“Can't Wait......” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“Can't Wait......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I can't wait to escape next year's long, cold winter to spend a sunny, warm & relaxing vacation at Melia Las Americas Resort, in Varadero, Cuba, This resort was recommended to my girlfriend & I, and it did not disappoint. We spent a week (April 18-25), forgetting about winter & work, in this beautiful, friendly and serene Resort! The hotel, the grounds, the room, the buffet food, the a la cartes, the staff & service (especially our favourite & fantastic server Enrique!!!), the beach, and the other Canadian guests we met, were all just amazing!!! Next year, I will bring my husband along with me as I know he will enjoy it as much as I did!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shar D
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I am very glad to know that your visit was sunny, warm & relaxing vacation at Melia Las Americas Resort wonderful and you are still dreaming to come back.

We will be very happy and pleased to pass your gentle opinions to all and specially to Enrique because comments like yours, motivate them to improve the quality of the services they provide.

I hope to have the honour of greeting you in Melia Las Americas soon.

Best regards,

Stefano Sturni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (978)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We booked our wedding at the melia las americas for April 19th of this year. We went down with a group of 17 people. Upon arrival at around 8pm at night we were horrified to find out that half of our group was being shipped off to the Xanadu golf course for the night because they didn't have rooms for us! I have no idea how this could be possible as we had booked this trip (with a group rate) almost 7 months prior. I was so upset because our wedding was a day and a half away and everything at the front desk was so completely unorganized! The saving grace for us was our wedding coordinator Karina. She went above and beyond for us. Making sure everyone had upgraded rooms the next day, booking golf for the boys and massages for myself an some of the girls. We also found out from another bride that she had been arguing with the front desk a few days prior to our arrival that nothing was ready for us. Karina really made our day special, she booked us photographers, group dinners and was constantly making sure we were being treated well and had everything we wanted. Karina honestly saved our vacation and wedding! I would also like to give a big shout out to Yordan, who was by far the best of the entertainment staff around. If you want to know where to go or where to buy anything he is your man! He is very knowledgeable and will help you with anything you want to do, just ask him. I would also like to mention our favourite waitress Ivis who is very attentive and will take good care of you in the outside lobby area, bring her gum, she loves it! Also our maid Teresa was very good at her job and always made sure our room was clean, even after a room party with all of our 17 guests! Overall after our awful first night, the staff I mentioned made our trip wonderful and unforgettable. The hotel was beautiful and clean. The beach and views were amazing and the food was great. There was a chef at the bungalow pool area who made the best food and special blue drinks. I would definitely stay there again as long as front desk organizes themselves better. Thanks again to Karina, Yordan, Ivis and Teresa!!!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Muffinstuff3
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I’ me very thankful for your taking the time to share your experience with others and for your kind comments about our hotel and AMAZING staff. I am quite pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to Melia Las Americas and found our personnel friendly and courteous.
We will gladly inform our staff about your comments, en particularly to our gem Karina, as they will give them confidence to increase the quality of their daily services.

I’m offering my sincere apologies for no meeting your expectation to the front desk at the moment of your arrival and I kindly inform you, that your review has been thoroughly analyzed with the department.

Looking forward to having the pleasure of your visit any time soon.
Kind regards,
Bursledon,Southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned after spending 11 nights at Las Americas as part of twin centre with Havana. Arrived at 2pm on a Sunday, we checked in to be told rooms not ready try after 4pm, we had stupidly thought as we did not arrive with a huge crowd we would be able to check in then have a nice cool dip in the Ocean - wrong! We did not feel the reception staff cared at all it was just come back after 4 and hope they will be ready. So not the best start but eventually got into room.
The rooms are nice and bright and of a reasonable size, the bathroom seemed a little tired but was perfectly adequate. The beds very comfortable, and the rooms very clean.
Food is very good, the buffet had something for everyone. Breakfast served the usual fruit, cereal, pastries, bacon, sausages, eggs cooked any way you like, plus plenty more. The only thing if you like your toast cooked you need to put it through the toaster at least twice. Some of the fruit juices are different but ver nice, worth a try. We never tried lunch there but Dinner was also good, there was plenty of choice with fish and meats cooked to order, good selection of cold meats and cheeses with salads of all types so you will never go hungry.
There seems to be booking problems with the other restaurant's. you need to book for the Italian, Japanese ,Seafood and International on trying to book these it seems you can only book each one once during a 7 day period but this is not written anywhere. They tell you the restaurant is fully booked and yet when you do get there over half the tables are empty. It is so frustrating. So you may need to be persistent it pays off! The food in the International is excellent, and served with style and elegance really well worth going. The Italian was ok but there is more pasta served in the buffet. It is mainly pizza which was somewhat disappointing,
The beach is beautiful with plenty of loungers and shade if you want it. Lovely little beach shops well worth a look around. There is definitely a tipping culture here, whilst I will always tip when it's deserved I don't agree with tipping at every drink. We even saw tipping the cook to cook the eggs even though others were in the Que. slicing meat deserves a tip - I think not. That is my only critisicism of the hotel, but generally really enjoyed our stay in what can only be described as a lovely hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Pat N
Dear valued guest,
First of all, I would like to express my most sincere appreciation for sharing your experiences so soon after arriving home. We are pleased to read your description as a lovely hotel and that you mostly enjoyed your stay.
Your valuable comments have allowed us to identify opportunities for improvement in the services we offer, and we thank you for it.
We hope to have the occasion to greeting you in Meliá Las Américas again in the future.
Regards from Varadero.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I just got back from Melia Las Americas: The people from the door man the people at the front desk & Ivon making our arrangement sooo special! The food in all restaurant & buffet was simply marvelous. The bar people always check how many sugar drink I have since I'm a diabetic everybody always ask how is your sugar. It's nice that these people take such good care of me just like family. Nelson & Ivon & their daughter are always there to give a a big hug when they see me & when I visit there place I don't know what I would have done with all I've been through without there special love. Every time I think it's be best but they always add & change things to make me appreciate it more from the beach part & the night club act there more things to do if you want to keep busy or just lie on their beautiful beach the best I've ever been. Now I've been going for 19 years since the hotel openned use to be once a year when I worked now that I'm retiered it's 2 to 3 times a year it always gets better my nephew has come the last 2 years & he tells everyone what a beautiful place this is oh & so do I just go & see you will LOVE IT like the rest of us see you in November

Room Tip: myfavorite is with a view of the ocen but really I have never had a bad room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DeniseJulien
Dear valued guest,
We appreciate immensely your marvellous comments about your recent visit to our Hotel and we are deeply moved knowing that you have visit Meliá Las Américas for 19 years, and you are still remembering the good times spent here that made it so unforgettable.
We want to say thank you very much for your preference. Will be my pleasure to welcome you once again soon.

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had last been at the Melia las Americas 9 years ago and found the resort to be in great shape. The property may be a little dated but it is very well maintained and spotless. The 4 pools are cleaned every morning and I found them to be comfortably warm. As a lap swimmer I found what felt like my own personal lap pool just outside our bungalow. Although there is a bit of a scramble to get chairs by the beach bar where all the action is, there were always chairs available at the pools. We opted for a bungalow this time and were very pleased. There is a lounge area with a small kitchen and a separate bedroom. Both areas have a tv and both have balconies. Our bungalow was on on two floors; our friends' was on one level.

We found the food to be quite good. As many reviewers have said, one does not go to Cuba for the food. I found the buffet to be substantially improved over our last visit. The food was tasty and there was a lot of choice. There are 4 a la carte restaurants and it is important to reserve your seat when you first arrive. Staff were very accommodating and we were able to change one 9:30pm reservation to 7pm. The ambiance in all the restaurants was excellent, as was the service, but we particularly enjoyed the italian restaurant.

The staff were great. I felt that they were proud of their work and their resort and although we were free with tips I believe an acknowledgement of their efforts was sufficient in many cases. They all wear name tags and I made a point of thanking them by name. This is an adult only resort and the patrons were largely older...I am 58...but the entertainment staff were tireless at motivating us to participate in beach and pool activities which were very well done. The wait staff were very efficient and tried very hard to keep up with all the requests, especially at the buffet. The maids will do their best to meet your special requests. I am recovering from a back injury and was able to obtain a bed topper. Our only complaint was with the bar service. Although there were only a few times we were unable to get drinks for various reasons, we found the bar staff sometimes indifferent with different priorities than service. We were advised that the bar tenders were also required to wait tables, so this might explain the sometimes spotty service. Special thanks to Valdin who is always the consummate professional.

Pros:The beach is beautiful although you are prohibited from walking more than 15 minutes in either direction by the golf course and a bluff.
The golf course is right next door.
Adults only....a great bread from the kids
Quiet, although you can find the nightlife if you choose
you are always just steps from the beach or a pool.
Cons: The beds are hard.
The are lots of steps which may provide problems if you have mobility issues.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank chrissybe131
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear valued Guest,
We are very thankful for your taking the time to share your experience with others and for your kind comments about our hotel and our Staff, in particular about our Entertainment team. I will be very happy and pleased to pass your gentle opinions to all of them and your special thank you to Valdín, because comments like yours, motivate them to continue improving the quality of the services they provide. We know that we have still a lot to be done, we are working everyday to make it better.
Also I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our restaurants, particularly the Italian one “Il Limoncello”.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you in Meliá Las Américas again soon.
Kind regards.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great fun here, people very friendly and the whole atmosphere relaxing. Trip to Havana compulsory, don't miss it as fantastic city, the Hotel International is awesome.

Food wise you get a bit fed up after 2 weeks but the drinks definitely make up for it as do the friendly staff.

Played golf a couple of times, course bit shabby and golf balls very expensive, cheaper to book the golf directly with the golf club rather than go through the hotel and if you can take your own golf clubs even better.

If you smoke but cigarettes outside the hotel as they are more expensive in the hotel itself.

Room Tip: We got a de-luxe corner room overlooking the beach on the first floor which was great as it had a la...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
We appreciate immensely your taking some of your invaluable time to share your experience at our Hotel with others. I am quite pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to Melia Las Americas and found our personnel friendly. We will gladly inform our staff about your comments as they will give them confidence to increase the quality of their daily services.

I hope to have the honour of greeting you in Melia Las Americas soon.

Best regards,
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

My partner and I just returned from our 3rd visit (16-23 April 2013) at Melia Las Americas in 2 years. We were so excited to see so many familiar faces that greeted us with open arms and smiling faces. We have been to this hotel twice before and it seems that things just keep getting better. First of we would like to thank Osmani who took such great care of us durning our week stay. We would also like to thank the Buffet staff who work so hard every day but always have a table ready and smile, especially Rosa, Cecilio, Betty and Mercedes. A special thank you to Belkis at the bar who served us wonderful drinks every afternoon and always greated us always with a huge smile. as well as the young lady who played the piano every day. What a great way to end every day. A cold drink while listening to the piano. Finally, we would like to thank Yordan from the beach who made us laugh everyday. He even got me to try Archery!! All these special people made this holiday the best holiday at the Melia so far. Thank you all so much. We look forward to seeing you all next year.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to tip...this people work hard.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard Mr R
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
We appreciate immensely your taking some of your invaluable time to share your experience at our Hotel with others. I am very glad to know that your third visit to Melia Las Americas was wonderful and you have so many good memories about your stay among us.
We will be very happy and pleased to pass your gentle opinions to all our staff, because comments like yours, motivate them to improve the quality of the services they provide.
Looking forward to having the pleasure of your visit any time soon.
Cordial greetings.

Stefano Sturni
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Sol Hotel
Royal Palms
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Melia Las Americas? Share your experiences!