We stayed at this resort with my wife and brother-in-law (and his wife) in early December 2012.
We were very impressed with the Cuban entry experience at Varadero airport compared to our last 2 trips to Cuba at Santa Clara and Holguin after which we swore we'd never return to Cuba. The bus trip to hotel was reasonably short with several other hotel stops along the way. Check-in at the hotel was almost instantaneous.
Our room was on the "cheap" side of the hotel, not facing the pool/sea but overlooked the golf course which was very pretty. Food was good and of course plentiful. No-one seemed to get sick.
Golf is free at the course which surrounds the hotel but mandatory cart rental I think of $60. Not sure the exact price as I didn't golf.
The only negative thing was that the largest pool (there are 4) was closed for painting and repair so the swim-up bar was not open. We spent most of the time on the beach which had lots and lots of trees or palapas for those of us that prefer shade. Good food and drinks by the beach so we didn't miss the pool bar toooooo much.
We took a day excursion into Havana, which was the main reason I wanted to stay at Varedero, and we loved it. It's a really neat place to wander through. I would like to go back some time and stay very close to Havana rather than ~2 hours away
The hotel next door was another Melia - the Melia Varedero and it was almost nicer that the one we were at except the beach is not so good and there were lots of kids. Ours is an adults only, which we prefer.
All in all, we were very happy with the holiday. We have stayed several times at Melias and prefer Melia's and Riu's to the Barcelo's, Sol's and others. True the hotel is a little old but it is well cared for and kept quite clean. Staff are all very friendly especially Raol the bartender at the pool bar (not swim-up bar)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meliá Las Américas is the premier Golf Resort in Cuba and it is also the only one with direct access to The Varadero Golf Club. Located on The Varadero Peninsula, a tropical paradise jutting into the clear waters of the Caribbean on Cuba’s northern coats. Poised between the beach and championship golf course, the 5-star hotel is an upscale all inclusive adults only (over 18 years). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelsClick so you can book your Melia Las Americas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Las Americas Hotel Varadero
- Melia Hotel Varadero
- Melia Hotel Las Americas
- Melia Las Americas Varadero