5 star all inclusive hotel.
In reality it was more like a 3 star, needs a lot of refurb and updating to made it a 4/5 star and staff do expect tips.
Food was good but slightly repetitive and would have benefitted from having covers over them in the buffet to keep off the flies and birds.
Rooms and communal areas need work- we had to pay more when we arrived to get a better room.
Customer Service 700 were useless when we called 3 times to tell them our safe wouldn't work.
Leonardo the Virgin rep was great and very helpful, he helped us to book the Overnight Havana trip and change our last night at the Melia hotel to Havana so we didn't need to do the 2 1/2 hour drive back again.
However saying that The National Hotel in Havana that Virgin put you in on the tour is AWEFUL!
We made the most of the holiday but it was not how it was sold to us and not worth the money!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alysha R
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
We are genuinely thankful for your positive opinions about your first visit to Cuba. It is nice to read that you loved it and you found Varadero very beautiful. We are proud of it.

I’m offering my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations regarding our hotel. We like to inform you that we are carrying out some renovations to gradually update the image and improve the whole product to meet all our guests´s expectations. Also, I want to thank you about your remarks, as they help us to identify opportunities to improve our services.

I will be honoured to greet you personally if you decide to visit us again.
Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Booked through virgin holidays for honey moon on the understanding the accommodation was 4.5 star and the restaurants were excellent.
on our arrival the room smelt terrible and was in very poor repair. ie; very out dated, broken door frame and locks too patio doors. We complained immediately and was told by the unorganised reception staff this would be remedied the following day. The next day the new receptionist showed us an even worse room further from the beech. So we were stuck with the original room even though the hotel was at half capacity. Three days in the tiling from the balcony two floors above our room started to fall down to our patio area this was reported and 11 days later when we left still nothing had been done.
Allthough the buffet restaurant was adequate the food was nearly always the same. One of the restaurant was closed for refurbishment so we where left with the fish, Italian and Japanese restraurants. The fish restaurant served us stale bread which put us off the rest of the "fresh" frozen fish. The Italian started off with an aggressive waiter demanding we bought from the wine list in an all inclusive hotel we didn't expect this. The bruschetta served was actually garlic bread and the pizza was tasteless. The Japanese started well with sushi and ended with a stir fry cooked on a hot plate. Not very exciting. We did however have one great meal at the hotel a meal for two on the beech, although we had to pay the hotel and extra 80 cuc (£55) for this.
On the plus the beech was amazing and the pools very nice too. The bar, beech and entertainment staff were excellent and made the stay just about bearable.
We were completely let down by virgin who recommended this hotel to us. There's no way this is a honeymoon hotel. We were left gutted and felt the majority of the money spent was a complete waist. I strongly recommend you look for another hotel and avoid the same disappointment.
I'd also like to add that the virgin rep we had in the hotel was like a cuban 'Dell boy'.
We purchased two trips on his strongest recommendations.
1st) Cuban Rum and Cigar tour. Five minutes before we arrived at the cigar factory on the coach, the tour guide tells us it's shut all of August.
2nd). Private tour of Cuba. (Our own driver for the day) This was the worst day of my life. We clearly asked if it was safe and was assured that it was by the rep. We spent the day racing from place to place never having the time to stop and look properly at the destinations. We stopped for lunch which the driver decided to join us for. "Awkward" After he stood up said thanks for lunch and walks off. We then realise as he's racing back to the hotel he didn't have a working speedo. I believe this was disconnected so as not to pay the mileage on the government rented cab.
Will never use virgin for anything but flights again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Richard C
Dear Valued Guest,

We are thankful for take the time for sharing your opinions about your stay in our Hotel.
I have read your comments and I’m offering my sincere apologies for not meeting your hopes and expectations regarding our resort and the services we offer. Personally, I regularly supervise the quality and standards of all the Food and Beverages served in the Hotel and I am disappointed that it was not to your liking. They are prepared to satisfy the varied tastes of our clientele.
I would have been at your disposal to meet you during your stay and exchange opinions about the different topics you referred to.
It will be an honor to have a new opportunity to welcome you at Meliá Las Américas.

Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

just back from cuba.we had a great time there.weather was sooo hot.last 2 days we had rain but it only lasted for an hr at the most.we went 18th july-2nd aug.the hotel was massive .lovely an clean.room was big we had a good view of the sea an golf course.my husband had a round of golf which he thought was a bit expensive.really nned to t off at 7 before it got too hot.buffet resturant was good for brekkie an lunch.bit of a hit an miss for nite time.the other resturants were lovely.we went to the italian 2nd time round an we had to wait 1hr for a pizza didnt like their service at all found them quite rude.felt they had no time for us as we didnt order any bottles of wine.didnt let that spoil our holidays.we did the havana trip £100 each bit expensive.got picked up at 8am got back at 2.30am!!!!. which included the tropicana show it was good.they gave us 2 bottles of rum on our table which u could take home with u at the end of the nite.staff there very friendly .ivis was really really nice with everyone.she gave a good service with her drinks.joined in with the live bands singing.beach staff were friendly too airel,lizumar frank and beverley.they got u to join in with there games and have some fun.theymade our hol.friendly bar staff.overall good holiday.

Room Tip: forth floor lookin onto the golf course
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lybrann8
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I am very glad to know that you have a great time visiting Melia Las Americas and we are also happy to read that you found most of our staff friendly. We will be very happy and pleased to pass your gentle opinions to them and because comments like yours motivate them to continue improving the quality of the services they provide.
I hope to have the honour of meeting you in our hotel soon again.
Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Booked holiday with Virgin also recommended by Virgin worst holiday ever hotel worn and old rooms disgusting all falling apart receptionist rude, food was the same everyday stale cereal every morning was poorly whilst there and when I got back. So in a nutshell RUBBISH!!!!! Hotel paid 3500 for the worst holiday ever ...

• Stayed July 2013
12 Thank adrian b
Alberta
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We were in Cuba for the first time from August 6-13th and I will definitely go back. We went for my Dads 80th birthday and Zahily took the time to make our trip special. She planned all our
A la carte meals before we even got there to make sure my Dad could try all the menus! The food was quite good. I only had one meal I didn’t enjoy but in saying that, I always found something to eat! The Gourmet restaurant was a real treat. Ariel was hands down the best waiter ever. He made my Dads day so special! The Italian and Japanese restaurants were also very good. Thank you to Zahily for making so many awesome arrangements for us.
The staff was amazing! Yes, it’s an all inclusive but if you want excellent service...tip the staff!!! If they get a nice tip, they will greet you with a smile everyday. The staff would shake our hands as soon as we entered the buffet for breakfast. If they could, they would even have your table ready...just amazing employees. Treat them good and they will treat you good. Thank you also to my espresso lady every morning...I apologize for not remembering your name.
I encourage people to bring gifts as well as tips for the employees...it goes a long way here.
We stayed in the Bungalow suites and the rest of my family stayed in the Hotel part. Both rooms were very nice however I am glad we stayed in the Bungalow. It was nice to sit on our patio at night and enjoy a glass of wine where it was quiet and peaceful. Our maid Teresa was awesome and always left our room nice and clean. We had a new design with our towels everyday! She was always smiling and made sure to say Good morning every day to us.
I have travelled all over and never seen a beach quite like this one...it is amazing! The water was clear and warm. If you are looking for a long beach to walk, this isn’t it. They have pedal boats that look interesting but we never made it out on one, maybe next time.
Overall my trip was awesome...no complaints!
If you have a chance to do a day trip to Havana, go. Zahily arranged us a private tour with our own taxi and an English guide. It was awesome. If you do a private guide, you can let them know what you want to see. If not, you will get lots of history….
I really enjoyed the Melia Las Americas so thank you so much.
I will be back soon for sure!!!!

Room Tip: Bungalow suites are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank JKG01
Dear Valued Guest,
We are genuinely thankful that you have chosen Melia Las Americas to enjoy your father 80th Birthday, and for your positive opinions about your stay in our Hotel.
It is nice to read that you describe your stay as awesome and found our staff amazing. We will be very happy and pleased to pass your kind remarks to our staff, as comments like yours encourage them to do their best.
I will be honoured and pleased to greet you personally during your next visit.
Kind regards,

Laval, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2013

For people who like to complain and are picky about every single little detail, I recommend you go to a hotel no one else can afford, since you probably already have had that experience.

I had a very positive experience at this hotel. If you're a simple person that is looking for a mind-blowing beautiful beach, nice people, good food and and room to just sleep in, then this is YOUR hotel. The buffet had a great diversity of food, the Japanese restaurant had great sushi and the Sea food restaurant had delicious lobster. The cooks, Victor Hugo in my case, always pass by to see if you're satisfied with your food. About the rooms, although they might be a tiny outdated, mine was always super clean (shout-out to my cleaning lady, Olga, the most sweetest woman ever!).

Now this is a little unconventional, but I'd like to make shout-outs to everyone I met at the hotel because I know they'll be reading this!
Frank: a great animator and an amazing person over all! Never lacks energy! Make sure to get him M&Ms!
Gulio: celui qui ravive l'hôtel! A toujours le sourire aux lèvres et un don de faire sourire les autres! Gulio, tu es une boule d'énergie et tes costumes sont marrants! Je t'adore! Ne change pas!
Boris: the man that does everything! From assuring you find yourself a good place on the beach to being at your service when you are most thirsty! It was great talking to you and getting a glimpse of your expert physiotherapeutic advice!
Felix: best security guard! Takes good care of everything going on at the beach at night time just like during the day! Pienso de ti, cuidate!
Leslie: she had such an addictive laughter! This lady is a sweet-heart!
Yussimi: made our nights at the lobby's bar the most memorable! Be sure to ask her to make you a ''chica problematica'', she's an expert barmaid!
Alberto: ay mi madre! This guy is the funniest man you'll meet at the bar! All the best to you senor!
Belkis: always ready to help, takes care of you like a mother! Thank you Belkis!
Cafeteria employees: most wonderful people I've ever met! They know how to make your mornings bright and your evenings romantic! Good job guys!

To you who are reading this, may your experience be as great as mine at this hotel.

Jessica

Room Tip: Bungalows are quieter and closer to the beach and pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Jessy2791
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to express my most sincere appreciation for your comments regarding the hotel and staff. The greatest motivation for us is to know that you were pleased with our service. We know that we have still a lot to be done; we are working everyday to make it better.
We will gladly inform our personnel about your gratitude as they will give them confidence to increase the quality of their daily services.
I hope to have the honour of welcoming you for your next visit in Melia Las Americas soon.
Cordial greetings.