“Not your dream vacation”

Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas
Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“Not your dream vacation”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Don’t expect much from Cuba. Take 1,5 star from official rating, that you will end up with more realistic picture. Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas is not an exception.
Having said so, I need to say, though not the standard you would associate with your dream vacation, but you can be sure, you’ll get the best Cuba has to offer.
Hotel quite dated. Food somewhat average and not much of the variety. Every day seams the same. Decoration around food may change, but not the food.
Sufficient to go on, not enough to get excited. A’la carte restaurants not any better in terms of quality and flavor, but provide some craved change to the overall day in – day out same menu in a buffet.
Excellent coffee bar and extraordinary coffee. Exceptional crew in a lobby bar – quite an addition to improve overall experience.
Shows and animation activities… well… don’t forget a good book – you will need one.
If travelling with children, be prepared to take care of them yourself. Parents I was talking to were not very pleased with what stuff had to offer. Mostly kids activities involve outside trip to nearby attractions and they are paid extra.
Good for an economy vacation option for visitors from Americas, but I would think long and twice of paying premium to come over from Europe.
I will be looking for some other place to stay on my next trip to Varadero.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jack B
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, General Manager at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Guest, I thank you for your kind words.

We regret that the holidays have not been wholly to his liking.

The Hotel and the ROC team works tirelessly to improve every day looking for 100% satisfaction from all our customers.

I must comment that recently have joined our team two Cheff high reputation from Europe, which has achieved an improvement in all our menus and themed restaurants.

We hope you decide to come back so they can see the improvements we are making in search of excellence.

On behalf of Roc Hotels and I personally thank you for choosing us for your vacation.

Agustin Sainz Parrado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was not impressed by Sunwing, particularly their cabin service, but once I arrived at the resort 12 hours late after an overnight delay the holiday was excellent.
After a few hiccups for the first two days, the remainder of my holiday was great. I had requested a quiet room - this was not what I got! I even asked the desk staff who assured me it would be quiet when I checked in. It was very close to the pool where all the noisy daytime activites were taking place. Luckily they stopped at siesta time and after dinner. My room was comfortable and very clean. I had several problems with the key card not working on the door or room safe. And, for the first three days the phone did not work. I was offered a change of rooms.
I have travelled all over the world and to many all inclusive resorts in recent years and, overall, the food was really good. Particularly at the beach restaurant where, at lunchtime, fresh red snapper was available at the BBQ each day. The lobby bar with pianist was a lovely place to meet up with new friends after dinner. But the bar tenders need mojito lessons! The coffee bar outside the main buffet is excellent with a good variety of coffee and tea.
The housekeepers, desk staff and servers were so friendly. The servers at the buffet always made sure I got a nice table close to a window once they discovered that was my preference. I discovered early on that by bringing my water bottle to meals it would be refilled by the servers. Little tips throughout the holiday to servers and housekeepers work wonders!
Internet service was easy to access but often slow. But, on vacation, who is in a hurry?
The tours I booked through my destination rep met and exceeded my expectations.
The beach is amazing and so safe - no hassles from beach vendors at all and I walked several kilometres each day. However a couple of the life-guards did approach guests to sell cigars! Sometimes the sea was too rough to kayak but you would expect that in January.
The town of Varadero was easy to visit using the "hop on and off" bus which goes from the main road a short walk from the resort. The gardens at the resort are mature, well maintained and very pretty. I really liked the low-rise concept as compared to the high-rises that seem to dominate the area.
Overall I was very happy to stay there for my first visit to Cuba and will stay there again when I return.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool are quieter. Closer to the beach the rooms are quieter but are longish wal...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank 35pluscountries

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2014

You get what you pay for is right ! you need to book restrurant the day you get there for everyday apparently they were booked and the lady in customer service was to busy on the phone to even care! i only got one bottle of water for 3 people when i was there i asked the maid and she said she did not have any and i tipped too and some people we went with got water everyday i called reception and they had the nerve to tell me to go get my empty bottle and go fill it up oh hell no!!! The pillows are pancakes too horrible
the lobby at night was boring buffet gross snack bar eat your food before the scary crow like birds eat it entertainment was ok disco was non existent the only good part of this trip was the pregnant lady in aniamation YUYA but she is gonna pop soon so with out her this place is going to be soooo boring! And it is so far if you forget something in the room we were in block 4 but at nite there are 3 dogs on this resort that walk you to your room feed them and give them water the y gave the best service at this hotel! Italian have there own restrurant block and entertainment nothing to complain about they are there for the italian beach nice but man europeans are the worst for saving spots with there towel all day in the shade but yet fry in the sun so if you lose a towel on the last day just go to the beach and take one of theirs!

Room Tip: block 4 is far but all are far from the lobby neways
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest, I thank you for your comments.

We regret that have not enjoyed as expected in our complex.

Since his visit, the Hotel has improved in various aspects such as in food, where we built two European chefs that have substantially improved the Buffet menus and themed restaurants.

The infraestuctura is improving, we are renovating all the blocks with new air conditioners like the furniture.

ASfortinadamente dogs but no longer exist once it enters any eb given to how open is the Hotel and regulations we have to help the animals and deliver them to a center that cares and gives attention.

I hope that you decide to spend your holidays along c us so you can enjoy the improvements we are making in search of excellence.

Moncton, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2014

6 ladies stayed in 3 rooms in building 8 the week of April 16th-23rd.
We all agreed it was a great resort and would certainly go back. Most were Cuba newbies and all commented on how clean the resort was. This is at least the 10th resort I have been to in Cuba and this one is a keeper.
It was well laid out and easy to find everything. The rooms were basic but had everything we needed and all worked well. My room had a noisy air conditioner but it really didn't bother me too much.
The food was acceptable and no one went hungry. Food is available in several locations during the day and the pool snack bar was great for daytime and late night. Everyone loved the french fries and chicken sandwiches there. (No fries at late night though). They also had hamburgers, hotdogs and other items. The lobby coffee bar was excellent.
We enjoyed the beach and pool which has a nice swim up bar. Both were kept spotless as was all of the resort. I was especially impressed with the cleanliness of the public washrooms. Always clean and fully supplied with toilet paper, soap, and hand towels.
The staff in general was helpful and pleasant. I did notice the sourpuss face of the towel lady as commented on by many other reviewers.
I will mention I was a bit nervous about all the comments of special treatment given to a segment of the hotel patrons and can say there were no problems at all in this area. They do have a dedicated team of entertainment workers but that is included in their package that they paid for.
All in all we had a lovely trip and I am hoping to return to this hotel. The weather was fabulous, the service good, and nothing was very far away.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, I thank you for your comments.

It is a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your holiday with us.

Thanks for your comments that make us improve every day in search of excellence.

Ottawa
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stayed here march 28th - April 4th. Our 2nd trip to Cuba and first to varadero. We were on a budget so were looking for one of the cheaper resorts and were willing to accept that you get what you pay for. Overall not bad. The food was pretty good by cuban resort standards, the beach and resort nice and clean. Drinks were disappointing, often warm, other than the pool bar mixers were kept in bottles on the side so the drinks were warm and juices were week powder mixes. They made lousy mojitos. Fortunately I have learned to travel with my own stock of clamato juice? It was really nice to be able to get a nice coffee anytime at the coffee bar. We spent most of our time on the beachside there were plenty of beds. The room was clean, although the bed and pillows harder than we are use to. It was nice to be able to take the short bus ride in varadero, explore the street and restaurants and do a little shopping. Enjoyed my holiday but probably would not recommend this resort.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hev_t
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, General Manager at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Guest, I thank you for your kind words.

We have taken note of your feedback to improve on all the things that tell us that our customers benefit

Amherst, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

This small resort is great to keep an eye on kids. This was the first time we brought the kids here and one of my boys is a picky eater but everyday he had lots to pick from pizza, fries, spaghetti, breads, eggs, hotdogs, hamburgers and much more and for us many new foods to try which were very good. We went on a dolphin trip was fabulous kids had a blast. Our house keeping was wonderful and so friendly always took care of anything we needed. Front desk was great too upgraded our room to a suite which gave us lots of room for 4 people 2 adults and 2 kids. Other rooms are great for couples but suites are much better if you bring family. Gardeners very friendly making grasshoppers and flowers for kid out of palm leafs and getting coconuts for the kids to try. Bartenders were so friendly kids enjoyed ordering Shirley temples non alcoholic drinks from the bar. Staff always remember us as we remember them. We did tip and give treats which they were grateful. It was great seeing our housekeeper from last year as well she was so happy we remembered her and invited us to meet her family when we come back everyone is so kind buffet staff had a table reserved for us everyday there and took care of anything needed as well can't wait to go back. Pools and beach were great spent most of our days at both one in the morning the other in the afternoon.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Jolene76
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, General Manager at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Guest, first of all I thank you for your comments that make us improve every día.personalmente and on behalf of all my staff your kind words.

Okotoks, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We recently returned from our stay and will return (April 26 - May 5). Food was good, clean rooms and resort, great beach and friendly staff.

We stayed on the 600 block which is closest to the beach and pool. Our room was bigger than expected and the air conditioning was brilliant. A decent view from the balcony - perfect for drinks and a cigar. Our chambermaid was a lovely women who obviously took pride in her work.

The food was great. Personally, I am not a picky eater but my wife tends to have some limitations with certain food. She was as content as I with every meal we had. Dolce Vita, El Galeón and Natura were fantastic. As were the staff in all three restaurants! Super friendly, accommodating and quick witted. Buffets tend to be boring wherever you are in the world but we had zero complaints. Always fresh fruit and juices, tasty themed dishes and generic foods foods to keeps everyone happy. Once again we have to mention the staff - Adalys and Rafael - after meeting them the first night we had to make sure we sat in their section...kind, warm, caring people who always had a smile and positive attitude.

The beach was spacious with plenty of beds, cabanas and waterfront. No pushy, pestering people walking the beaches or trying to sell hotel excursions.

There is only one pool but had wasn't an issue during our stay as we were on the tail end of the peak season. We heard the exact same playlist everyday at the pool but who really cares when you're on vacation in the sun with family and friends...plus we all have some type of media player that we can utilize if absolutely necessary. Milady and Daniel are wonderful. They were efficient and fast during the rush times, they were always joking, happy, kind and personable - no attitudes at all, even with the louder "happier" clientele, they were easy to talk to and great to bounce excursion ideas off of....just good people.

I feel the need to criticize something seeing this is a critique....the only, pathetic complaint is the towel lady. We seemed to be a bother whenever exchanging a towel. This is really the only, albeit silly and infantile, complaint we had for our entire stay.

Room Tip: We were in unit 6, rooms 621-623-624, no problems at all. A/C was fantastic, a decent view from the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

It is a pleasure to know you have enjoyed your holiday with us.

I confirm that we changed the towels lady to improve this service.