Just back once again from another trip to MLA. I have frequented this hotel many many times over the past few years. The biggest reasons are the golf course, bit like an old fashioned Florida parks course but still lots of fun. Secondly, the staff at the hotel, they are a great bunch of people, they are always delighted to see us, as we are them.
However I should point out that there are still some negatives. The hotel itself is getting a little worn looking, not really their fault as the money is not forthcoming from the Cuban tourist industry, [only so much to go around] The non smoking issue is a major problem, no more smoking in the bars and restaurant's, it was just a delight to sit at one of the bars with a nice glass of rum and a cigar, after all this is Cuba we are talking about, now all and sundry are forced out to the balcony in front of the main lobby, when the hotel is fairly busy, good luck finding a table never mind a chair. After talking to several tour operator rep's they tell me this is not the case in most of the hotels.
Moving on, Whom ever made the decission to close the Italian restaurant at lunch time was absolutely wrong, this used to be one of the delights of the place.
I am just about finished, one more pet peeve. A year or so ago they decided that the main lobby bar would no longer be a twenty four hour bar, at just after midnight now, you are banished to the other bar, which is dark and dingy. It is just not the same, and from what I can see, people just do not want to spend time there, if you order a snack you cannot see what you are eating and for the most part it is cold.
Now that that is now off my chest, I can say I shall be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meliá Las Américas is the premier Golf Resort in Cuba and it is also the only one with direct access to The Varadero Golf Club. Located on The Varadero Peninsula, a tropical paradise jutting into the clear waters of the Caribbean on Cuba’s northern coats. Poised between the beach and championship golf course, the 5-star hotel is an upscale all inclusive adults only (over 18 years). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Prodigios Interactivos SA, Booking.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelsClick so you can book your Melia Las Americas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Las Americas Hotel Varadero
- Melia Hotel Varadero
- Melia Hotel Las Americas
- Melia Las Americas Varadero