Brisas del Caribe Hotel
$188
$174
HotelsClick
4,186 results
All reviewsnorth sectioncoffee barchickenseafoodgo with an open mindpiano barbeach grillbeautiful beachpicky eateranimation teampublic relationsomelettenightly entertainmentbeach chairskeep in mindpasta bara great vacation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 30, 2014

When we arrived at the resort,I asked for a room close to the lobby because I had a sore leg.We were given the last room on the first floor.It smelled like mold and the first floor is like being in a basement.I asked the receptionist if we can have anything else and she was rude and just told us to come back the next morning to see if they have a room on a higher floor.
Next day we had a nice receptionist who gave us a room on the third floor since they didn't have anything on the second floor.The room was much nicer and the maid service was great.We had a fairly good time and took the bus to Varadero a few times.The piano bar was nice and the buffet had enough variety for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Gisell A, Public Relations Manager at Brisas del Caribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear Sally155017:

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about our Brisas on tripadvisor.com.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your holidays and that you recommend our hotel to other travelers.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 29, 2014

This is an older hotel with some maintenance issues. review some of the other posts and you will see what i mean.

this was my 2nd trip to cuba, my first to a resort in varadero. in 2007 i spent 3 weeks in havana, trinidad de cuba, and vinales. i stayed in casa particulars, cubas version of bed and breakfasts.

the beach is nice and so are the two tennis courts. if you are headed here ask for miachel, he is a porter that also loves to play tennis. and if you could leave him a racket he would greatly appreciate the gesture. he plays with a racket from the 60s and is unable to update his gear. the resort is supposed to have some gear available, but i never found it.

we played tennis for an hour in the morning, went shopping in varadero or took a siesta for the afternoon, hit the beach about 4 pm. the late afternoon sun is easier on the skin. supper at 7, drinks on the terrace and then bed. doing nothing takes alot of energy!

in travelling to cuba you have to understand that the resort employees see you as basking in the lap of luxury. just travel through cardenas or matazans to see the real cuba where most of the employees live. these areas are rundown and poor. in the cuban's eyes, old is the norm. so sometimes your complaints fall on deaf ears. that said, you will not find more gracious people on the planet.

if your room is not adequate you have to complain. it is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. see the hotel information person and your airline representative for any issues. don't sweat the small stuff, be patient.

a tip of one convertible peso or one american dollar is always greatly appreciated. these people are working for a dollar a day. if you have the room in your luggage, then toothbrushes, toothpaste, pens, paper etc all are great for tips and bartering.

many of the merchants in town will deal in american or canadian dollars. insist on one for one. the resort will only give you .82 on the canadian dollar, and the bank will give .87. But, on the street your money is good. small denominations are handy as change is hard to come by. cubans live by barter and cash. they respect good negotiators.

families with small kids need to know that life guards are only present on a sporadic basis. this applies to the pools and the beach. bring your own beach towels and lotion, the stuff at the resort is expensive. bring some mosquito pesticide, there are no screens in the windows. this is typical for cuba.

get off the resort at least once. i would recommend renting a scooter for a day and the organized Caribbean tour. i saw one very nice restaurant in cardenas on the main drag, this is only 20 km from varadero.

the food at the resort was good, but lacking spice. they do have hot sauces that you can add to your meal. the a la carte restaurants are good, particularly the cuban grill. the chef, freddy, knows his stuff.

have fun.

Room Tip: we stayed in 306. a bit noisy, there was a hum outside because of an electrical panel. on a real hot night the air conditioner could not keep up. but the room and bed were clean.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pkeleher

Dear pkeleher:

On a behalf of the staff at Brisas we would like to thank you for your review. Priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction. We have taken all your comments and suggestion into consideration and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned points, specially the food. However, if you decide, to visit us again in the near future, please do note hesitate to contact us.

Giselle.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I have been on many resorts and this one had to be one of the worst ... The restrooms were not well taken care of and the staff were not to helpful. Lots of bugs and walls were falling apart. I would suggest the Iberostar Varadero

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Dominic C:

Thank you for taking the time to write your experience at the Brisas del caribe

We apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay.
We would like to inform you that every concern presented by our guests are very important to us and we regret the incidents that you are mentioning in your room. We are already working to prevent the problems for future clients.

We hope you change your mind and give us another chance to change the negative impression you took with you after your stay.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Where do I begin.. April 12-19

Before we left I corresponded with my imaginery friend Giselle via email and she was very quick to reply to requests and assured me that we would be given our rooms in the North Building ( 8 rooms in total). My first impression before arrival was what great customer service! When we arrived 4 of our rooms were in the North and 4 in the South. Not a really big deal as some of our group were able to move the next day, and some forced to within the week. Upon check in I was told we were upgraded to VIP and given silver wrist bands. When I asked what that meant I was told that our package included stocked bar fridge daily, a bottle of rum, beach towels, extra a la cartes, free late check out, some of our rooms got rum, we didn't get beach towels, some got beer and pop, some got pop, some got none, no extra a la cartes because they couldn't fit 16 at one seating except for the Italian, but we did get 5 of our eight rooms free late check out but I really can't complain because we didn't pay extra for VIP and I am sure glad we didn't. I am not a fussy person and neither are the rest of my family but the issues at this resort were far too many to overlook, with safety of my family and other guests being the biggest.

Safety - On April 15 there was a thunderstorm and 2 of our rooms 345 in the North and 613 in the South had major water issues, the ceilings where collapsing and water was pouring in, luggage and beds totally soaked, the floor in 345 was soft and moved and cracked when you walked on it, when asked to move both rooms, my son and his buddy were put in a room on the first floor with no amenities whatsoever, bad smelling and very dirty, we had them moved to the 3rd floor the next day and honestly it wasn't much better. Throughout the resort there were broken tiles everywhere, uneven broken steps, more burned out lights then what worked. Water leaked from the hallway ceiling in the North building out of light fixtures, last I checked water and electricity don't mix. My mother (66yrs old) almost slipped in puddles daily.

Rooms - The rooms in the North building are very musty even on the 3rd floor. In room 320 there were maggoty looking worms in the curtains. Bed sheets and spreads are stained and beds are very old with springs coming up through them, moldy and just plain dirty. In the North building the water went off three times that I know of, completely off. A couple of our rooms the air conditioning didn't work for the last 3 days there. Were told it would be fixed, it never was. We kept one room in the south building and the only issue we had with this room was there was absolutely no hot water for 3 days, reported it and it too was being fixed and never was.

Food - Like the review prior stated, it was awful! I ate in the buffet twice and it was very dark, hot and smelled bad. I also ate at the beach grill once and also not very good I preferred the French fries at the 24 hour (not 24 hours in a row) bar the pizza was ok too, but the burgers were very inconsistent. The hydro went out twice in that bar, they didn't serve food or drinks, although the staff were eating and drinking with lights on hmmm. On other occasions they would either be out of food, or out of alcohol. The main bar in the lobby closed early on a night or two because they too ran out of alcohol. How does this happen at an all inclusive that isn't at capacity? We only went to one al a carte the Italian and it was better then the buffet. We went off resort to the Barracuda restaurant and it was AMAZING!! I can't comment on breakfast because I couldn't stand the heat or smell in the buffet. The coffee bar in the lobby makes a killer cappuccino and the servers Lazaris and Hanois are very nice. If you plan on going to this resort take napkins, when we asked for some the server took a roll of toilet paper out of her apron and gave us a couple squares, seriously! I will add that 3 of our group got very very ill, I can't say what from, but it was not pleasant. Symptoms similar to norovirus, major stomach cramps with severe vomiting.

Pools - When we arrived the pools looked beautiful, but quickly turned a beautiful shade of dark green. Midweek the quiet pool was drained and on our last day (supposedly the hottest day in Varadero this year) they drained the main pool as it was total algae, I slipped and fell on the ladder going in because it was algae covered 2 days prior to them draining it. I never once saw anyone clean these pools and I am a pool owner and know that even just a family pool needs maintenance daily. My cousin asked what a freshwater pool was and I think that this was just that, no chemicals at all. My son and nephew both have severe ear infections and their doctors say its from the bacteria in the pool water.

The Ocean - was beautiful, the only good thing about the resort (besides the coffee and French fries)! Always lots of chairs and nice and clean.

Grounds - Could be awesome. There is a waterfall pond thing between the North and South building, that doesn't work. It is standing green swampy water and a major breeding ground for mosquitos, which this resort doesn't spray for. The amount of bites we got is unbelievable. I saw other guests complaining at guest services for this too.

The shows - Only went to 2 and they were typical not bad resort entertainment, the theatre was quite a walk from the main building and there was absolutely no lighting, and the mosquitos were terrible, we sprayed ourselves with OFF and it didn't help. Our bug spray won't work against the ferocious Cuban mosquitos. This was the first resort I have ever needed bug spray at.

Customer relations and excursions - The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Not once could we get an answer to a single question regarding excursions, therefore we were unable to go on any. When I asked about coffee makers in the room (the resort is marketed with them) the girl I asked responded with "I don't know" how can your work at a resort and not know if the rooms have coffee makers. I bet 5 pesos would have gotten an answer. I asked about late checkout on the night before we left as our bus didn't come until 6:30pm on Saturday and was told that we would be able to keep our rooms until departure as the hotel had availability and to go to customer relations in the morning. Well, it was a different story when I went, all of the sudden the hotel is full I told them that Zulema told me that it wasn't and poof I got my room. By the way I think Giselle is imaginary, every time I asked if she was in, they would tell me a time, and not once did I find her.

This resort is old, rundown, very dirty and extremely unsafe! I truly believe the staff do the best with what they are given, its just not enough. I have emailed my travel agent and tour operator to voice my concerns, I would hate to see someone get seriously injured by falling ceilings, collapsing floors, or uneven broken tiles or stairs. I have stayed in another Brisas and when comparing the 2 with equal star ratings, this resort gets one or the one in Holguin gets 10. I can't figure out how they can be owned by the same company Cubanacan.

Next time (if I return to Cuba) I willrequest a resort that isn't owned by Cuba as these resorts are very run down and Cuba doesn't put the money into them, and that was very apparent.

I have only ever written good reviews for any resort I have stayed at even when they had issues (very minor), but none have ever been this disappointing. I couldn't find it in my heart to refer anyone to this hotel. I hope one day this resort undergoes some major changes that will enable it to live up to the Brisas reputation.

If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2,185 people have reviewed this hotel
Sent from my iPad

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Luvthesun08
Gisell A, General Manager at Brisas del Caribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear Luvthesun08 :
First of all we want to thank you for the time you spent to write this review , and we also want to inform you feel that you and your family have not been happy with our service .
I also wish to inform you that you received a VIP service thanks to our PR department, Giselle organized your rooms but unfortunately during this period were full. Our public relations bureau is not the responsible for reporting and managing your excursions at a time can provide occasional reports about Cuba, Varadero or another place but who plays the lead role is your travel agent in this case TMR.
I also wish to thank you for telling us about our problems, but what we really feel is that you have had that opinion about our facilities and our management, when it was our management who handled and managed the problems that caused you boys who broke a TV in our hotel and try to steal another TV in a room, to replace the one that had broken. This situation triggered a police case against your boy, which was not transcended thank you to our staff.
Thank you, thank you very much for your time.
Regards Carlos Chávez.

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and here is mine of this fabulous resort!!!!!!!!!!

This is just a general review it's not in response to any specific review just from what I've been reading. Maybe someone will find this helpful I don't know.

We stayed at this resort from April 20-27 , my dad and I. I'm a 23 year old college student my dad 57.I've been to Cuba 7 times before and I know what to expect every time I go but seriously....People need to stop complaining. We are so fortunate in Canada that we have become spoiled. We have an abundance of everything and we forget that people around the world have to make due with very little and survive.

Don't expect the star rating to be the same as Canada, the states, Mexico or the Dominican. Sure the resort is a little old 18 years or so and need some TLC, sometimes things are not in good working order but they are working hard to fix and upgrade. I've seen it happening all week.

FOOD:

The food is different than what we are used to but bottom line you won't starve. The buffet had staple items that I are everyday like eggs/omelettes and croissants and deli meats for breakfast. Pasta and burgers for lunch. And supper always had something yummy. One night we had turkey and steak! There is plenty of fresh veggies and a fresh salad stations. Breads-delicious and home made. I've cream to die for!!!!!!

ROOM:

You have a bed to sleep it maybe not the most comfortable but still you don't go to Cuba to stay in your room right?The phone doesn't work? Who cares who are you gonna call anyways? Walk to whomever you need to contact. Exercise is good. No hot water? Be thankful you have water at all.

We stayed in room 215 on the main floor (lobby) in the main north building and everything was in working order, phone, flat screen tv, stereo system with plug ins for your music, hot water and good pressure the whole time!

Heard from others that the south side needs some TLC but people still enjoyed their stay.

I always pick Cuba over every where else for 2 major reasons. 1) I feel super safe. I don't not feel like I have to look over my shoulder every second and 2) the people. Cubans are so nice. Always smiling and saying hi the hospitality alone makes me want to come back each time. Douglas the bell boy is the best! And Heidi in the buffet who works the supper shift is so sweet she went out of her way all the time to make our meals special. Many other wonderful staff that I didn't manage to get names of.

BEACH:

The beach is gorgeous. Just breath taking. Always found enough lounge chairs at the beach and pool at every time of day.

The snack bar is open 24 hours and the food is actually pretty good. Hamburgers, sandwiches, pizza and fries.

Coffee in Cuba is superb!!!!! A must early in the morning. Ice coffee was fabulous, couldn't get enough.

The staff from maids to bartenders to the front desk are awesome. People complain that they are rude, if someone was rude to me I'd be rude back too. So just be nice and somehow you'll get to understanding each other :)

I tipped all the time but from experience I know something's are harder for them to get so I always pack a spare suitcase full of things they could use. They are so appreciative of even the simplest of things like toiletries, something we have an abundance of here.

Overall I love this resort, the people and Cuba. It's my home away from home and can't wait to come back :) love the Brisas!!

Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Caroline K

Dear Caroline K:

Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay at Brisas. It was our pleasure to learn that you had an enjoyable vacation.

We trust that as you reminisce on your visit you will remember us fondly as being your Cuban family and not hesitate to make plans to visit with us again. It would be our pleasure to serve you again.