“Another visit to MLA.”

Ranked #5 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
Brampton, Ontario
“Another visit to MLA.”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just back once again from another trip to MLA. I have frequented this hotel many many times over the past few years. The biggest reasons are the golf course, bit like an old fashioned Florida parks course but still lots of fun. Secondly, the staff at the hotel, they are a great bunch of people, they are always delighted to see us, as we are them.
However I should point out that there are still some negatives. The hotel itself is getting a little worn looking, not really their fault as the money is not forthcoming from the Cuban tourist industry, [only so much to go around] The non smoking issue is a major problem, no more smoking in the bars and restaurant's, it was just a delight to sit at one of the bars with a nice glass of rum and a cigar, after all this is Cuba we are talking about, now all and sundry are forced out to the balcony in front of the main lobby, when the hotel is fairly busy, good luck finding a table never mind a chair. After talking to several tour operator rep's they tell me this is not the case in most of the hotels.
Moving on, Whom ever made the decission to close the Italian restaurant at lunch time was absolutely wrong, this used to be one of the delights of the place.
I am just about finished, one more pet peeve. A year or so ago they decided that the main lobby bar would no longer be a twenty four hour bar, at just after midnight now, you are banished to the other bar, which is dark and dingy. It is just not the same, and from what I can see, people just do not want to spend time there, if you order a snack you cannot see what you are eating and for the most part it is cold.
Now that that is now off my chest, I can say I shall be back.

Room Tip: Do you have some spare coat hangers [dry cleaner type] take them especially if you are traveling as...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrbolikz
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Hello

Nice to hear you always chose our hotel for your golf vacation

Regarding the non smoking issue, we really sorry that this could be a major problem for you, most our clients( non smokers) appreciate the free smoke enviroment .Thanks for taking the time to bring to our attention your comment about the italian restaurant and the Lobby Bar time table.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Melia Las Americas in the future when we will do our utmost to ensure that you have a very enjoyable stay.

Varadero, Cuba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,039)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Montreal
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and i really came here on a golf and relax trip. The golf course has a nice design but the greens needed work. The relax part was excellent as there were no kids this is a 18 ++ resort. The food at this resort was EXCELLENT!! yes i said it. no matter where you ate, you ate very well. If you are looking for a night club type of life well this resort is not for you as they do not have a night club. Lots of people told me that this was a 50 year old plus type of resort and they pretty much on the money. But like i said i came here to play golf and relax and it was great. Thanks to all the staff who were very helpful no matter what, and animation staff were a pleasure.

p.s. i will be going back!

Room Tip: take any room above the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tony P
Hello

Nice to hear you had a nice golf vacation in our hotel

I know that at the golf course they are doing their best to put their greens in good shape, i hope this could happen soon

Looking forward to have you here again

Regards

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was our second trip to the same resort. We went there in November of 2011, and again in September 2012. Hotel, beach, golf, everything was fine...but group of old men (70+) with very young cuban girls (barely 18) was hard+ to look at...
I am not sure why do they need this for?
Otherwise. lovely resort, just those ugly arrangements (made by old Italian-torontoian population) made everyone sick

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank tanja t
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at the resort in mid October. I went alone for a short 3 day trip to get away from work. The entertainment staff was awesome, especially Havier and Dan. I did make a lot of friends from Europe.

The only disappointing thing was a lack of single people. Most of the resort was full of couples.

There were a few 20-35 year olds in the resort and we did end up having a good time.

The beach was clean and the water was warm for Canadian lake standards. The buffet was good for cuban standards. I did not try the restaurants since I was traveling alone.

Overall, this is a great place for couples or those who want to play golf. For the below 35s who want to party, I would recommend other places since they will be more fun.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Toronto-guy80
Hello,

Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed our hotel, the beach and the entertainment provided by Javier and Dan.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Toronto
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My BFF and I travelled to Melia Las Americas November 1st to 5th for a girls weekend without our husbands! I am a frequent traveller to the Caribbean (12 trips and counting) so I think I have a good frame of mind going in to these places.

Check in:

Check in was a breeze, we were the only people dropped off at our resort! This hotel was about 45 minutes to the airport, and our MC for the ride spoke the entire way so the ride went by very quickly! We found our room very easily, room 3305 in the main building and were very pleased when we arrived to our room.

Room:

Our room was large, with two twin beds pushed together and a sitting area. The washroom was also very large; however, the shower is very narrow. The rooms were cleaned every day, and our cleaning lady was extremely friendly! I forget her name, but it was something close to Odalys. We checked in at night so we had no idea what we were looking at when we checked in to our room, all we knew was that we were directly above the lobby entrance. However, what a surprise we had at sunrise the next morning, we overlooked the most gorgeous golf course, and there is an ocean on that side too, not the one we swam in, but it was absolutely stunning. One of the best views I have had at a resort!

Buffet:

The buffet was a decent size and had a relatively good selection of food. For Cuba, I found that the food was pretty good, it didn’t compare to what I had in Mexico in the summer, but I found something to eat every day and never had an upset stomach once (and I have a very sensitive stomach!) Our favourite servers were Juan Carlos and Marlon at breakfast and lunch, they were both so cute! I am taking Spanish lessons at home and Juan Carlos was so sweet and patient with me while only talking to me in Spanish, and helping me to understand words when I got confused. Marlon was a bit quieter but always so sweet, especially on our last night at the dinner buffet. Thank you Juan Carlos and Marlon, if it weren’t for you, I think my view of this resort would be much different :)

A la cartes:

Tapanyaki – we went to this our second night and were quite disappointed. I don’t eat fish or seafood and they don’t actually take your order, you can’t actually pick what you want to eat, so it seemed like such a big deal that I didn’t want any seafood or fish. I wasn’t the only one. I also couldn’t eat any of the starters (soup or sushi) as they were fish, at least at other resorts I have been to they have had a vegetarian option! The service was prompt and the chef friendly so that was a plus.

Italian – We went to the Italian our third night and were again disappointed, I had cannelloni which was good, however, it only came with two pieces, so my friend had to share her pizza with me as I was still hungry. The service wasn’t good here either, it seemed extremely understaffed and it took far too long to get drinks.

International- This was by far the best a la carte, we both enjoyed our meals immensely. I had the pear pork slices and mashed potatoes and my friend had the chicken, the presentation was amazing, we felt like we were at an upscale restaurant in the city! The service was also amazing, unfortunately I forget the servers name.

Beach:
What can I say… it’s Varadero… the beaches are absolutely gorgeous! The snorkeling sucks, but that was to be expected, it’s a soft sandy bottom and the water clear and turquoise. I have been to several other countries (both sides of Mexico, MB in Jamaica, other side of Cuba, all sides of DR) and this is by far the nicest beach I have ever seen. I believe the gentleman's name was Ramon, a small older fellow who brought us beach chairs. He is one of the hardest working people I saw at the resort, the poor guy would have to drag chairs from one end of the beach to the other for guests. He was also super nice to us. We also met Ricardo who was one of the grounds keepers, he brought my friend and I a cocunut one day, and when I spoke Spanish to him he really enjoyed that and kept coming back to talk to us. Our experiences with staff on the beach, top notch!

Upper Pool:

This pool was freezing and nobody ever hung out at it. The atmosphere is beautiful and the pool is lovely, but it was just too cold to swim in (it’s their winter right now so it’s a bit colder, that was to be expected especially with the bad weather Sandy brought the week before).

Lower Pool:

Not deep at all, but pretty, especially when viewed from the bridge above and you can see the palm tree shadows on the pool (see attached picture). The tile on the wall down by that pool is also neat, it’s a huge mural of mosaic tile, really well done, right by the huge chess set.

Lobby Bar:

We were VERY disappointed with the lobby bar. The servers were always cold and not friendly at all. Our first night really put a negative spin on it for us though, my friend is 5 months pregnant and when we asked for two daiquiri’s, one no rum, they said no. I thought they were joking, but they really wouldn’t make her one. She is pregnant; she can’t have alcohol, so they made her have something else! Unbelievable, I saw them pour the rum in the mixer so it’s not like it was premade. It seemed that every server we had there was less than friendly, so after a few times going to that bar we avoided at all costs. The service was well below expectations. I truly do try my best to speak Spanish to the staff, with the 15 verbs I know! usually the staff are impressed and try to work with me, these staff, just looked at me and spoke back in English. Very disappointed with that, I am taking Spanish because I want to learn and I usually have the staff help me to improve and teach me knew words. They didn't seem to have the time of day for me.

Beach Bar:

The bar by the beach was hit or miss with pleasant servers, the females we had seemed far more friendly than the males. I have been to so many resorts and it’s usually the friendly staff that make the trips so great, but that just wasn’t the case at this resort. It also wasn’t because we weren’t tipping, we tipped regularly. I also brought goody bags of candies to give to the staff and I had trouble deciding who I wanted to give them to.

Nightly Shows:

The night we arrived they had a beach party which was nice. The ‘show’ wasn’t all that spectacular, but being able to sit on the beach and have a few drinks was nice. We were disappointed, the ladies with the nicest costumes just stood on the sidelines and weren’t really part of the show. After the show they had a dance party on the beach which was really fun, but unfortunately a lot of people didn’t stay for it.

On our third night we went to the variety show, the dancers aren’t the most formally trained but they put on a decent show. The ballerina bride was by far the most skilled dancer and I found myself watching her most of the show. After the show the party continued at the pool party which was fun, all the staff seemed to let loose and have some fun too. Castro the bar tender at the shows was really pleasant and Miguel from the show was helpful too, I wanted to know the name of a song they played and he was nice enough to write it down for me and then sold me a CD that the resort sells for only 10 bucks with all the resort songs on it.

The show on our last night I assume was a travelling production (fusion). The show was nice, it had a nice mix of songs, Celtic, 60’s rock, Russian, it was a pleasant to show to watch, but when the show was done we were hoping for another pool party since it was our last night but that didn’t happen. Since we didn’t like the main bar we went to the jazz bar, but it was always so cold from the ac that we couldn’t stand to hang out in there :(

All in all, this resort was nice, the beach is amazing and the food was more than decent. Unfortunately, the staff didn’t wow me on this trip, which I am quite disappointed about. I have also stayed at the Melia Las Dunas in Cuba and found the staff and resort much better than this one. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me daniellelandry12@gmail.com

Danielle’s Resort Ratings (to help put it in perspective where I have been and what I am comparing this to):

1) Majestic Colonial, Punta Cana, DR (2008)
2) Excellence Punta Cana, Punta Cana, DR (2008)
3) Grand Sirenis, Riviera Maya, MX (2012)
4) Royal Decameron, Montego Bay, Jamaica (2010)
5) Be Live Ambar, Puerto Plata, DR (2011)
6) Melia Las Dunas, Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba (2008)
7) Melia Las Americas, Varadero, Cuba (2012)
8) Iberostar Tainos, Varadero, Cuba (2011)
9) Presidente Intercontinental, Los Cabos, Mexico (2009)
10) Sirenis Cocotal, Punta Cana, DR (2006)
11) Coral Costa Caribe, La Romana, DR (2005)
12) Jack Tar, Puerto Plata, DR (2003)

Room Tip: Our room was directly on top of the lobby entrance, facing the entrance side, not the resort side, b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank dani12Toronto
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to bring to our attention the problems you experienced and the deficiencies in the quality of our services. In our regular Quality and Guest Service Meetings we analyze carefully all remarks received from the guest questionnaires, emails and the TripAdvisor.com website.

Regarding your comments about our personnel, we analysed it with their Heads of Department and corrective actions have been taken to guarantee that the quality of their service excels the first-rated one provided by our Hotel chain, also, training programs have been created to develop better communication skills and service attitude.

In contrast we are very happy that you enjoyed our beach, the room and the service provided by Odalys, Juan Carlos, Marlon, Castro and Miguel.

Varadero, Cuba
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Our trip to Melia las Americas in March 2012 was simply fantastic and greatly exceeded our expectations. We had been to Varadero before and had a somewhat mixed experience (that resort was just okay but the food was as bad as many reported) But Melia was just wonderful in every way and quickly became our favourite all inclusive destination. Our room was overlooking the golf course and ocean - which was lovely and always very clean - our maid (Julia) was great. We loved having bottled water, beer and soft drinks left in our fridge each day.

Food was wonderful! Main buffet had a lot of variety - lots of great salads, veggies, meats, cheeses. Bread was terrific. Service was very friendly and very competent. A la carte restaurants were all very nice and you could see that the staff tried to make it a special occasion. Evening lounge entertainment was very good.

Beach was glorious; great sand, hardly crowded, great waves. The selection of places to lay and sun yourself was one of the best we have been at in our travels. Lots of floatation mats, bar service and clean water.... lots of shade for those who want to get out of the sun as well.

Ana Rosa (guest services/concierge) was simply out of this world - she gave us many special tips and was always a very friendly face there to help in any way. She is a fantastic ambassador for the resort!

I played golf twice at the golf club next door which is the only 18 hole course in Cuba. A beautiful scenic course with lush vegetation. Fairly well maintained and some very interesting hole layouts. I had a great time and is a must play for golfers.

Needless to say - we can't wait to go back and have started planning our next trip to MLA!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Michelle N
Hello:

Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed our Hotel, the Golf Course, the Beach and the Service provided by our Staff, specially from Ana Rosa at Customer Service and from Julia, your maid.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is an all-in golf resort that has it all!!! , comfort, day and night entertainment!!! .Very good service with a wide variety of restaurants and bars, besides they include the room service. Professional performing singers at night and beach activities to do (loved the beach parties), I highly recommend Melia Las Americas because it has it all!!!

Room Tip: renovated bungalow and superior ocean view rooms are perfect for a couple.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed our Hotel, the Golf Course, the Beach and the Service provided by our Staff.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Melia Las Americas in the future when we will do our utmost to ensure that you have another enjoyable stay.