“Great hotel, nice beach” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Melia Las Americas

Melia Las Americas
Ranked #5 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Zagreb
“Great hotel, nice beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in June 2013, and had a great time. We booked the cheapest type of room, but asked for the room with the view of the golf course on upper floors, and got it. The hotel staff was helpfull, the food was really good, a lot of choices, specially among fruits and juices. We loved their pies!! Best we ever ate...
Also, the mail pool was really nice, and the sunbeds were great and always available.
We enjoyed the fact that it is an adults only resort so it was really quite and peaceful.
Among the bars we prefer LA CASCADA, since it is open 24h and has the best hamburgers...
also in the evenings, a lady with wonderfull voice, named Blanka, sings there and I would definitly recommend it (I think she sings Sat-Tue).
Lobby bar is also very good with wonderful pina coladas, and the staff working there is the best of all around the resort.
Beach is nice, very available and close, and we liked the fact that is close to the main pool. So we stayed at the pool and went swimming in the ocean as well.
We prefered staying in the main building rather than in the bungalows. I must also mention that the gardens are kept really well, and evertything is clean and nice.
The big shopping mall - Plaza Americas is very close to the hotel, next door, so that was good to see also (totally diffrent from what we are use to, here in Europe).
We made an organized trip - 3 cities, and liked it a lot. Quite lot od driving in the bus, but it was interesting for us, since it was our 1st time in Cuba.
Overall, we had a great time in Melia Las Americas and would definitly return!

5 Thank majavola
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to express my most sincere appreciation for your comments and that your are thinking to come back to Melia La Americas. The greatest motivation for us is to know that you were pleased with our service. We will gladly inform our staff about your comments as they will give them confidence to increase the quality of their daily services.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Melia Las Americas for the second time and please let me know in advanced any details to look after your requests with pleasure.
Stefano Sturni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (979)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Bursall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were there from March 15 - 23 and enjoyed every minute of our holiday. Our room was clean and the mini bar was always stocked. The staff were all very friendly and always there to help. The food was good and there was always The only thing that disappointed me was the golf they advertise it as free but charged $33/person for a mandatory cart. The beach was beautiful... we will definitely be going back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank saskwedding
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you immensely for taking the time to share your detailed experience with others and for your nice comments about our resort, food, and service.

I am overjoyed to read that your visit to Melia La Americas for your honeymoon was a dream trip and that our staff made you feels welcomed and loved. We will keep on working hard to provide the best of all ourselves. Our goal is always to exceed our guests´ expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Melia Las Americas again and let me tell that will celebrate the V Edition of the Meliá Cuba Golf Cup from october 24th up to october 26th, on this event will take place golfers from more than 12 countries and a lot of fun is guaranteed.
DO NOT MISS IT!

Best regards,
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was our second time in Cuba and I will not hurry back.

On the positive side the beach is beautiful and very close to the hotel. The hotel is "OK" but undergoing renovations so, you can't always get the room you want.

The food is good but they run short of things- hamburgers one day and they don't always have the yogurt you may want in the buffet restaurant. The beer & wine are good but the main problem is the service : the staff, in my opinion and in the opinion of just about everybody there, just don't know what customer service is. The staff won't service you with refills unless you tip them- it's all about the tips.

There are exceptions: Raul at the pool bar at the "seafood bar" is one of those who truely loves his job. This obession with tips seemed to be a common compliant among most of the people at the airport as we were leaving Cuba - by the way, why should we be paying $50.00++ to leave this place?? Note: after buying duty free you are told you have to buy a "duty free" bag for 95 pesos!!- don't do it- they will give you any ordinairy bag but it is not as strong as their duty free bag.

We found that the staff was not eager to serve you unless you tipped them-they would walk by- this gets to be very expensive over a period of a week if you have to tip each time you get served. The problem is that the staff, at times, are surly and rude.

It does not help that you encounter this attitude even at the check-in stage. We had a problem with our room- it had been upgraded to a juniur suite but it overlooked the end of the hotel driveway and, the room was not secure-the main problem was that after you locked the front door you could simply push the door open-the frame was not a standard size and we would not stay in it-we returned to reception and were told that there was nothing we could get and no rooms were available on the third floor-ocean view or at all. My wife ended up describing this person as a "b". We returned 15 minutes later and got a wonderful lady who gave us a room on the second floor with a ocean view-why couldn't we get this the first time round?

The reason for the request for the third floor was that you might not have an ocean view because, on the lower levels, the palm trees can obstuct your view of the ocean.We were in the middle and the view was great. You may want to considered a view overlooking the golf course so that you do not get the oppressive sun in the late afternoon ( you might also see a bit of the ocean).

The room was good but the beds are "firm". I understand that some renovations are underway.

The problem with our trip was that it was in the slow period when there is less staff. In addition, the management choses to cut the air conditioning to most of the hotel except for the rooms- I suspect this is to save money.

The problem with this cost cutting measure is that widows are left open in areas such as the main buffet. This becomes a problem because BIRDS fly in and out of the room over the food and diners. I saw a bird, on 2 occasions land on a diner"s plate when that person left to get a drink etc.!! These birds hop around looking for food. If they fly around and want to "relieve" themselves, where do you think their droppings can land??--on the food spread out in the buffet area- I would think that this is a serious health issue.

I am told that there is a new food manager and that some changes are forthcoming but, don't hold your breath as management does not seem to have control of staff or, they have not trained staff properly. I have not been to any resorts recently where staff socialize with guests, sit at the bar to have a drink or eat food- this encourages an attitude that the resort is as much for staff as it is for paying guests. We complained to to one waiter at the seafood restaurant that his co-worker was rude and the reply: the othe worker views himself as the tourist and that we worked for HIM !!! Management has no apparent control over staff.

I went down to use the washroom at the beach one afternoon and I almost gagged because of the smell. I have seen the same woman clean all of the washrooms- there may be more than one but I did not see anyone else- I went back after and the staff person had cleaned the facility and it was good at that time.

The chain needs to have a "mystery guest or couple" attend to see things first hand. I suspect that if some staff were fired then, the others might follow corporate policy ( if there are any). This is not a new chain and I went to the hotel because they had a good reputation.

The golf course is good but you have to pay for a cart which is probabaly about $33.00 pesos per person.+++ The "plus" is that the hotel only gives you 88c for your dollar at the reception desk. The bank at the mall "next door" gave me 90 pesos for for each dollar. The hotel rate for golf for 2 with cart and clubs is $164.00 pesos+for balls, tees etc. The back nine is a challenge when you are tired and thirsty. There are water hazards everywhere but the views of the ocean are great. We stopped at the 10th hole for a beer and the cart girl charged $3.75 for a Crystal beer which sold for $5.00 Canadian for 2 at the airport. The same beer sold for $1 pesos at the nearby mall. The mall also has a cigar store and I found that the staff were "customer oriented".

There were about 14 rounds of golf sold on the day we were there with, I'm told, about 300 rounds processed in the "high" season.

My wife indicated, in a hotel survey that satff be told to smile. I spoke to one waiter who stood ouside in the breeze, that he was glad to get out of the heat of the bar / kitchen area.

The hotel provides live entertainment. The girl who sang in the Italian resaurant could do better if in the states or Canada and, the string quartet in Continental restaurant were superb!!- one member even solicited customers for requests and, the sevice here was exceptional..

I would not recomend this hotel unless for the golf ( unless there was a shake up in the staff).

There were a few days at the baech were the security allowed 2 women to sell their wares. The problem with this was that I was concerned to leave my stuff on the beach when I went into the ocean to swim. Note that there were a few topless guests on the beach- no compliants here!

George Smith

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank George S
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
We are genuinely thankful for your opinions about your last stay in our Hotel.
I’m offering my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations,particularly regarding the food although they are prepared to satisfy the varied tastes of our clientele.

In relation to the air condition system I ' am pleased to inform you that we had a technical problem but nowday we solved it for that reason we improved the whole product to meet all our guests´s expectations.

We will be honoured and pleased to greet you personally during your next visit.
Kind regards,
Rosemere qc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

we were there from the 20th to the 27th of June 2013...it was our second trip to this location..and all things said ...for this time of year...the quality versus price ratio was excellent...the rooms were very clean,.... the food very acceptable unless you want pasta...then it is terrible...stay away from the pasta bar ...but for all meals there is a grill bar...where you can have steak, chicken,fish or pork ...cooked in front of you as you want it.....so thats a nice touch...the beach is beautiful..and in June the water is at about 88F...so we spent the whole week in the ocean , we never went to the pool....all in all , i highly recommend this hotel

2 Thank rightss
Dear Valued Guest,
We appreciate immensely your taking some of your invaluable time to share your experience at our Hotel with others.

I am very glad to know that your visit to Melia Las Americas was perfect and you are still thimking to come back.
We will be very happy and pleased to pass your gentle opinions because comments like yours, motivate them to improve the quality of the services they provide.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Melia Las Americas for the third time and please let me know in advaced any details to look after your requests with pleasure.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I spent 23 days at the MLA late May through early June. Once again a great stay. Last time, in April, I was in the hotel, this time I had a bungalow. I liked the bungalow a lot as it was more spacious, private and the lovely garden views from my terrace were a fine way to begin my day with my morning coffee. My room was a one cigarette walk to the La Cascada outdoor area for my second coffee. Once again I ate only at the La Cascada and at the buffet as I was much too busy to walk across the lobby to bother booking the al a carte restaurants. There is only so many hours in the day after all. The beach was perfect as usual with numerous loungers available so the 'get up at 6 to put one's towels on a couple of loungers' was not necessary. They same applied to the 4 pools loungers. The water in the Atlantic was stone free with lovely under foot sand to wander into the tepid ocean. Beautiful.
As usual, the staff was amazing. Kudos go out to Ivis, Miriella, Annabel, Dunay, Valdin, etc, etc, for their wonderful service, friendship, smiles and an attitude of wanting to please. The lobby bar is a great place for a before dinner drink (drinks...sometimes missed dinner) with lovely piano music and interesting guests to converse with. A great morning coffee awaits those who get up before noon. I met folks from Germany, Russia, Canada, GBI, Swiss, Argentina so many thoughtful, insightful, spiritual (??), semi sober and other wise conversations could be had. Some conversations could even be deciphered! A great group of guests and well attended by Yusi, Belkis and the ring leader Miriella. Have a camera and M is in the shot!
Julio has new costumes!! He was a matador a couple of times and I bull rushed him across the lobby. A perfect move and a cry of "ole" was heard. I kept on moving towards the Lobby Bar. Mojitos are so good!
As from my past visits to the MLA, the evening entertainment was excellent at both the Teatro and at the La Cascada (Disco Bar). Amazing dancers, singers and even non professionals were able to attempt to sing at the La Cascada. Some could even carry a tune! Fortunately for the audiences I passed as I was NEVER drunk enough to attempt my Robert Plant/ Led Zeppelin impression.
Do I enjoy staying at the MLA? You betcha! The service, the wonderful staff - all are fabulous! - the grounds, the food, the ambience of the MLA make this resort, to me, the best choice in Varadero. Being in love with Cuba, it's history, it's culture and especially it's people makes for a great all inclusive stay, sans kids under 18, that couples, singles, grumpy people, old and young, can enjoy. Even me...and I'm not grumpy or that old.

Room Tip: Chose a bungalow for single or couples. As for a king bed as two singles pushed together don't c...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank bertman_12
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to express my most sincere appreciation for your comments. The greatest motivation for us is to know that you were pleased with our service. We will be very happy and pleased to pass your kind remarks to our staff, as comments like yours encourage them to improve and offer the best of themselves.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Melia Las Americas again and please let me know in advaced any details to look after your requests with pleasure.
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I went to Cuba for the first time in June 2013. We were predominantly after a beach holiday with a bit of culture mixed in, we picked this hotel based on many of the great reviews on here.

I'll start with Cuba in general... to sum it up It was ok but I wouldn't go back. On the plus side the weather was good (it was rainy season so we expected the showers), sunsets were quite late, there weren't too many kids and the beach was nice. On the down side everything is a bit tired, the service was poor 90% of the time and there wasn't a lot to see in Varadero. We went to Havana which was interesting but very run down, our guide kept saying 'come back in two years it will all be redone' but I'm not convinced, I get the feeling it will be more like 20 years. Went to Club Tropicana, where the drinks are certainly not free... you get a bottle of rum between 4 but other than that the drinks are very expensive (including soft drinks), we didn't rate the show much either. Varadero lacks culture, there is nothing but tacky gift stalls for us tourists, all which sell the same stuff, oh and shop around before you buy anything.We didn't bother with it in the evening so it may have been better by night.

Onto the resort... It was very tired, everything felt like it could do with a good scrub and a lick of paint, our bath needed replacing and no one has ever cleaned above the picture in the room! The food was varied, and the spectrum went from horrendous to excellent. Lets start with the buffet, that was good actually, the earlier to opening you go the better it is, saying that though there is always fresh cooked fish, meat and pasta. The cheese is... Interesting. The international restaurant has the reputation of being the best, but the first time we went I could not have disagreed more strongly, what I had was bad bad bad, I had the lobster bisque to start, which didn't taste of lobster, in fact tasted more of mud, followed by the ravioli, which was blandness covered in bland sauce, seasoned with some extra bland. However the second visit (which we were dreading) was great, food delicious, service good and the string quartet even played us Hey Jude (as all us Brits love the Beatles!). Given my experience do not order the lobster bisque or the ravioli, the beef or prawn starter and the beef or pork main course are the best option.

The Japanese was confusing for me. The sushi and miso soup was good then they attempted some theatrics with the main course but after all the effort of a flaming grill they served us meat, fish and rice! The seafood restaurant was fine, nothing to write home about. The Italian, however, was fantastic, the pizza, the pasta, the entrees, the desserts, all of it sensational.

We didn't really attend the shows in the evening but from what we saw they were ok.

Reading this back it sounds like a) we are incredibly grumpy and b) we had a bad holiday, but neither are true (well sometimes a). We didn't have a bad holiday, we had some lovely moments swimming in the clear blue sea, walking on the beautiful beach,having pre dinner drinks on the terrace and generally soaking up the extra laid back ambience at the hotel, I've just had similar experiences on holidays without some of the issues. I should also say I think that our hotel sounds like it was one of the better resorts in the area, so if you are dead set on Cuba this is a good option.

Some tips... Take a big travel mug/cup, the drinks on the beach come in teeny tiny little plastic cups, but if you take your own they will fill it up. If you want lemonade ask for sprite otherwise you get what tastes like lemon cordial. Take sun cream, it costs twice as much in Cuba and that's once you've tracked it down. Take cash and plenty of it... they are funny about accepting lots of cards, including Santander, so check with your holiday operator before you go, plus we did not find it cheap. Take long trousers and shoes, Club Tropicana and a lot of restaurants (in the hotel) won't let you in in shorts and/or flip flops. If you want decent service tip upfront, they won't be nice to you hoping you will tip! Don't forget your airport tax, you need 25 cucs each to get out of the country and finally make sure you spend the extra 3 cucs on internet access and check in online at the hotel 24 hours before your flight, the airport is not very organised and just being able to bag drop is a godsend in the heat!

9 Thank teamchilcott
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We are genuinely thankful for your positive opinion about your stay at Melia Las Americas and will gladly let our staff know about your kind comments in food and service, as they will give them confidence to increase the quality of their daily services. We should also like to inform you that we are carrying out some renovations to update the image and improve the whole product to meet all our guests´s expectations.

We will be honoured and pleased to greet you personally in your next visit and and I am offering my sincere apologies for not completely meeting yuor expectacions .

Kind regards,
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Was here with friends from June 29th to July 6th. We were exhausted teachers looking to rest after a hectic end of year! Initially wanted to go to Mexico, but the near 600$ difference made us choose this Melia resort. Were all impressed with the quality of the hotel for such a good price. Cannot say anything negative about the place ( if I were difficult ... The hot tubs were being refurbished an were closed, that is all). Plenty of varied areas to sit and relax depending on our mood (great little bars, huge lobby with a pianist every night, terraces, isolated tables and chairs, Hamas, etc.) staff are hard working and kind. Beach is great, always available chairs and shade, daily entertainment and active volleyball court. If you cannot find good food you are PICKY!!! I ate very well, very much and never the same thing twice... Had the best shrimp by the pool restaurant . The á la carte restaurants we tried ( Italian and International) were delicious and both had live musicians ho played any request... The live string quartet at Arcada were fabulous. 5 minutes away from a nice little shopping centre and a hop on-hop off shuttle to Varadero (where we had a wonderful supper in a cave(!) at La Grutta restaurant in Jonose park. The rooms are spacious and comfortabl and your fridge is stocked daily. Although we didn't golf the hotel is right next door to the Varadero golf course. The adults only policy was very much appreciated!!! A special shout out to Mercy and Daylin in the dining room, they were gracious, took very good care of us and made us smile every day. I would certainly return to this resort and recommend it to all!
P.S. had a free Pilates, Tai Chi, Yoga or water aerobic class every day and had a great, reasonably massage at the SPA!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Louise D
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Comments like yours are definitely nice to read. Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and thar you recommended and returned to Melia Las Americas. We are also pleased to know that our staff, whom we are very proud of, make you feel so welcomed. I am also very glad that you like our food and services at the resteurant and thank again for your nice words dedicated to Mercy and Daylin , in the dining room.
We look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back again to Melia La Americas.

Best regards,