“your experience will vary. rooms are not standard”

Brisas del Caribe Hotel
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Canada
“your experience will vary. rooms are not standard”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

i just returned after a 7 day vacation. i stayed at the `southern rooms`. these are a bit further away from the ocean but what a difference. they are new, clean, and if you can find one that overlooks the pool, amazing.

other rooms in the main building are quite dated. the smell of mould is annoying in these rooms and you'll see a lot of bugs. our friends stayed there and the difference was amazing. we originally booked an ocean view room then changed our minds. ocean view is not worth it. good rooms are..

the beach is amazing. the staff does not expect tips but appreciate the tips a lot. some of the staff was just there to work. and some were very pleasant. especially the ladies at the bar in the lobby. they make the best drinks. they were all very helpful.

beer is always cold and delicious. canadians and american with 3litre jugs get annoying but oh well. pina coladas are usually good or excellent depending on who makes them. you ll figure out in the first 2 days and stick to the same bartender :)) mojitos were not good as they sometimes use some kind of fake juice for them

food was very bad. you'll live if you like cheese, tomatos, cucumbers, rice, and croissants. just dont expect anything special. they made chicken breast once and that was good too, im guessing it was organic. either way, if you dont expect steaks and burgers and other warm, delicious food, you'll live and enjoy the experience. even pasta wasnt that good.

shows at night were entertaining but not really `cuban`. typical resort contests.
they had very good music for lunch and dinner but the band usually plays a few songs then goes near the tables to take requests and expect tips. that wasnt fun. would have been better if they kept on playing, on the stage.

overall, keeping in mind the cuban standards, i think this hotel was good.

***find a deal, and get one of the newer rooms.
**most of the receptionists are aware of the non standard rooms and will let you change rooms if you are not happy with yours.
***very important: food was not good, but it's only a matter of selection and taste. noone got sick.

Room Tip: avoid the rooms in the main building.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 358

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My friend and I booked Brisas for April 22nd to 29th, before booking we were debating another resort in Varadero, a 5 star. In the end Brisas won as it was about 300 dollars less, after spending a week at Brisas I wish i would have paid that extra 300 dollars. The food here is not edible for the most part and borderline unsanitary most of the time. The both of us are not picky eaters and we really did not think it would be this bad. We lived off of fresh bread ( which was the only good thing in the buffet), french fries and cookies from the store. We were 2 very hungry and grumpy young ladies!

The hotel itself is quite dated and not overly clean. Our room wasnt bad and we had a great Maid named Melba, her and the pringles in the store were probably the best part of this resort. Our room was on the third floor in the main building, it wasnt luxerious but it was clean and thats all that mattered.

The beach is out of this world amazing, when people say you dont go to cuba for the food you go for the beaches...boy is that the truth!

Nightlife is Varadero was great, I would reccomend hitting up the Cave Monday night. Its open until 5 am and it was a great time!

All in all it was a really good vacation because we made the best of it, would I go back to Brisas? Nope definitely not but I would go back to Varadero and stay in a 5 star resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Crystal Beach, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I got this trip as a honey moon gift from my father in law, witch was a wonderful gift, but the trip was over all awful, we got to the hotel and right away the front desk ladies were sooo rude right off the bat, we exchanged our money, and for 350$ all we got in exchange was about 200 convertible pesos, witch was a huge rip off, and its not like you can fight it because there is receipt or computer or anything that tells you what the right exchange rate it, so we decided to just make the best if it, we finally got into our room and we were put in a room with 2 beds when it was our honey moon and they said as long as we brought our marriage certificate that we would get a king size bed but we didn't, so we just dealt with it and pushed the beds together. The food was absolutely horrible and when you ask them if they have anything like, limes,ketchup,salut,pepper,ice,juice or pretty much anything. There first response is a no right away, there all really rude and just make you feel like you've done something wrong or like your bothering them. We were only there for 5 days and we couldn't get a towel for the first 3 days bc they said they didn't have any, and when my husband went to return our towels the lady demanded him for a tip, witch is ridiculous for the poor service, not to mention everything in the gift shop is over priced, my husband got heat stroke so we had to pay 16$ for a little bottle of aloe Vera. So now comes the worst part, my husband and I booked the catamaran the most expensive one, the one that includes swimming with the dolphins, but because my husband got heat stroke we unfortunately had to cancel it and get a refund so our sun wing rep gave us a refund and our receipts. Than we got home and we didn't get billed or refunded from the company so we assumed we were ok, almost a month later I threw out the receipt and 3 days later we get charged for the catamaran that we never ended up going on!! SHE NEVER REFUNDED US FOR OVER 200$!! We got ripped off and now that I'm trying to call and get my refund back no one will help me, they just keep sending me to voice mail. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO SUCH A HORRIBLE PLACE!!

Room Tip: Don't go here they will find any way to rip you off, people use the excuse " it's Cuba...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tanya P
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have to say, I was afraid after reading the reviews on here. We travelled over Easter weekend.
This resort was fine!! There were 4 families in our group with children ages 5-13. Because I have one very fussy eater, we did take a jar of peanut butter, but even he found things to eat at the buffets.
I have read alot of negative reviews regarding the front desk staff and I find it hard to believe. We arrived very late at night and were treated like gold the entire week. Two of us had a couple of issues with the first rooms but were moved upon request without issue.
Cleanliness, come on people, you are not paying to stay at the Hilton!! It was fine. Yes, they did run out of ice a couple of times, so what?!?
The beach was amazing...if you go, be sure to get the massage on the beach, it was fabulous! Also be sure to do the snorkeling, even my 5 yr old was able to do it and they loved every minute...
Everyone in our group has been to Cuba before at various resorts and none had any complaints.
Understand this is just my opinion of this resort. My purpose going here was for sun, sand and relaxation....the price was right.
Every resort I've gone to where the buffet is open air, there are birds! There would be here in Canada too. Did the bathroom run out of toilet paper? Yes, but as soon as you told someone, it was replenished...That happens here too!
I suggest that if you are looking for an economical family vacation, this place is great, don't go expecting the Ritz!
Spend some time at the pool in the south section and have a ham and pineapple pizza for me!!

Room Tip: Request pool view if in the south section
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 8sunlover8
Cape Breton
Reviewed May 4, 2013

If you are accustomed to staying in a 4 or better star in other countries you will be underwhelmed, to say the least.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not a person to seek out negatives and complain on trip advisor about them - which I am not going to do now - I will just simply state our observations. Although, we were disappointed with the resort we certainly made the best of it!

We bought our trip very last minite (Booked on Sunday - left on Wednesday, Apr 24) so we knew we were taking a chance and were basically booking this vacation for the sun and heat. The weather was amazing, by the way!

The building was older and not overly well kept - broken tiles that was that way for likely years, etc. Our room wasn't the cleanest and the best maintained. It was very dated. They gave us our room and we were escorted there to find the housekeeper in a scramble saying the room wasn't ready - there was a repair man already in there.

So after the initital shock of what we were about to spend the next 7 days in, we've decided to get ready and head to the beach and fill up our cups!

The beach is quite beautiful, there are no complaints.

The food was ok. I am not a picky eater and I like seafood so I could usually find something I would like. My fiance on the other hand, not so fortunate. We enjoyed the ham and cheese pizza at the snack bar for most lunches to avoid the buffet. It wasn't bad. We even had pig that was roasted on a spit one day at the outdoor grill - delish. If you check the grills at the buffet, you may luck out. We found chicken and peppers being freshly grilled to order which turned out to be very tasty. Those were the highlights of the food experience. There was always fresh exotic fruit available in the buffet as well but I have to say I was surprised at the lack of fresh limes - which we like for our drinks ;)

Keep in mind that most food is very bland in Cuba (we've heard from others we know who travel there quite frequently). You may want to think about bringing little packets of soy sauce, ketchup, hot sauce, or any other of your favorite condiment.

The main pool area was fine and the entertainment crew was fun! They were always trying to get you involved in some type of game and would remember who you were. Some are more memorable than others - "Chicky Chicky, Baby!"

There is no swim up bar but there is a bar located next to the pool - spoiled much? The drinks and the service there were always great. It ran out of ice once but again - spoiled much? We just had to find ice at the Terrace Bar.

The al a cartes aren't even worth mentioning in detail but I will say the "International" was the best one of them that we've tried.

Our first day there we met a group of 4 from Ontario and we spent the rest of our trip with them - time at the pool, beach, lunch, dinners, and even the shows. They made the week much more enjoyable - shout out to Mike, Dar, Yves (or Eve?), and Heather!

Overall, our trip wasn't bad and we had a good week. It just wasn't what we were accustomed to!

I

Room Tip: We've heard the south side (which is farther back from the beach and even the main building) had...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Truro, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was my 5th tri to Cuba, we went with a group of friends and had a great time, we went for less than $700.. taxes in so I was expecting the worst but overall I was very satisfied, below is the summary of good and bad, compared to toher 4 stars I stayed in Cuba I would rate this closer to 3.
The Good:
- Great Beach
-Friendly staff at beach,bar, maids, and Buffet and el a carte restaurants
-good nigh life, good music etc.
-Food was good to very good

The Bad:
-Front reception customer service is terrible
-Snack bar never had ice and often ran out of pizza and fries
-Local Cubans come often to this resort to stay,overtaking the Bars,pool,buffet etc, and they are the first to get served even if you are before them.
-Building needs some work and upgrades resort is 18 years old, needs repairs etc.

Room Tip: Please do not take bottom floor, they smell,moldy etc
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I've been to Cuba before, so I wasn't expecting a standard 3+ stars, but seriously, this resort is pretty bad.
There are flies all over the food, at the buffet, at the grill, every single day... At the buffet, the little birds will fly in directly and eat dessert from the counter. I got sick the first day.
The only place where the food is decent is at the a la carte, which you can only go at night time. The snack bar has mostly items they don't serve. You go there and you can only get chicken sandwich that are covered in mayo between burnt toasts. The vegetarian pizza (if you're lucky to get pizza), sometimes has green peppers on it, and once it was served with potatoes and canned carrots and peas as toppings.
The staff are hit or miss. Some are really nice, some they don't even come serve you or will give you attitude. (and we do tip when they are nice)
The beach is the best part of the resort. All the rest is less to be desired: Noisy AC, dirty hallways, uncomfortable beds, dirty dining tables with flies and birds eating the food you're going to eat. The resort ran out of white wines for most of the week, had no mint for mojito half of the week, only certain bar will have ice.. Left overs are lumped together and served the next day. Expect to wait for ever if you need to talk to reception because people sign in and out, locals will come to the hotel too, and reception are just slow. Some staff will expect you to tip them and make it pretty obvious, which I find it quite annoying.
oh other than the beach being a positive, our maid was pretty good, she cleaned the room well and gave us clean towels every day.
Last time I stayed at Playa de Oro - which is next to Brisas, (same gorgeous beach) , and I have to say, that resort is way better. Cleaner, nicer staffs, better/cleaner food. I will not stay at Brisas if I ever go back to Cuba.

Room Tip: My tip is to not stay at this resort. I would give the food no star if I could. It's not about...