“Amazing Holiday!!”
Review of Melia Las Americas

Melia Las Americas
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just returned from this resort and can't say enough about it! Rooms were very clean, fridge stocked daily, Midalys our chambermaid was wonderful, I wanted to take her home with us!!! Balcony overlooked the ocean and golf course, we spent every morning sipping cofee and enjoying the view. Rosie and Valdin best servers, went out of their way to give 10 Star service! Food was plentiful and good! Never went hungry! Golf course was in great shape. The only problem would be booking tee times as the representative had limited hours and if you we're on the course you would miss the opportunity to rebook when done your round. Beach was beautiful and shallow enough for people who don't swim, crystal clear blue water. Already planning for next year but will be for 2 weeks instead of 1, was definitely not ready to end our stay!

1  Thank Barshell
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We are greatly thankful for your taking the time to share your experience with others and for your invaluable comments about your last trip to our Hotel.

I am very glad to know that your visit to Melia Las Americas was as enjoyable as you expected and we were able to satisfy your expectations. Besides, we would like to suggest that you can contact our Golf Coordinator in advance and she will gladly book your Tee times for you.

We will also be very happy and pleased to pass your gentle opinions to our staff as comments like yours, motivate them to improve the quality of the services they provide.

I wish I will have the honour of meeting you in Melia Las Americas soon during your next and hopefully, longer visit .

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I just returned from my first visit to Melia Las Americas. Not only was this my first trip to Cuba, but it was also my first experience in an all-inclusive resort.

Overall: I loved the property. From the beach to the facilities to the variety of dining and bar options, I thought the resort offered many different experiences.

Activities: The activities were possibly my favorite part of the time I spent at Melia Las Americas. They offered a wide variety of activities, including sushi making, dancing, Spanish lessons and archery. The activities team were fun and knowledgeable -- especially Eglis. He was very patient as I tried to figure out how to hit the archery target instead of just the roof. Participating in his events is a must!

Staff: In addition to Eglis, one other staff member stood out, giving me outstanding service. Mariella, a bartender in La Cascada, She was friendly, efficient and told me about some Cuban traditions. The resort should consider her a gem.

Dining: I did find the food hit-or-miss. I loved the lunch-time-only restaurant La Robleza BBQ. While the catch of the day, Mahi Mahi, was overcooked, it was still flavorful. The shrimp in olive oil with seared garlic was outstanding. I was less impressed with some of the other options. I did find the Cuban food much, much better than the resort's take on continental and other cuisines.

If you are planning to visit Varadero, you must consider Melia Las Americas!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you greatly for offering your valuable opinions about your stay in Melia Las Americas.

I am really glad to know that you could enjoy your last vacations and you can count on our passing your comments to our staff, specially to Eglis and Mariela.

We are looking forward to greet you personally during your next visit.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed at this resort with my wife and brother-in-law (and his wife) in early December 2012.

We were very impressed with the Cuban entry experience at Varadero airport compared to our last 2 trips to Cuba at Santa Clara and Holguin after which we swore we'd never return to Cuba. The bus trip to hotel was reasonably short with several other hotel stops along the way. Check-in at the hotel was almost instantaneous.

Our room was on the "cheap" side of the hotel, not facing the pool/sea but overlooked the golf course which was very pretty. Food was good and of course plentiful. No-one seemed to get sick.

Golf is free at the course which surrounds the hotel but mandatory cart rental I think of $60. Not sure the exact price as I didn't golf.

The only negative thing was that the largest pool (there are 4) was closed for painting and repair so the swim-up bar was not open. We spent most of the time on the beach which had lots and lots of trees or palapas for those of us that prefer shade. Good food and drinks by the beach so we didn't miss the pool bar toooooo much.

We took a day excursion into Havana, which was the main reason I wanted to stay at Varedero, and we loved it. It's a really neat place to wander through. I would like to go back some time and stay very close to Havana rather than ~2 hours away

The hotel next door was another Melia - the Melia Varedero and it was almost nicer that the one we were at except the beach is not so good and there were lots of kids. Ours is an adults only, which we prefer.

All in all, we were very happy with the holiday. We have stayed several times at Melias and prefer Melia's and Riu's to the Barcelo's, Sol's and others. True the hotel is a little old but it is well cared for and kept quite clean. Staff are all very friendly especially Raol the bartender at the pool bar (not swim-up bar)

Room Tip: Both sides are good, beach side is a little noisy and costs extra, other side overlooks golf course...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Koh-Samui2
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had our last of three weeks in Cuba at this hotel. We paid extra for an Ocean view room in the main hotel building. The food was good, nearly excellent, certainly the best we ate in five hotels in Cuba. The room was fairly large with sofa and chair and all inclusive minibar. Bathroom excellent.
The hotel is very clean but be aware that the decor is just a little worn and dated. Service was good although I did keep a wad of 1 cuc peso notes handy. The entertainment in the hotel theatre was mostly dance and some was excellent.
Lots of clean pools and nice beach with plenty of chairs and shades. This was January and most days sea was too rough for sailing and maybe swimming..
There are lots of steps around the hotel and grounds. Some of the rooms away from the main building would not be easy for poor walkers, wheelchairs totally limited access to most areas.
We had an all inclusive deal and you could throw down your neck as many drinks as you wished 24 hours a day. Again food is unlimited and the choice in the excellent self serve restaurant good.
Don't expect to see anything of Cuba in Varadero it is just beach, golf and hotels. No where to explore on foot.
A day out to Havana is possible, but would be a long an tiring journey. We spent our first week there and were captivated. The second week with a hire car and believe me the roads are very, very poor. Think of Varadero as a beach resort with plenty to eat, drink and sun and you will enjoy it.

Room Tip: If steps and walking are problems this not the hotel for you. Most rooms are in small buildingsaway...
5  Thank Iancrowson
Reviewed February 1, 2013

A group of us just returned from this hotel on Feb. 26,2013. We all really enjoyed the hotel and never went hungry. The buffets were great and always had a large selection of different foods.We all went to the different al a carte restaurants. Everyone enjoyed the Sakura(japanese), lemocella(italian) and Arcada(upscale) There was mixed reviews on the Robelleza, some in the group didn't like seafood and didn't have any options.Our room was very well kept up and overall service was great.Occasionally some times the bar tenders were a bit over worked but most of the time never went thirsty. I enjoy triying different foods and there was always something new to try. I always try to remember that when I am travelling that the food is different than home and that is good. If I want to eat Canadian food than I should just stay home. For those who like our salt and peper perhaps bring some with you as what is availabe in Cuba is perhaps not as stong. The golf course was very good, green fees included but club rentals and cart seemed a bit high.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank blycz

Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate immensely your taking some of your invaluable time to share your experience at our Hotel with others.

I am very glad to know that you really enjoyed you visit to Melia Las Americas and your stay was good and relaxing. We will be honoured and pleased to meet you personally during your next visit.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Once again terrific time golfing at the melia. Just us boys all went this time(10 of us) and things just keep getting better here.The pools all redone looking fantastic,but still not heated(not a problem still warm).The food has stayed good and plentiful and the people are just the best.The only fault I have is the beds are a bit hard for my liking but was told you can get a extra mat or something to put on top to give us pillowtop bed lovers a helping hand.What makes this such a great place is the staff, always there to help and so warm and friendly, free golf fees,just pay for cart rentals also it is walking distance from your room,and the fantastic beach.Great for singles as half of us are married and half where singles and the single guys always looked tired and bragging about the fun(wink wink).I will be going back to this resort every year end of november -first week of december for the rest of my life so long as they keep up the way they have been.I find first week with my pals and second week with my wife makes for a perfect holiday and you should too.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

We are greatly thankful for your taking the time to share your experience with others and for your invaluable comments about your 6th. trip to our Hotel.

I am very glad to know that your visit to Melia Las Americas was as enjoyable as you expected and we were able to satisfy all your expectations .

We will be very happy and pleased to pass your gentle opinions to our staff as comments like yours, motivate them to improve the quality of the services they provide.

I hope to have the honour of meeting you in Melia Las Americas during your 7th. visit this year.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Jan 11-26/2013
2nd trip to Cuba and the MLA(previous 2008). We are fairly experienced travelers with previous trips to Hawaii, Jamaica, Thailand and multiple trips to Mexico and the Dominican Republic. I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy and we are fairly easy to please and not too picky. I tip reasonably well once I receive good service

Due to some bizarre flight times we arrived at the hotel at 6:30 AM and thankfully were given a room right away. We chose a bungalow suite because over a 2 week period, we like having the extra space. We ended up in a stand-alone 2 story unit right beside the bungalow pool & snack bar. That was quite convenient.Our room is getting dated and showing some age but was quite clean. The "sitting area" furniture is wicker with cushions and not the most comfortable. The washroom had the old style narrow tub/shower combo with plastic shower curtain. Not much you can do with that infrastructure but we've been spoiled at some newer resorts in recent years that have much more modern facilities. Still had small, old tube-style televisions. I understand they are slowly renovating/refurbishing the rooms but they hadn't gotten around to ours yet. My wife thought the mattress was too hard for her.I had tweaked my knee and by the 2nd week the stairs up to the washroom and bedroom were getting a little tiresome.The room safes are the old style with a key that come with a significant fee should you ever lose it. Very inconvenient, Hiding or carrying that key around is a hassle. They really should look into the programmable safes. Overall we were fairly happy with the room. It was pretty much the same as our previous visit.

You never feel crowded here. The resort is spread out over the length of the 10th hole on the golf course which is 550 yards long. Lots of room on a great section of beach. All kinds of lounge chairs and palapas. No need for any towel games.We didn't use the main pool, we preferred the bungalow pool near our room which was more sheltered from any wind. The pool was quite "refreshing". It was entertaining to hear people squealing as they tried to enter beyond knee deep.They have a swim-up bar at this pool but you might need to be wearing a wet-suit to sit there for any length of time.

Food Service: Reservations required for dinner at the A La Cartes. These can be difficult to come by. They really seem to limit availability of these and use the antiquated booking system of lining up at the little desk at 9:15 AM to book. I knew the drill and went the morning of our arrival. Was able to book for week but was told had to return the following Friday to book the rest because the schedule for that week wasn't available yet. That meant that the whole hotel had to wait till one morning for access to reservations for the coming week.

La Terraza (buffet)- Pretty typical buffet with lots of selection. At breakfast they usually have champagne and orange juice right at the entrance and lots of bacon for this Western Canadian. The usual stations for fresh eggs in the mornings and different freshly cooked meats, fish and pasta for lunch or dinner. A different feature item on the buffet each night. Tuesday is Turkey night. I don't know where they got that roast beef but I would still be trying to chew it if I hadn't given up. Service was usually very good but we were missed or ignored a couple of times.
Grade for an all-inclusive buffet: B+

Sakura (Japanese)-I've learned not to expect too much from these all-inclusive versions of a Japanese Teppanyaki table but they can have good food and be fun/entertaining, This missed on both counts. We were on time for our reservation but were the 9th and 10th people to arrive at a table meant for 8. We were seated on the side of the adjoining table and the chef had his back to us. It turns out we didn't miss anything. The chef was pleasant and tried to make a couple of jokes but had absolutely no showmanship skills that are usually an integral part of the experience. He basically just stood there and stir-fried what turned out to be pretty bland and boring dinner. The food was hot though.
Grade: D, we cancelled our 2nd reservation here.

La Robleza (seafood) -
Lunch experience: 2X we tried to order the roast chicken. Both time were told it would take 45 minutes. Why have something on the menu that takes 45 minutes to prepare? My wife and I ordered BBQ ribs intead. The waiter eventually returned. He placed the plates down and said "we don't have ribs, here's a pork chop, enjoy" and quickly walked away. What a sorry, dried out overcooked piece of pork jerky we had the pleasure of "enjoying". One day we came here for lunch straight from a hot day on the golf course. I was dying for a beer and chose to go straight to the bar to save time. There were 2 people sitting at the bar who had already been served. The bar tender had his back to me and seemed to be making some type of specialty coffee. After about 5 minutes he finally noticed me, said he would be right back and ran off in the direction of the main lobby. He returned about 10 minutes later, finished making the coffee and delivered it to the lucky recipient in the restaurant. On the way back to the bar he stopped at 2 different tables and chatted for about 2 minutes at each. Finally I had my beer.
During the meal we asked for a 2nd beer as did the couple seated at the next table. Apparently they had run out of clean glasses, she put our glasses in one had and the other couples in the other hand and attempted to not mix them up as she took them back to the bar for a re-fill.

Dinner experience: Went twice, I think we only returned the 2nd time because we had run out of non-buffet options. They are using a fixed-plate tasting menu. Trio of appetizers 1)smoked salmon, not bad 2) couple of overcooked deep-fried shrimp and 3)couple of tiny mussles, I got one that did not open, you just shouldn't serve that. Next came a lobster/seafood bisque which was quite watery and bland, I make much better myself. Finally the main course was a piece of terribly overcooked tuna, a shrimp on a skewer that was head-on, non peeled or deveined. More trouble than it was worth trying to eat that, a few little cubes of some kind of whitefish that was edible but bland and half a grilled lobster that wasn't bad once you were able to wrestle the 2 ounce portion of tail meat out of the shell. The meal was accompanied by 1 slice of tomato, no potato, rice or any other vegetable.
Service was actually good but it's not too hard to serve a fixed plate menu. Just get the courses in the right order and re-fill water and wine glasses. The fixed plate really indicates there is little confidence in the cooking staff.
Grade: D

Il Limoncello(Italian)- On our trip in 2008 this became probably our favorite lunch spot out of all the resorts we have visited. Great food on an outdoor terrace just a step off the beach with a an unbeatable view. Sadly now it is not open at lunchtime.
At dinner you have a choice between a fixed-plate tasting menu or a la carte. We went 2X and ordered off the menu. I enjoyed really good pizza both times. On our second visit my wife ordered cannelloni (not sure about that spelling) The waiter arrived, I received my much anticipated pizza and the waiter put my wifes meal down, the rather large plate dwarfing the lonely single little piece of pasta on her plate. The waiter noticed her look of dismay and said she probably wanted more. She agreed saying that at least 2 pieces would be nice. He returned shortly with a 2nd piece of pasta for her. She had been served the portion that should go with the fixed-plate option. I was kind enough to share my pizza with her.
Grade B+, nice atmosphere, lady playing piano, food pretty good, one service snafu.

La Arcada (fine dining)
Fine dining, first class atmosphere. String duo or trio playing live music. Excellent service Nice menu, really good food.
Grade: a pretty solid A

You can also get pretty decent bar type food (burgers/sandwiches etc) at the bungalow pool from noon to 5 and 24 hours at La Cascada bar just off the main lobby.

Beverage service: Overall pretty good. They do not short pour and the booze is not watered down. You do have to specify your preferences though or you atomatically get the 3 year old rum or other bargain versions of spirits. The service directly at the bars is generally pretty good. I did notice a little bit of favortism either to big constant tippers(not me) or guests who had been there a while and the bartenders began to recognize(eventually that became me).
They also seemed to run out of Baileys on a nightly basis, Seemed to me like thay were rationing ie once these 2 bottles are gone, thats it for the day?
No Canadian Rye Whisky, I had to survive on Cuba Libre's, daquiries and beer.
The pool and beach bars use tiny little flimsy plastic 4 ounce glasses. You need a re-fill before you get back to your chair. They need to look into the bigger, sturdier, re-usable plastic glasses that some resorts now use. Bring your own travel mug.

Some service issues with the waiters on the outside patio, I generally found it quicker just to walk into one of the bars and order directly. One evening a friend and I ordered 2 drinks from a waiter whom my friend had noticed was very interested in a baseball game on TV inside the bar. After 15 minutes my friend asked a 2nd waiter to check on our order. The 2nd waiter returned shortly with our drinks and I volunteered a reasonable tip. After another 10 minutes the original waiter appeared with a now duplicate of our original order. After placing the drinks down he stood motionless tableside and after an awkward 5 seconds or so he asked if everything was OK. Unfortunately my friend then gave him a tip because I wasn't about to.

Golf course is in great shape, greens a little slow but running true. Short walk from lobby to pro-shop. First few days didn't seem to matter if you had a tee-time, the pro-shop was accepting money from everbody and sending them down to the starter to get sorted out. This was a mess and caused some long rounds. After a few days they started asking to confirm your tee-time before sending you out.

One of the evening maids seemed to be running a little scam. She would hover near the washrooms by the bar in the lobby. All of the stalls in the womens washroom were out of toilet paper. Rather than replenishing them she would wait for a woman to call out in distress so she could come to the rescue and hopefully receive a reward.

Overall I think the food quality on average has diminished from our last visit in 2008. The service is generally very good but there are a couple of bad apples with attitudes that can have a negative impact on your experience. If you are a golfer this is still an excellent option due to it's golf inclusion and proximity to the course. If you are not a golfer, do some research, you may find a better option.

12  Thank chipin