“first time to cuba....fantastic!!!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brisas del Caribe Hotel

Brisas del Caribe Hotel
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Petawawa, Canada
“first time to cuba....fantastic!!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

We just returned from Cuba and stayed at the Brisas Del Caribe. This was our first time to cuba and I can tell you I would go back in a heartbeat!!
Lets start with the hotel. This is a 4 star hotel by cuban standards, it was very clean and very spacious. There are two sections to the hotel, a south side and a north side. The north side is the main building and the south is away from it a little ways. We stayed in room 425 in the north side. The room itself was spacious and very clean but the view was something to be desired. Our view was the roof over the main lobby. We were hoping for a beach view but I guess beggers cant be choosers and for the amount of time we actually spent in the room it really didnt matter. Our maids name was Joselin and she was very friendly. Everyday we found the wonderful towel designs on our bed and the room was always clean.
There was plenty to do on the resort if you planned you day. They had dancing lessons by the pool side, aqua fitness in the ocean, sports, and night life right at the resort. The beach was beautiful!! Very clean and always had chairs available. There were a lot of vendors on the beach but they were not pushy with their items. I can not say enough about the friendliness of the people at this resort!! They love canadians and will go out of thier way to ensure you have a good vacation. They are not pushy at all and are very appreciative if you leave a small tip for them. Our average tip was one peso either on the table for the waitress or at the bars for your drinks. Of course you are not obligated to leave a tip but you get to know the staff and it just seems right.
We took two excursions while we were there. We did the all day trip into Havana that included the tropicana show. It was a very long day but it was worth it. We learned alot about the history of Cuba and saw some magnificent buildings in Havana. The tropicana show was amazing, the costumes and music was fantastice plus we came out of there with a mickey of rum free to take home.(tip: if you dont plan on drinking the rum there ask for a mickey to split between two people as apposed to a bottle to split between 4). The other excursion we took was the catamaran dolphin swim. That was fantastic. The dolphins were amazing and very gentle. We went snorkling and then went to a small island where we enjoyed lobster and had a few hours just to relax on the beach. I would highly recommend ths excursion.
Now, the food. Well it was ok at best but that is what we expected going there. Remember to bring imodium with you as travellers diahrerea is common and ths will help a lot. Their main staple there is rice, cabbage and beans. This was found on the buffet everyday. I found the buffet was very repetative. We did enjoy shrimp a few nights a week but they cook it on a grill with the heads and everything. If you dont mind peeling your shrimp then you have to try it. They had other things on the grilling station such as fish, hamburgers, hot dogs and pasta that were good. Breakfast you have to try the fruit filled crepes....delicious and the omlettes are fantastic too. There is a section where you can always get fresh fruit and fruit smoothies. We didnt starve but just remember that this is not Canada and the food is going to be different from what you are used to.
Rum flows like water in Cuba so if you enjoy rum it is fantastic. Bring a large insulted cup with you ( bubba cups found at Canadian Tire work best but remember you have to carry it around with you so i would recommend nothing bigger than the 32-34 oz ones) you can get them filled at any bar on the resort and it saves you from having to go back every 10 mins.
Overall we had a wonderful time and would go back for sure. Oh, if you want to go into Varadero for shopping I would highly recommend taking the double decker bus as it is a whole lot cheaper. You can get on the bus for 5 pesos each and ride the bus all day, getting off and on it when and where you want. The taxis are neat but they can get very expensive running between 5-10 pesos one way.
Cuba is a very friendly country and for it being our first time it was fantastic..just go!!!!!

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the beach then choose a room in the main building. If you are a family an...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank jsltce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

This was our first time in Cuba and I have to say that was the best holiday in years! My wife and I were very pleased that we choose Brisas Del Caribe for our destination.
For the whole week the weather was hot, too hot for me (!) but my wife enjoy it! The beach with the white sand is very nice; the water was clean and warm and was my favorite place to go at sunset.
The personal from the resort was very nice and friendly, and I would like to mention three names in particular: Maylen, Juan Carlos and Michael. Those people became our friends for the period we stayed there. They are very professional but they have a very good personality and heart and that is why they are very close to us.
Maylen kept our room spotless and every day she surprised us with a new figurine made from the bath towels. She is an artist in doing that!
Juan Carlos from the snack bar was making sure that we have coffee and enough liquids on our table during the hot days in Varadero. Thank you, Juan!
Michael one of the security people has always something nice to say and is eager to help you if you have a problem. Keep it that way young man!
All the best to Sarah and William from the snack bar and to all the people who are working hard at Brisas, to make us the tourists feeling good on our holiday in Varadero !
See you next year guys ! Room 549 will be ours next year also !

Room Tip: The rooms in the south block are bigger, nicer and quieter during the night. Snack bar was my favor...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank George D
Alliston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

We started in not such a great room, but were promptly moved the following day to a great pool view room, and had Douglas help us move all our stuff. Thanks Douglas you were amazing, with my father and the wheelchair also. The staff were great! The bar staff at the pool, and at the lobby bar were always happy, and made the stay an enjoyable one. Yes the food! It is Cuba, but we were there for 2 weeks, and never did any one of us go without being stuffed. We got a great deal for 2 weeks, and it was an amazing holiday. All in the attitude, I think.

Room Tip: We were in 324 and 329, both great rooms in the main building
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank lovecuballiston
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

We just got back from a week long stay in Cuba staying at the Brisas del Caribe. We chose Cuba as a warm winter holiday getaway with our 2 young adult sons. We went to Cuba because of it's overall price and the opportunity to see Havana and it's unique architecture.
Before leaving, we heard that Cuba had its limitations with accomodation, quality of food, etc. The resort exceeded our pre-trip expectations. Our rooms were in the south tower - nice and quiet, rooms very clean (did not see 1 bug in the room), nice and cool with A/C. Maintenance of some minor aspects were lacking but essentials were fixed on request (ie plugged sink drain). Food was plentiful. Yes, it did lack in flavorings and was relatively basic dishes and lack of variety day to day. However, you need to keep in mind that this is a developing country with limited imported goods. The food exceeded our pre-trip expectations. Tips are greatly appreciated by the serving staff and the housekeeping staff. Yuniel , who worked in the restaurant, was exceptional and always made us feel welcome as soon as we walked in. Remember that 1-2 CUC tip is very much appreciated. Don't forget to tip others in the resort - such as the security guards, gardeners, lifeguards. They are often forgotten but equally add to the overall holiday experience. The resort is spacious - always able to get a beach or poolside chair. Beautiful landscaping. Only complaint was the public toilets within the resort were not well maintained. Entertainment was provided during the day and evening but did get repetitive. Not enough night life for the younger generation however, no noise late into the evening! Beach was beautiful although we were disappointed that there weren't the snorkeling opportunities that we wanted. Resort is a ways out from Varadero but you can access it by the double decker public bus. Well worth your money to do a guided tour into Havana. We also did the day trip on the Catamaran to Cayo Blanco. Loved the boat ride and the lunch and time on the island - the snorkeling was rushed and disappointing however. Overall, we had a very enjoyable trip.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, then avoid rooms that are located close to the 24 hr. snack bar.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Christina V
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

Overall a good trip! But take these tips into consideration because it will make everything so much easier on you!

1. When you get to the resort, you will be told your room is not ready until 4pm. Since we arrived around noon, we gave them our baggage to lock up for us. We didnt want to wait any longer so we gave the bell boy a tip and asked him to help us out with the room. Our room was instantly ready. He took our stuff to our room right away and helped us out with no question
2. BOOK YOUR A LA CARTES between 10am-12am every day at the buffet. You will be extremely disappointed with the food there. I am not a picky eater at all, but I found myself eating bread and rice all week because everything had questionable meat mixed into it. The a la cartes have great food, so use those as much as you can.
3. If you want to go into the city, buy a bus pass from the woman at the travel agency desk sitting by the door. A bus runs at the corner of the resort every 30 mins. It is 5 pesos for a ride there and back. GO TO DANTE'S italian restaurant in the park. You will be SO pleased with the service and the food there. It cost me 7 pesos for an amazing meal.
4. If you are using a taxi, make sure you agree on a price before you get in the taxi. Barter a little with them.
5. Dont go on the guided tour of Havana with Sunwing! I'm sorry to say we were pretty disappointed. We payed 100 dollars for a guided tour of Havana, a dinner, and a ticket to a show that was mediocre at best. The show was called Tropicana, and everyone raves about this show, however it is 2 hours of women shaking their hips to the same latin beats over and over again. Its up to you, but our group was displeased with it.
6. The beach is absolutely awesome, you definitely have to buy a pineapple drink from the man with the cart on the beach. He carves out a pineapple, and then makes you an authentic pina colada in the pineapple. Amazing.
7. Just remember that the food is very disappointing, and do what you can to eat other places and try out different spots. In the mornings, get the man at the back of the buffet to make you eggs. In the afternoon, he can make you pasta.
8. For lunch, go to the snack bar by the beach. They actually have burgers and hot dogs there that arent questionable.
9. The 24 hour bar serves food and is open on the south resort. Go there if you want to have some good drinks, and decent food
10. Leave your maid tips on your pillow! I got awesome service from the maids if I gave them a tip!
11. Leave your suitcases on the table or desk they have there. We found little ants crawling around the floor. My friend found a cockroach in their room. I never had a problem, just the ants kind of creeped me out.
The crowd that was there was average age 30 i'd say. Lots of young people my age (21) but most were older and were russian men travelling with their wives.
Nonetheless, everyones friendly and definitely up for making friends. You will meet people from all around the world, which is awesome.
The beaches are AMAZING. you will want to spend the majority of your trip alongside the beach. The staff is AWESOME. no complaints about the staff, lock your stuff up in the hotel safe, and enjoy yourself! overall a great week when i figured out the things to make my week better.

Have fun! personally, next time I go on vacation, I will probably shell out the extra money for a place with better food. But dont let this review deter you! everybody is different with different tastes, I just wish the food was better!

Room Tip: stay in a room that starts with a 2! For example 262. Less bugs, closer to lobby, no stairs. etc.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
22 Thank 331Kat
Thornhill, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

I was here with a Female friend in Jan 2 to 9 of 2011, I am late in writing the review but bettter late it will be worth it for the reader.

The food was ok, they had variety I was greatful for what I can find to enjoy.(Bring Franks hot Sauce helps)

The coffee and Capachinos were incredible at the main Lobby Bar or at the 24 hour bar.

The staff working and entertainment stuff were great. Roger if he is still there was a great at getting the VollyBall games and Partying going thank you Roger (Blond Cuban)

The pool was nice and the pool bars served quick. I also found the hot tub great in January.

I went to one of the clubs in Varadero city the Cave it was cool to check out but way too packed for me.

I was happy with the Main Lobby Bar and the 24 hour bar everyone drinks into the wee hours.

If you have good music and speakers bring them as this resort doesnt have much in music. I love music so I had the chance to Dj for over a 100 people on some nights in the Main Lobby bar and 24 hour Bar.

It was awesome experience that the Cuban workers will never forget or I will forget. I was so happy it helped them enjoy serving drinks and getting more tips. It made me enjoy my time on the resort I became like a Celebrity DJ everyone liked the music I had. I was playing everything for all different music fans. If you go ask about it im sure they remember me 1 year ago if any of the workers are still there working.

I found the crowd was mostly CanadianToronto and lots of Canadians from Alberta and BC.

We also had some really cool people from France, Germany, Russia, and other parts of europe and South America.

what I found and loved about this resort you have some interesting conversations with so many like minded people from all over the world.

I had a great week, I still keep up with some people I met on the trip from my city who enjoyed it so much we had a small meeting at a Bar on Eglinton in Toronto last year.

Last but not least the Beach is incredible and very Clean.

The week I was there in early January perfect weather it was amazing for my first time in Cuba Varadero.

I also went to Havana on a Day trip offered by the Resort. I strongly recommend you do it. It is a great trip and you will really take in the sights, sounds, smells and great food and drinks of Havana.

Room Tip: Get a Second Floor room always :)
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Joshuab1979
British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

We have been to the Brisas twice. We found several good things about the hotel but there were also some not so good...
Let's start with the good:

The resort has a comfortable feel. The lobby is warm and welcoming. The resort is organized very well with everything within a 5 minute walk. The beach is very close and beautiful! Most of our time was spent lying in the sun and playing in the waves. The bartenders were mostly joyful and friendly, same as the servers and maids. The foliage around the resort is beautiful! It's a very pleasant experience walking around. The hanging beds by the pool were our favorite place to relax! There is a wonderful violin player who appears sometimes and it's beautiful to look at the palm trees and hear the melody. Massages on the beach were great too! The seafood was really good.
Now the not so good:
Some of the staff were not very friendly, especially the front desk. Maybe they are overworked. The rooms were very humid and nothing stayed dry, even the sheets. They didn't have fitted sheets and they always ran out of clean ones before getting to our room so our sheets were never changed. The shower head didn't work, the safe needed batteries, the bath plug was missing and the toilet seat broken. That said, the staff fixed them straight away! The rooms were very noisy. You could hear everything! I would suggest the south building if you want quiet. The beds were very hard, but nothing a massage on the beach can't fix;) The $ exchange opened and closed whenever it wanted, so be prepared. They'd say they'd be back in an hour, which turned into 3. The food was ok. Bring spices, or ask for garlic, wine etc. The spaghetti and crepes and seafood were great though! They served a whole plateful to each person, which means they'd run out very quickly and the lineups were 20 people long. I mentioned this and hope it will be better next time. Bring mosquito spray! And wear it at night! Their venom is very different and SO ITCHY!!!

Overall, both stays were very enjoyable. I love the feel of the place, the comfortability and the closeness to everything within the resort. I would definitely visit again. I would just suggest that if you aren't happy with something, just ask, as they seem eager to please and genuinely want us to be happy. You can always speak to the hotel relations lady in the lobby. She is very easy to talk to and wonderful!

The Brisas is for the adventurous and for the person who enjoys the middle class comfort of the little things. If you want extravagance and 5 star, this is not the place for you...

• Stayed February 2012