“Great family vacation”

Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
Belleville, Canada
“Great family vacation”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our family (2 adults 5 yo, 7yo) stayed here for March Break 2013. We met my parents and nephew there because it would cost the same amount to travel across Canada and we would still be cold. We asked ahead of time to have rooms close to each other and when we got there our rooms were side by side.

Once we added two cots there wasn't much room left in the room and we were all in a row. On the second night a water main broke, so we went to reception and they had already put us in a new room. We ended up in a family suite. This was the best thing that could have happened to us. The family suite has two rooms. In the living room there is a double bed and then we asked for another cot. This is where the kids stayed. In the living room there was plenty of space, a table, a couch, sink, fridge and probably some other stuff. My wife and I slept in the bedroom, this was separated by the bathroom and a closet. Having the separate rooms was great; we could put the kids to bed and then stay up and watch tv, talk or read with the lights on. If I had of known the difference between the rooms I would have requested one from the start.

This was our first visit to Cuba. I found Cuba, Varadero and our resort very safe. The weather was beautiful and the people were very friendly.

We loved the beach. A couple days we were not allowed to swim because of the waves, so we went to the pool which is also nice with a bar that serves up tasty drinks and lemonade for the kids or other virgin cocktails. There was one problem, not enough chairs. If you were allowed swimming in the ocean then there weren't enough chairs at the beach and if the waves were up the pool chairs filled up quickly. And there are some people who reserve their chair with a towel for the whole day and hardly use it. We caught on after a few days and sent my Dad (the early bird) down to reserve chairs.

The restaurant was good. My daughter had pasta every night, she is picky at home too. My son, the not-so-picky one had a great time trying out all kinds of foods. After 4-5 days the food gets a tad bland, but you can always find something to eat. The breads are awesome. You can have omelettes everyday and there is always ice cream at night.

We went in to Varadero a few times. It is a quick bus ride in. We took a regular bus one time and the double decker another time. Both cheap and easy to access.

The guys running the catamarans took us out. It was cheap and a lot of fun. We left right from the beach. They took us out to the reef and showed us all the pretty fish. It was 20 pesos for me and my Dad and 10 Pesos for my son and nephew. Great deal. Doesn't take the whole day either.

I would definitely go back to this resort. I think it was a great value. My whole family had a great time.

If you have kids, get the Family Suite!

Room Tip: Get the Family Suite. Worth every penny.
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank 174Mac
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, General Manager at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Sir, first of all, I wanted to thank you for your comments from your stay at our Resort.
We're glad you enjoyed the Family Suite.
We hope to return soon with us so they can see the improvements made by the hotel in all areas.

Director General

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Amherst, Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was our first trip to Cuba was great never had any problems we had a second floor balcony 423 great location right across from the pool the beach was to the right of us and the buffet area and disco was to the left of us. The grounds were kept clean and gound keepers were very kind. Our room was very clean no problems always had plenty of water and our house keeper always left beautiful little designs made with our towels and blankets she was fantastic when ever we needed anything. Beaches were clean a little hard to find a chair sometimes but if you got to the beach or the pool early enough was no problem. Food was good always found really good things I liked at the buffet waiters and waitress were friendly. Their shows they had every night were great entertainment never made it to the disco always too tired. Jeep tour was great also catamaran tour was too. All around fantastic trip definitely going back felt like home so relaxing and great people.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Jolene76
Dear Sirs, the Staff of the Hotel and I wanted to thank you for your positive comments about your vacation to help us keep improving to pursue excellence in the service we provide.

Director General
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We read MANY reviews before heading to this hotel. Many rated it as below average or not bad if you didn't have high expectations. We are not 5 star kind of people. We like smaller, quieter places, where you can get to know the staff and other guests. Although we visited in the slower season, it is my firm belief that no hotel/resort should make you feel like it is the off season. When we arrived we were given a map with restaurants/hours listed. We were excited about the 5 bars and 5 restaurants, including a 24hr service. At no time was there more than one restaurant open (other than the snack bar, with burgers, dogs and one sugary drink option). When the beach bar was open, they didn't have beer (no beer on the beach?! where more than 50% of visitors are from Canada!). The beach is gorgeous, for the record! You could only get a glass of wine with dinner, no other time. The front desk staff was always put off by you disturbing them with questions. Pepe at the lobby bar was our only saving grace for great service. The food was exactly the same EVERY SINGLE DAY! We did make 2 reservations for the other restaurants available during our stay and both times we were presented with a menu, chose our dishes and were then told that they were not available or "not good". Out side of our room building there was a perpetual oil leak of some sort that was never cleaned up resulting in many slips and falls of guests. If you didn't slip on this, then perhaps the cockroach visitor in the hall (one on the ceiling of the main dining room also). For 2 days we had no toilet paper in our room. The beds are extremely old and smell of guests of past. I could go on and on, but if you have read any of my other reviews, you will see that I prefer to focus on the good. Our expectations are low and we love to focus on the people, but the lack of smiles, enthusiasm and management in this hotel is extra disappointing. Did find a WONDERFUL seafood restaurant in Varadero (Barracuda). Been to many places in the world. This visit concludes that Cuba is flat and disinteresting. Hotels represent their countries. This one is a flop.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CostaRicacrazy

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Let me start by saying that this was my fourth visit to this piece of heaven and we were worried that the change in ownership would change our Cuban home. Let me say that it has only changed it for the better.

We travelled April 16th to 23rd and we were a group of 6.
Check in was smooth and as always staff at the check in we helpful and always accomidating, Onyx you are as kind as you are beautiful.
Rooms were good we always stay in the 300 block, nice location but a couple days in a couple of us moved to the suites in the 1100 block. I am now very spoiled.
As always the staff that have made this place were attentive and kind. Rudy, Isly, Adailys, Gerrardo, Danielle, Mylady and Lazaro you always make us feel special.
The one really noticeable change was the Manager, Jaun was always talking to the guests and listening to their opinions.
Jaun held a VIP dinner for returning guests and it was fantastic! At that dinner he announced that he and the Manager from the Barlevento were changing places in about two weeks. Augustine was introduced to us and he seems like he will be a very interactive manager as well.

They hired a new chef from Mexico and I have to say that I had the best meal of my life in Cuba! I know it is hard to imagine, but true. I always take spices and stuff from home and never had to use it one time.

All and all the only negative thing I see happening, is the improvements made may take this piece of heaven out of my price range.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank hairdoer24
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

This was the 3rd time at this resort. We took along another couple with us, this was their first time in Cuba. They loved it so much , they want to know when we are going back . Food, accomadations, and staff were amazing . See you soon Roc Arenas Doradas !!!

• Stayed April 2013
6 Thank Cindy H
Dear Sir, first of all, I wanted to thank you for your positive comments about your vacation.
It is a pleasure for us to know we've got to make them feel good in your holidays.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was my first time to Cuba. Here are my thoughts/opinions on our trip (May 15-25, 2013) (We went with a large group of 13 people)

Room: We stayed in the 800 block of rooms which was close to the beach and pool. The room was not bad, the bathroom could of used a renovation as the tub was chipped and old, otherwise, it was clean and we did not see any bugs/creatures in the room and we were on the main level. They are in the midst of renovating some suites but they were not ready when we were there.

Pool: Was very big and there was always pool chairs available. It had a nice swim up bar and 2 large huts for shade. The kids pool was good but it didn't have any shade.

Beach: This is the reason to go to Cuba, the beach was outstanding, the water was crystal clear and very clean and there was plenty of sun huts to sit under with lots of beach chairs. There is a bar near the pool which is also very convenient. There was music at the beach and entertainment most days.

Food: As expected the food was ok. The buffet had plenty of choices and there was always something good to eat, the breakfast buffet had a great egg station and dinner buffet had a good pasta station. There are comments on other reviews about bringing ketchup etc., that is a little ridiculous as they have ketchup, mayo and mustard etc. We tried the cuban and international a la cart, both were ok, not great. The Italian restaurant was the best one, with plenty of food and good pizza. At lunch we always went to the snack bar by the pool which served hot dogs, hamburgers and hot sandwiches..this was the best meal of the day. The downfall of was the coffee, they were not serving Cubita coffee so the coffee was not worth drinking.

Entertainment/People: We enjoyed the shows every night and the people in general are very nice, especially the servers at breakfast/lunch & dinner.

Overall we had a great trip, the resort itself is nice and clean, a little dated and old but they were doing renovations while we were there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank AT001
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed here in January and went back in April, 2012. The hotel is great and the staff is awesome. We made some good friends here. The hotel is clean and the grounds are beautiful. The food is is good. The beach is incredible, the bluest water you have ever seen. We plan to go back again and will not stay anywhere else. We loved this place and loved Cuba..

Room Tip: Our room was close to the buffet and even closer to the pool.. We stayed in a suite and it was great...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends