“Great Vacation!”

Ranked #27 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
“Great Vacation!”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We just returned on April 10th from a great vacation at Brisas Del Caribe. This was our second trip to Cuba but first time to Varadero and we were so happy with Brisas. During our orientation with the Sunwing rep we were told that this was not a luxury resort but it was a family friendly resort and I couldn’t have agreed more. Not to say that the resort was not beautiful, because it was, but the luxury was not there so if that is what you’re looking for, this is not the resort for you.

Rooms:
By emailing the resort before leaving I found out that we were booked in the North Section (main building). Having read the reviews I understood there was a lot more action here and potentially could be louder so I requested a room in the South Section instead. I also asked if we could be on the second floor (there are only two floors in the South Section buildings) and have a room with a true king size bed. The management was able to move us with no problem or extra charge and we were very satisfied. The room was large, clean, had its own balcony (they all do) and was very comfortable. Now some people have indicated that it is a long walk to the beach but really it is between 3-8 minutes depending on how fast you are moving. The only negative I could say is that the mini fridge is only stalked with one large water bottle (no soda or beer provided) which you fill up at the bars when needed. I knew this from reading other reviews so it wasn’t unexpected but including soda and beer would be nice. If you are looking for a great room I would highly recommend room 647, South Section, F Block.

Maid Service:
It was excellent. Our room was always very clean and there was towel art every day. Our maid also started to leave us extra bottles of water. Our maid also left us a very sweet good-bye letter which was a nice touch.

Beach:
Incredible. Lots and lots of loungers and never a problem getting a shady spot, but then I am an early riser and was always down at the beach by 7:30 am. Even so, there were lots of people coming down at all hours and it looked like everyone could find some shade/sun/lounger.

The ocean was completely sandy and with little to no seaweed, but this also meant not a whole lot of snorkeling opportunities as not a whole lot of fish. The first couple of days we were there the ocean was so calm and clear and then it got a little rougher with some excellent waves that you could play in.

The sand was powder soft and so beautiful. The only problem was the other vacationers that left their garbage behind. The staff did try to clean up but really there is only so much they could do.

Would suggest that you bring an insulated mug as the little plastic cups don’t hold up all that well.

Food:
No complaints. It wasn’t fantastic but I knew what to expect going to Cuba. I ate a lot from the “Pasta Guy” which I was always very happy with. One thing I was surprised with was that french fries are what we Canadians would call potato chips. Not a complaint just a surprise.

Service:
Buffet - Sit in Roy’s section (he was always in the outdoor area when you came down the left hand stairs to the buffet). Absolutely fantastic and really helped make our trip special. Roy was a definite highlight.

Front Desk – I found the ladies to be helpful and cheerful with one exception. On our last day we were suppose to leave the resort at 1:45 pm but we found out, due to mechanical problems with the plane, our departure was delayed until 10:30 pm (and ultimately 11:55 pm). We were all supposed to be back in the lobby by 7:30 pm for the bus. We had already checked out by then (check out time is noon) and our luggage was in a locked room. No big deal, they let us in to retrieve our swim suits and we were able to get a key for the complimentary suit to change. Back to the beach we went and returned to the front desk at 6:00 pm. We were planning on getting the complimentary room again so we could shower and change but found out someone else had already been given the key and we would have to wait. I was a little disappointed that there was only one complimentary room but hey it’s a hotel and its understandable they don’t want a bunch of unpaid for rooms. We waited 15-20 min and I asked about the key again. Still it was not returned. I pushed a little at this point explaining we had to catch the bus at 7:30 pm and was there not another room we could use to shower. I was told no and that maybe I should go knock on the door of the complimentary room to get use of it. I was a little taken aback by this suggestion. I thought it would have been more appropriate for them to call the room or send someone to see how much longer the people would be instead of leaving it up to me. In the end the person did not turn in the key by the time we had to go so subsequently no shower.

All in all we had a great vacation at a great price and were very pleased. Would definitely consider returning.

Room Tip: South Section had nice big rooms and it was quieter with a short (3-8 min depending on your speed) t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scooched

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Beautiful beach.
Service and hotel was very unprofessional. We had a water leak in our room for the whole week and they did nothing about it.
No drinking water provided, no shampoo and the sheets of our beds smelled like sweat.
no beach towels
not many young ppl
Not recommended

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Toni S

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Ontario
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Just got back April 7,2012 from Brisas. Now I have been to Cuba only once before to Holguin stayed at Club Amigo which is a 3 star. In comparison this hotel is definitely a 4 star. The rooms are alot nicer (we were in South section room #641), this section has its own pool, rooms are more spacious and has the 24hr bar and snacks. This pool area is much quieter spent most of our time here aside from the beach. The other pool was more crowded never once went in it.

The food is your typical, repetitious Cuban food. Although I do have to say there was no shortage of condiments everything from ketchup, mustard, steak sauce, salad dressings, chocolate syrup for ice cream and more!
We travelled with 6 adults 3 kids aged 16 and 2 twelve yr olds. By the middle of the week the 16 year olds were bored! We had a couple picky eaters that were not happy with the food. Two of the 16 years olds experienced upset stomach and diahrea the last 3 days, so that discouraged them from wanting to go back to Cuba.

The beach and water was very very nice. Was in water everyday, beautiful blue colour and can walk out for quite a ways before it got too deep. Always had loungers at beach and by pool. We Brought our own towels I heard some people say they couldn't get one all the time at hotel.

Our air conditioner worked great although friends in 553 and 652 didn't have cold air like us. They did at first.

No internet at hotel despite what it says in books! Not even off site!

It would be nice if the bar and washroom was closer to beach. And speaking of washrooms sure same as everywhere else..............no toilet seats but there was always toilet paper and they were newer and cleaner than at Club Amigo. (Your room had toilet seats). Maids cleaned well everyday and always had fresh new bedding and towels.

Would I go back to this hotel? Yes for the price, we paid $711 including taxes. But we are travellers that like to experience different places so we always would look at other areas to go to.

We went with people who have never been to Cuba before the first day is always a culture shock, they didn't seem happy at all. But as the days went on they changed they're minds.

I heard many people say Mexico is way better, but people really.........you're gonna pay alot more money to go to Mexico. I have been to Mexico and we paid about $1000 each and that was to a 3 star. Yes the food was better but it is also way more commercialized and that is not what we look for when wanting to get away. If I can get away for $700 to a half decent place I'm all for it! And this place is half decent.

Go with the only expectation of have having fun, not cooking or cleaning and relaxing! Will not diapoint!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank suesec
midlands
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I dont want to give the hotel a bad review, as i think that unless you want to pay through the nose its average accomodation for Cuba. If you come to see Cuba and use it as a base its fine, but if your the type of people who dont venture from the complex then it would probably get you down after a while.

The rooms are cleaned everyday, but they are a bit tired and i have to admit i was a little disapointed when i got there as i hoped the reviews were wrong, but they arent great. I would compare it to a 2-3 greek star. The chair broke, the wardrobe was broke, the hairdryer blew up...the only thing that worked ok was the aircon...thank goodness!

The food everywhere in cuba is not great...we dont go on holiday to eat. We really aren't fussy people and thought people were just being picky..but really after 10 days you will be ready for some flavour..expecially spice! I find it crazy they dont seem to grow any kind of herbs out there??

The hotel food was pretty much the same everyday, but there is plenty of it...the highlight is the eggs lady in a morning, her fried eggs were really good! Its all about what you chose i think and how you put the weird combos together!! We never do all inclusive, so didnt know what to expect! The snack bar is a bit of a joke, you have to walk to another complex to get anything other than at meal times, which is a bit of a pain, the snack bar on the beach wasnt open much, and when it was they had run out of most items. Also the Al carte restaurants are a bit of a farse, the food its no better but you just get waited on instead, the best was the seafood, the worst was the Italian.

We did eat out on a few occasions as we were so sick of the same thing, but to be honest it doesnt get mch better in a restaurant either so be prepared for this before you go. We did have one lovely meal while we were there but we paid a small fortune for it at Xanadu (the Dupont Mansion) it cost us over £100 for 2, but was well worth it and like going back in time, with wonderful service.

The cubans are all so friendly, but still very opressed by the govenment! They do expect tips in the hotel so take lots of change...to be honest 1 peso to us is nothing but for them its a lot when they convert it into the local money, so well worth it!

The pools were nice, the jacccuzi's looked a bit dirty so we didnt go in. Plenty of of loungers etc round the pool and a bar for drinks where you can have as much as you like. Good tip buy ..a jug off the lucky men on the beach, the barmen will just refill that for you save you getting the tiny plastic cups.

The beach was amazing, the hotel is in a brilliant location right on the beach. Not many Fish about for snorkelling but you can hire hobby cats to take you out to the reefs for a couple of hrs which was good fun. We also did some diving, coral beach about 20 mins drive from the hotel & also the bay of pigs...again nice diving but everything is so overfished out there i dont think theres much left to see...but beautiful bright coloured coral non the less!

Well worth going to stay in Havana for your last night if your flying from Havana anyway...it is so beautiful...the buildings are amazing and there is so much culture there its enchanting. While we were there we also went to see Club Tropicana....not somethting i would normally do but it was just magical!

Overall, you must visit this wonderful place, but just dont expect it to be 5 star luxury...unless you stay in Xanadu itself of course ;)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ann83Midlands
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This was our third trip to Cuba. We stayed in Varadero each time. This was the second time at Las Brisas del Caribe, because we enjoyed it so much the last time.

We stayed in the south wing Garden rooms, away from the main building. One reviewer said it was too long a walk to the beach (4 or 5 minutes). We requested a garden room after they put us there on our second trip since we enjoyed it so much. There was a mix up at first this time so we were in the main building, bottom floor for the first night. As others have said, the main building is older and a bit worn. If you want to be closer to the action and the beautiful, white-sand beach, by all means stay in the main building, but if you’d enjoy a quieter area and a short walk to the beach, ask for a garden room.

The garden room was large, clean and we sat many a time on our balcony overlooking the pool enjoying a café con leche or something a little stronger. The garden area is quieter than the main building and we enjoyed the short walk through the palms to the main building & beach. The 24-hour restaurant is on the garden-rooms side and is a quiet (most of the time) spot to enjoy a drink or have a sandwich or light meal. A couple reviewers commented that it’s darker in the garden rooms area. It was bright enough for us.

There are several negative comments about the food in Cuba. I expect, in many cases, it’s that they’re first time travelers or just haven’t had much experience with other countries. There was lots of choice in the buffet. Some of the foods don’t taste quite the same as the equivalent at home but you’re in another country. Food varies from country to country. You can’t expect food in other countries to taste just like it does at home. The more you travel the more you understand this basic truth.

Before I retired I taught at a local college that always had a number of international students attending. When our divisional head asked them how they enjoyed Canada, she said a very common reply was that they “really liked Canada, but they didn’t like the food very much”. They weren’t used to our food in the same way that we’re not used to food in other countries. Sometimes it’s prepared differently, sometimes the flavor is a little different because of what the animals (in the case of meat at least) were fed or maybe they don’t use the same sauces we might.

The staff at Las Brises is first class. The great majority of them (almost 100% we found) were friendly and warm hearted. Sure, you may get the odd one that is a bit less friendly than others, but that’s true anywhere you go, including here at home. That’s human nature.

The only loud, rude, demanding people we met at the hotel were, sadly, a few of our fellow Canadians… only a few, but a few too many. It was embarrassing being near them. Since 80% or more of the guests at the hotel were Canadians, I guess it could be expected that a few would act like they had no manners.

We’ve travelled to many countries (and enjoyed every one of them) and we’ve concluded that the main reason people enjoy or don’t enjoy themselves in any given country is explained by this short fable…

==================================================================
Once upon a time, two brothers left the countryside to move to the city to look for work. Just outside of the city, the first brother met an old man and asked him, "What are the people like in this city?" The old man replied, 'Well, how were they where you come from?' "They were all grumpy and miserable," replied the brother. "That's why I decided to leave." "You'll find the people here about the same," said the old man.

A little while later, the second brother met the old man. He too asked, "What are the people like in this city? The old man replied, 'Well, how were they where you come from?' "They were wonderful people. Friendly and kind." replied the brother. "That's why it was so hard for me to leave." "You'll find the people here about the same," said the old man.
==================================================================

As you’d expect, the grounds are filled with beautiful palms and other tropical trees, many with colorful flowers. Royal Palms are particularly attractive. On the garden side, if you time it right, you may spot chickens running about, maybe with their chicks, and almost anywhere you’ll see geckos skittering about. There are a couple Muscovy ducks in the fountain area (one white, one black) in front of the main building and a few small fish in the water there, and some beautiful bamboo beside the walkway. As nature lovers, these things all added to our enjoyment of the walk to the main building and beach.

There’s free, quality entertainment every night about 10pm

We haven’t stayed at other resorts in Varadero (on our first trip we stayed in town at a small hotel) so I can’t compare Las Brisas with others along the strip, but we would definitely stay here again. Our only reason for not staying here again would be that we like to explore new cities and areas, so if we visit Cuba again (and we probably will) we may stay in another city, to explore new territory, and to see what new experiences we might have.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side (garden side) are newer, larger & quieter, but a 4 or 5 minute walk to t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bob B
Westville, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stayed at this resort for 7 days and were treated with kindness and respect. The resort is very pretty with lovely grounds, well maintained. The room we got was nice and large and very clean. The maid made special towel arrangements each day. The whole property was cleaned and so were the pools. The food was not great but we had no problem finding something to eat each day. I did have a health problem due to the fish, so I would stay away from that. I have to thank all the staff especially our maid from 505 and our waiters, Daniel and Ray who couldn't do enough for us. We would go back in a heartbeat. This is the only exclusively cuban owned and run resort.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the main buiding it is musty and smells of mould. We had to transfer out when we arri...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sue h
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Alright, just to start off, if you are expecting luxury from a 4 star ***Cuban 4 star resort, bye.

Our trip was amazing! First time in Cuba, and it was awesome! I will tell you about it fairly detailed, so you know everything to expect. :)
Resort:
Do not read old reviews! They recently renovated the rooms, and gave a nice makeover to the outside resort!! Very, very nice!
Rooms:
When we got to the resort, we were told that our room wasn't ready yet. No big deal. They kept our luggage in a back room, and we walked around. We came back an hour later, and it still wasn't ready yet. We went to eat lunch, went to the beach, and then came back. Our room was ready. (It took 3 hours). We got a room in the South building, which is newer, the rooms are better, and bigger. We got room number 516, which is ground level. I've seen reviews suggesting that you get a room above ground level, but we had no issues. Our room was very big! You would be surprised. It was awesome! **Each room has a balcony. In our room, there was a king size bed, 2 single cots, a mini fridge, desk, table and chairs, and a TV, which didn't work. NO BIG DEAL, we would not be spending part of our vacation in Cuba sitting in the room watching TV. Mainly, We weren't in the room very often. Pretty much just before bed. **The rooms are very clean, and the maid comes everyday, and makes this cool "Towel Art"! People say that the South Rooms are "too far away" from the beach. Well, they are just LAZY. Gosh, what do you expect? A moving sidewalk to the beach? The South rooms aren't even that far away from the beach! You walk up beside the South pool, through the lobby, passed the north pool, and bam. The beach is there. **Keep in mind that South Section is quieter.

Food:
I have read many reviews saying that Cuban food isn't the best, but I was VERY impressed. You always found something you liked. There was a few moments you thought, "um, what is this"... But, you try it and find out that you really like it. :) The pasta bar, and the omelette bar were really good. Especially the pancake/crepe breakfast. Yum!

A La Cartes:
Seafood (La Caleta); was pretty good. I enjoyed it.
Italian (Fantasia); REALLY good. The pasta was delicious.
Cuban: THE BEST!!!! YUM!!!! The best service, food, etc.....

Service:
The front desk people weren't all that helpful. Oh well. No big deal. The bartenders were fairly quick. One thing about the service is that if they see you with a tip in your hand, they will treat you the same as any other person. In fact, they really don't care. They'll serve 10 people in front of someone with a tip.

People:
The people in Cuba are really nice. :) They never have their hand out asking for tips, or anything! :) I have read stuff saying that they are poor, and to bring gifts for them. We found it hard to give gifts away.

Excursions:
We went on the catamaran to Cayo Blanco, and we also did a dolphin part. First, we got on a bus and went to the dolphin place. You get in the water with them, and you swim up, and 2 of them come up and kiss your cheeks. A picture is taken. Next, they roll on their backs and you can rub their bellies. :) They wave good bye to you, and you get out. Note: The pictures they take are available to buy for 10 pesos. The pictures are actually pretty big, and I suggest you buy them. Looking at the picture is a MEMORY. :) Next, we got on the catamaran. We got lucky because ours was only half full. :) We rode on the catamaran until we got to the reef. We went snorkeling, and it was AWESOME! Lots of fish to see! I had a BLAST!!!!!!!!!! :D We got an hour to snorkel. When we got back on the catamaran, we went to Cayo Blanco. It was beautiful!!! :D White sand beach, see-through crystal clear turquoise water, nice weather.... AWESOME! They gave us lunch on the island, and 3 hours of "beach time". You could go kayaking, swimming, walking, anything.

Beach:
The beach was just like Cayo Blanco. Awesome. :) There was beach volleyball, kayaking, snorkeling available ($)****, and it was great! It was nice relaxing, going for a swim, and going for walks on the white sand beach! :D
**** We met a guy that would take us on his Hobie Cat to go snorkeling for $20 a person.
I WOULD GO BACK IN A HEART BEAT. :D
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND BRISAS DEL CARIBE!!!!!

Room Tip: South Side is better. Go on the catamaran to Cayo blanco!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family