“Paradise, good food, great entertainment, excellent service and some of the nicest people you will ever meet!!”
Review of Melia Las Americas

Melia Las Americas
Ranked #5 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Just returned from our 7th trip to Cuba (our 3rd stay @ Las Americas) Needless to say, the quick V.I.P. checkin afforded returning guests in a great idea and after settling into RM #4310 Oceanview, we were off to get a bite to eat in the Buffet. Even tho it was 9 pm, we found lots to eat and were pleased, then off to the lobby bars to say Hi to old fiends and get welcome back hugs. Yusi, and the gang are always pleasant and we love the good working relationship that is obvious when you watch their interaction. Entertainment in the 24 hrs lobby bar was really quite good. The singer has a voice that will blow you away, she does Adele's songs just as well as Adele, and her guitarist is also very talented. It was wonderful walking out of our room in the morning and finding our maid Julia from last year ready with hugs and kisses. The staff of this hotel are by far the friendliest most accomodating people and Mr. Stefano the GM and Zahily from Customer Service can be proud!! Do not miss one of Raul's special margaritas at the Seafood Barbeque Bar. The ala carte restaurants served us very tasty meals, especially the International Gourmet on my hubby's BIrthday. Beautiful dinner, excellent wine (we purchased) for the birthday celebration, however, house wine is Chilean and is good. The live music accompany our dinner was very entertaining. Oh, I forgot to mention the ice-bucket chilled bottle of Champagne waiting for us when we came up from the pool on the Birthday. It was nice to sip as we got ready for dinner. Back to entertainment, lobby bar has a piano player nightly, but the 24 hr club has live dance musc if you are so inclined. Another huge plus......24hr room service, yummy burgers and we had breakfast in the room once...delicious and at the door in 20 minutes.
There are lots of activities going on doing the day, Spanish lesson, salsa lessons, couples games, volleyball and Beverley, Luidmila and the rest of the entertainment staff are at your disposal. We did notice a lot more younger couples than last year and having met a few of them, they were very pleased with the resort and the fact that it boasts the only on site Golf Course in Varadero. This course is beautiful and well-maintained. This resort is immaculate and the grounds are beautiful. The pools are sparkling and spotless. I cannot imagine staying anywhere else in Varadero. My husband and I travel quite a bit and we do our research, we will be going back again next year and the only thing I would like to see changed is.......Chef Rey back behind the Sushi Bar in the Japanese restaurant!!! Please, please Stefano!!

Room Tip: We have only stayed in an Oceanview room in the main hotel, however, I hear some of the bungalows ar...
3 Thank 944bev43
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear valued Guest,
First of all, I would like to express my most sincere appreciation for getting back to me so soon after arriving home. The greatest motivation for us is to know that a guest was pleased with our service. Thank you for your kind remarks about our staff. They will be very happy and pleased to read throughout your review. Comments like yours encourage our staff to be better.
We will be very pleased if we can count with your visit on your next vacations in Cuba.
Regards from Varadero.

Stefano Sturni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,020)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel was something last minute for my wife and myself. We have been to Cuba 5 times and the last two visits were at the Blau Varadero. I would have to say the grounds of this hotel are excellent, safe and well lit up. The view from the common area in the lobby to the beach is fantastic. When we first arrived it was late at night. The first room given to us was in the main hotel overlooking the golf course. However, it had no balcony. We were given a different room the next day still in the main hotel but this time overlooking part of the ocean and golf course. Israel the bell hop was very helpful to us and helped us get a nicer room... which we were able to preview before committing. During the day the beach entertainment was fabulous. Frankie is a great guy and he made our stay very enjoyable. Each time he saw us it was like getting a greeting from an old friend with a smile. We ate at the buffet each day. We heard to many horror stories about the a la carte's. The buffet was a little repetitive, but there was always a good selection of things to eat. First time I stayed at a hotel in Cuba with real salad and cherry tomatoes. Nice touch, and a big thank you to the staff in the buffet.... particularly Rafael, Rosey, Mercy and Aurora.

We would stay at this property again. Enjoyed the grounds, the food and the staff. The only thing that bummed me out was the fact I could not smoke my wonderful cuban cigars inside the building near the bar where they make the best coffee and alcohol drinks.

Thanks Melia Las Americas... we will be back.

Jason from Winnipeg

Room Tip: in main hotel try and get second floor or higher for the best view.
3 Thank dash8winnipeg
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to express my most sincere appreciation for your comments. The greatest motivation for us is to know that you were pleased with our service.

We will be very happy and pleased to pass your kind remarks to our staff, in particular to Israel and the all the guys you mentioned in the buffet, as comments like yours encourage them to improve and offer the best of themselves.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Melia Las Americas again.
Best regards,

Burns Lake
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I must say my first night experience was not the best, but the next day the front desk staff did thier best to up grade us to the orginal room we were suppose to have. My husband and his friend definately enjoyed the inclusive golf 9 out of the 14 days we stayed here
We enjoyed 1(international) out of the 4 al la cartes, but I must say the buffet had a good variety to eat, so we were fine with the eating there. I feel they could improve on the bar service. There was none around the pool areas and getting a drink around the inside bars was a challenge sometimes.

Men be aware that you MUST wear long pants at all restaurants in the evening,including the buffet...no exceptions,but women can get away with anything including your sleepwear(lol)..seen that!

The cleaning staff was good ,but not exceptionly fussy about their cleaning..Laundry assistance was a nice thing to have..

It would have been nice to have wi-fi, but survived with out it. It certainly would be a bonus to stay in touch with home base.

Room Tip: we enjoyed the Junior Loft suite. It was nice to have the groud level patio. and 101 was perfect acc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dramamarj
Dear Valued Guest:
First of all, thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion about the deficiencies in the quality of our hotel services. We do value your comments and we have taken actions to improve the bar service, mainly around the pool areas, as you suggested.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Melia Las Americas once more.

Best regards,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is a smaller and more intimate resort with an ambiance more like a swanky country club than a hotel. The rear of the lobby opens onto an elegant terrace sweeping down to the best beach in the area. We do not golf but enjoyed the excellent entertainment. The resort is populated by a small army of musicians. Staff were kind courteous and efficient. The room was spotless.
Caught between a government of septuagenarian control freaks with 1959 calendars on their walls and a mean spirited US trade embargo, Average Cubans like the hotel staff bear it all with dignity and good humour and deserve decent tips. No-one goes to Cuba for the food but the buffet was very good. Mostly fresh and varied. Of the other restuarants, The International was excellent even by Calgary standards but you need to book as soon as you arrive. The Japanese and Italian restuarants score 4/5 for decor and ambiance and 1/5 for food and not worth booking. Don't miss a day or two in Havana with the Tropicana show. Just ignore the political diatribe on the way from the tour guide.

Room Tip: If you book an ocean view room, the ones at each end of each corridor do not have verandahs
1 Thank Rodney H H
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This golf resot occupies the most beatiful part of Varadero beach and proximity to Dupont's house gives it additional charm. Wonderful beach, beautiful views of cliffs nearby, nicely landscaped hotel grounds and right on the golf course makes it a great destination. Service is hit and miss, food is OK, entertainment shows are excellent! Even entertainment on the beach unlike many other resorts is very good.

Advice: bring canadian dollars, not US as exchange rate is more favourable for canadian. Exchange money in nearby bank located in Plaza Americas (shopping mall). If you plan to play golf bring your own clubs as you will pay $50 to rent a set that might not be to your liking. Tip all the time if you want good service, small amounts but all the time!

Enjoy!

Room Tip: We were in room on the ground floor, interesting "loft" concept but not a great view. Thes...
1 Thank Ottawa_travel53
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We are very thankful for your taking the time to share your experience with others and for your kind comments about our hotel and its surroundings.

I am quite pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to Melia Las Americas. We will gladly inform our Entertainment Show dancers about your comments as they will give them confidence to increase the quality of their daily services.

Looking forward to having the pleasure of your visit any time soon.

Kind regards,

Montreal
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in January 2013 and again March 11 to 18 2013.
I agree with all the positive reviews about this hotel.
I returned because of my good experience...its proximity to the golf course,mostly friendly service
from the restaurant,bar,and cleaning staff.
The management seems to be truly interested to improve the experience and is eager for feed back from the guests
A nice touch was a "repeaters" dinner, where all returning guests were invited.
The only concern I now have is that a guest that I met at that dinner told me that after checking out on the 17th...at 12 pm...while awaiting his pick up at 6 pm..The front desk confronted him with an accusation that a towel was missing from his room. He invited them to open his luggage and search for the towel.
Well the next day I checked out at 12 noon and left my bag at the bell hop room. when I went to retrieve it just before 6 pm..there was a note on my bag to present my self at the front desk.
There I was told that my beach towels were missing from my room! My response was that I never took them out of my room.and they were 100% there when I left the room. The person at the front desk decided to drop the subject, and allow me to catch my bus. I also was ready to allow them to check my bag if they so wished.
There is definitely a problem here that management needs to deal with before the reputation of this fine hotel is damaged.
I invite the general manager Stefano Sturni to contact me if he so wishes

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank gemi99
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We went for golf and got lots of it. We played golf six rounds during our seven day visit. A really nicely designed golf course and if you think it is too easy, you might sneak back to the closed back (gold) tee boxes and give it a whirl. We left our clubs at the course in club storage with no problem so we showed up and played and when we were done we made our way to La Arcada to meet up with our favourite bar tender.

We got to know most of the staff by talking to them often and they treated us like gold. We tipped small but often and I think they appreciated it. We were almost always greeted with a smile.

The International restaurant was excellent and the Japanese was nothing really to write home about. The buffet was as good as you wanted it to be. Lots of choice and someone always ready to make you a meal.

All in all a great to get away and play some golf, swim in the ocean, and enjoy a Mojito or Cristal.

I'll be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank colbansco
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you immensely for taking the time to share your experience with others and for your invaluable comments about our Hotel .

I am very glad to know that your visit to Melia Las Americas was as delightful as you expected and that you loved every minute of it.

We will be very pleased to pass your gentle opinions to our staff as comments like yours, motivate them to improve the quality of the services they provide , you can be sure they will be very proud to know that you felt they treated you like gold !

I hope to have the honour of greeting you in Melia Las Americas soon.

Kind regards,