“We had a great time! But honestly the food is REALLY bad!”

Gran Caribe Villa Tortuga
Ranked #39 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed March 8, 2009

Okay, so my partner and I just spent a week in Varadero at the Villa Tortuga. He and I had an amazing trip and are already talking about our return. I have been to Cuba before but didn’t have nearly as much fun as I did this time.

So, on to the Tortuga as this is what the review is to be about… well the location is GREAT! Being one of the first off the bus within 25 minutes of leaving the airport is really a nice treat. Check-in was crazy slow but we had read about this in the reviews so we lounged on the couches, changed into some cooler clothes and just made the most of the evening while letting others go ahead. Then when everyone else was done, we got up, checked in quickly and headed off to our room.

Our room was pretty basic but tidy and efficient. The bathroom was fine but with no vanity it made storage of our toiletries a bit of a pain. We had lots of hot water in our shower but the pressure left a bit to be desired. The closet doors were a bit of a challenge and the patio door didn’t lock but we weren’t worried. The outlets are fine and we hooked up our travel dvd player for movies when we wanted some down time. After ditching all of our stuff and setting up the safe with passports etc. ($10 peso deposit) we went off to have a ham and cheese sandwich and a few rums before heading off to bed.

A/C in room worked great and there were extra blankets and pillows. Towels were changed daily and while the sheets weren’t changed unless you asked, our room was tidied, our clothes folded, our bed made nicely with those crazy towel creatures they love to do. We left the made treats and a peso each day and at the end of the week our travel mugs, pencils, candies and other toiletries.

We loved the lobby bar for great Café con leche (expresso coffee with hot water and steamed milk) which were delicious and lovely wicker chairs with umbrellas. They also made a fantastic pina colada as well as any other drink you asked for. The bar tenders are pretty adventurous there so just ask! If you are looking for more premium alcohol, like brandy or cognac, just ask, they keep it under the bar.

The pool / snack bar was fun and often turned into large groups of people chatting, smoking cigars and having fun. There is no disco and the nightly entertainment is pretty bad… but pretty very funny. This snack bar always has hot fresh sandwiches with either ham and cheese or just cheese (sometimes tomatoes) 24 hours a day. During the day they usually have hotdogs or hamburgers for part of the day. The Italian a la carte has pizza. We didn’t go, but I heard it was good and that their pasta was really good too. I believe it can be booked for lunch or dinner. There is another a la carte that serves a traditional Cuban meal, again we didn’t have that. The a la cartes are a pain in the butt to book so do it right away! I also think that for a few pesos you can get in easier and more often (not much you can’t “buy” in Cuba!). We gave up in frustration.

The bar on the beach can get a little harried but with the large travel mugs it’s worth the wait. Get a big drink and just enjoy the ocean. The beach is stunning. Miles and miles of sand and surf. It is also actually quite clean. I had read a lot of reviews about it being terrible and it wasn’t at all. Some crappy tourists felt no need to pick up after themselves so there were always a few plastic cups but usually people picked up around them. They also raked the beach in the early mornings with a tractor. The water was cool when we were there and one day the beach was closed for swimming due to rough surf and jelly fish after that there were caution flags and the life guards would whistle and keep you in your sites.

The pool was pretty chilly too but they don’t heat it and the nights were pretty cool. It is a great pool for kids as it is quite shallow and gradual.

The entire resort is kept pretty clean. They are investing in the newer VIP rooms by the ocean and that may be worth the upgrade. We were fine with basic as all we wanted to do was sleep and wash there. The bathrooms around the resort were clean as well as long as the patrons didn’t get stupid in them (which occasionally they did!) and as soon as anyone reported it they cleaned it quickly. The bathrooms by the dining room do not have toilet seats. Most of Cuba doesn’t have toilet seats though… so get used to it!

Most of the people working there were super friendly and fun. There was one woman working at the front desk that was outrageously rude and I was shocked whenever I had to interact with her. The woman at the bank drove us all a bit nuts as well as she would often disappear for hours and everyone would tell you she would be back in 10 minutes!

Okay… so … the food. Like I said, I have been to Cuba before and had read the reviews of the Tortuga so I was prepared. Or I thought I was. The food at the Tortuga is really really terrible! Go to breakfast. It is the best meal of the day and you can always have toast or made to order eggs (tell them to cook it longer than they like to), a bowl of cereal, yogurt and the bacon, when cooked enough, is quite good. Lunch is terrible and Dinner too. Don’t get me wrong, you won’t starve but we discovered after the second day that they cater to a German clientele. So… liver, brussel sprouts, plain boiled potatoes, boiled cabbage, very strange sausage (and I like sausages), rabbit, and other weird things. There was always rice and beans which are a Cuban staple. Not much of a salad bar, fruit or desserts but the ice cream is good. We starting eating out one meal a day, which is super cheap if you know what you are doing. Go to Kiki’s just a the front of the resort, get the pizza and a couple of beers or a combo meal. Fantastic and cheap. Also, in Varadero you can get a burger and fries for a few pesos too (less than $5). We also went to the “Steak House” (which takes VISA) and enjoyed some of the best food there! There are tons of restaurants that serve fresh lobster and all sorts of seafood for next to nothing and you can negotiate a better price. (the locals are not allowed to eat seafood!!) Cuban food does not have to be awful. The resort just made a mess of it!

We loved the Varadero beach bus and paid the 5 pesos to ride and see everything and then got off at the Rum House and walked back. We walked through the back streets and saw people’s homes, a school, many local businesses and more of the real side of the people living in Varadero. We felt totally safe and even wandered out and downtown in the evenings.

We did one day trip to Havana and it was worth it to do once. I would go to Havana again, I just wouldn’t pay for the tour. If you ask your travel rep. He can arrange for you to “just ride the bus” to and from Havana for 40 pesos instead of the 67 pesos the tour costs.

So all and all our trip was about relaxing, getting some sun and experiencing Cuba and that is what we got for a really great price. So, I would say... book the Tortuga on a deal and plan for some inexpensive, awesome meals out on the town. You won’t regret it at all.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CanuckTraveller2009
Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed March 8, 2009

The GOOD!
Beautiful beach! I lived in the Turks and Caicos islands for a time and never thought I would find a beach so lovely. Varadero's beach was right on par. Perfect. The pool was great too. Perfect temp and very refreshing. The Coffee Bar! Great cappuccinos and espresso shots. Location is super. Right near downtown Varadero. Close to many flea markets and places to grab a snack or meal.

The Bad-
Snack bar had burgers 2 out of the 8 days we were there. The drinks are all rum or vodka based and they use the cheapest kind possible. (they had beer as well, which was OK, my husband quite liked the Cristal brand.) Made my tummy ache every time. The service is bad. They act as if you are a pain to them, even when I was very kind and spoke in Spanish I felt like I was making their day hell. The rooms had paper thin walls. we heard everything. Everything:) haha. The worst was in the morning when other guests felt the need to "yell" talk while walking through the halls.

THE HORRIBLE!
We arrived at the Villa Tortuga at 8am...and were not able to check in until 4pm. I blame this more on the tour operator than the hotel, but I think they should offer early check in at a charge...I would have paid $100 to get in that room, I was sooooo tired and just wanted a shower.
THE FOOD! Oh GOD! The food was my nightmare. The second day I wanted to cry. I am by no means a fine diner. Give me pizza hut and a coke zero and I am happy. This food was bland and the texture was...well, I almost vomited while thinking of the congealed white pasta sauce. Ick. It was not good anywhere else for that matter. The only place that we were happy with was Kiki's Club which is just a block east of the resort. I got a decent pizza for 4 cuc and my husband got an amazing lobster platter for 12 cuc! The resort food was bad enough that I may never go back there again. I heard it was awful at even the 5 star joints as well.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alexjamesd
Reviewed March 6, 2009

On the whole found the cubans at the hotel sullen and unwilling. Yes there are jelly fish on the beach and 3 days of beach time were wasted as you could not go in the water.

Food bland and uninspiring but adequate. Room definately okay and our little maid and after 11.00pm it was very quiet on the whole. Couldn't say I didn't enjoy the beach and the weather after all the snow but there are definately more welcoming places to go. They certainly need more staff at reception as there was always a big line up. More info when we got there would have been very helpful as we felt a little lost.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aquila35
Reviewed February 19, 2009

My mom and I just got back from a week at Villa Tortuga in Varadero, Cuba. I found previous reviews to be helpful in my decision to go to VT as well as what to expect so I want to share my opinions in hopes of helping out someone else.

First of all, this resort is classified as a 2.5 + star… well, I think that it is closer to a 3 or 3.5 star, to be fair. Having been able to compare this resort with the Occidental Miramar, a four-star hotel in Havana (part of the Havana Special package with Cubatur which includes day use of hotel so you can shower after a full day of touring before dinner and the Tropicana show – more on this later!), I can honestly say that aside from a little extra polish and finishing with the decor, there was virtually no difference between the two hotels.

We stayed in a standard room at Villa Tortuga - if staying in a room that includes a bath tub and view of the ocean is important, you can upgrade (it wasn’t worth it to us as a) I’m more of a shower person and b) ocean view isn’t important to me as the main purpose of my vacation was not to spend the day in the room but to be out, enjoying the weather, culture & scenery. We arrived late Friday evening to find one poor guy at the reception desk checking everyone in. A little patience is all that is required here… he was doing his best and hey, we were on vacation – time to put away the timetables and schedules, right? Just as he finished checking us in, Raulito came and grabbed both my mother’s and my suitcases (not light, I might add) and carried them all the way to our room on the second floor (no elevators). He even took the time to get us settled in our room – I felt very bad that I had no pesos to tip him with and gave him a little notebook and pen (I made a point of finding him later on in the week once I had pesos and tipped him for his service). The room was a little on the dim side, but was clean and seemed fairly modern. There were plenty of clean towels in the bathroom as well as two mini-bottles of shampoo and two little bars of ‘hotel’ soap. Aside from the smell of the room (which is inescapable as it is a very damp climate in Varadero), my overall opinion of the room was ‘pleasant’ and ‘adequate’.

As we had arrived late, we obviously missed dinner but were able to grab a sandwich at the snack bar. Pretty much at any point in the day, we were able to get a ham & cheese sandwich, hot dog or a hamburger from the snack bar and these were pretty good. The food in the buffet… well, my motto for this is ‘it is what it is’. Cuba is a third-world country with limited resources. If you are going to a hotel for the food (and you are fussy), perhaps this isn’t the place for you. I consider myself fussy but went into this with eyes wide open – it wasn’t ‘haute cuisine’ but we always managed to find something to eat. Be sensible about what you choose (i.e. be careful with the premixed salads that may have mayonnaise as well as some of the meats and the scrambled eggs). We also brought along some snacks from home (i.e. granola bars, almonds, etc.) that helped tide us over. Back to the four-star hotel in Havana… we were also served dinner there and to be honest, I found there to be absolutely no difference in the quality of food between the two places (put like this: if I had paid the extra money to stay at a four-star to learn that the food was the same and everything else was more or less the same, I would’ve felt ‘burned’). Definitely book a reservation at the a la carte restaurant – I had pizza, which was quite good and the atmosphere was a bit more pleasant than the cafeteria-like air to the regular buffet restaurant.

The staff at the hotel was, for the most part, very nice and pleasant. The gardener stopped us on our first day and climbed a palm tree to pick us each a coconut – lots of fun! I had read somewhere that this was $1.00 peso per coconut but he charged us 2 for $5.00 pesos… inflation, I guess? No worries, it was worth it! He even told us (in very broken English) to come back when we had drank all the coconut milk and he would split the coconuts open for us so we could enjoy the coconut flesh. There were a couple of staff who didn’t seem to care that much (one woman at the front desk seemed to enjoy chit-chatting with anyone (fellow staff or guests) who spoke Spanish and if you asked her for something, she delegated it to someone else and a bartender who did much of the same thing… he seemed to think he was a gift to women, spending lots of time yapping with anyone in a small bikini, even when you stood there waiting!) After a day or two of this, I decided to only tip to those who deserved it – on the topic of tipping, you will find a lot of varied opinions on this topic. We generally tipped $1.00 CUC peso per person per service. We left a gift and a peso each day for the maid and at the end of our stay, left our travel mugs, magazines, plastic containers and $10.00 pesos. We also gave a gift to one helpful lady at the reception desk – she was so thrilled to receive the cosmetic gift bag we made up for her (her first question was ‘… with the ‘good soap’??), this truly enlightened us to how limited their resources are. I guess you will come across people there who feel that tips are forthcoming to them (and that they will get them regardless) and others who have a sense of pride in what they do, who want to feel a sense of earning. Bear in mind – one CUC peso converts roughly into 28 pesos (CUC pesos are only intended for tourists; the other pesos are the currency that the Cubans typically use).

The weather was a little cool the first day (they were just coming off a cold stream), but generally, we couldn’t have asked for better weather - sunny days, blue skies, nice light breezes. Keep in mind that it is on the humid side and if you are not in the sun, you are likely to feel a damp coolness – bring a sweater or light jacket for the evenings for this reason.

There is a double-decker bus that stops across the main road from the driveway that leads up to the hotel – for $5.00 CUC pesos, you can ride unlimitedly for the day (just keep the paper pass you are given when you first get on). This bus just goes up and down the peninsula, so if you want to see all of Varadero (check out some of the higher-end hotels at the end), you will not get lost as the bus will eventually come back to where it picked you up. There are a couple of malls (not really worth checking out, in my opinion, unless you are wanting a break from the hotel food, the big mall (Plaza America) has a Pizza Nova - great food, not-so-great service). There are also a few flea markets (the big one is at 15th Street – don’t worry, they will announce this if you are on the bus) – just know that all the flea markets sell the same stuff and there really won’t be much of a price difference if you go from one vendor to the next.

Some friendly helpful tips: You may want to bring a couple of rolls of toilet paper with you and be sure to carry some as well as some anti-bacterial wipes. They generally have someone in the washroom who will sell you toilet paper to use – there is none in the stalls! Do an excursion or two… if nothing else go to Havana and soak up some of the culture and history. If you can, stay for the Tropicana show as it is incredible and should not be missed (bring toilet paper for your 2-hour bus ride – there is a toilet on the bus, but no toilet paper!). If you are looking for good seafood, check out Restaurant Arrecife – we had excellent lobster tails and were even serenaded while we ate! You can buy bottled water (plain or sparkling) at the little corner store at the end of the driveway where the main road is – just be careful to check your change as they may try to short-change you (they gave me $0.50 CUC instead of $1.00 CUC – the coins are almost the same size).

Our room was cleaned daily and we were almost daily offered fresh, clean towels. The maid did different towel and or blanket art daily which was entertaining and appreciated. I did not see a single insect in or around our room (the only bugs we saw anywhere were flies which were in abundance no matter where we were in Varadero). We didn’t get a chance to check out the evening entertainment so we cannot comment on it, however be advised that their P.A. system is quite loud and you will most likely hear it from your room, regardless of where you are on the resort. There are also afternoon activities every day – we played Bingo one day, which was fun. This hotel is located very conveniently close to downtown Varadero (but still on the ocean) – you can walk to the flea markets and the bank (although there is a bank representative on site at the hotel until 8PM every day and the rates are fairly close). It also looks like they have been putting in some work at the resort – the washrooms seem to be fairly new. Overall, this hotel is just fine and well worth the money. If I were to return to Varadero, I would most likely consider staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2009
15  Thank ms_skeezix
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Just got back from a week at the villa. We found the place surprisingly very good after reading some of the reviews, we were apprehensive. The location is only 10 minutes by the tour bus $5 dollar round trip into town flea markets and further down to Jacque Park and the Americas Shopping Plaza. We found the resort very clean tiles shone, and the rooms were satisfactory some small, and presentable overall. The cleaning maids were efficient and made little towel animals on our beds everyday.
The pool was large and yet more for children, as far as no diving or real deep ends. It was clean and always in use by travelors.
The resort is spread out so some blocks of rooms are surrounding the inner ones. There is a tennis court and basketball hoop which were often used as well. The beach is only a few meters away, and white sand and plenty of palm umbrellas for shade. Lots of lounge chairs for use. Bring your own towels (we did). A beach bar was convenient and service was with a smile.
The food was served at three times a day and although some of it was recycled, we found enough to eat and never went hungry. The staff were polite and served wine or beer with lunch and dinner. They had chicken and beef and pork dishes as well as sheep and lamb and fish. Squash, broccoli, carrots potatoes rice, noodles etc. There was a salad bar that served some macaroni salads as well as fresh vegetables and cheese. Grapefruit, bananas, pineapples and other baked deserts were simple but icecream was always in abundance.
Some things not so good:
The alacarte was disappointing the Italian " Neptune" had no wine the night we went and the service was poor. Food was satisfactory.
The first night we were at the very front end of the hotel facing the street and the street (traffic)noises kept us awake a long time.
We found the next room across from the pool and poolside bar, a little noisy with the microphone man. The room we had was shaded and so because of the cement exterior/interior was somewhat damp and our clothes seemed to get damp too because of it.
Things to do:
We took a tour into Havanna and really enjoyed that seeing the Hotel Hemmingway stayed in and other sites, very good for the money. Gave away soap and pencils in the market square and to the school children practising excerises while we stopped by.
Tropicanna Matanzas was another very good show wonderful costumes and quite a lovely perfomance, worth the ticket.
Performances at the hotel were on an outdoor stage but were well rehearsed and entertaining as well. Amateurish? well not professionals are they? But they performed well and we liked the entire performances, because, honestly, it was something to break up the evening nicely.
The people (even hotel maids workers etc) are very appreciative of things we take for granted, ie soap shampoo, pens pencils paper. Any venture outside of the hotel be prepared to bring toilet paper with you because they have pay guards outside the "banos" everywhere else. We gave a few pesos anyway but they have to make money I suppose. It was annoying after a while ie on the wait for the airplane at the airport..they waited there too for you.
The weather was cold the first two nights but they were accomodating and brought us more blankets.
Jacques Parque was serenely pretty-- did not get a chance to see it all, but enough to have a pina colatta and the reviews were true..the best one I ever tasted..will post pictures.
I would stay there again and as far as some rating it a 2.5 star, I wouldn't say that, I would say 3 - 3.5 star. We met people from Peterboro who stayed in a 4.5 star and it was near a marina, the hotel was great but outdoors they got large mosquito bite welts size of a loony, all over their bodies even had to seek medical advise.
We hardly saw a bug. A few little ones but mosquitos flies, they are all over the world and we are never gonna truly escape them ..
So go and have a good time. I would recommend this hotel gladly.
I went with my mother and I am middle aged and found it to be just right. There were families, young people who seemed to find disco night life easy too, couples, and seniors, something for everyone.

• Stayed: February 2009
4  Thank charlies-girl9
Reviewed February 9, 2009

We stayed here Feb 2-9, 2009.

Ill start with the great thing about Tortuga- the location to the gorgeous beach, although it could use a good clean up. There were life guards there every day also which is a little comforting. The room was not the greatest but i didnt go to Cuba for a room, i wanted water and the sun. It was clean for the most part, (we had quite a few baby moths in our room, killed them and just got 2ce as many more??)

Maid (Judy) was adorable. No complaints other than they dont take away your dirty glasses. I left money on the bathroom counter for days to see if it would remain, and yes it was there every time. We did not use the safe and my wallet was in the room the whole stay with credit cards and all, no issues. No hand soap ever left for us.

The pool wasnt huge but great for us, as we brought our 2 year old son with us. There is a great kiddie pool, and the adult pool is very shallow and dips slowly. It was also very clean.

The food was good, not great, bland but eatable. The selection seemed the same most days. The ice cream was soo good, deserts we exact same each day, and each is the same just different coloring (and bland), no one was sick from it while we were there (weve only been home a few hours so hopefully this fact will stay true)

Minor complaints I ordered a juice for my son at the bar, bartender loaded it with rum, good thing i was watching, he assumed it was for me i guess??? Service with Ricardo at the main bar was terrible, maybe tip him your first order for better service? Staff was a little too interested in younger female guests (just watching and minor gestures, but still unnecessary)

Advice-considering packing heinze ketchup(theirs was terrible), seasoning salt (or something to spice up the food) all bathroom toiletries including hand soap and TP (theirs was like sand paper, seriously), jacket, and extra cash for your $35 (in can $) for you tax to leave country, they dont take credit cards,

Overall I would recommend the hotel, we considering staying here again, but will probably venture to another hotel for my next visit to Veradero (unless the price was right) If you go with your expectations along the middle line, and just sit back and relax, youll have a great time here!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank K_Family_Travellers
Reviewed January 29, 2009

We had heard a lot from various family and friends about Cuba, so we sort of knew what to expect. We didn't pay a lot for our trip-$400 plus $200 taxes, so we weren't expecting luxury or great food. We didn't get either. What we did get was a week away from bitterly cold temperatures at home, at an older, and somewhat worn resort. Our rooms were not ready when we arrived, exhausted, so we dozed in the lobby for a couple of hours. The standard rooms were not great, but they were clean. We were upgraded to a better room because they couldn't put us together with our children (ages 12 & 13), despite the fact we booked early Dec. So, we went from 2 very old worn rooms, to one newer, big, bright, oceanfront room. The room was great, but 4 of us in one room for a week-shudder! We had to chase staff for sufficient toilet paper & towels, which is kinda funny now. Sometimes the language barrier was a problem, but we managed. The food was not good, nor was it horrible, just somewhere in between. We usually could always find something we liked. The staff was friendly and tried hard to please. All were very appreciative of any tips you left. The food at the International Restaurant was great. The beach was wonderful, even though most days it was too rough to swim...ah, the waves....!! The pool was ok as well. We are very fair skinned, and always found plenty of shade. The shows at nite were ok. One thing we found annoying was the volume of the loudspeaker in the afternoon poolside when we wanted to relax. Any activity was broadcast VERY loudly, before, during, and after. Overall, we got good value for our money. I would stay there again, but only for the same price. We had a great time & wish we were still there.
P.S. at the last minute, a friend suggested we take jackets and I'm sooo glad we did. It was quite cool at times!! Surprisingly so!!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family